Diablo 3 Discussion Thread

Follow the rules, or cry when you get caught. Common sense would be a good idea as well.

Unfortunately rules, especially on an international scale can be so encumbersome and hard to know it all. This is blizzards fault, I'm fine with most of the issues raised about spending money in other regions, but they really should audit the account on depositing the money, and not on using it.

Hardly. As long as Titan is completed, Blizz is going to be around for at least another decade.

That and Blizzard has a large enough fan base. I have a friend that just bought D3 and loves it, but might be disappointed when he beats the game. Personally I'm not that up in arms because I beat most games very quickly. However I wish all developers kept end game and replay value in sight when developing a game.

Blizzard will have many games in the future.

Warcraft 4 will probably be the next one I buy.

Blizzard will have many games in the future.

Warcraft 4 will probably be the next one I buy.

If it isn't moddable or at least allow for custom maps, I don't see why people would be willing to give them the benefit of the doubt.

Pretty sure the only companies I am going to trust with my money on day 1 from now on are Valve and CDProjekt.

So my bro threw a trial pass my way and I'm playing D3 for the first time and the first thing that strikes me is the HORRIBLE HORRIBLE lag. I mean wtf is going on here? My character teleports around and there's sudden slowdown whenever I encounter a big group of mobs. It's ridiculous to experience this kind of lag when I'm playing SINGLE PLAYER.

It's not my computer, either. (i5 2500k, 8GB RAM, HD6870)

So my bro threw a trial pass my way and I'm playing D3 for the first time and the first thing that strikes me is the HORRIBLE HORRIBLE lag. I mean wtf is going on here? My character teleports around and there's sudden slowdown whenever I encounter a big group of mobs. It's ridiculous to experience this kind of lag when I'm playing SINGLE PLAYER.

Lag has nothing to do with your computer specs.

Lag is a feature of the game. Now dream of making a Hardcore character that is deleted if you die.

If the lag is so bad that you are teleporting around there is something wrong with your connection. The hitching people complain about is annoying, but it isn't like what teleporting sounds like.

Finally beat inferno Ghom on my monk with 535ish all resist, 25k-ish HP, and 33k-ish damage unbuffed.

Last edited:
Beat Zultan Kulle on my barb today. Kinda cheated and came in with about a minute's worth of protection shrine and a minute and a half of frenzy. I think I would have beat him regardless, but damn I'd be pissed if I died!

I've been collecting quite a bit of AR gear. My buffed resists were close to 1100, so I figured I could spare resist to get my hp up. Bought a helm without resist, but with socket, str, and vit and threw in a 14% amethyst to take my hp from 43k to 49k. I'd use a helm with a socket, str, vit, AND all resistance, but you can't really nab one of those for less than 5 million in HC. Six figure gold balance, so I'm pretty much broke.

So what would you guys say about these numbers for Belial?

49k health
19.5k dps (with beserker rage and frenzy maxed out)
7700 armor (72% damage reduction)
1000s resists (76-78% damage reduction)

Coming from a softcore wizard with 200ish resists and 23k health, I feel like I'm going to own Belial. But thought I'd do a gear check because I don't want 75 hours to go down the drain.

Beat Zultan Kulle on my barb today. Kinda cheated and came in with about a minute's worth of protection shrine and a minute and a half of frenzy. I think I would have beat him regardless, but damn I'd be pissed if I died!

I've been collecting quite a bit of AR gear. My buffed resists were close to 1100, so I figured I could spare resist to get my hp up. Bought a helm without resist, but with socket, str, and vit and threw in a 14% amethyst to take my hp from 43k to 49k. I'd use a helm with a socket, str, vit, AND all resistance, but you can't really nab one of those for less than 5 million in HC. Six figure gold balance, so I'm pretty much broke.

So what would you guys say about these numbers for Belial?

49k health
19.5k dps (with beserker rage and frenzy maxed out)
7700 armor (72% damage reduction)
1000s resists (76-78% damage reduction)

Coming from a softcore wizard with 200ish resists and 23k health, I feel like I'm going to own Belial. But thought I'd do a gear check because I don't want 75 hours to go down the drain.

Those look like pretty solid stats to me for belial.

Finally beat inferno Ghom on my monk with 535ish all resist, 30k-ish HP, and 33k-ish damage unbuffed.

