Diablo 3 Discussion Thread

Thanks guys, that's what I assumed but just wanted to make sure I wasn't overlooking something. Only white that could give me issues is something that charges from off screen but it doesn't happen often

A4 scythe carrying enemies that zoom across the screen
A5 Anarchs
A2/A5 leapers

Those I find give the most headache to long range DH's. Especially the leapers in high grifts (36+). One good hit is an insta kill if you're purely spec'd out for damage or elite protection.

Elites:

Damage Reflect
Jailer
Thunderstorm

These agitate me to no end as the only defense is to pop your turrets up and then run so the enemies are off screen preventing their launch. Of course not to far because then your attacks don't hit.

That's why it's required to use one of those gems which adds defense. Most use taeguk, but esoteric alteration is quite useful against the lightning enemies. Although a lot of DH's now use Molten Wildebeest's Gizzard as not only does it prevent a nice chunk of damage, allowing you to get away quite often, but it allows Pride's to still regenerate hatred while the shield still exists, and covers all damage, and not just elemental. Plus, if you get seriously injured, you can regenerate to full health fairly quickly, whereas without it, if your second life procs, you can be seriously screwed quite often.

I got about 5 rifts in a row (43+), all with shit affixes like jailer, frozen and lightning. Plus each of them had leaders or other charging monsters which you can't avoid since they come from off screen. I've completey lost interest in doing grifts with my demon hunter. It's too much about luck at this point. It sucks getting a shitty rift every time.

I got about 5 rifts in a row (43+), all with shit affixes like jailer, frozen and lightning. Plus each of them had leaders or other charging monsters which you can't avoid since they come from off screen. I've completey lost interest in doing grifts with my demon hunter. It's too much about luck at this point. It sucks getting a shitty rift every time.

For HC, one item heavily overlooked is the Illusory Boots. I know DH's prefer Pride's Fall or a Cindercoat, but don't discount these boots. Yes, you won't regen hatred as fast, but they make up that shortcoming in the greatest way possible. You can walk through enemies and their walls. This allows me to group up multiple elites in higher level grifts, because I don't care about their affixes. Krelm's Buff Bracers also add a nice, anti-vortexing. Yes, you will run out of hatred faster, but I can always be moving now, and outside of jailer, almost never get hit, even with groups of 3-4 elites on screen at once. (Replace Vault with Smoke Screen). If I could only find a Cameo now...

Kulle-Aid + Vault will accomplish the same thing as Illusory Boots without wasting an item slot.
Assuming you don't use all your Disc. Then you're in trouble.

If you use frostburn you can't use pride's fall which is much better than the 15% cold and secondary. Using my DH on seasons, I can shoot 9-10 CA before running out of hatred compared to 5 without Pride's Fall.

Depends on what skills he is using and if he is running low on Hate...though the new Life Regen Gem + Pride is pretty amazing. I'd probably get both in the long run and switch them out depending on the need.

So, we had the Charter guy come today to switch us over to ATT. Internet went out while I was in game and I didn't think much of it. Went to work. Just got home, logged in, and my guy is dead.

ZZZZZZzzzzzz..........

ibysr6.png

Talk about pure fluke...

It took me less than 100 shards to gamble a Witching hour, and it was ancient version (which would make it the second ancient witching hour, and the second witching hour I have managed to gamble).

On an achievement speed run through act 1, another WH dropped, a normal one, but it was actually an UPGRADE as my last WH rolled bad CHD, whereas this one rolled perfect CHD....

Ok, I managed to get my Gem of Ease to level 25 last night and leveled a monk, 65 at the moment, I believe the following is what I should be aiming for:

SWK Gloves, shoulders and amulet, Inna's chest, belt and legs, Leoric's helm, Crudest boots, RoRG, Incense torch, Gungo Gear and SoJ, anything to change from that?

Also, does Gungo Gear's effect mean that anything that get's hit by EP's explosion also gets applied EP?

Check out Quin69 and DatModz for monk builds/help. Basically the gear you need for every monk build is SWK gauntlets, shoulders and amulet.

that is insane crit damage.
what do you use for the FPS and the mouse pointer? I seem to lose my pointer all the time when I play.

DH uses Marked for Death with the Grim Reaper rune and I use Sever + Exploding Palm. Sever's proc does the damage. I didn't think it would work but it dishes out damage based off of that, so Grim Reaper applies 20% of that proc damage once EP sets off. If there were any enemies in the 20 yard range for Grim Reaper at that time, they'd take 300 billion or so damage.

