Diablo 3 Discussion Thread

meh, it works, but its not a very good exploit, its not like archon has unlimited duration and if you can't kill anything during its duration it will run out just it has always been

Haven't tried it myself, but someone said it lasts even if Archon wears off...

Pick a good spot. That part in Act 3 in the video gets you tons of kills easily. I actually grinded that spot with Archon on my HC Wiz to get to 60.

Basically after doing it. You are invul no matter what.

Just dont teleport again.

ok i guess i wasn't really getting it right, you do stay invulnerable after archon has worn off

The fact that you, and a small minority, have chosen to ignore the AH does not mean the game was not designed around the AH. Blizzard gets a cut. Of course it was designed around the AH. Ignorant to think otherwise.

You honestly just seem mad over nothing.. who cares if theres an AH? How does it really effect you? There has always been a way to buy items on private sites. Its not like this is some new feature to diablo.

All the AH does is add it in the game.. big fucking deal.

You honestly just seem mad over nothing.. who cares if theres an AH? How does it really effect you? There has always been a way to buy items on private sites. Its not like this is some new feature to diablo.

All the AH does is add it in the game.. big fucking deal.

Quote for truth........Kind of.

The 2 main valid complaints people can have about the Auction house is A) Good Items are deliberately suppressed to rise prices in auction house and B) Blizzards time is spend working on Auction house vs the game and their focus is purely on the Auction house.

But on the whole the auction house has little effect on the actual playing of the game. Constantly hearing people bitch about it makes it seem like Blizzard is requiring an enema before logging on.

Quote for truth........Kind of.

The 2 main valid complaints people can have about the Auction house is A) Good Items are deliberately suppressed to rise prices in auction house and B) Blizzards time is spend working on Auction house vs the game and their focus is purely on the Auction house.

But on the whole the auction house has little effect on the actual playing of the game. Constantly hearing people bitch about it makes it seem like Blizzard is requiring an enema before logging on.

"Good items" is a matter or perception, and the way the ah was implemented, perception was fucked up. People only see 10m+ items as "good" when people have gotten y with much less and before the patch. If the ONLY difference in d3 was removing the AH, there wouldve beeb mich less QQ, even pre-1.0.3.

The way people have been QQing, you think you would have to sacrifice your first born to get gear to complete inferno.

I used to firmly believe that the AH doesn't matter and that participation in it is voluntary.
I no longer believe that to be the case. I took a few hours to level my barbarian to 60 and through Inferno Act 1. I think that it may have been possible to get there with dropped gear only but AH gear (reduced level requirement weapon) sure made it a lot easier/quicker.

I don't believe that one can do Inferno Act 2 with dropped gear only.
Alternatively it will require hundreds of hours of farming Hell or Inferno Act 1 to get the gear to move on to Act 2+. Thus those who want to do it all will need to use the AH to at least fill some of the slots.

Alternatively it will require hundreds of hours of farming Hell or Inferno Act 1 to get the gear to move on to Act 2+. Thus those who want to do it all will need to use the AH to at least fill some of the slots.

It can be done, I did it my first time through pre 1.0.3, its just hard. And with AH being an option people are going to use it because it makes it less hard......although pre 1.03 repair cost were nothing so my 100+ deaths didn't cost me much......with new repair cost its probably cheaper to AH than to die a ton.

Everything I bought on the Auction house was to just to allow me to farm faster and die less. After about 100 or so hours of farming with my wizard I have enough gear for all my other classes to make it through inferno.

Its like a store that will give you a Soda for 100 push ups or 1 dollar.....everyone can do 100 push ups but who the hell wants too when you can just pay 1 dollar.

But I do see your point. I just don't see it as a reason to dislike the game or blizzard over.

I'd be stoked with dev time spent on the AH if it were adding in more fucking filters.

+3.14159265

I used to firmly believe that the AH doesn't matter and that participation in it is voluntary.
I no longer believe that to be the case. I took a few hours to level my barbarian to 60 and through Inferno Act 1. I think that it may have been possible to get there with dropped gear only but AH gear (reduced level requirement weapon) sure made it a lot easier/quicker.

