• Some users have recently had their accounts hijacked. It seems that the now defunct EVGA forums might have compromised your password there and seems many are using the same PW here. We would suggest you UPDATE YOUR PASSWORD and TURN ON 2FA for your account here to further secure it. None of the compromised accounts had 2FA turned on.
    Once you have enabled 2FA, your account will be updated soon to show a badge, letting other members know that you use 2FA to protect your account. This should be beneficial for everyone that uses FSFT.

Diablo 3 Discussion Thread

And furthering my point. The game is really quite fun on normal, nightmare, and hell. No AH, just killing stuff and getting loot. It's not until end game where you're farming forever with nothing good ever dropping. This makes me happy - I like this new dev. Screw Jay Wilson. :)
 
Well think about it this way - they aren't going to invest resources maintaining order on an AH that makes them no money. It was likely a business decision, but at least now there won't be any pressure from above to stifle the game for RMAH profits.
 
I'm totally 3000000% shocked they are going to shutdown the RMAH, that was a cash moo moo for them. Not going to cry to badly to see both AHs going buh bye. Now they just need to get rid of the single-player online requirement crap. But one can only wish for so much. :(

I'm still not convinced the RMAH is a cash cow (nobody has the data). I posted a while ago about how much maintaining the AH could cost and that their 15% cut likely didn't result in large amounts of profits.

This also makes since with them shutting it down. If it was a cash cow I doubt they'd shut it down before the expansion pack when there is money to be had.

but who knows.
 
Can someone far smarter than me care to elaborate why the gold AH and Loot 2.0 can't/shouldn't co-exist? I've always believed that the AH itself wasn't the issue, it was that drop rates were clearly tuned to account for its existence. With loot 2.0 on the horizon, it would seem that the need for each player to depend on the AH would be far less since you actually (in theory) would be getting good gear on your own, and use the AH for what it should have always been intended for - a secure trading post to fill in the gaps.

The minor issue would be they would need to add in even more unique rewards for those that like to grind. With the availability of loot and quality of loot in Loot 2.0, everyone will have access to top of the line gear in a matter of weeks. The content in the expansion will need to be tough as nails, or people will lose interest quickly.
 
Can someone far smarter than me care to elaborate why the gold AH and Loot 2.0 can't/shouldn't co-exist? I've always believed that the AH itself wasn't the issue, it was that drop rates were clearly tuned to account for its existence. With loot 2.0 on the horizon, it would seem that the need for each player to depend on the AH would be far less since you actually (in theory) would be getting good gear on your own, and use the AH for what it should have always been intended for - a secure trading post to fill in the gaps.

It not an issue, people just perceived it to be. For some reason people are going crazy with the announcement like the game is going to be different because of it. It's going to be different because of loot 2.0, which was announced a long time ago.

If they announced this but not 2.0, you'd probably find as many people excited about the change because they thought it would fix the game. RMAH never broke the game, removing doesn't fix the game. The loot changes will, which the people who have actually been playing the game have been saying this entire time
 
What they should do as a great alternative is have a "Trade House." It will have the same essential user interface and function almost exactly the same as the auction houses right now, except it will be for trade only. No gold and no real money. Essentially, you list items as a trade and other people have the the option of linking their trades. If a deal is struck, the original poster has the option of completing the trade. Searching for items would still function the same way. You would search for an item exactly as you would have in the current auction houses. The only difference is that what is used to pay for a trade is an actual item that the other trader links. I suppose there could be "buyout" parameters where the original trade poster can set parameters for an item they're looking for based on item class and modifiers. Otherwise, the original trader will see links to other people's wares for the trade. In order to combat people spamming useless crappy items, the original trade poster can set restrictions to what offers can come in, again like item class, modifiers, etc.
 
What I got from that: we aren't getting Loot 2.0 until March 2014.

