Diablo 3 Discussion Thread

This is 100% self-found since 2.0 (I sold all my gear before the patch hit): http://us.battle.net/d3/en/profile/Renegade-1197/hero/800263

Although gloves should be 9.5% crit instead of 5.5, and my in-game DPS/toughness is 290k/890k (pretty much almost the same as Merc1138).

You definitely need to simply grind it out. It didn't take me a couple of days to get all the gear. You should also look into switching your skills up too, it just doesn't strike me as being effective in Torment with your gear.

I guess I just have to grind more then...here's what I've got going:

http://us.battle.net/d3/en/profile/MavericK-11778/hero/39362850

Both the bow and quiver are from the AH because nothing else I've found was even remotely close. Haven't upgraded most of the gear in a long time because all drops have been worse, especially in terms of damage.

I've seen a lot of DH builds using the passive where it makes you do 20% more damage when you're more than 10 yards from an enemy, but especially soloing I've never actually found that to be that useful because you always get swarmed.

The gem in your weapon is crap. I don't have max gems in all of my gear either, but getting that to be a 90 or 100% crit damage gem will make a difference. Stick an emerald in your ring too, and ditch the brooding passive for something that can help your damage. Brooding relies on standing around. If you're standing still you're getting hit. If you're standing around between the mob you just killed and the next, you're wasting time.

Like I mentioned previously, you'll never be able to get your damage mitigation high enough to matter, so while gaining some survivability is nice, you shouldn't do it at the cost of your damage output.

Also during your journeys, blacksmith recipes drop a hell of a lot more often now than they used to. Salvage all of the white items you can(yes, this means picking up every white item you see. You need tons of the common debris for crafting now), and once you get yourself some recipes that are useful for your class, try 'em out. You might need to craft 50 pairs of pants to get a perfect set, so I wouldn't bother with that. But one or two crafts to get try and get something decent is reasonable.

Yeah...that's the best gem I have at the moment, but I am going to upgrade pretty soon I think...been grinding gems in Act 1 from treasure goblins.

As for crafting materials, I've found a fair amount of yellow plans but it's mostly for stuff that doesn't help me (one-handed blades, INT-based gear, etc.). I have a ton of crafting mats though, and I've tried crafting a few pants/shoulders/etc. but for the most part it's all ended up being crap. Those shoulders I have now are the only usable thing I've gotten out of it so far.

Thanks for the advice...I'll give all that a try.

There are ways to increase your damage mitigation, its just life steal is not one of them. Life on hit + all resist is a nicer combo now.

The gem in your weapon is crap. I don't have max gems in all of my gear either, but getting that to be a 90 or 100% crit damage gem will make a difference. Stick an emerald in your ring too, and ditch the brooding passive for something that can help your damage. Brooding relies on standing around. If you're standing still you're getting hit. If you're standing around between the mob you just killed and the next, you're wasting time.

Like I mentioned previously, you'll never be able to get your damage mitigation high enough to matter, so while gaining some survivability is nice, you shouldn't do it at the cost of your damage output.

Also during your journeys, blacksmith recipes drop a hell of a lot more often now than they used to. Salvage all of the white items you can(yes, this means picking up every white item you see. You need tons of the common debris for crafting now), and once you get yourself some recipes that are useful for your class, try 'em out. You might need to craft 50 pairs of pants to get a perfect set, so I wouldn't bother with that. But one or two crafts to get try and get something decent is reasonable.

Brooding helps DPS since you can stand in quite a few things and continue DPS while it heals you. It is for fights, not to use between fights :)

I know I downloaded D3 the other night, I suppose I should jump in at some point! :)

This. Another way at looking at what Torment you should farm is:

150k DPS T1
200k DPS T2
250k DPS T3
300k DPS T4+

This is unbuffed DPS -- also you will need eHP of about 800k-1.5 mil to easily do T3-4 without dying, regardless of class (minus the DH he is screwed up).

My Wizard has 800k toughness and 350k DPS unbuffed (buffed with paragon not skills) and I can easily do t4-t5 rather fast but I stick with t4 for the speed.

Stop doing boss runs, this is not D2. Bosses don't drop shit in this game. It is better to farm Act3 Keeps 1-3 than farm bosses.

Good guidelines, although the paperdoll DPS/Toughness/Healing is way off. I think that's a little pessimistic. T1 should be comfortable with ~100K, T2 ~125-150K, T3 ~ 150-200K, T4 200-300K DPS. I haven't tried 5 or 6, but the health multiplier really starts getting crazy after T3 (especially on champs and elite packs).

