Diablo 3 Discussion Thread

Damn Blizzard just hit an epic nerfhammer on Energy Twister, LoH and Critical Mass are now half as effective on it in 1.0.4 as opposed to right now.

Looks like I'll be BBQed in Act 3 now.

Ah well, anyone interested in crafting 6 prop shoulders/belt/cloaks or all the way up to radiant star topazes? Just remember to tip!

It'll refresh things a little bit, but it's fundamentally still the same. Until there are significant changes to endgame stuff, farming for gear is still the only thing to do.

You can easily clear the game with less than 20k dps on a barb. You have to remember that dps more than doubles when you pop wrath, and you should have wrath up on just about every pack

Let's think about this .... assume that Wrath with Insanity boosts you from 20k to 50k dps (it does not, but let's just assume that to be true).

Here's the outcome of running into shielding mortar poison frozen dude elites in Act 3.

qLYzz.jpg

As you can see only one of them received significant damage. You can also see that their HP pool (presumably this is their EHP) is between 1.4 and 1.5 million. How long does it take to wear down 1.5M at 50k/s? 30 seconds! How long does Wrath last? 15 seconds ....

So how is it that you propose a 15 second increase from 20k to 50k dps will be able to easily clear a total of 4.2 to 4.5 million HP (that's if you only have 3 elites)?

EDIT: Before people point out that I should have moved out of the poison pool, yes sure, this was just a quick demo to see what the HP pool is and how much damage wrath inflicted. Between health pots, revenge, and ignore pain I lived about 40 seconds without moving out of the way, far beyond the 15 second wrath. With better movement (which would have resulted in less dps applied since you don't dps when you move out of the way) I might have killed one of them (depending on frozen) but the point still stands that just because you pop wrath doesn't mean you can easily kill elites in act 3 with less than 20k base dps.

Last edited:
life steal and life on hit should be enough to keep you alive i would think.

i dont use life on hit on my monk only have 5.9% life steal which is like what 1% or something and it keeps my monk alive and kicking in act 3

Damn Blizzard just hit an epic nerfhammer on Energy Twister, LoH and Critical Mass are now half as effective on it in 1.0.4 as opposed to right now.

Looks like I'll be BBQed in Act 3 now.

This comes as no surprise to the people who were running the 4700 FA builds or the original, ridiculously overpowered CM builds before they were both nerfed shortly after the game came out.

Yeah so if people haven't checked already, DH blog is up and it's very underwhelming. I know, people who quit pre-NT nerf still think DH's are OP. I just would have liked to see build diversity relevant changes.

http://us.battle.net/d3/en/blog/6986845/Patch_104_Preview_Demon_Hunter-8_16_2012

Instead it's small, insignificant bumps...that do nothing to influence builds, or promote diversity. The best builds are still the same - nice one Blizz. Yeah RoV is the one change that's notable though. It's pretty laughable how bad it was before compared to the Barb's EQ...but 715 over 5 closes that gap considerably.

Indeed. A lot of the skills that are unappealing are because they are mechanically boring or frustrating to use, not because the damage numbers are too low. It's laughable how they talk about RoV being a signature ability of the DH and, in spite of playing about 50 hours on mine, I never used it once. It's just a boring, mediocre AoE damage spell with a long cooldown. Attacks with long CDs in Diablo are stupid. They don't belong. Put short CDs on utility skills if you must, but don't put them on attacks. It's such a WoW thing and just doesn't fit within my vision of Diablo and it never will.

Let's think about this .... assume that Wrath with Insanity boosts you from 20k to 50k dps (it does not, but let's just assume that to be true).

Here's the outcome of running into shielding mortar poison frozen dude elites in Act 3.

qLYzz.jpg

As you can see only one of them received significant damage. You can also see that their HP pool (presumably this is their EHP) is between 1.4 and 1.5 million. How long does it take to wear down 1.5M at 50k/s? 30 seconds! How long does Wrath last? 15 seconds ....

