Diablo 3 Discussion Thread

more is better, but life on hit is pretty overpowered compared to the rest. having 1500 life per second takes a lot of different armor pieces to get, and it pales in comparison to 1500 life on hit because even slow attackers are usually 20% faster than 1 per second. bang bang bang health all over the place. it also scales with the amount of trouble you're in (more enemies hit), and life per second does not.

and then there is life steal, which again is nice, more is always nice. but when the break point where it becomes even with 1500 life on hit is probably.... 150k dps, come on. anyone with enough dps to heal from life steal can afford anything they want and doesnt have a thing to worry about.

basically, life on hit is mandatory IMO. making it yet another stupid unbalanced part of the game.

DPS doesnt matter for LS.

It's depends on your playstyle as Rdzona mentioned. Faster attacks would favor LoH, and slower attacks would favor LS. Though it really doesnt matter the attack speed or DPS, but the final damgage you deal on screen to return for LS. If you're hitting around 250k which is definately possible with slow attacks, then LS would be better. If you're a quick hitter like my 4 strikes per second (and hitting up to 3 targets per hit) electrocute, then LoH is better.

I've had a good time on my monk blazing through MP1 with 4000 Life on Kill, no LS/LOH. Good weapons with it are cheap too. Its not viable for higher MP levels when kill speed drops below 'instant'.

EDIT: Protip. Buy a cheap Windforce with at least 40% knockback. Put that on your scoundrel and watch elites just get bounced back. You can spec the scoundrel anyway you want, but make sure you pick up multishot. Also, put some cheap IAS jewelry on the scoundrel to make things even more effective.

I found a 39% windforce last night and gave this a try. Normally my scoundrel has a buriza for freeze plus a stun amulet. The buriza seems better with the chance to pierce targets. And I put a a Puzzle Ring on him for comedy treasure goblins at the worst possible times :D

switch out Combustion with Prodigy. Prodigy will make up for the loss in Arcane on crit.....Its pretty fucking sick with living lighting.

Just want to say that this was an excellent recommendation. I can now drop lots of meteors again! Thanks for the help tweaking my build for the Skorn, i was mopping up ML3 yesterday.

It's funny, your paper doll DPS is extremely important, but somewhat less so when you consider what your overall spec is. A 2H you need to do big damage with resource-limited spells - meteor, arcane orb. They do big damage and your attack speed doesn't matter nearly as much as your AP. You'd also probably be better off with life steal, although there still is a pretty high breakeven point for life steal over LOH.

For example: I'm using a CM build with frost nova, healing blades, and stationary twisters. With my LOH weapon and CM, attack speed is much more important as the more attacks I do, the more I crit for reduced CDs and more LOH. A skorn, even a high damage one, would be a major downgrade for me.

Honestly 1H weapons have gotten pretty cheap. I have a 990DPS 1H with a socket and 711 LOH and it was only about 1M. If you forgo primary stats on it you can get a nice DPS boost, and the LOH keeps you in the game. Currently sitting at around 88k DPS and doing Act1 Butcher MP3 runs. I could probably go a bit higher, but with this build I barely can get the Butcher down before the whole floor sets on fire. (BTW, did they buff the butcher? A few days ago at 75k DPS I could take him down without much issue. The other day it literally took me 10-15 times. Maybe I was hungover, I dunno.)

Yeap this is what i was noticing, but now that i've tweaked my spec with stevedave's help, i finally feel like it was a solid upgrade.

DPS doesnt matter for LS.

It's depends on your playstyle as Rdzona mentioned. Faster attacks would favor LoH, and slower attacks would favor LS. Though it really doesnt matter the attack speed or DPS, but the final damgage you deal on screen to return for LS. If you're hitting around 250k which is definately possible with slow attacks, then LS would be better. If you're a quick hitter like my 4 strikes per second (and hitting up to 3 targets per hit) electrocute, then LoH is better.