Fucking. Awesome.

edit: had to use fraps to record and make sure it was actually doing that damage because it happens too fast on screen. Played it back for confirmation. And my friend Ronjon clued me in on YoloMouse. Apparently using the 32 bit version is the way to go, but it's been a great help for me

Ok so I am starting to get the hang of my DH finally. I only have 1 piece of Marauders right now (Chest) and am obviously working towards M6. I currently can do ~T2, haven't tried T3. Stuff doesn't really explode, but I don't have problems with dying.

I have the quiver that lets me spam chakram as a generator. What rune should I be using with Chakram? Currently I have been running the dual rune. Also are there any main pieces I should be looking for aside from Marauders set pieces?

Ok so I am starting to get the hang of my DH finally. I only have 1 piece of Marauders right now (Chest) and am obviously working towards M6. I currently can do ~T2, haven't tried T3. Stuff doesn't really explode, but I don't have problems with dying.

I have the quiver that lets me spam chakram as a generator. What rune should I be using with Chakram? Currently I have been running the dual rune. Also are there any main pieces I should be looking for aside from Marauders set pieces?

I would say fire or physical for chakram if you have a choice but really use the element for whatever you have on gear early on. I don't really like the cold chakram, it's too slow.

Craft 3 piece Aughild's set. Even 2 piece Blackthornes helps early on and is pretty easy to get and use along with 3 piece aughild's. Magefists and obviously Cindercoat but only if it drops. I wouldn't waste time actively trying to get one until you get M6 and it's easier to get one on a Monk.

I personally use the fire chakram because of the larger area, and as Boo said, cold one is too slow.

Keep an eye out for Arcane barb recipe though, it'll become important for you for your DH.

I did a combination of Bloodshards and Greater rifts for my M6, for some reason it doesn't want to drop at all in normal rifts. Currently I am using Fire Multishot for T6 because I feel it's wasting less damage than CA/Maelstrom

DH uses Marked for Death with the Grim Reaper rune and I use Sever + Exploding Palm. Sever's proc does the damage. I didn't think it would work but it dishes out damage based off of that, so Grim Reaper applies 20% of that proc damage once EP sets off. If there were any enemies in the 20 yard range for Grim Reaper at that time, they'd take 300 billion or so damage.

Fucking. Awesome.

edit: had to use fraps to record and make sure it was actually doing that damage because it happens too fast on screen. Played it back for confirmation. And my friend Ronjon clued me in on YoloMouse. Apparently using the 32 bit version is the way to go, but it's been a great help for me

You do know that those numbers are only applied to the 'killing blow' (when using Sever) so it's not like you would do that amount of damage to mobs normally, otherwise you would one shot just about everything.

I mean the Sever is good if you want big juicy yellow numbers, but really they are only for self satisfaction/awe, and doesn't really affect your kill power at all.

You do know that those numbers are only applied to the 'killing blow' (when using Sever) so it's not like you would do that amount of damage to mobs normally, otherwise you would one shot just about everything.

I mean the Sever is good if you want big juicy yellow numbers, but really they are only for self satisfaction/awe, and doesn't really affect your kill power at all.

Not true, when used in conjunction with grim reaper, that final crit from the sever is very much dealing real damage. Just look at some of the streamers like quin and Gabynator. How do you think they recently started farming level 60+ keys and Grifts. I don't think any of them have actually been successful at finishing the grifts in time, but they don't really care at this point. Its a way to get into those grifts, and level your gems, even if it feels like youre banging your head against a brick wall trying to get through it.

Not true, when used in conjunction with grim reaper, that final crit from the sever is very much dealing real damage. Just look at some of the streamers like quin and Gabynator. How do you think they recently started farming level 60+ keys and Grifts. I don't think any of them have actually been successful at finishing the grifts in time, but they don't really care at this point. Its a way to get into those grifts, and level your gems, even if it feels like youre banging your head against a brick wall trying to get through it.

Grim Reaper is pretty much the only practical application Sever has, but it's a fun one to use if you want to make a "melee DH" for fun. I had one last season that died on the last day pushing a 29 Grift (got literally instagibbed for 1M+ health against that big rock dude that reflects projectiles and summons clones...still not sure how that happened). Was going to build another this season but haven't found a Sever on my Monk yet. Regular DH just doesn't interest me.