Exactly, that was the design goal of D3 if you wanted to solo or avoid the AH. When you look at the game from the developer's perspective, it makes a lot of sense. They wanted there to be "steady" progression in Inferno. By progression, I mean tons and tons of farming since that's currently the only system available. Get this: Even within the first couple weeks of D3, they said that people were gearing up much faster than they expected. This gives you an idea of how brutal they wanted Inferno to be.

The AH pretty much circumvented this design goal. As many have mentioned, the game is unlike WoW. There aren't any hard barriers to prevent you from moving through content, like BoP items, weekly raid lockouts, etc. and you can freely acquire gear through any means necessary (the AH being the easiest).

Obviously, this design goal was pretty much one of the failures of the game since now everyone and their mother feel "forced" to use it. Heh, they even upped the drop rates across the board to help the solo-ers out. Naturally, that makes the AH gear even far more flooded that it was previously and thus people still feel forced to use it. All it really did was make the game easier.

The main issue with D3 is that the game doesn't get harder as you increase the difficulty. The same strategy you used to kill Diablo on Normal works on Inferno. The only difference is that you need more gear to do it on Inferno. Now you can say that needing more gear makes it harder, but I respond that it just delays the inevitable as you're already proven that you can do it. Even the elite packs are basically the same from difficulty to difficulty; if they didn't one shot you on Inferno you'd go to sleep fighting them.

Just my opinion of course.

I actually used to be a pretty big proponent of trash talking the loot/AH in this game but the more I play I actually don't think the setup is all that bad. Although there is one exception and needless to say it is a pretty huge exception...legendaries.

I have 4 lvl 60 chars that are all pretty decently geared and I was looking back at all the items they have and just roughly guestimating, 50% of their equipped gear is stuff that I've found. And on top of it, the 50% that I've found is actually the better half of the gear. I've never been rich in this game, biggest sale I made was a crap set chest that I sold for 5 mil. Basically what I'm getting it is while the AH is clearly designed to be a part of the game, it's not an absolute necessity across the board. But on the other hand if you're not using a tool provided then you're basically making it more difficult on yourself. So completing the game on inferno and not using the AH should only be like an achievement or something.

I don't know why it ever started that simply using the AH was a bad thing. Using it to "supplement" your gear kind of makes sense. You have 13 pieces to equip. If you find 7 and have to purchase 6 from igg for example, I think thats a pretty balanced design imo. Although my rant only applies to the GAH. I still do detest the RMAH b/c it just makes the game trivial, aka Pay to Win.

Back to my exception, I don't think anyone can argue that legendaries are crap, even Blizz has recognized this and will hopefully buff them. I mean when you are at the mercy of a RNG system that is pretty hard to get good rolls on to begin with and then add that to an item that only drops like 0.1% of the time. When that item does drop, it better be legendary to say the least.

I actually used to be a pretty big proponent of trash talking the loot/AH in this game but the more I play I actually don't think the setup is all that bad. Although there is one exception and needless to say it is a pretty huge exception...legendaries.

I have 4 lvl 60 chars that are all pretty decently geared and I was looking back at all the items they have and just roughly guestimating, 50% of their equipped gear is stuff that I've found. And on top of it, the 50% that I've found is actually the better half of the gear. I've never been rich in this game, biggest sale I made was a crap set chest that I sold for 5 mil. Basically what I'm getting it is while the AH is clearly designed to be a part of the game, it's not an absolute necessity across the board. But on the other hand if you're not using a tool provided then you're basically making it more difficult on yourself. So completing the game on inferno and not using the AH should only be like an achievement or something.

I don't know why it ever started that simply using the AH was a bad thing. Using it to "supplement" your gear kind of makes sense. You have 13 pieces to equip. If you find 7 and have to purchase 6 from igg for example, I think thats a pretty balanced design imo. Although my rant only applies to the GAH. I still do detest the RMAH b/c it just makes the game trivial, aka Pay to Win.

