Diablo 3 Discussion Thread

That's unfortunate. You could try squeezing mantra of resonance in (halves the spirit cost of mantras and gives you 2 spirit/sec) but you'd have to give up either defense or healing. I switched to using it and it allows a much higher uptime on mantra spamming and the use of spenders.

Also I'm pretty sure when you learn a set it teaches you all of the items, you should be able to craft the others - look at your armory page and mouse over the "Hollowed Storm" axe, it says "Plans: Hallowed Defenders" - not the specific weapon.

That's unfortunate. You could try squeezing mantra of resonance in (halves the spirit cost of mantras and gives you 2 spirit/sec) but you'd have to give up either defense or healing. I switched to using it and it allows a much higher uptime on mantra spamming and the use of spenders.

Also I'm pretty sure when you learn a set it teaches you all of the items, you should be able to craft the others - look at your armory page and mouse over the "Hollowed Storm" axe, it says "Plans: Hallowed Defenders" - not the specific weapon.

Oh, well, damn you're right....I have a bunch of items I can craft. I assumed it was only the weapon :p I guess I got too excited lol

Yea, I power leveled my WD to 60 within an hour. It feels kind of cheesy right now, I'm not sure if Blizz will 'fix' it. It might be amusing on hardcore - powerleveling sure is tempting on HC after you die, but be careful not to get too greedy and get 1 shot.

So what is the current powerleveling process?

edit: found this: http://www.reddit.com/r/diablo3/comments/204ry8/what_is_the_best_way_to_power_level_someone/

summary: creating a game at a high torment lvl with a low lvl character is the key.

Last edited:
So what is the current powerleveling process?

edit: found this: http://www.reddit.com/r/diablo3/comments/204ry8/what_is_the_best_way_to_power_level_someone/

summary: creating a game at a high torment lvl with a low lvl character is the key.

I didn't actually follow that... worked it out myself, but yes it's the same idea. I started with my friend hosting a level 60 game. While it wasn't any different in terms of mechanics, the exp wasn't great. So I tabled that for a little bit thinking Blizz easily fixed that loophole. Then I realized I could just host my own low level torment game. It then snowballed from there.

What I did was go to the ancient crypt during that Act 1 quest after you meet the Scoundrel. That room in particular has a shit load of mobs. Once you enter the room, there's a checkpoint. Do NOT pick up the orb or it will clear that room on subsequent loads. Clear the room and then reload the game. There will be a convenient TP right into the room (checkpoint). Repeat.

I jumped like 6 levels the first game. Of course it slowed down from there. We maintained T6 up through mid 40's. I forget when we started dialing it down. It became a combination of taking longer to kill mobs - which has two drawbacks: 1) less efficient speed overall 2) if it takes longer to kill, your chances of dying as the lowbie increases a lot. You don't get exp while dead on the ground. And lastly, sometimes the level 60 can't even handle a 2 man T6 high level 40's champion pack (there's always one in there). Or at least, they can't handle it efficiently without dying a couple of times (which inevitably causes the lowbie to get destroyed over and over). We ended on T2 I think going from 59 to 60.

I picked the game up on Saturday for the first time, it's fun so far and I'm enjoying Monk as a main, but had some fun creating all of the other classes last night and trying them out.

I heard a lot of negative and stayed away until this patch and price drop. I'm enjoying it and will casually play... getting decent loot. it's a bit more engaging than Torchlight 2 (fun but cartoony) and less intense than Path of Exile.

I haven't touched this game in just about over a year. Is it worth it to come back just yet?

Sure is. Its not perfect by any means yet, or atleast until RoS officially comes out but its a night and day difference to what it was, in a good way.

Does anyone know if RoS adds any more character slots? I have two of each at 60, (yay bonus xp), and am out of room. Or am I deleting a few when RoS comes out to get the crusaders?

Does anyone know if RoS adds any more character slots? I have two of each at 60, (yay bonus xp), and am out of room. Or am I deleting a few when RoS comes out to get the crusaders?

I believe you get 2 extra slots when you buy RoS, and an extra 3rd slot if you buy the collector's edition.

Not sure if the right thread, but i've tried to join the [H] Community and it's just sitting as pending. I originally tried last week and it seems the original request is gone, so I re-applied.

edit: also, it seems like almost no one plays hardcore :sad:

Not sure if the right thread, but i've tried to join the [H] Community and it's just sitting as pending. I originally tried last week and it seems the original request is gone, so I re-applied.

edit: also, it seems like almost no one plays hardcore :sad:

My level 51 barb with 250k toughness was just melted in 5 seconds by a bullshit freezing shit mob. :(

Hardcore just seems to force you to focus on toughness rather than damage, just making it slower and having to be a bit more careful. I just don't really see the benefit of it, unless you enjoy losing tons of time on a character.

Last edited:
Yea, I power leveled my WD to 60 within an hour. It feels kind of cheesy right now, I'm not sure if Blizz will 'fix' it. It might be amusing on hardcore - powerleveling sure is tempting on HC after you die, but be careful not to get too greedy and get 1 shot.

how'd u power level him in 1 hr?

i wouldnt mind gettin my barb up to 60 :p

My level 51 barb with 250k toughness was just melted in 5 seconds by a bullshit freezing shit mob. :(

Hardcore just seems to force you to focus on toughness rather than damage, just making it slower and having to be a bit more careful. I just don't really see the benefit of it, unless you enjoy losing tons of time on a character.

