Diablo 3 Discussion Thread

Who says 100k presales is bad?

http://www.vgchartz.com/preorders/41518/USA/

Based on this It seems pretty good....especially since the game has already been out on PC for over a year and presales are pointless given the existence of digital copies.

If I had to guess how many presales D3 would have on PS3 I would have guess 1 maybe 2 thousand. I fully expected a flop.

Who says 100k presales is bad?

http://www.vgchartz.com/preorders/41518/USA/

Based on this It seems pretty good....especially since the game has already been out on PC for over a year and presales are pointless given the existence of digital copies.

If I had to guess how many presales D3 would have on PS3 I would have guess 1 maybe 2 thousand. I fully expected a flop.

Actually looking at that chart and seeing how far down the chart D3 is, I feel sorry for Blizzard. They finally make a decent version of D3 and they have pathetic sales. Those numbers look decent but you have to realize that console manufacturers, brick n mortar stores, physical media manufacturing costs, etc take a much larger chunk out of each copy compared to the PC. Doesn't seem like that made very much off it.

Game sales like Prototype 2 numbers will get your studio shutdown by Activision. I'd like to see how D3 on consoles does over time though. I'd hate to see Bobby dismantle the D3 team.

I don't know how they did it, but some people have been able to get a huge amount of information from RoS via datamining. It's posted on Diablofans. (Early build version)

I glanced for a few seconds and was able to click away. But I have the feeling if even half of it would make its way into the game we would still have one amazing expansion.

EDIT: It seems it was intentional as the data on the PTR is meant for internal testing.

Last edited:
Some of these would be amazing

ItemPassive_Unique_Ring_500_x1 - Health Globes picked up release an explosion for 100% weapon damage to enemies within 40 yards.
ItemPassive_Unique_Ring_503_x1 - You absorb an attribute from the pack you are fighting.
ItemPassive_Unique_Ring_512_x1 - Enable all runes for a specific skill.
ItemPassive_Unique_Ring_515_x1 - Equip on Follower: Gain access to all skills
ItemPassive_Unique_Ring_520_x1 - Chance on hit to summon a herd of murderous cows.
ItemPassive_Unique_Ring_521_x1 - Shrine effects last until death.
ItemPassive_Unique_Ring_524_x1 - You turn into a treasure goblin or pony.
ItemPassive_Unique_Ring_537_x1 - Tempest Rush no longer costs Spirit to channel.
ItemPassive_Unique_Ring_542_x1 - Gain the base effect of all four Mantras at all times.

Some of these would be amazing

ItemPassive_Unique_Ring_500_x1 - Health Globes picked up release an explosion for 100% weapon damage to enemies within 40 yards.
ItemPassive_Unique_Ring_503_x1 - You absorb an attribute from the pack you are fighting.
ItemPassive_Unique_Ring_512_x1 - Enable all runes for a specific skill.
ItemPassive_Unique_Ring_515_x1 - Equip on Follower: Gain access to all skills
ItemPassive_Unique_Ring_520_x1 - Chance on hit to summon a herd of murderous cows.
ItemPassive_Unique_Ring_521_x1 - Shrine effects last until death.
ItemPassive_Unique_Ring_524_x1 - You turn into a treasure goblin or pony.
ItemPassive_Unique_Ring_537_x1 - Tempest Rush no longer costs Spirit to channel.
ItemPassive_Unique_Ring_542_x1 - Gain the base effect of all four Mantras at all times.

BRING BACK INVUL MINIONS!!! Nuff said....

BRING BACK INVUL MINIONS!!! Nuff said....

haha though technically I think that would only make your followers or team member invulnerable unless both people on the team had the ability.

Some of these would be pretty cool. But there are just so many ways to do cool things in this game it almost guarantee's what ever they do won't be as good as they could have done.

Invulnerable minions should never have been removed. They should just have slowed down the movement rate a little bit when the pack had that effect.