I really hope they don't go too far in the opposite direction and make it rain upgrades every 5 minutes. This is just going to make black market sales skyrocket...unless they skew it so that you get so much stuff you have no need. Without seeing Loot 2.0 it's tough to judge, but I don't have a problem with the AH; it's the loot itself that has been the problem. They had better have a decent way of organizing trades in the works considering that you can't make games D2-style.
 
if they get itemization right this game can really really soar. i hope they add a few more classes too because i have no interest in playing a paladin.


I think my trade house system would work splendidly. Blizzard wouldn't get a cut from trades, so there's no reason for them to tweak item drops in favor of the gold/rmah as most people are lead to believe.

Here's to hoping my idea takes off or at least makes the devs think.
http://us.battle.net/d3/en/forum/topic/9972358379?page=1#3

any way of obtaining the items without getting them from killing monsters should be considered cheating because it simply breaks the game.
 
There's no way they are just going to cut the AH without giving some form of trading interface to replace it. And I'm sure it will have improvements over the D2 system. My guess is we'll hear more about that at Blizzcon.
 
There's no way they are just going to cut the AH without giving some form of trading interface to replace it. And I'm sure it will have improvements over the D2 system. My guess is we'll hear more about that at Blizzcon.

It is problem just like the consoles... You open a trade window.
 
I'm really confused about their decision. Why the hell remove them?

Sure, i was no fan but if they were to:

a) create a fuck ton of smaller regions for AH trading
b) add in-game NPCs for accessing the AH

I think it'd be cool. Are they really going to just remove the AH without replacing it with something? Without being able to create and join games, the trading will be worse than PoE :confused: :wtf:
 
Looks like they FINALLY came to their senses.

I agree with this 100%.

Thank you Blizzard.
 
any way of obtaining the items without getting them from killing monsters should be considered cheating because it simply breaks the game.

Sarcasm or serious? I couldn't tell. At any rate, how is that considered cheating unless you're speculating that people can hack the game and create their own items ala Ith weapons from d2.

Let's just disregard hacked items for the sake of this argument. Someone killed the monster and received the drop that is being traded on the "trade house" I proposed. It's no different from trading in d2 through the USEast/West trade channels prior to the advent of d2jsp.
 
Anybody been on the D3 forums after the news hit? I'm afraid to go to that cesspool and listen to all the crying.
 
Sarcasm or serious? I couldn't tell. At any rate, how is that considered cheating unless you're speculating that people can hack the game and create their own items ala Ith weapons from d2.

Let's just disregard hacked items for the sake of this argument. Someone killed the monster and received the drop that is being traded on the "trade house" I proposed. It's no different from trading in d2 through the USEast/West trade channels prior to the advent of d2jsp.

naw wasnt sarcasm. honestly i dont think this game should have trading. literally the only point to playing this game is items. why play if i can trade for the items i need or buy them? if i wanted to barter or play diplomat i would play civ 5. only way to obtain items should be from killing monsters because that is literally all that the game is good at
The AH was never really the issue... The itemization itself was mainly to blame.

while itemization contributed and is a problem

the AH is worse. i agree that itemization is partly the reason the AH broke the game though for sure
 
if they get itemization right this game can really really soar. i hope they add a few more classes too because i have no interest in playing a paladin.

any way of obtaining the items without getting them from killing monsters should be considered cheating because it simply breaks the game.

What breaks the game for you makes the game for others; if Loot 2.0 provides players with all kinds of powerful self-found loot then how could trading for a specific item break the game? If another player has a build-altering item I want, and I have something they want, then it sounds like we're making the most of our drops and getting the most out of the online experience.

Seriously though, we're actually going to have to wait another 6-8 months for Loot 2.0? They've mentioned more info will be available at Blizzcon, but they've already confirmed there will only be one new class and already shown the RoS content changes...PVP would be the only thing I can think would be announced at Blizzcon, and in recent interviews they looked like people trying to put off debt collectors whenever the subject came up, so I doubt that's it.

I hope we at least get the skills revamp patch before Loot 2.0 if that's seriously the kind of time frame they've put on it.
 