Ghom is the toughest of all bosses in my opinion. Diablo himself was not nearly as tough. They should nerf him or make him the finally Act 3 boss.

Ghom is the toughest of all bosses in my opinion. Diablo himself was not nearly as tough. They should nerf him or make him the finally Act 3 boss.

And change his voice actor from RuPaul to VA thats just a bit more menacing like Pee Wee Herman.

I'm just now starting to mess around with the Auction side a bit more.
Not sure if it's always like this, but I'm noticing that scrolling through the gear and looking for low buyouts seems to be the way to go...even for the level 60+ stuff.
Maybe some players just don't care about price, but I'm regularly seeing items for something like 20 million on the first two pages, but 4-5 pages in I see roughly the same item with 95% the same stats for less than 100K. I'm stocking up on things that are 95% as good as the first page items for 30-150K a pop.

I'm just now starting to mess around with the Auction side a bit more.
Not sure if it's always like this, but I'm noticing that scrolling through the gear and looking for low buyouts seems to be the way to go..

This is where I stopped reading.

Good day.

Anybody that spends $200 on virtual items has more money than brains. People like this are telling Blizz its ok to design a game around a RMAH. Thank you.
It was only a few pages back that I posted a similar reply to a similarly ridiculous assertion. Here it is again:

You have spent $60 of RL cash into virtual items already (by buying this game) and you have spend hundreds of dollars on other games and thousands of dollars on hardware to play those games.

Somehow, in your value system, it is OK to pay $60 for something, but it's not OK to pay additional funds for value added services.

In my personal experience, as in people I know IRL, this type of attitude is often found among people who simply do not have sufficient disposable income to spend it on entertainment, fun stuff, hobbies.

Adults spend money on entertainment. Some spend it on hookers and blow, some on parasailing or scuba diving, some travel, some buy stuff for their significant others.

Just because something has no intrinsic and tangible value to you doesn't mean that such value doesn't exist for someone else. In fact the very difference of how people value things is why the stock market and by extension capitalism works.

Some people pay money for virtual gear in games. To them that is an entertainment expense and they derive value from the experience of playing with that gear. Above all they can afford to do so and at the end of the day it is no one's business how someone else spends the money their earned.

It was only a few pages back that I posted a similar reply to a similarly ridiculous assertion. Here it is again:

You have spent $60 of RL cash into virtual items already (by buying this game) and you have spend hundreds of dollars on other games and thousands of dollars on hardware to play those games.

Somehow, in your value system, it is OK to pay $60 for something, but it's not OK to pay additional funds for value added services.

In my personal experience, as in people I know IRL, this type of attitude is often found among people who simply do not have sufficient disposable income to spend it on entertainment, fun stuff, hobbies.

Adults spend money on entertainment. Some spend it on hookers and blow, some on parasailing or scuba diving, some travel, some buy stuff for their significant others.

Just because something has no intrinsic and tangible value to you doesn't mean that such value doesn't exist for someone else. In fact the very difference of how people value things is why the stock market and by extension capitalism works.

Some people pay money for virtual gear in games. To them that is an entertainment expense and they derive value from the experience of playing with that gear. Above all they can afford to do so and at the end of the day it is no one's business how someone else spends the money their earned.

Then why do you post stupid rants about Kickstarter all the time?

I have zero sympathy for anybody spending real money on this game. Anybody that spends $200 on virtual items has more money than brains. People like this are telling Blizz its ok to design a game around a RMAH. Thank you.
While I have limited sympathy for people who can afford to use the RMAH, what happened with this guy was wrong. Granted, he seems to have fallen through the right cracks in order to be in his situation, but according to the follow up thread, it looks like they at least unlocked his account to play.

I imagine Blizzard will learn from this and hopefully not let people make deposits who have region issues. Or maybe they won't and people will just be at the mercy of the TOS that none of us have read.

This is where I stopped reading.

Good day.

Sorry for not being "up" on the game as much as some others. Why isn't this the case? I'm seeing the first 5-6 pages everything is like 200,000,000 gold and up...and then on page 5-6 there's the same item, but instead of increasing stats by 300, it increases the same ones by 290...and it's a whopping 30K to buy it outright instead of competing with bids over a million dollars for the next 24 hours. Is there something I'm missing?