So how is it that you propose a 15 second increase from 20k to 50k dps will be able to easily clear a total of 4.2 to 4.5 million HP (that's if you only have 3 elites)?

EDIT: Before people point out that I should have moved out of the poison pool, yes sure, this was just a quick demo to see what the HP pool is and how much damage wrath inflicted. Between health pots, revenge, and ignore pain I lived about 40 seconds without moving out of the way, far beyond the 15 second wrath. With better movement (which would have resulted in less dps applied since you don't dps when you move out of the way) I might have killed one of them (depending on frozen) but the point still stands that just because you pop wrath doesn't mean you can easily kill elites in act 3 with less than 20k base dps.

You don't have to stand there and fight them all until you die... You can split them or avoid them all together. You can reset enrage timers or make a new game completely. Get out of the softcore mindset and try to avoid dying.

You don't have to stand there and fight them all until you die... You can split them or avoid them all together. You can reset enrage timers or make a new game completely. Get out of the softcore mindset and try to avoid dying.
I agree that there are different play styles. To me "metagaming" such as creating a new game just to avoid a certain affix isn't "completing" the game, and certainly doesn't deserve the "easily" tag. If I have to recreate the game until the RNG gives me an easy affix then the game is broken (which is why they are fixing that BS in 1.0.4).

The same goes for avoiding elites. The point of the game is to kill them for loot, avoiding is "doing it wrong". ;) I recognize that HC players currently often have no other choice than to run and reload, but that just means that the game mechanics are poor at best.

And with good gear, you'll chain crit for 100k, so yeah... Shit melts
Of course success is gear based and I don't think anyone argues otherwise. The way I look at it is in terms of how much effort to I have to put in to get better gear and whether I am entertained while I am putting in that effort. The answer is that I have to put in too much effort which is not entertaining at all. 10000 Butcher farming runs are simply not fun when random crap loot remains random crap.

I have to consider the opportunity cost of playing D3. I have to weight what else I could do in the time spend playing D3 and whether those other things would be more entertaining. Now that I am in Act 3 I can with conviction say that there are a large number of other games which are far more entertaining than playing D3.

This is a design flaw.

I agree that there are different play styles. To me "metagaming" such as creating a new game just to avoid a certain affix isn't "completing" the game, and certainly doesn't deserve the "easily" tag. If I have to recreate the game until the RNG gives me an easy affix then the game is broken (which is why they are fixing that BS in 1.0.4).

The same goes for avoiding elites. The point of the game is to kill them for loot, avoiding is "doing it wrong". ;) I recognize that HC players currently often have no other choice than to run and reload, but that just means that the game mechanics are poor at best.

Nah, you have to get rid of this mentality. Even when I was easily farming A3, there were certain elite packs (mainly Invulnerable Minion Tremors and Fast Phase Beasts) that I avoided because they weren't worth the trouble. Some of them are straight-up hard counters to your build, so it's either die 10 times in a row and get frustrated or simply skip them and keep progressing.

Not sure if this should be a separate thread, but I have a noob-ish question about farming in D3.

I have read a few articles recently that talked about getting a magic find in particular, or gold find, centered set of gear and then farming easier levels for items and gold. I can't find the article now, but it mentioned going back to Act 3, Arreat Crater, and doing speed runs thru it, on I believe the article said Nightmare mode.

So I assume you would take a high level character, and change quests to an earlier difficulty mode and a specific quest so you can go to the right spot. However, when I try that with my 60 barb, it tells me it will overwrite my quest log, or something to that effect, and I assume it would me at that quest and difficulty level to start from....so does that mean I have to fight all the way back thru the game to get my guy back to Inferno mode, or will I always have the ability to move back and forth thru the quests and difficulty levels?

I have not beaten any bosses on Inferno yet, just got there recently. I realize it would go fast for a 60 thru earlier levels, but I really have no desire to fight all the way back thru all 4 acts of Hell mode to get where I am now.

I apologize for such a dumb question, as it must be fairly easy as I read about all kinds of players farming earlier content....so I appreciate the advice....thanks

Not sure if this should be a separate thread, but I have a noob-ish question about farming in D3.