The only lifesteal i have on my Wizard at the moment is Magic Weapon with blood weapon (1.5%) which with living lightening heals me for like 90 hp a tick, and a metoer which crits for 700k in a pack heals for about 5000 hp. Kinda weak but better than nothing. I just need to add that to the list of stats i want to pick up.

The only lifesteal i have on my Wizard at the moment is Magic Weapon with blood weapon (1.5%) which with living lightening heals me for like 90 hp a tick, and a metoer which crits for 700k in a pack heals for about 5000 hp. Kinda weak but better than nothing. I just need to add that to the list of stats i want to pick up.

Unfortunately wizards have limited options for life steal:blood magic weapon, healing spectral blades and a LS weapon is all I know of. Not the biggest issue, but DR is a major pain at higher MP.

I'm thinking about 2pc Nats for my wiz for 7% more crit (boots and ring). Not sure if its worth it.

Also, I must've missed the memo about how +%element damage works. I need to find a good "black" weapon with no +element damage on it. Then I'll make full use of stuff like triumvirate, storm crow, and SOJ.

Unfortunately wizards have limited options for life steal:blood magic weapon, healing spectral blades and a LS weapon is all I know of. Not the biggest issue, but DR is a major pain at higher MP.

I'm thinking about 2pc Nats for my wiz for 7% more crit (boots and ring). Not sure if its worth it.

Also, I must've missed the memo about how +%element damage works. I need to find a good "black" weapon with no +element damage on it. Then I'll make full use of stuff like triumvirate, storm crow, and SOJ.

I've also been thinking about getting some int rolled Nats for the 2-piece set bonus. Compared to other sets, that shit is just OP. They need to re-do the set bonuses on the Wizard's for sure.

Also, can you elaborate on your black weapon without fire or arcane damage?

Late to the LoH party, I can see why it's so critical to CM Wizards (pun not intended). I bought a "placeholder" LoH weapon to test out the effects of ~930 LoH and boy does it make a difference! I'm down 20k DPS though lol, but now I can take on packs at MP6 with much greater ease. Reflect Damage doesn't just kill me anymore (even though I had Blood Magic Weapon before this). Right now I still have Blood Magic, but I might be able to replace it with the good ol' Force Weapon or something funner like Slow Time.

My 70K dps Wiz is built a different way than counting on LOH or LS. I like to kill things fast then move on quickly so I equipped my character using IAS, movement speed, increased damage to elites and or reduced damage by elites. Works very well for the lower MP levels. With modest levels of crit hit/chance and 6000+ armor its pretty effective for XP leveling and or farming.

I started with Nats Boots and ring and it was pretty badass but Zun's boots are better so I switched to Nats boots and Nats Helmet and have been enjoying that.

I've also been thinking about getting some int rolled Nats for the 2-piece set bonus. Compared to other sets, that shit is just OP. They need to re-do the set bonuses on the Wizard's for sure.

Also, can you elaborate on your black weapon without fire or arcane damage?

+% element damage like SOJ and triumvirate only apply to non-element damage. That means if your weapon has high dps from +poison,+arcane or whatever, those +%element modifiers won't be as useful. It will still modify the non element dmg of a weapon, so you'd get the same boost of a similar white weapon compared to a +element weapon of the same type. It does affect +dmg from trinkets and offhands, and straight up +weapon dmg on weapon if it doesn't have an element.

It's really weird and a blue made a post about it a while back. To my understanding, even +fire damage weapons don't get benefit from +%fire damage.

Not to be confused with +%dmg to all fire skills. Those only affect skills with that element, but take into consideration all damage from the weapon, regardless of if its a +element dmg weapon.

+% element damage like SOJ and triumvirate only apply to non-element damage. That means if your weapon has high dps from +poison,+arcane or whatever, those +%element modifiers won't be as useful. It will still modify the non element dmg of a weapon, so you'd get the same boost of a similar white weapon compared to a +element weapon of the same type. It does affect +dmg from trinkets and offhands, and straight up +weapon dmg on weapon if it doesn't have an element.

It's really weird and a blue made a post about it a while back. To my understanding, even +fire damage weapons don't get benefit from +%fire damage.