Also, the + % elemental damage doesn't really show on the paperdoll right. If you're smart with your elemental damage and skills you can be doing much more DPS than the paperdoll says.

Been having a lot of fun with it... My experience... Treasure Goblins > Containers > Elite Packs > Bosses on legendary items. We set it to T2 and faceroll Act 3 keep/barracks killing as many treasure goblins as we can stand.

That's RNGesus' plan for me so far.

There are ways to increase your damage mitigation, its just life steal is not one of them. Life on hit + all resist is a nicer combo now.

Life on hit is healing, not damage mitigation.It'll get your HP back up after smaller hits sure, but if something on T6 swings hard enough and you don't have the armor and resist all that a monk, barb, or even a wizard(the monk and barb already take 30% less as it is, the wizard gets an extra 17% from a passive on top of your resist all, armor, ice armor, and any other skills I might have missed(that level 64 passive adds another 20%...). Even the WD gets a flat 15% damage reduction passive compared to the DH's 10%.

Brooding helps DPS since you can stand in quite a few things and continue DPS while it heals you. It is for fights, not to use between fights :)

That's great up until you start running into things that can 1-2 shot you, and doesn't do any good as you've moving around avoiding melee mobs.

Would it be wise to sell this for whatever the going rate is now?
CHC6rYM.jpg

Is there an [H] clan? Most of the randos I play with online are pretty sloppy with multiplayer - don't stick together, no communication, etc. I'm 34, usually play most weeknights between 10pm-1am eastern, and would love to join a mature group, if any are accepting new members.

As I suspected. Thank you for your input :)

Is there an [H] clan? Most of the randos I play with online are pretty sloppy with multiplayer - don't stick together, no communication, etc. I'm 34, usually play most weeknights between 10pm-1am eastern, and would love to join a mature group, if any are accepting new members.
I've been wondering the same. It'd be helpful to play with a well-put-together group, seeing as that's the new MF

We have a [H]Community for Diablo 3, but making an actual guild wouldn't be a bad idea.

yeah - anyone wanting to cash in on some nice items you've been holding onto but never use should do it now... the last hoorah for the AH is now.

This. Another way at looking at what Torment you should farm is:

150k DPS T1
200k DPS T2
250k DPS T3
300k DPS T4+

This is unbuffed DPS -- also you will need eHP of about 800k-1.5 mil to easily do T3-4 without dying, regardless of class (minus the DH he is screwed up).

My Wizard has 800k toughness and 350k DPS unbuffed (buffed with paragon not skills) and I can easily do t4-t5 rather fast but I stick with t4 for the speed.

Stop doing boss runs, this is not D2. Bosses don't drop shit in this game. It is better to farm Act3 Keeps 1-3 than farm bosses.

OUCH

I think my barb is 124k unbuffed, lol. I farm T2, though..

You'll are getting geared up. :) I keep finding the same damn ring over and over on each character or a 1,000 dps weapon. I mean literally the same named ring with slightly different stats. I bite my thumb at you Blizzard! Ha ha!

I don't agree with this, my Monk does 80k DPS and can do T3 just fine.

Elemental damage really helps in this area. I know people with low sheet dps who farm higher torment levels fine because they're stacked with +elemental damage. Also, the mode you play really changes.

80k dps would be too slow for me. My monk has 116k dps and I barely go above expert. Torment 1 is just too slow for my taste. Of course, I also stick to HC, and even with 3 million toughness and 12k healing, there have been close calls (frozen nightmare waller arcade mallet lords).

I know people tend to use the goblin test to see if they can play a difficulty, but I prefer the speed achievement tests. If you can't beat most of the bosses in 30 seconds or less, lower the difficulty. I admit I get frustrated when I join a public Torment 1 game, and have 3x the dps as the next character. I want to know that if I lag out and lose connection, my party members have the dps to kill whatever mobs are around me so I don't die during that time.

I do OK in Master with ~110k DPS and like 450k toughness on my monk. The only time I am in trouble is when I can't attack the elite mobs enough to get spirit and my troll bell can't stun them :p

What is the Goblin Test btw? If you can kill him before he disappears?