I have read a few articles recently that talked about getting a magic find in particular, or gold find, centered set of gear and then farming easier levels for items and gold. I can't find the article now, but it mentioned going back to Act 3, Arreat Crater, and doing speed runs thru it, on I believe the article said Nightmare mode.

So I assume you would take a high level character, and change quests to an earlier difficulty mode and a specific quest so you can go to the right spot. However, when I try that with my 60 barb, it tells me it will overwrite my quest log, or something to that effect, and I assume it would me at that quest and difficulty level to start from....so does that mean I have to fight all the way back thru the game to get my guy back to Inferno mode, or will I always have the ability to move back and forth thru the quests and difficulty levels?

I have not beaten any bosses on Inferno yet, just got there recently. I realize it would go fast for a 60 thru earlier levels, but I really have no desire to fight all the way back thru all 4 acts of Hell mode to get where I am now.

I apologize for such a dumb question, as it must be fairly easy as I read about all kinds of players farming earlier content....so I appreciate the advice....thanks
No it won't erase all of your progress. It will only erase the progress from the most recent new mission point. Most likely you won't have to redo much. I haven't farmed act 3 yet but I read something similar as a tactic.

I read about all kinds of players farming earlier content....so I appreciate the advice....thanks
Those must be old guides. There is literally no point at all in farming anything other than Inferno unless you are perhaps decked out in gold find gear and you just kill trash fast. Doubt that's really worth anyone's time as opposed to just buying a couple mil.

The gear that drops in nightmare/hell isn't really worth anything.

I think its more of a hotspot for botters. They stack up on GF gear and pickup radius, go through a zone untouched (because it's only Nightmare), rinse and repeat.

Thanks...I obviously can't speak to the accuracy, but the writer was saying something to the effect of getting 500k gold in an hour...wasn't so much thinking about myself, maybe a little, but helping a friend out who for some reason doesn't have much in game gold. Neither one of us wants to buy gold...though I guess that would be a more time efficient method....otherwise I hear what you are saying...I have gone back to the last part of Act 4 Hell a couple of times, but it was only one "quest" back so to speak, so obviously I wasn't worried about over-writing my progress for that short period. but I was loathe to go back too far....so thanks for the info....!

Nah, you have to get rid of this mentality. Even when I was easily farming A3, there were certain elite packs (mainly Invulnerable Minion Tremors and Fast Phase Beasts) that I avoided because they weren't worth the trouble. Some of them are straight-up hard counters to your build, so it's either die 10 times in a row and get frustrated or simply skip them and keep progressing.
If that mentality isn't fun to him, how do you propose he just "get rid of it"? I love challenging games, but I quit playing D3 already because a) the rewards did not justify the difficulty of the game and b) skipping packs and reloading levels because of a bad combination of affixes seemed like a lame tactic. I shouldn't have to cheese the game to be successful. I never had to skip packs in Act 1.

I can consider things like reloading, corpse zerging and having an invincible quest NPC keep you in combat near a checkpoint while you wait on the res timer as cheesy (I've done the latter 2 myself more than I can count during progression), but skipping some packs is there by design. Even now, when I can clear the entirety of Inferno without much hassle, I still abandon ship the moment I see elite demonic tremors regardless of their affix combination. I can't say whether its good or bad design, but skipping some tough packs doesn't bother me as much as it does to others.

There are major checkpoints and minor checkpoints. All major checkpoints are permanently saved on that character. When you choose to change quests, it lists all major checkpoints you've unlocked so far. Minor checkpoints are the checkpoints you see between the Major checkpoints, so if you leave a game and continue, you'll start up at your last minor checkpoint. When you choose to go to another Major checkpoint, you'll lose all the minor checkpoints you were recently doing, but can return to the last Major checkpoint at any time.