Sorry for not being "up" on the game as much as some others. Why isn't this the case? I'm seeing the first 5-6 pages everything is like 200,000,000 gold and up...and then on page 5-6 there's the same item, but instead of increasing stats by 300, it increases the same ones by 290...and it's a whopping 30K to buy it outright instead of competing with bids over a million dollars for the next 24 hours. Is there something I'm missing?

Oh I'm not talking about being "up" on the game at all. Just the use of the Auction House in general.

He has a point though. As gamers, how many of us have heard comments basically stating we've wasted our money buying video games, or buying a computer/computer parts, be it from a spouse/significant other, family member, friend, etc? (Anyone who doesn't know the feeling is either lying imho, or probably shouldn't be browsing [H]).

If I blow 2 grand on a week holiday or gambling in Vegas, that's considered socially acceptable, but if I spent $10 on virtual money, I'm obviously an idiot.

Now, I'm not stating that I've spent real money of my own on this game, albeit I have used the RMAH with funds I've made from selling other gear on the RMAH. Nor would I invest any money in this game outside of the initial purchase. But if a person wants or feels the need too, that's their prerogative.

Now, I'm not targetting any person in particular for the above, but sometimes group-think's social stigmatization of what constitutes a moron is from a society that is penny-wise and dollar-foolish.

He has a point though. As gamers, how many of us have heard comments basically stating we've wasted our money buying video games, or buying a computer/computer parts, be it from a spouse/significant other, family member, friend, etc? (Anyone who doesn't know the feeling is either lying imho, or probably shouldn't be browsing [H]).

If I blow 2 grand on a week holiday or gambling in Vegas, that's considered socially acceptable, but if I spent $10 on virtual money, I'm obviously an idiot.

Now, I'm not stating that I've spent real money of my own on this game, albeit I have used the RMAH with funds I've made from selling other gear on the RMAH. Nor would I invest any money in this game outside of the initial purchase. But if a person wants or feels the need too, that's their prerogative.

Now, I'm not targetting any person in particular for the above, but sometimes group-think's social stigmatization of what constitutes a moron is from a society that is penny-wise and dollar-foolish.

Well said, but you fell into the social stigmatization also. You could've had the same effective comment and not included the part I bolded for you. That added nothing to your comment, but you just felt the need to clarify that you hadn't spent any money on the RMAH.

No, I agree. I don't care if people spend money on the RMAH.

Because unlike buying virtual items or any other kind of entertainment expense Kickstarter projects only deliver the potential of a future benefit. In the real of intangible there's nothing lower than spending money on something that has a very good chance of never coming to be.

It's just like my sig says, Kickstarter projects pander to your emotions and nostalgia and generally being fed up with commercial games to extract money from you. It's as close to a scam and you can get without to get into legal trouble because there is no obligation to ever deliver a finished product.

By giving money to a Kickstarter project you are paying for someone else to pursue their hobby full time.

EDIT: inserted "of a"

Last edited:
Because unlike buying virtual items or any other kind of entertainment expense Kickstarter projects only deliver the potential of a future benefit. In the real of intangible there's nothing lower than spending money on something that has a very good chance of never coming to be.

It's just like my sig says, Kickstarter projects pander to your emotions and nostalgia and generally being fed up with commercial games to extract money from you. It's as close to a scam and you can get without to get into legal trouble because there is no obligation to ever deliver a finished product.

By giving money to a Kickstarter project you are paying for someone else to pursue their hobby full time.

EDIT: inserted "of a"

Just poking at your compartmentalization. Why not rage about PayPal donate buttons on ongoing mod websites? :p

I love the inconsistency selling items in RMAH. I sold 10 mil gold and got $18.04 in paypal after the fees. I sold another 10 mil and got $16.97 after the fees. Shouldnt the same item bring the same money? lol.

Well said, but you fell into the social stigmatization also. You could've had the same effective comment and not included the part I bolded for you. That added nothing to your comment, but you just felt the need to clarify that you hadn't spent any money on the RMAH.

It's to argue that he's not supporting the use of the RMAH, but he's not against it either. Sometimes when you argue for choice over removing or requiring a feature, people think you are taking sides against their point of view. It happens all the time when you take a neutral stance.

I've fallen in the same situation, I've never used the RMAH, but when I argue that it is the users choice to use or not use the RMAH or GAH, they think I'm rushing to defend it.