Yeah, First time I have heard of "The Goblin Test". Keep in mind that Goblins have more HP than your run of the mill monsters.

funny, i've never heard anyone say it, but this is how i typically gauge the difficulty. If i can't kill the goblin, lower it.

funny, i've never heard anyone say it, but this is how i typically gauge the difficulty. If i can't kill the goblin, lower it.

Yeah, that's quite common knowledge. If you can kill a treasure goblin without any assistance then your at about the right level. aka the goblin test.

See, which is odd because I can kill a treasure goblin in Torment 1 with my DH, but I get utterly rolled trying to play in TM1 otherwise. I think it's mostly due to low survivability as others have mentioned.

Also it feels like there is a huge jump in difficulty between Master and TM1...Master is too easy, whereas I can't solo TM1 at all.

It's not about measuring your survivability. It's about seeing if you have enough dps to play. If you can't kill a treasure goblin, you might easily run into the enrage timers, and all the toughness in the world won't save you from Zoltan Kulle or Belial who can 1 or 2 shot you once enraged.

The new patch changed how the game worked, and no longer is the mantra dps, dps, and more dps. I could easily solo MP8 before the new patch, and could even handle MP10 fairly well. DPS wise, I can handle Torment 3 & 4, but even at Torment 2 I notice that if I let the enrage timer hit on The Butcher, the flames will do more damage than my healing mitigation. With my hardcore character though, I can survive the Butcher on Torment 5, even with my low dps of ~116k.

I thought enraged phases are gone? I haven't seen them at all.

I have a 65k DPS / 1.2 mil toughness Demon Hunter and I get by fine in T1 group play. I am often the person that isn't dead so it sort of balances out with the majority of people going glass cannon.

I have a bunch of Legendaries to identify, that should put up my DPS a lot. I did a Quest Reset and played though the entire campaign over the weekend, I think I died once the whole time.

Yes there is a HardOCP Clan and also a HardOCP Community. Easy to find. :)

You will see <HOCP> on a few running around.

Last edited:
I thought enraged phases are gone? I haven't seen them at all.

They got rid of the enrage timers for the uber bosses, and I'm pretty sure the elite packs as well. Azmodan will still cover the floor in crap, the butcher's floor will completely light up, not sure about the rest of the bosses.

I've started a HC Barbarian and it's actually my first Barbarian ever, from even D2. I just never really liked the class and preferred to hit and run from a distance. I'm having a great time so far though and have made it to level 40. I'm really not sure what skills are maximizing my damage, here is what I'm running right now. Only running weapons and armor that I find since I never put any Barb gear in my stash playing other classes. Here is what I'm running right now, anyone have suggestions for changing up my skills?

https://us.battle.net/d3/en/calculator/barbarian#beXdkP!acV!abbaaZ

Dang i forgot to buy tons of gems before they close AH so i could try craft some more and now its closed :( wtf... this sucks stupid crap what am i gonna do with all gold then????? F U blizzard

Dang i forgot to buy tons of gems before they close AH so i could try craft some more and now its closed :( wtf... this sucks stupid crap what am i gonna do with all gold then????? F U blizzard

Gems will be worthless when RoS hits anyway, new bind on account gems will be dropping.

wow, the AH closing was announced months in advance....

Hoping that RoS fixes a lot of the issues.

Currently I have found ONE upgrade for my wizard. Found a wizard spike dagger that beats my chantodos.

Finding the trifecta gear (or even two of IAS, CC, CD) is going to be impossible without trading. I still can't believe that went full retard to account bound items.

Whoever said it on here about how to farm items is correct. If you want to find items then do quick normal runs. If you want EXP and Gold then do torment. If you can do torment EFFICENTLY then then of course to that.

Really looking forward to RoS as most eveything that starts dropping will be upgrades. Hoping it wont be hard to find the legendary mats and crafting materials to keep trying for the new elite gear.

Getting trifecta gear is pretty easy in RoS with the help of the mystic.
In the 2 weeks I was in the beta I had decent trifecta Amulet, Gloves, and Rings. The problem is with the 4/2 affix system....you can't have trifecta with Mainstat and Vit or resist all.

Unless your a Monk. Then you get to have the best of both worlds as single resits roll as a secondary affix.

It won't suck in a week when those gems would have been worthless. And the Mystic is the new gold sink

It won't suck in a week when those gems would have been worthless. And the Mystic is the new gold sink

Mystic fees rise exponentially each time you try re-rolling a stat on a particular piece of gear. Should be a great way to burn huge piles of gold! :D

Back