Not to be confused with +%dmg to all fire skills. Those only affect skills with that element, but take into consideration all damage from the weapon, regardless of if its a +element dmg weapon.

Thanks. Indeed that's kinda fucked up, and they'll probably fix it one day. It's like someone started planning the items and put fire and arcane damage on them and shit, planning for them to be different... and someone came along and was like, 'no lets just make it all the same... that's quicker'

It's still confusing though... so +6% cold damage doesn't increase cold damage, but instead increases regular damage? fuckin weirdos at blizz

Thanks. Indeed that's kinda fucked up, and they'll probably fix it one day. It's like someone started planning the items and put fire and arcane damage on them and shit, planning for them to be different... and someone came along and was like, 'no lets just make it all the same... that's quicker'

It's still confusing though... so +6% cold damage doesn't increase cold damage, but instead increases regular damage? fuckin weirdos at blizz

Yes, it's really messed up. I grabbed a pair of Frostburns thinking they would add the 6% cold damage to any attacks I used (like they do for Barb skills)...except they only work on physical damage skills (I guess?) and cold skills. Not sure how those ended up being a lvl 60 legendary considering there are like 3 cold skills in the game - of which only two are true damage dealers and one of those is a channeling, non-AOE skill - and there are no +random properties on the gloves. Great design vision...

I don't understand why they based most of the non-Lightning Wizard skills on Arcane and Physical damage, pretty much ignoring Fire and Ice.

Damn, this thread still going strong eh?

So much productivity would have been lost in the last 2.5 months had I kept playing. :D

okay 2 things:

1) boy does it suck looking for legendaries on the AH. They need to fix that shit.

2) what's the difference between [Legacy] and not? are they just different sets but equal? is one supposedly better?

okay 2 things:

1) boy does it suck looking for legendaries on the AH. They need to fix that shit.

2) what's the difference between [Legacy] and not? are they just different sets but equal? is one supposedly better?

Legacy are the pre-buff legendaries. Basically, they are generally going to be worse.

I have no doubt it's better, it was only a matter of time. So the bnet boards aren't filled with griping players anymore?

I don't think the BNet boards will ever be anything but griping players. : )

okay 2 things:

Legacy means the old legendary items before the buff.

To find them, enter the name, set the stats you want, price. Or set the drop down to legendary and find what you want.

I have no doubt it's better, it was only a matter of time. So the bnet boards aren't filled with griping players anymore?

I make it a point not to visit there unless I'm putting in a bug report. But the diablo sites with the polls up show that most players are enjoying the new things introduced with the 1.0.5 patch. I went from 1.0.4 where I'd get the urge to log in every few weeks, waiting 15 second, and then not feeling like I want to log in anymore, to playing quite a bit in 1.0.5.

I don't think the BNet boards will ever be anything but griping players. : )

Point taken. :D

I make it a point not to visit there unless I'm putting in a bug report. But the diablo sites with the polls up show that most players are enjoying the new things introduced with the 1.0.5 patch. I went from 1.0.4 where I'd get the urge to log in every few weeks, waiting 15 second, and then not feeling like I want to log in anymore, to playing quite a bit in 1.0.5.

Sounds like I'd have fun with this game if I were able to find any time in my schedule to jump back in. My brother was telling me about monster levels, sounds like a neat idea.

okay 2 things:

What part of looking for legendaries sucks? It's not perfect, but I can find what I need.

You can right click on any item in the sell tab to start search criteria by the stats on the item. It works for rares and blues, but for legendaries it only adds the name.

Once a legendary is selected, you can search by any random affix that item can have. The first search criteria will also be a sortable column on the results list. Unfortunately you can't search by special stats on the unique, such as IAS on the belt the witching hour.

Legacy means it was before they gave legendaries an overhaul either 1.0.4 or 1.0.3, I can't remember. Most of the time the newer versions are much better because of unique properties added to the patch, and much better stat values of the items.