I have bought stuff off the RMAH, just not any excess money. And I don't deny that I fall victim to society's pressures, but I'm not going to ostracize people if they feel the need to use the RMAH.

Honestly, I'm a fan of the RMAH. I think it's actually one of the more positive steps that Blizzard has incorporated into the game, and it's been a long time coming. It helps promote a safer pathway for people who want to get ahead in the game with minimal effort without resorting to less trustworthy means. It's really no different than all those console games with their DLC which allows you to buy levels and gold. And it allows people who are avid players to hopefully make back some of the money they spent on the game.

Now, the issues I have with the RMAH are split between Blizzard and the community. An area I wouldn't like the RMAH is if it's being forced on you. What I mean is that if you couldn't have a realistic shot at beating the game without it. This is one area where I can't stand DLC. Partially complete games are a bane, and nickel and diming people to death is sleezy and should never be allowed imho. But the RMAH doesn't really do this. The other area is the forums. I recently noticed that I was defaulted to the European servers and forums and switched over to the Americas. I'm really starting to regret this. Now, the European mods could be a little over-zealous with their moderating, but the American forums, the moderators seem to not care the least about what goes on. Almost every forum just seems to be another trade forum. While we blame Blizzard for putting too much attention on the RMAH (which probably has a little truth to it), the community is even worse. It seems to be not a community which cares about the game at all, but a community which is constantly just focused on their own personal wealth.

Fair enough. Lets just agree to disagree.

Now, the issues I have with the RMAH are split between Blizzard and the community. An area I wouldn't like the RMAH is if it's being forced on you. What I mean is that if you couldn't have a realistic shot at beating the game without it. This is one area where I can't stand DLC. Partially complete games are a bane, and nickel and diming people to death is sleezy and should never be allowed imho. But the RMAH doesn't really do this. The other area is the forums. I recently noticed that I was defaulted to the European servers and forums and switched over to the Americas. I'm really starting to regret this. Now, the European mods could be a little over-zealous with their moderating, but the American forums, the moderators seem to not care the least about what goes on. Almost every forum just seems to be another trade forum. While we blame Blizzard for putting too much attention on the RMAH (which probably has a little truth to it), the community is even worse. It seems to be not a community which cares about the game at all, but a community which is constantly just focused on their own personal wealth.

Isn't that pretty much all that's left? The people i know who are still playing just farm and sell. The people who actually cared about the game got bored long ago because there is nothing to do in the game other than farm and sell shit.

Now if they'd actually balance their moves already, so you can have fun playing around with different specs, and add in PVP or some real end game... i'll bet people would start playing again to actually play.

Isn't that pretty much all that's left? The people i know who are still playing just farm and sell. The people who actually cared about the game got bored long ago because there is nothing to do in the game other than farm and sell shit.

Exactly. It isn't though there is much to debate about specs, or how to farm, etc. All that matters is your gear.

Now if they'd actually balance their moves already, so you can have fun playing around with different specs, and add in PVP or some real end game... i'll bet people would start playing again to actually play.

Not really sure I can agree with this. I mean, the game's been out for slightly over 2 months, but if you read many comments (not just here, but other places), you'd have thought that the game is 10 years old. Has society's attention degraded that much that a game only has a 3 day shelf life?

I'm trying to level multiple characters up, and am constantly meeting new players who just bought the game today, or yesterday, or last week, etc. Sure, Diablo 3 has sold a ton of the first few days, but that doesn't mean there aren't people who aren't still purchasing the game. Nor does it exclude the people who have bought the game, but can only play maybe 10 or fewer hours a week.

Determining who or who doesn't care about the game is a tricky subject. I fall into the category of people who really don't give a **** about all these "pro-gamers". I give their opinion the same weight as I give Anon#1542's opinion on the game.

I won't deny that there are significant issues to be fixed, nor that it's a downgrade from Diablo 2. Then again, I feel many games in general fall into this category, even those which are popular. I'm not quite sure how to fix this though, as I think it's an issue with the community as well as the developers. E.g. About a week ago, I tried introducing a friend on XBox to a game that I enjoyed which came out awhile ago. Despite being a much more complex game, he didn't play it for more than 2 days before he got bored, because he had no idea what he was doing. I remember him asking "How do I open up my inventory?" to which I responded "press the i key". Honestly, that's not just him that has this problem, and it's games like Diablo 3 which are catering to the changing tastes of gamers.

Back