Back to my exception, I don't think anyone can argue that legendaries are crap, even Blizz has recognized this and will hopefully buff them. I mean when you are at the mercy of a RNG system that is pretty hard to get good rolls on to begin with and then add that to an item that only drops like 0.1% of the time. When that item does drop, it better be legendary to say the least.

I think it defeats the purpose of playing the game. What's the point in buying your way into the next Act of Inferno? I always thought the point of these games was to get excited about finding gear off the carcass of a dead mob. It's not like the game's mechanics change in Inferno other than it hits harder so you want better gear to survive. You don't suddenly get an Eureka moment while playing Inferno.

So to me putting gear on the AH defeats the core game as now you can just buy your way to beating the game. Whether that is with gold you found, bought off a website, or bought off the RMAH.

For me and my friends it made the game extremely boring. And no I never bought gold or items from some shady exchange in a game before. I always geared up by playing the game the way the developers intended for me to do so.

The main issue with D3 is that the game doesn't get harder as you increase the difficulty. The same strategy you used to kill Diablo on Normal works on Inferno. The only difference is that you need more gear to do it on Inferno. Now you can say that needing more gear makes it harder, but I respond that it just delays the inevitable as you're already proven that you can do it. Even the elite packs are basically the same from difficulty to difficulty; if they didn't one shot you on Inferno you'd go to sleep fighting them.

Just my opinion of course.

Completely valid statement......But that's the same with Diablo 2 as well so you could pretty much say (the problem with Diablo games are).

Creating new attacks for each difficulty would have been completely bad ass, but would require more time.....which apparently blizzard didn't have. They pretty much only had to create a game that was playable due to the success of Diablo 2.

Though I am very disappointed in D3 and feel they could of and should of done a better job....D3 is still the best ARPG out today so I don't complain. If making a better game than D3 was so easy you'd think other companies would have done it already. I'm sure there is much we all don't know about making a game like this.

Yeah yeah yea but TL2 isn't out yet.

I think it defeats the purpose of playing the game. What's the point in buying your way into the next Act of Inferno? I always thought the point of these games was to get excited about finding gear off the carcass of a dead mob. It's not like the game's mechanics change in Inferno other than it hits harder so you want better gear to survive. You don't suddenly get an Eureka moment while playing Inferno.

So to me putting gear on the AH defeats the core game as now you can just buy your way to beating the game. Whether that is with gold you found, bought off a website, or bought off the RMAH.

For me and my friends it made the game extremely boring. And no I never bought gold or items from some shady exchange in a game before. I always geared up by playing the game the way the developers intended for me to do so.

Didn't you read my post before quoting it??? I clearly said it was a 50/50 venture. I wouldn't have been able to do it alone one one side or another. Meaning I didn't have enough gold to buy everything off the auction house, hence only earned a reasonable designed amount of igg and I also wasn't able to do it with finding absolutely everything. Why do you feel like you HAVE to beat the game without using the GAH. News flash for ya but its part of the game, like using 6 skills and 3 passives are part of the game. Have you tried to beat inferno with nothing assigned to your 1 and 2 skill bar slots. To me its the same philosophy. I mean the GAH is a tool and is nothing more than a bigger wpn and armor vendor. Except you're not paying an npc but another gamer.

Your post is definitely accurate when it comes to the RMAH however. I can't stand the idea behing just whipping out a CC and buying your items to become elite in the game. Cuz now everyone top level player is just trivial, you can't believe them if they say they "earned" their gear cuz most likely they just bought it with real cash.

The RMAH seems kind of hit or miss. I was browsing for a particular type of gear and there was only 1 match for over $100, while there were a few more options on the GAH for 10-20M. If you convert gold to RM using the in-game rate ($2.50 -> 1,000,000g), that's about $25-$50 for similar gear. It's not that hard to farm 10-20M gold legitimately either; it just requires a little persistence.