The group use of Sever + Exploding Palm is definitely interesting though.

I would say fire or physical for chakram if you have a choice but really use the element for whatever you have on gear early on. I don't really like the cold chakram, it's too slow.

Craft 3 piece Aughild's set. Even 2 piece Blackthornes helps early on and is pretty easy to get and use along with 3 piece aughild's. Magefists and obviously Cindercoat but only if it drops. I wouldn't waste time actively trying to get one until you get M6 and it's easier to get one on a Monk.

Awesome thanks, I think I got Aughilds set recipe last night. I have 3 piece Blackthornes right now so I will add Aughilds to that.

OK I am currently building out a DH in Seasons... stuck on deciding if I want to go with a Cold or Fire build... I currently have the muarders *spelling is wrong* set in full except the Helm (currently farming for it) I do have non socket Pride helm. I also have a Cindercoat in storage... so i am close to going either way... What do you guys prefer?

OK I am currently building out a DH in Seasons... stuck on deciding if I want to go with a Cold or Fire build... I currently have the muarders *spelling is wrong* set in full except the Helm (currently farming for it) I do have non socket Pride helm. I also have a Cindercoat in storage... so i am close to going either way... What do you guys prefer?

Cold is the easiest of the builds, but the weakest overall, although it gives you the best healing. Fire is better for clearing mobs (go multishot over cluster). Probably the best for groups. Physical is the build for solo play. It's a mixture of group/single.

What Rdzona said. I remember the blue posts way back saying that no, those weren't real damage numbers and instead it is how the monsters are unable to be resurrected by the shamans. I didn't think it would work because, of all things, why would one particular skill and rune make it do damage? We tried it out and it worked, lol

Go to 1:36:40 and watch the RG get 1.584 trillion life taken off.

What Rdzona said. I remember the blue posts way back saying that no, those weren't real damage numbers and instead it is how the monsters are unable to be resurrected by the shamans. I didn't think it would work because, of all things, why would one particular skill and rune make it do damage? We tried it out and it worked, lol

Go to 1:36:40 and watch the RG get 1.584 trillion life taken off.

Ah, OK, I got it. But we do agree Sever by itself isn't that great at anything in particular?

This will probably get nerfed to oblivion soon.

Ah, OK, I got it. But we do agree Sever by itself isn't that great at anything in particular?

This will probably get nerfed to oblivion soon.

Sever has functioned this way for a long time and, as you say, isn't that great on its own... So a nerf is pretty unlikely.

I finally got a 2nd piece of Sunwuko to drop tonight. I was waiting on a 2nd piece to ramp up my damage and move up from T3...and the very next rift I one-shot myself on Stonesinger with a LTK...

iULLmskh.jpg

I really don't know why that reflect isn't %-based in some way considering how player damage scales off the charts compared with player toughness; it's basically the D3 version of iron maiden. Had a pretty epic Cinder Switch on that dude too so that's a bummer: http://us.battle.net/d3/en/profile/Aix-1131/hero/58855551.

Last edited:
So....explain this to me.

When a HC character dies, what happens to all the gear on him? They go poof?

I finally got a 2nd piece of Sunwuko to drop tonight. I was waiting on a 2nd piece to ramp up my damage and move up from T3...and the very next rift I one-shot myself on Stonesinger with a LTK...

iULLmskh.jpg

I really don't know why that reflect isn't %-based in some way considering how player damage scales off the charts compared with player toughness; it's basically the D3 version of iron maiden. Had a pretty epic Cinder Switch on that dude too so that's a bummer: http://us.battle.net/d3/en/profile/Aix-1131/hero/58855551.

Damn, I've never ran into that issue with that guy. I lost my Monk a couple days ago in a 36 grift without dual unity, was doing good until ran into 2 elites, one frozen and the other vortex/frozen. Lost my ancient Torch, damage rolls on it were kind of low and it needed a gift (3700dps, no +10% damage) which I didn't have, but it still hurts.

Had enough backup gear for another Monk though.

Reflect damage will insta-kill Monks for some reason.
I've died so many times in Trials, the spinny Dune mobs spawn out of nowhere and boom... Dead.

Stonesinger will 1-shot you when his sand shield is up.

None of these effects do any damage whatsoever to my DH.

Back