I'm more interested in the unique passive ring that grants all runes for a skill. I was trying to think about how that would work yesterday. Mind was blown.

Fist of Thunder + Thunderclap + 16% dodge + 15 spirit per crit hit + chain lightning.

Or

How about Way of Hundred Fists at 10 hits per attack + stackable (x3) attack speed and movement speed buff on crit + 100% increased holy damage over 5 seconds + 250% weapon damage "hadouken"

I'm more interested in the unique passive ring that grants all runes for a skill. I was trying to think about how that would work yesterday. Mind was blown.

Fist of Thunder + Thunderclap + 16% dodge + 15 spirit per crit hit + chain lightning.

Or

How about Way of Hundred Fists at 10 hits per attack + stackable (x3) attack speed and movement speed buff on crit + 100% increased holy damage over 5 seconds + 250% weapon damage "hadouken"

They are going to need to limit the multipliers or scale new mobs to incredible levels, otherwise it's an instawin button.

Invulnerable minions should never have been removed. They should just have slowed down the movement rate a little bit when the pack had that effect.

I think it should have been a stand-alone affix, instead of just casually tossing it in with Fast + Molten + Teleport or whatever other insane combinations you'd get. But that's nothing new.

Some of these early alpha build potentials would be awesome:

- ItemPassive_Unique_Ring_517_x1 - Elemental Arrow now generates 3 Hatred.
- ItemPassive_Unique_Ring_518_x1 - Vault now costs 8 Hatred instead of Discipline.
- ItemPassive_Unique_Ring_519_x1 - Prevent 100% of Arcane damage taken and heal yourself for the amount prevented.
- ItemPassive_Unique_Ring_520_x1 - Chance on hit to summon a herd of murderous cows.
- ItemPassive_Unique_Boots_020_x1 - Deal 20% additional damage after remaining stationary for 3 seconds.
- ItemPassive_Unique_Ring_573_x1 - Reduces duration of control impairing effects by 75%.
- ItemPassive_Unique_Amulet_105_x1 - After earning a massacre bonus, summon forth 5-10 skeletal guardians for 45 seconds.
- ItemPassive_Unique_Bracer_105_x1 - Chance on being hit to deal 1000% of your Thorns damage to nearby enemies.
- ItemPassive_Unique_Ring_540_x1 - Increase Exploding Palm's on-death explosion damage to 100% of the enemy's maximum Life.
- ItemPassive_Unique_Dagger_103_x1 - Chance on hit to poison your enemy if they have a higher health percent than you, causing them to take 20% increased damage for 5 seconds.
- ItemPassive_Unique_Ring_526_x1 - Pets deal 100% more damage.
- ItemPassive_Unique_Ring_543_x1 - Mystic Ally mirrors your attacks.
- ItemPassive_Unique_Ring_025_x1 - Each time you pick up gold, increase your Gold and Health Pickup radius by 1 yard for 10 seconds, stacking up to 30 times.

Lots of cool stuff even if they don't stick with these specific ideas. I think a lot of them will actually make it in, although some of the more extreme ones will either be tempered (like "activate all runes for a particular skill at once") or have some sort of off-setting downside. Should be fun to see what else gets discovered between now and then. :)

Those look awesome. It'd be cool if the Mystic Ally could drop a bell when you did, even if it's at 40% of the original. And as someone who loves playing DH, element arrow being a hatred generator would be sweet.

Those look awesome. It'd be cool if the Mystic Ally could drop a bell when you did, even if it's at 40% of the original. And as someone who loves playing DH, element arrow being a hatred generator would be sweet.

So is Strafe not costing anything to use. My alt is a Strafe DH.

I just move my monk gear on my DH and have at at. 290k unbuffed is fun times just Strafe-ing using the dagger rune.

So it looks like Whirlwind/perma WOTB is gone assuming it makes it to live, was interested but not so much...I don't like sitting there bashing single mobs

Killing some time on my DH (On Hardcore), figured I'd craft some gloves, very first ones I craft (always happens like this for me)...Jack pot!