Gearing is a bit more tough with a Monk. Stacking 1 resist makes it harder to sell gear off on the AH, as not all monks will be stacking that same resist. You also have to rely on AH gear more when shopping, trying to stack 800 Lightning resist (etc.) otherwise would be nearly impossible. Gearing my Barbarian has been much easier.

Gearing is a bit more tough with a Monk. Stacking 1 resist makes it harder to sell gear off on the AH, as not all monks will be stacking that same resist. You also have to rely on AH gear more when shopping, trying to stack 800 Lightning resist (etc.) otherwise would be nearly impossible. Gearing my Barbarian has been much easier.
You've been stacking light too, huh? I haven't played in over a week, but from what I remember I think I got my monk to about 23k dps with 1k LoH, 33k vit, 750 res, 9k armor (I think?)... can't remember the rest. I know I picked up some great boots right before I stopped playing for 3 million. +200ish Dex, +100vit, +70ar, +30light... or something like that. I don't remember anything else, lol. Just waiting for PoE now :p

How much res are you aiming for?

Fortunately, with a shield, you should only need 700 lightning resist. Hey, that's the same one I use too. No wonder searching for gear has been harder... Yeah, I think you should stack cold resist instead!

Anyway, honestly, as far as the bug goes, it's making me seriously disgusted with the community. What Blizzard needs to do is copy over how their EU forums are working. I swear, I found out it was defaulting me to the Europe forums (although I live in the USA), and switched to the USA forums... The monk forums went from actual discussions about monks to just another trade forum. And the general discussion page?... At least the strict European mods make it far more easy to discuss the game.

Didn't you read my post before quoting it??? I clearly said it was a 50/50 venture. I wouldn't have been able to do it alone one one side or another. Meaning I didn't have enough gold to buy everything off the auction house, hence only earned a reasonable designed amount of igg and I also wasn't able to do it with finding absolutely everything. Why do you feel like you HAVE to beat the game without using the GAH. News flash for ya but its part of the game, like using 6 skills and 3 passives are part of the game. Have you tried to beat inferno with nothing assigned to your 1 and 2 skill bar slots. To me its the same philosophy. I mean the GAH is a tool and is nothing more than a bigger wpn and armor vendor. Except you're not paying an npc but another gamer.

Your post is definitely accurate when it comes to the RMAH however. I can't stand the idea behing just whipping out a CC and buying your items to become elite in the game. Cuz now everyone top level player is just trivial, you can't believe them if they say they "earned" their gear cuz most likely they just bought it with real cash.

It just made the game boring for us and we all quit. All in all I believe it was 30 or so of us after meeting some people in the game also. All of us are perplexed that there is an AH in the game. None of us wanted to use it, but all felt compelled to do so because to not use the tools at your disposal would be stupid. And we all said this game sucks, is boring, and quit for the same reason.

Now you may say we're being judgmental, asinine, trying to play the game with our heads in the sand, etc. But finding gear on our own is what made every game I have played from Magnavox Pong in the 1970's until now fun. Going to the AH to gear up in WoW bored me so much that I would make another character and level it and crafting just so I could make the same item with my name on it even though leveling up the crafting cost 100X more than the item in the AH.

But see things like that made those games fun to me. I like time sinks. I like having things to do in games. Grinding is fun as long as it makes sense to me. If there is an AH then grinding becomes stupid to do because there is an AH. Why plow with a mule to grow crops when there is a market that I can buy them from? After I have my ingredients to make my salad it's time to move on to another thing or game.

That's my philosophy. Maybe I'm old fashioned, but it's the way I enjoy things.

Hope this comes out coherent; family members worrying me to death!

Fortunately, with a shield, you should only need 700 lightning resist. Hey, that's the same one I use too. No wonder searching for gear has been harder... Yeah, I think you should stack cold resist instead!

We don't need no stinking shields!

Basically all I did to decide what resist to use was to search AH for my first level 60 item with a good chunk of resist and it happened to be lightning, so I rolled with it.