So I started posting my auctions on d2jsp again, realizing I could have made a lot more gold selling there than on the Blizzard pirate auction house where they charge 15%. (IE: 15% from 103 million...yikes).

I hate those people that low ball you. I price something correctly and some guy wants to pay 7 million less than asking price. I tell him I can get more after the 15% on Blizz. The guy then says he'll pay 1.25 million less than what I would have gotten after 15%. The real funny part is his reasoning: "So, you don't have to wait on the Blizzard auction." wtf. Not like I'm in a rush. hah.

Item was just an IK hat with 186 str, 5% crit, 6% melee damage reduction, 11% life, and 59 fire res. I had it for 25 million. There are worse ones for more on the in game auction house right now.

Hi guys any European players here ?

I'm a barbarian we can do whatever farm together level paragon or just help you guys farm keys on mp8-10 I can solo them alone including the ubers on mp8 didn't try any higher.

Whisper me for BattleTag.

Just started a Barb last wednesday when I messed up my knee and am at paragon level 12. I am currently farming keys and am looking for someone that can clear the ubers. Will be on tomorrow most of the day. forget my gamertag or whatever. Will update when I get home. Anyone interested in helping me burn my machines tomorrow and next week? USA realm.

is anyone making any money selling on RMAH?

Unless you get an absolutely incredibly rare legendary or set piece with great stats , you don't make jack shit. Even if you know its a good item , unless there is a strong demand for it , you can fucking forget it.

People refuse to pay hundreds of dollars for an item with slightly better stats or a better arrangement of stats. And rightfully so , the entire RMAH price inflation is insane.

Another thing that is beyond insane is the cost of high end gems , on the Asia AH they are only a few hundred thousand gold but on the US AH they are 15+ million per. Blizzard has to balance out that kind of shit , there is just simply no way its worth dumping that kind of cash and it makes it near impossible UNLESS you buy gold (or quit your job..) , to achieve the kind of gems that are REQUIRED for any end game setup.

Even if you did nothing but farm runs all day and got like 10 legendary items during that farm , 9/10 of them will be incredibly useless and 1 maybe reasonable but only worth a few hundred thousand to a few million (unless you get a nice set piece or high end legendary) and even then you are not likely to sell it. So even if you farmed all day , 10+ hours a day lets say , the odds of you getting a really good item to profit from are just beyond minor.

I know one person who made about $300 off the RMAH during the summer but now , he hasn't made a dime. Making money in D3 is entirely luck based , not based on your time spent farming. I personally have yet to know anyone that got a set item to drop for them of any kind. That's just retarded. Besides with PVP around the bend is it even worth spending any real gold or real money on anything when they will likely nerf bat all kinds of stats to "balance" PVP play? This is Blizzard we are talking about , they don't know how to balance PVP worth a shit (for proof just read the forums for Arena's).

I'm at the point where my WD can't benefit from anything I can afford. However if I drop $500+ on the RMAH I can doing some quality upgrading , otherwise I'm screwed and my upgrades will be now completely luck based from key farming when I feel like it. Personally I find that annoying as shit and its souring me (for real this time) from playing anymore.

So I started posting my auctions on d2jsp again, realizing I could have made a lot more gold selling there than on the Blizzard pirate auction house where they charge 15%. (IE: 15% from 103 million...yikes).

I would advise just to stay away from that place. Its a dead end now.

Unless you get an absolutely incredibly rare legendary or set piece with great stats , you don't make jack shit. Even if you know its a good item , unless there is a strong demand for it , you can fucking forget it.

People refuse to pay hundreds of dollars for an item with slightly better stats or a better arrangement of stats. And rightfully so , the entire RMAH price inflation is insane.

Another thing that is beyond insane is the cost of high end gems , on the Asia AH they are only a few hundred thousand gold but on the US AH they are 15+ million per. Blizzard has to balance out that kind of shit , there is just simply no way its worth dumping that kind of cash and it makes it near impossible UNLESS you buy gold (or quit your job..) , to achieve the kind of gems that are REQUIRED for any end game setup.