I can consider things like reloading, corpse zerging and having an invincible quest NPC keep you in combat near a checkpoint while you wait on the res timer as cheesy (I've done the latter 2 myself more than I can count during progression), but skipping some packs is there by design. Even now, when I can clear the entirety of Inferno without much hassle, I still abandon ship the moment I see elite demonic tremors regardless of their affix combination. I can't say whether its good or bad design, but skipping some tough packs doesn't bother me as much as it does to others.

I'm not sure if this was discussed because I stopped reading up on every thread, but is there a reason all demonic tremors are fast, even without the affix?

I'm not sure if this was discussed because I stopped reading up on every thread, but is there a reason all demonic tremors are fast, even without the affix?

I don't know. I think all elites have a natural speed boost. Regular demonic tremors move a little faster when they're "enraged," which is activated after they finish shielding. Perhaps that natural speed boost on top of being elite compounds their speed to insane levels. It's kinda hard to kill something that has a ton of health, does a ton of damage, shields itself to mitigate even more damage, and can close distance extremely quickly. :eek:

I think even those elite big melee dudes (I forgot their name) can move quite fast when they go into their running mode. You'll mostly find them out in the fields of Act 3, along with those spear throwers. It's nowhere as insane as the tremors though, IIRC.

This deserves quoting. It's pretty bad when the creator of Diablo admits he is disappointed in the latest installment.

I love the fact that he brought up the AH as well and how the loot tables and economy would be affected.

Heh, you don't know the half of it. My base EHP is actually 1.95 mil right now yet most Act 3 elites will make short work of me. I don't doubt that people completed the game with less, but they must have just bypassed all elites and/or parked them out of the way so they can complete the tasks without actually clearing the game.

Saw some video of some retard saying he finished the game with 50k gold gear or some similar BS. Yeah, he died like 400 times between Belial Phase 1 and getting to Phase 3, that's retarded and doesn't count as "completed" in my book.

As working adult I am simply not willing to spend hundreds of hours farming for gold or gear so I can kill Azmodan and Diablo for the 4th time. Maybe the next patch will nerf Act3/4 elites enough to make it entertaining again without a 1 billion gold budget but if not then I will be happier playing something else.

I put 80+ hours into it and while I personally don't feel like I got my money's worth I did actually get it if you apply the "less than $1 per hour played" measurement. I certainly didn't find all 80+ hours entertaining but I kept playing in hopes of it getting better.

You need sustain (life on hit or life steal). Get at least 600 LOH along with your stats (or most of them) and you will roll Act 3. Vitality is only good for surviving burst damage, it's sustain that keeps you alive for the entire fight.

You guys are probably keeping up with 1.0.4 and it's news quite well already, but DiabloFans.com has a nice and neat datamined unofficial "patch notes" out:

http://www.diablofans.com/news/1317...ges-class-changes-new-items-affixes-and-more/

check it out!

noteable (for me at least):
-new "prestige levels" (beyond level 60... or 60 + X?)
-new DH nat's set: 4 set = +20 max disc
-bunch of new crazy legendary procs

Last edited:
Lots of info dropped for 1.0.4 that I didnt even know was coming.

Prestige levels look like just enhanced MF/GF as you level up? Or maybe by COD naming, its where it wipes your character and makes you start over again with a cool gold star by your name as the only difference.

I havent played in a few weeks now, I'm trying to get some steam backlog off my plate before Borderlands 2 hits. I'm sure once I tire of BL2, D3 will have a lot of fun things for me to come back to, I might have enough interest to finish off all classes.

Last edited:
Andrew Silvernail is a fucking dumbass.

As was pointed out on the D3 official forums:

"The Diablo brand name (which Brevik helped build), not the Diablo3 developers, are what made this the fastest selling PC game of all time.

Your arrogance might even be worse than Jay's cursing."

Andrew Silvernail is a fucking dumbass.

As was pointed out on the D3 official forums:

"The Diablo brand name (which Brevik helped build), not the Diablo3 developers, are what made this the fastest selling PC game of all time.

Your arrogance might even be worse than Jay's cursing."

Really shows the D3 devs arrogance doesn't it.