I know it's not for everyone and we all have different reasons for playing, but that's why I like hardcore, there are consequences and every death has a story. It forces you to think about everything, not just toughness. It makes you think about every upgrade and if a sacrifice in one area is worth it in another. Like what good is 150k life (which is a lot of toughness) if you don't have any health regen or life on hit. You'd be better off with half as much life if it means you have good regen. Since the new patch I'm not concerned about losing gear anymore, upgrading through the AH was annoying. If I lose a character, I at least now know they'll find good stuff along the way AND I don't have to play through the game 4 times. You just have to play knowing you're eventually going to die.

With softcore there's no risk. If I went back to softcore now after playing the majority on hardcore, I would just stack DPS. I wouldn't even have to think about it.

Last edited:
If you cared so much about forum environment you could of just pm'd me.

Don't get me wrong I like finding out a few things here and there about games through forums but like Merc1138 said (paraphrasing) at a certain point people just need to play the game. You can watch 100 youtube videos and read 1,000 posts and it still isn't the same as 15 minutes with the game with 'you' as player in control.

Sure thats all well and good, but the things i asked were extremely simple details that someone could very easily detail without being an ass about it, effective communication is something few are really good at.

Mobs scale to your level, then get adjusted to your difficulty setting. That came up a few posts ago but may have not been answered clearly.

I started on Normal and moved to Hard and did exclusively multiplayer by the time I was a few quests into the game. When I killed diablo the first time I was level 50. Then I went up to Expert to farm gear and XP until 60. Played a bit more on Expert, now I am farming gear and Paragon levels on Master.

Its clear now, the thing that was missing was the mobs scaling. Having a user adjustable difficulty alone does not mean the old tiered system didnt exist anymore. They could have easily implemented and it would have still been perfectly functional

Toughness is incredibly misleading. The problem with it is that it's a measure of how much 'effective hp' you have from 100% hp to 0% hp. It doesn't factor in regaining any of that HP at all. If you heal even a little bit, raw HP becomes worth less and less. The most important stats are mitigation related (resists, armor, reduce dmg by X% from Y source).

Crazy to see people get so stressed out over diablo, a game I consider to be a step up from solitaire.exe(simple time waster when boiled down, but still entertaining).

At any rate, if anyone has diablo 3, and hasn't bothered to play it in ages, they should give it a go with the new system. I can only assume that people who bought diablo 3 but quit wanted a game that played out differently than what we actually got at launch, and that is definitely the case now. Sure, not everyone is going to be satisfied(there are people still demanding clones of D2, demanding offline mode, etc. none of that is going to happen), but it's still worth giving it a shot since you aren't out any more money just to try this whole "loot 2.0" version.

Last edited:
I finally got around to disabling the in-game AA and forcing some settings in the Nvidia control panel (override game AA setting, quality AO, 16 x AF, 32 x CSAA, 8 x transparency AA) and I'm blown away by how much better the game looks. I went from using under 700MB of video ram to 1600MB. Utilization on each card is still only about ~50% in SLI.

I can't believe I ever played with the nasty blur produced by the default game setting.

I finally got around to disabling the in-game AA and forcing some settings in the Nvidia control panel (override game AA setting, quality AO, 16 x AF, 32 x CSAA, 8 x transparency AA) and I'm blown away by how much better the game looks. I went from using under 700MB of video ram to 1600MB. Utilization on each card is still only about ~50% in SLI.

I can't believe I ever played with the nasty blur produced by the default game setting.

I use DarkD3, the balanced option. Game looks so much better with it.

Been having some major problems trying to play today...half the time it errors out trying to start a game.

Always online is awesome! :rolleyes:

same here... when I resume my game the wheels spin for a bit then I get a message about being disconnected from the server. boooo!

Always online is awesome! :rolleyes:

Really, I gave up after three consecutive tries to load the game. I just hands at the loading screen.

Great idea Blizzard! Online only rocks! I love being able to play games that I paid for at your leisure that don't require multiplayer!

Really, I gave up after three consecutive tries to load the game. I just hands at the loading screen.

Great idea Blizzard! Online only rocks! I love being able to play games that I paid for at your leisure that don't require multiplayer!

I was able to get around this by going back and selecting the beginning of a quest. It didn't want to load part way through for whatever reason.

It wouldn't bother me so much if you could Esc out and try again. But no, you are forced to wait for like 30+ seconds before it decides it's not going to work.

It's not even like it's trying to work that entire time, either...I have never had it work if it goes beyond 10 seconds or so.

There is some talk about the D3 servers getting DDoS attacked. I was on tonight with my buddies who all experienced the same latency issues. We are all connected from different parts of the US. In a game we were playing, we all experienced the same lag at the same time. Blizzard is aware of this issue but hasn't mentioned DDoS. That's just all speculation at this point.

http://us.battle.net/d3/en/forum/topic/12082198142#1

I'm certain a lot of these issues regarding game creation are stemming from people spamming COTA runs 30-60 games an hour. The servers weren't meant to handle that many new games at a time.