KQElUPZ.png

I quickly scrolled through some of the upcoming changes. Those are some massive overhauls to the game, even for a lot of things that dont require the expansion. It seems like there will be so much to do and so many ways to gain power levels and show off your skill and power.

I quickly scrolled through some of the upcoming changes. Those are some massive overhauls to the game, even for a lot of things that dont require the expansion. It seems like there will be so much to do and so many ways to gain power levels and show off your skill and power.

Yea I'm looking forward to getting back in once the changes hit. Should be sweet.

You ever fight a Soul Lasher or Phase Beast pack with Invul Minion affix as a DH?

That was an instant quit and restart.

Wow, today's post over at Diablofans is showing the potential skill changes/tweaks for each class!

Oh, and I just noticed this:
Whirlwind Cost: 10 Fury / Deliver multiple attacks to everything in your path for 145% weapon damage. / While whirlwinding, you move at 66% movement speed.

Volcanic Eruption : Turns Whirlwind into a torrent of magma that deals 189% weapon damage as Fire.
Dust Devils : Generate harsh tornadoes that deal 40% weapon damage to enemies in their path.
Hurricane : Pull enemies from up to 45 yards away towards you while Whirlwinding.

Looks like they're looking to revamp the Hurricane rune, which is probably being used by 95% of Barb characters currently. Should make for entertainment later on.

Just read through the DH changes. This seems like a pretty cool idea....

Shadow Wall Shadow Wall
desc : Cooldown: 10 seconds / Summon a wall impassable by enemies between two pillars for 6 seconds. Enemies near the pillars are Slowed by 60%

Have to read through the rest later but I like what I'm seeing

Oh, and I just noticed this:

Looks like they're looking to revamp the Hurricane rune, which is probably being used by 95% of Barb characters currently. Should make for entertainment later on.

Wow so they're finally getting around to fixing up useless runes?

Well D2 didn't get ladders until 1.10 which was like 2003.

while you would assume D3 would start with ladders it seems they really are just following the D2 formula pretty closely.

Pretty intereting looking back at the patch history of D2.
http://diablo.wikia.com/wiki/Diablo_II_version_history

I disagree and don't think they are actually following the D2 formula. For game mechanics, D3 is way too different from D2. When it comes to features, why didn't they have ladders and PvP in the first place- the game was in development for a very very long time and it seems they put out an unfinished game. It is nice though that they still are adding in more features with patches\expansion packs.

I disagree and don't think they are actually following the D2 formula. For game mechanics, D3 is way too different from D2. When it comes to features, why didn't they have ladders and PvP in the first place- the game was in development for a very very long time and it seems they put out an unfinished game. It is nice though that they still are adding in more features with patches\expansion packs.

I think you missed my point.

D2 didn't have ladders at launch and they were implemented after the expansion pack.
D3 doesn't have ladders and will likely be implemented after the expansion pack.

For D2 they released a vanilla game and then expanded on it.
For D3 they released a vanilla game and are expanding on it.

In terms of release cycle its pretty similar to how it was with D2 thus following the same formula. Biggest difference is D2 was a better game.

In terms of the proposed changed that is a HUGE overhaul of the skills. Seems to be a good one.

They are making Conflagration make all enemies hit by fire have a 5% change to get crit'ed. While changing Chain reaction to fire damage. CM wizard just got even better for team play giving everyone 5% more crit.

Last edited:

D2 didn't have ladders at launch and they were implemented after the expansion pack.
D3 doesn't have ladders and will likely be implemented after the expansion pack.

For D2 they released a vanilla game and then expanded on it.
For D3 they released a vanilla game and are expanding on it.

In terms of release cycle its pretty similar to how it was with D2 thus following the same formula. Biggest difference is D2 was a better game.

In terms of the proposed changed that is a HUGE overhaul of the skills. Seems to be a good one.