Even if you did nothing but farm runs all day and got like 10 legendary items during that farm , 9/10 of them will be incredibly useless and 1 maybe reasonable but only worth a few hundred thousand to a few million (unless you get a nice set piece or high end legendary) and even then you are not likely to sell it. So even if you farmed all day , 10+ hours a day lets say , the odds of you getting a really good item to profit from are just beyond minor.

I know one person who made about $300 off the RMAH during the summer but now , he hasn't made a dime. Making money in D3 is entirely luck based , not based on your time spent farming. I personally have yet to know anyone that got a set item to drop for them of any kind. That's just retarded. Besides with PVP around the bend is it even worth spending any real gold or real money on anything when they will likely nerf bat all kinds of stats to "balance" PVP play? This is Blizzard we are talking about , they don't know how to balance PVP worth a shit (for proof just read the forums for Arena's).

I'm at the point where my WD can't benefit from anything I can afford. However if I drop $500+ on the RMAH I can doing some quality upgrading , otherwise I'm screwed and my upgrades will be now completely luck based from key farming when I feel like it. Personally I find that annoying as shit and its souring me (for real this time) from playing anymore.

Well aren't you a Debbie Downer? I disagree, the game is ALL about the time you spend farming. It's the law of large numbers that you could apply to playing D3. Whatever the droprate is for legendaries/sets, you kill enough monsters and get enough items to drop you will average out on the mean of the droprate. You just need enough samples for this to happen.

Also, I've found probably 6 set items since 1.0.5. So, my advice is you just have to play/farm more. I can't emphasize how important speed is in this game, it probably is the biggest factor in the game imo.

You just need enough samples for this to happen.

Also, I've found probably 6 set items since 1.0.5. So, my advice is you just have to play/farm more. I can't emphasize how important speed is in this game, it probably is the biggest factor in the game imo.

Since when has d3 is supposed to take more time than a full time job?

What part of looking for legendaries sucks?

The part where if I want, say, a Thunder God's Vigor, but I want one with a specific % of "chance to cause Shock Pulse to erupt from your enemies when you hit them", and I can't search for it.

If you want a legendary with a special ability or an affix not normally found on that type of item (Schaefer's Hammer, SOJ, etc.) then you have to manually go down the list and look at each one to see if it's what you're looking for.

Since when has d3 is supposed to take more time than a full time job?

What's your end goal? Beat inferno? Get 200k dps? Make money?

Flat income from gold drops is higher than ever, and at the same time when amazing drops sell for shit, you can also upgrade for cheap. If its costing 8 figures for "marginal" upgrades, then you should be sitting really good with gear already or you have no idea how to gear up your character.

I bought a 1300dps/180crit/300int SKORN for 1million, and it gave me a 40k (up to 150k now) dps upgrade. Could I have gotten better? Of course but the marginal upgrades just isn't worth it for me now. That 1 million came straight from a few hours of gold drops, I haven't sold anything on the ah since 1.0.5.

I'd rather super elite rare gear be expensive for 2 reasons. 1). Super cheap gear is perfectly viable to complete the game and 2)it's something worth working for. I'm aiming to hit 200k and retain some viability, but I'd be fine if I never reach it cause I've completed the game already.

Also don't approach the RMAH as any viable source of income, that's just stupid. You're better off working minimum wage to make more money. If you find a godly item that can make money, gratz! But play the game to have fun and don't play the game if you're making it like a job.

Damn, I just paid 3.5M for a very similar Skorn - 1370dps/184crit/300int. Up to 125k dps now from 82k before...amazing. My main problem as a wiz is I have very low life steal and no LOH; all I have is the 1.5% from blood magic weapon. Of course, if I drop a meteor and it crits for 900k on a pack, I'm back to full. :D It's single targets that move a lot that hurt. CM wiz is a good build, but I just don't enjoy it all that much. It almost feels like cheesing it; on the other hand, meteor builds are by far my favorite. Right now going with cold meteor, frost hydra, and +4AP magic missle as my damage dealers. The slows from the cold help me control mobs a bit better.