What breaks the game for you makes the game for others; if Loot 2.0 provides players with all kinds of powerful self-found loot then how could trading for a specific item break the game? If another player has a build-altering item I want, and I have something they want, then it sounds like we're making the most of our drops and getting the most out of the online experience.

Seriously though, we're actually going to have to wait another 6-8 months for Loot 2.0? They've mentioned more info will be available at Blizzcon, but they've already confirmed there will only be one new class and already shown the RoS content changes...PVP would be the only thing I can think would be announced at Blizzcon, and in recent interviews they looked like people trying to put off debt collectors whenever the subject came up, so I doubt that's it.

I hope we at least get the skills revamp patch before Loot 2.0 if that's seriously the kind of time frame they've put on it.

ill have to disagree, its not really subjective at all. ( broken is broken, personal feelings aside )

diablo is about killing monsters for loot

trading means getting items, without killing monsters.

diablo 3 broken because itemization was terrible and ah was so easily accessible leaving nothing to do, because you already have the items.
 
I really hope I'm wrong, but that date reads to me as the date we'll get Loot 2.0. Considering at that point it will have been a year since they announced that it was going to happen, I'll be really sad.
 
naw wasnt sarcasm. honestly i dont think this game should have trading. literally the only point to playing this game is items. why play if i can trade for the items i need or buy them? if i wanted to barter or play diplomat i would play civ 5. only way to obtain items should be from killing monsters because that is literally all that the game is good at


while itemization contributed and is a problem

the AH is worse. i agree that itemization is partly the reason the AH broke the game though for sure
Thank you for sharing your views. I'm being sincere here. Your point of view is of course as valid as mine. It's good to be able to have a discussion like this free from trolling. I guess we'll have to see what happens in 6 months.
 
No more AH heroes, I always see people talking in general like they have been playing the game daily since it came out, check their profiles, 500k dps, 2000 elite kills
 
Thank you for sharing your views. I'm being sincere here. Your point of view is of course as valid as mine. It's good to be able to have a discussion like this free from trolling. I guess we'll have to see what happens in 6 months.

agreed! hey man we both want the same thing. a diablo that is fun to play amiright :) <3
 
No more AH heroes, I always see people talking in general like they have been playing the game daily since it came out, check their profiles, 500k dps, 2000 elite kills

This doesnt change anything, you'll be sure to find the same people buying crap on a black market. Make an self found only ladder? People will buy full accounts.


For some reason, people think that real money trading will stop in a game like this?
 
And now for the cynical perspective:

Due to the absolute crash-dead bottom pricing of most items on the AH, as well as a huge drop in volume; I believe that Blizzard is now losing money on the AH. Previously, chopping 15% off thousands of $2-5 sales + hundreds of $5+ sales profited them, but now that most trades are below $2 (assumed, someone confirm?), possibly lower, it doesn't cover the fees involved on their end.

Either way, the "test" that is the RMAH has been completed, and the lessons learned will undoubtedly be put to use in Titan. Whether it be another RMAH, or a cleverly similar-but-different-enough version of it, you'll see inspiration from it.

As far as RoS goes, great news. It will be a better game for it. But as 'ole Kripp has said, Blizzard doesn't make games to last for decades anymore, they make disposable, one-off experiences now. You'll get 20-50hours out of the expansion, but then it'll be old, stale, and just won't have the staying factor of their previous games. Plus they'll have a wow expansion / last chunk of SC2 to sell you anyways.
 
No more AH heroes, I always see people talking in general like they have been playing the game daily since it came out, check their profiles, 500k dps, 2000 elite kills

And those people are winning the game and at the top of the pvp ladder....O wait.


Never really check my kill counts I thought I'd have higher than this.

1,261,203 ~ LIFETIME KILLS
63,092 ~ELITE KILLS
 
ill have to disagree, its not really subjective at all. ( broken is broken, personal feelings aside )

diablo is about killing monsters for loot

trading means getting items, without killing monsters.

diablo 3 broken because itemization was terrible and ah was so easily accessible leaving nothing to do, because you already have the items.