They are making Conflagration make all enemies hit by fire have a 5% change to get crit'ed. While changing Chain reaction to fire damage. CM wizard just got even better for team play giving everyone 5% more crit.

I agree that the D3 post-release seems to be repeating how D2 developed post-release. The big difference here, of course, is that they're cleaning up the hubris of Wilson & Co. by essentially doing what they should have in the first place: taking the good elements of D2 and building on them.

I was browsing the Wizard section of skill tweaks and was pleased to see the changes to Spectral Blades: I'll be using those Fire Blades for sure. Galvanizing Ward looks interesting, applying a Crystal Shell like effect each time you aren't struck for 5 seconds, and Illusionist grants all 3 effects a 30% movement speed boost which is awesome.

Other Wizard notables: Black Hole, Pulsar, FROZEN ORB, Spark, Scorch, Indigo, Storm Chaser, Power Hungry.

Diablo 2 had the ladder system since the launch of the base game. In fact I don't think anything changed about it in LoD. I don't remember them doing a ladder wipe until after LoD though.

No they didn't. The Ladder was introduced in patch 1.10 in 2003 3 years after release.

You are misreading the patch notes.

◾Introduced a new Ladder System for those who prefer to play free from any characters who may have participated in past item duping or hacking. To use this new feature, a player places a check in the Ladder box upon character creation - in the same way that Expansion and Hardcore selection is done. Periodically, the Ladder may be reset, adding the old Ladder characters to the regular population - who, of course, cannot play games with the new season's Ladder characters. Thus, every season each new Ladder character truly starts from scratch, as no 'twinking' is possible from older characters.

The key word is new because there was already a ladder since the launch of the game. It wasn't based on seasons or had any sort of resets until 1.10, from what I remember. You also didn't have to opt-in, as every character on Closed B.Net was part of it at the time.

A Ladder Character is a special character type that is allowed to compete on the ladder. These characters are separate from Normal Characters with their own games and economy.

All characters created before 1.10 are considered normal characters. Characters created before 1.10 do not have the option of being ladder characters. You must create a new character after patch 1.10 is released, and mark it as a ladder character to create a ladder character.

I do not remember the ladder being in the game at release. I may be wrong but I remember it being released quite a ways after release.

Season 1: October 28, 2003 - July 8, 2004
Season 2: July 8, 2004 - August 8, 2005
Season 3: August 8, 2005 - June 25, 2007
Season 4: June 25, 2007 - June 17, 2008
Season 5: June 17, 2008 -

The more and more I look the more and more it shows the Ladder was started at Patch 1.10 in 2003 3 years after release.

I do not remember the ladder being in the game at release. I may be wrong but I remember it being released quite a ways after release.

The more and more I look the more and more it shows the Ladder was started at Patch 1.10 in 2003 3 years after release.

It was there on release but 1.10 started the resets, which is why I said I didn't think there were any resets prior to that patch, except of course a fresh start on the LoD Ladder when the expansion was released.

It is hard to find sources online talking about the ladder prior to 1.10 but this is what I've got so far:

http://www.lastlvl.com/wiki/diablo_2_general_knowledge/ladder_reset_history_and_facts/
Says the first reset of the ladder didn't happen for 3 years.

http://games.slashdot.org/story/00/06/29/2241238/diablo-2-finally-hits-shelves
Read the comment named "NAT/Firewall info use - Port 4000 (Score:2)" in which the author says "Negative, is our characters don't show up on the ladder, but it was nice quality time with my brothers. . " and that was posted on June 30, 2000 at 5:01 A.M.

And another thing I remember was a few weeks after release, the USEast #1 was auctioned on eBay, bidding ended upwards of $800, and I slowly remember the character falling down the charts until a week or two later and never appeared on the ladder again. I suspected Blizzard banned the account because it was sold on eBay but who knows.

But really either way it is nice that there will be some sort of ladder season with the Diablo 3 expansion.

Back