Tbh, it doesn't really matter to the consumer whether some devs and others involved in making a game create drama between each other. Totally blown out of proportion imho. Who cares who said what about whom, totally irrelevant.

Jay Wilson represents the developers at Blizzard who is responsible for making D3, just search his name on youtube alone and you'll see many interview of him. He's a public figure. He should know better than to act like a kid having a tantrum.

Apart from that, it shows you how his attitude is towards criticism. What do you think Jay Wilson thought when he saw the negative feedback from fans? :) If that's all you have to say about negative criticism, then you'll never learn.

Why is Jay Wilson so surprised by that? Have he not heard of all the negative feedback from the fans regarding the game's shortcoming? Or perhaps thats what he thought each time he see something negative.

qLYzz.jpg

I really want to help you out man and as someone already stated, you NEED to have some kind of way to restore your life, easiest way is LoH. Just building up a huge EHP pool with no way to replenish it is not the way to go as you are noticing. You're geared to be a really great tank, but you don't last long. IMO if you get around 1K LoH, you would be a great party barb. Tank everything and then let some ranged dpsers take everything down.

If you want to solo all I can say about your gear is crit, crit, and more crit. (Really you just need a more balanced build) I have about 50K dps unbuffed, 45% crit, and like 350% crit damage. When I pop WoTB with Slaughter, screw insanity, crits have a chance to cause 150% damage and it has a small AoE component. Elites go down soooo quickly. Thrive on chaos would be a good second choice if your dps is already good and I guess insanity is ok if you don't have enough crit.

Thanks...I obviously can't speak to the accuracy, but the writer was saying something to the effect of getting 500k gold in an hour...wasn't so much thinking about myself, maybe a little, but helping a friend out who for some reason doesn't have much in game gold. Neither one of us wants to buy gold...though I guess that would be a more time efficient method....otherwise I hear what you are saying...I have gone back to the last part of Act 4 Hell a couple of times, but it was only one "quest" back so to speak, so obviously I wasn't worried about over-writing my progress for that short period. but I was loathe to go back too far....so thanks for the info....!

You sound like your gathering info in order to start botting. "500K gold/hr"
"helping a friend" "going back to Hell or NM"
As someone said, the only reason to go back and do hell runs is for botting. Thats not a good way to earn gold doing it manually. Just manully playing the game, you'll more than likely earn more gold by farming inferno and selling gears. Unless you're made of stone, you'll get extremely bored of mowing down the content in nm or hell.

Tbh, it doesn't really matter to the consumer whether some devs and others involved in making a game create drama between each other. Totally blown out of proportion imho. Who cares who said what about whom, totally irrelevant.

As a person who felt disappointed with D3, and disenchanted with most of Blizzard's other offerings, seeing this minor scuffle is just more bad PR to contribute to my overall opinion of the company. So, I care - to answer your question.

They look completely foolish here. As a guy who had already uninstalled D3 with no further intent to play it, seeing the words of the devs in this does nothing to rekindle my hopes for the game, nor does it inspire me to want to support them. Brevik seems sensible, they seem like easily-insulted children who lack self-awareness.

Does anyone else care? who knows. Do enough people care to make a difference, and affect Blizzard's future earnings? I'm not sure. I'm just one consumer.

As a person who felt disappointed with D3, and disenchanted with most of Blizzard's other offerings, seeing this minor scuffle is just more bad PR to contribute to my overall opinion of the company. So, I care - to answer your question.

They look completely foolish here. As a guy who had already uninstalled D3 with no further intent to play it, seeing the words of the devs in this does nothing to rekindle my hopes for the game, nor does it inspire me to want to support them. Brevik seems sensible, they seem like easily-insulted children who lack self-awareness.

Does anyone else care? who knows. Do enough people care to make a difference, and affect Blizzard's future earnings? I'm not sure. I'm just one consumer.