The RMAH seems kind of hit or miss. I was browsing for a particular type of gear and there was only 1 match for over $100, while there were a few more options on the GAH for 10-20M. If you convert gold to RM using the in-game rate ($2.50 -> 1,000,000g), that's about $25-$50 for similar gear. It's not that hard to farm 10-20M gold legitimately either; it just requires a little persistence.

I believe that pretty much everything I have sold on the GAH has been bought by someone for re-listing on the RMAH. I mean I paid 5 or 10k for a bow that I used for a while, then sold it for 250k. I'm pretty sure whoever bought it was just farming gold using bots, and buying up items from the GAH from his farming income and relisting on the RMAH to make profit.

And honestly, that is a turn off for me. No, it does not affect my game play, but it just puts a bitter taste in my mouth every time I have to interact with the AH- which I agree seems like a de facto necessity unless you want to farm for tens or hundreds of hours just to progress to the next act. And if you're doing it for progression sake, what's the point? You're not going to see anything new you haven't already seen before.

I am still managing to enjoy playing since I mainly do it with friends now and we have no intention of farming or whatever. My goal is to just get my char to lvl60, then perhaps go back and start another using a different class. Pretty much once I hit 60, I find little to no reason why I should continue playing that character to unlock inferno mode since it's a circular situation. The only reason to go to inferno mode is to get better gear, but you only need better gear if you go to inferno mode. The rest of the game is exactly the same otherwise. So there is zero reason to progress unless you intend to farm inferno and try to get rich on the AH.

To play devil's advocate- arguably if you want to gear up in D3 "the way the developer intended", you must get some of your gear using the AH. :)

It just made the game boring for us and we all quit. All in all I believe it was 30 or so of us after meeting some people in the game also. All of us are perplexed that there is an AH in the game. None of us wanted to use it, but all felt compelled to do so because to not use the tools at your disposal would be stupid. And we all said this game sucks, is boring, and quit for the same reason.

Now you may say we're being judgmental, asinine, trying to play the game with our heads in the sand, etc. But finding gear on our own is what made every game I have played from Magnavox Pong in the 1970's until now fun. Going to the AH to gear up in WoW bored me so much that I would make another character and level it and crafting just so I could make the same item with my name on it even though leveling up the crafting cost 100X more than the item in the AH.

But see things like that made those games fun to me. I like time sinks. I like having things to do in games. Grinding is fun as long as it makes sense to me. If there is an AH then grinding becomes stupid to do because there is an AH. Why plow with a mule to grow crops when there is a market that I can buy them from? After I have my ingredients to make my salad it's time to move on to another thing or game.

That's my philosophy. Maybe I'm old fashioned, but it's the way I enjoy things.

Hope this comes out coherent; family members worrying me to death!

So you wanted to find gear on your own, but didnt want to find gear on your own? You can still join trade chat and haggle with people for identified items instead of the AH, just like the D2 days.

That's like people complaining about fast travel in fallout/skyrim/oblivion because you miss out on all the beautiful landscape and exploration, but then use fast travel because it takes too long to travel from point a to b.

But see things like that made those games fun to me. I like time sinks. I like having things to do in games. Grinding is fun as long as it makes sense to me. If there is an AH then grinding becomes stupid to do because there is an AH.

So grinding to harvest gold doesn't make sense to you?

I hate reading this thread most of the time because all I see are complaints from people who aren't even playing the game because they stopped playing. I don't see the point in complaining if you aren't even playing the game?!

I think some of us complain because there is a lot to like about the game, but the extremely low drop rates necesitated by the in-game AH/RMAH make it not enjoyable enough to play any more. After doing 3 Act1 runs and only having 1 item worth even posting to the AH days in a row, I said forget it. If I could get something exciting out of the 60+ rares I was getting out of these runs, it might be worth playing again. IMO.

killing diablo in act iv was fun, thanks blizzard for being a very incompetent game developer

invulnerable arcon bug for the win, seems mass patching is happening - guess they wan't to stomp it out quickly - was pretty hilarious grabbing 5 elites then killling them at once. :)

Not patching here, I am on the US server, are you EU?

Also, does invul persist through zoning? Don't have a wiz, can't try out.

Back