You assume that players don't actually care about the method of killing the monsters, only that the monsters are killed and that loot is obtained. If you're one of those people that only has one character running whatever the FOTM build is, then that makes sense.

Some people build characters to kill monsters in different ways and the loot is a means to an end. For you, killing the monsters is the means to getting loot, which is not the same thing. So it is subjective: for some, the game is broken without the ability to trade, and for you the game is broken with the ability to trade (despite the fact that it is optional).
 
Blizzard doesn't make games to last for decades anymore, they make disposable, one-off experiences now. You'll get 20-50hours out of the expansion, but then it'll be old, stale, and just won't have the staying factor of their previous games. Plus they'll have a wow expansion / last chunk of SC2 to sell you anyways.

http://youtu.be/IkQ5oARNxLU
 
This doesnt change anything, you'll be sure to find the same people buying crap on a black market. Make an self found only ladder? People will buy full accounts.


For some reason, people think that real money trading will stop in a game like this?

No, but my last months playing D3 were spent camping the AH window literally. I used to play a WD with increased pick up radius and gold find gear. All I did was run around like a vacuum cleaner for a few hours, and then camp the AH for 12, buying decent items and flipping them to buy upgrades. I even learned that selling crafting recipes on the RMAH was the way to go because I could net millions of gold with a $1 sale.

If I were to come back and play, it would only be in a self found league. And if someone sold another person a self found account I could care less as long as someone found it themselves. I could care less if person A, B, or C found it. As long as they're wearing what they found. If they were using a bot then there's nothing I can do about that. That's up to Blizzard to root those players out.

Right now I don't have intentions of coming back as there are so many really good games to play. Just my opinion. :)
 
I heard they are getting rid of the gold Ah as well...then why pick up gold anymore? To sell it to who and for what? Will in game vendors offer uber equipment now?
 
I heard they are getting rid of the gold Ah as well...then why pick up gold anymore? To sell it to who and for what? Will in game vendors offer uber equipment now?

They could actually make recipes cost gold currency and make it useful.
 
They could actually make recipes cost gold currency and make it useful.

Yeah I forgot about the bound on account equipment you can forge now...Not worth it to me as I'd rather kill monsters and find it vs crafting but to each their own. :)
 
You assume that players don't actually care about the method of killing the monsters, only that the monsters are killed and that loot is obtained. If you're one of those people that only has one character running whatever the FOTM build is, then that makes sense.

Some people build characters to kill monsters in different ways and the loot is a means to an end. For you, killing the monsters is the means to getting loot, which is not the same thing. So it is subjective: for some, the game is broken without the ability to trade, and for you the game is broken with the ability to trade (despite the fact that it is optional).

what im saying still applies to you though.

i guess what youre saying is you want trading in case you want to build a crit barb for a whirlwind build or something?

my point still stands, if you want to kill monsters different ways you still gotta kill monsters to get the loot to allow you to do that. still not subjective if you ask me.. and it still applies. any obtaining of items through a means other than killing monsters yourself is game breaking when a game is made for you to kill monsters. thats literally the only thing to do in the entire game kill monsters for loots.
 
what im saying still applies to you though.

i guess what youre saying is you want trading in case you want to build a crit barb for a whirlwind build or something?

my point still stands, if you want to kill monsters different ways you still gotta kill monsters to get the loot to allow you to do that. still not subjective if you ask me.. and it still applies. any obtaining of items through a means other than killing monsters yourself is game breaking when a game is made for you to kill monsters. thats literally the only thing to do in the entire game kill monsters for loots.

Again, you're assuming that I don't enjoy just smashing the monsters for the fun of it, or that I enjoy the game less the more items I have.

If I have a number of items that will let me make a powerful fire-focused build, but am missing a single key item, how is it game breaking if I trade for that item? Only RNG is keeping me from having the item, and I may have found an item of equal power that I don't plan to use so why not trade? Your goal may be to get more stuff, but mine may be to get the stuff that allows me to play more, but in a certain way.
 
Back
Top