I don't know. I can't acces that incgamers link, so much is blocked at work. But I don't think its a big deal anyway. Strictly going by that facebook comment someone linked I think I can figure out whats going on. Anyway, I'm sure stuff like this has happened in the past but now days with FB and twitter and whatever that its only more well known. Anyway, I for one like that they are all passionate about what they do. Trash talking has always existed. And is this article really interviweing the guy (Brevik) one of the creators of the original diablo and asking him his opinion on D3? I mean, seriously, analyze your audience and what kind of answer do you think you're gonna get from someone like that?

That divorce of the guys that made up Blizz north was probably an ugly one, otherwise they prob wouldn't have left. And then essentially you're going to ask them about the work that your ex company is doing? Just dumb all around and drama was the only thing that it could've possibly created.

Here's the copy pasta for ya Rdzona.
IncGamers: You are very well known in the world of ARPGs, and I am going to ask you, Diablo 3 is probably the most anticipated PC title in 10 years. What’s your opinion on the final product?

David Brevik: Honestly, I think that they did a lot of the things the best they could, it was a very different game than I would have created, the team and personalities, the people, the talent and all the design philosophies of the people that worked on it in Irvine, we called them Blizzard South, those people have their own style and the their own way they like to design. It was very, very different from the Blizzard North.

So I think that when Blizzard South took over the development of Diablo 3 it was inevitable that they were going to create an experience that was in the Diablo theme but concentrated more towards the things that they liked to experience. Including more story and things like that.

When Blizzard North shut down they lost a ton of experience with why the Action RPG works and what about it works. That’s really difficult to recover from. They didn’t have the experience of people that knew it well. This is why you do things with random levels for example, and so when you lose that experience you are going to create a very different experience in the end than we would have created.

IncGamers: Do you think they bought the wrong people in? As we understand, Jay Wilson, for example, his background was RTS. From our point of view it looked like they misunderstood what kept people playing, The type of loot drops, which has been a big issues. One of the other issues is they have not listened to their community, and they have not anlaysed what makes up that addictive Diablo experience. What are your thoughts on that?

David Brevik: Well, the loot system. They made some decisions with the loot system that were very different than the way that we did it in Diablo 2 and I think that obviously the community has been upset with some of the decisions they made. Having all of your powers work off your main weapon and things like that, to having blues that are more powerful than yellows. Eventually the auction house and how that worked, even something as simple as when you equip an item and it’s bound to your character permanently would have totally changed the dynamic of the game.

It seems odd that they have not really responded in a quick fashion to some of these things. I think they are very well aware of the problems at this point and are trying to fix some of this stuff. It’s a shame that they had to learn some of these painful lessons

IncGamers: As you created Diablo, how do you feel about it? Do you feel a little let down that the legacy has kind of been mashed up?

David Brevik: I have very mixed emotions about it (laughs). On one hand I am sad that people haven’t enjoyed Diablo because it’s a love, a passion, and its obvious people still have a giant love and passion for Diablo and they are speaking out about it because they have such love for it. That makes me feel great.

I am sad because people are outraged and, you know, some of the decision they have made are not the decisions I would make and there have been changes in philosophy and that hasn’t gone over very well. I think in that way I am a little sad.

I am also a little happy, which I hate to say, it shows that the people that were involved in Diablo really did matter, and so I am happy that it has come to light that how talented that group was and how unique and special that group was. I am hoping that, as this happens very often in the industry, you see it with Call of Duty and things like that , when the people leave the game changes and it shows how critical people are in this industry.

IncGamers: One of the questions the Gazillion guys asked me to ask you was, where did the name Diablo come from?

David Brevik: I thought of the game when I was in high school and I lived in the east part of San Francisco in a town called Danville and I loved at the base of Mount Diablo and that’s where the name comes from. Once I found out what the mountain name was, I thought that was awesome, I didn’t speak Spanish, so I thought I wanted to use that as a title for a nemesis in a videogame. It’s simply from where I lived.

IncGamers: Well thanks a lot David, you’ve brought a lot of pleasure to millions of people over the years and hopefully you’ll continue to do so.

Back