Got 3 legendaries in 4 runs yesterday (2 MP3, 2MP4), 2 staves, worthless, and a legendary mighty belt that was a POS. :(

Followers - do any wiz's run with anything other than the templar? I never have, but I was looking at the enchantresses CC for the first time (yeah, 80+ hours in, for whatever reason once I try something I stick with it forever) they look like they could be very useful. Half the time mobs don't stick on the templar anyway, so if I can get her to do more DPS and CC mobs, that might help.

Also don't approach the RMAH as any viable source of income, that's just stupid. You're better off working minimum wage to make more money. If you find a godly item that can make money, gratz! But play the game to have fun and don't play the game if you're making it like a job.

Well you can make more playing D3 than a Foxconn worker making a Iphone5.....Which is probably why they don't let Asians play on US servers....or at least try to not let them.

So I got a pretty beefy 1200+ DPS Echoing Fury to drop last night, but I'm a bit confused by the stats on it. At work right now so I can't post any links, but from best I can tell, it has only 1 random property on it instead of the 2 according to the Bliz site. Mine looks kind of like this:

+Min DMG
+Max DMG
+% DMG
+attacks per second
fear on hit %
DEX
Crit %

According to Bliz's site, Echoing Fury has the first 5 properties I listed above as guaranteed, then 1 of the 4 main stats also as guaranteed (mine rolled DEX), and another 2 random properties. On mine, it appears to have only one random property, that being the Crit %.

I'm thinking that my second property may have been either +MIN DMG or +MAX DMG, which just got rolled into the already guaranteed DMG modifier properties. Either that or it's bugged. I had always thought that the random properties on Legendaries couldn't roll as the same properties as the guaranteed ones, but I could definitely be wrong.

I can post screenshots later, but anyone have any thoughts?

On a positive note, it was a 17K DPS upgrade for me. Sitting pretty at 144K damage now, though I do miss the 500 LoH on my old weapon. But, I'm also killing stuff quicker (MP3) and it all seems to be a wash.

Last edited:
Damn, I just paid 3.5M for a very similar Skorn - 1370dps/184crit/300int. Up to 125k dps now from 82k before...amazing. My main problem as a wiz is I have very low life steal and no LOH; all I have is the 1.5% from blood magic weapon. Of course, if I drop a meteor and it crits for 900k on a pack, I'm back to full. :D It's single targets that move a lot that hurt. CM wiz is a good build, but I just don't enjoy it all that much. It almost feels like cheesing it; on the other hand, meteor builds are by far my favorite. Right now going with cold meteor, frost hydra, and +4AP magic missle as my damage dealers. The slows from the cold help me control mobs a bit better.

Got 3 legendaries in 4 runs yesterday (2 MP3, 2MP4), 2 staves, worthless, and a legendary mighty belt that was a POS. :(

Followers - do any wiz's run with anything other than the templar? I never have, but I was looking at the enchantresses CC for the first time (yeah, 80+ hours in, for whatever reason once I try something I stick with it forever) they look like they could be very useful. Half the time mobs don't stick on the templar anyway, so if I can get her to do more DPS and CC mobs, that might help.

I feel your pain, a couple of expensive equipment that I paid tens of millions for have dropped to single digit millions. It's all good, it was worth the upgrades back when I bought them. I've lost 2.9% LS and 400 LOH on my weapon trading for the SKORN, but with higher LOH rolls on trinkets, I think I can make up for it pretty soon.

If you can survive without the Templar (heals and charges) the other two can raise dps. The enchantress has IAS and armor buffs for a little more survival, the scroundrel has 3crit which can be a lot with enough crit dmg. I've heard scroundrel is amazing with high WF bows for cc.

Mainly I'm using my Templar for MF, heals, and charges.

I use Enchantress, mainly for the extra atk speed and armor buff. I also found a really decent rare staff with a ridiculous amount of VIT on it. She's sitting at 93k HP now and around 3k damage. She dies less than I do! :p

Back