I'm certain a lot of these issues regarding game creation are stemming from people spamming COTA runs 30-60 games an hour. The servers weren't meant to handle that many new games at a time.

If they took the time to make the game world random then that wouldn't happen. :)

It's believed that the lag is stemming from the launch of the heroes of the storm alpha. Which would mean they are on the same server. I'm not really sure why they would do that though.

This can help shed some light on the lag: https://www.facebook.com/XOCommunications

"Blizzard games packet loss update:
XO is currently working with AT&T on the network congestion issue resulting primarily from the increase in traffic due to Apple’s recent iOS update. Our engineers are working diligently with AT&T to resolve this as soon as possible."

Doing a tracert I have to go through XO and ATT to get to Blizzard's servers. The sad thing is my European friends have no problems connecting to the US server.

You know what pains me about this game is that why can I not play D3 on Tuesday mornings? Why? After all these years and all the money they have taken in from their various games/properties, they haven't thought about doing something with their 12 hour maintenance windows every single Tuesday? And why can't we play D3 during this time? I mean can the server maintenance be so great on the D3 side of stuff that I cannot play this game solo during the maintenance period. It is getting pretty old...

You know what pains me about this game is that why can I not play D3 on Tuesday mornings? Why? After all these years and all the money they have taken in from their various games/properties, they haven't thought about doing something with their 12 hour maintenance windows every single Tuesday? And why can't we play D3 during this time? I mean can the server maintenance be so great on the D3 side of stuff that I cannot play this game solo during the maintenance period. It is getting pretty old...

Theyve had the same maintenance schedule for WOW for years. Possibly related, that being said with that schedule WOW servers have always ran very well so its acceptable to me to an extent.

It is the same schedule with WoW, they do all of their games on the same day at the same time. It just amazes me that with the amount of capital they have taken in over these years that they haven't made a better solution like many others have already done. The last few patches for other games just give you a message to lot out and back in to update the game to the current patch level, all the while the game servers still run. I mean even indy devs have better maintenance solutions in place working than bliz. It's pretty sad...

It is the same schedule with WoW, they do all of their games on the same day at the same time. It just amazes me that with the amount of capital they have taken in over these years that they haven't made a better solution like many others have already done. The last few patches for other games just give you a message to lot out and back in to update the game to the current patch level, all the while the game servers still run. I mean even indy devs have better maintenance solutions in place working than bliz. It's pretty sad...

indie situations are easier to maintain because a) they dont have near the same size infrastructure to deal with and maintain including physical amount of servers and b) coordinating at a smaller level is significantly easier

That is pretty obvious, but still they have a better dynamic. And what about places like SOE where they don't have specific downtime for maintenance, they just do it for all of their games on a game by game basis and most of them don't even shut down. Now again, you could say the difference is that they are smaller, but no game has the WoW numbers, but then again, no game has the WoW capital intake each month either. All I'm sayin is that it seems like with the amount of money they take in, there should be free expansions quarterly for all of their games, or they should spend some on developing a better solution for maintenance, so when I am playing a solo game like D3, it doesn't have to be down for 12 hours for WoW maintenance...

Nearly unlimited development budget plus 10 years? I'm not saying you can just throw more money to make it work, but come on. What is this 2004?

Nearly unlimited development budget plus 10 years? I'm not saying you can just throw more money to make it work, but come on. What is this 2004?

All the money in the world doesn't change that servers will need maintenance of one form or another at some point, and it's better to simply have it scheduled like it has been for years so it's never a surprise.

Unless there is something broken causing unexpected downtime, I can't say that I've ever gotten home from work, kicked my shoes off, planned on playing a blizzard game, and been surprised by random maintenance over the course of the past few years.

A game with maintenance problems randomly taking it offline during irregular times of day being an absolute pain in the ass would be something like Battlefield. No regular schedule, sometimes the game is unplayable on a Tuesday morning, sometimes on a Saturday afternoon, sometimes on a Thursday evening. That is a far bigger nuisance than simply not being able to play a game on Tuesday mornings.

I get what you are saying and it doesn't affect me because I work during days on Tuesdays, but maybe I wasn't making my point clear enough. I'm pretty sure every other game that has remote servers require maintenance but I don't recall a single one that takes their systems down, even the solo play games, for 12 hours every single Tuesday for maintenance. Like you said, they all need maintenance, but I find it hard to believe that the Diablo game servers require that much maintenance that often when no other game companies out there do it like that, but Bliz somehow gets a pass because that is just how they do it? I could see them doing it during a launch week or for an older game like WoW with that amount of players and content but Diablo? I'm not arguing that servers don't need maintenance and I'm not saying the cost would be within reason, all I'm saying is that it amazes me that we have that much apathy to let them continue doing this to a solo-centric game for years without anyone questioning it. You would think that if it was that much of an issue, more companies would do it that way for that length of time.

Massive lag in Diablo 3 right now. WTF is going on? Is it a DDOS attack? Blizzard needs to step up their game. This is BS.

Back