Diablo 3 Discussion Thread

Everytime I play diablo 3 I can't stay on it for long, feel like heres no appeal for this game as you get to end game and want to go higher its technically the same crap again and again

at what point did you quit? I've been cruising through nightmare and beat normal at lvl 29. First big pack I ran into with a rough combo of powers 1 shot me I doubt I'll spend much time in inferno but I'll play my way through hell on at least 2 characters I'm sure. I plan on progressing and each time I feel like its time for major armor upgrades send those down to the next character and play that for a while. Obviously some of the chars will require different types of armors its still a good way to tell me when its time to switch to a different character.

Using Demon Hunter as the first character. Luckily the wizard and witch dr can share some items nicely.

So I just read a little about it... You can pause the game when you are playing solo? Really? Didn't know about that lol. It's really no different than Save and Exit, and it's not going to save you every time. If you were going to die, it's probably going to be a near insta type death before you had a chance to even think to do anything. .

Have you ever actually seen him do it? I don't really care if he did this or not though. I say props to him for figuring out a way to stay alive.

I don't think I'd call it trivial. I think there would be a lot more people past Act 1 Inferno if it were truly trivial. There aren't champs/elites along the quest paths? And before you say it, you never reset D2 games so you could avoid cold/fire/phsycial immune mobs? That's part of the game

No, I don't think it's trivial in hardcore. But you said Inferno is "fine" because HC characters are progressing - that would be off the mark, because progression was never the issue and base game design needs to be re-worked for it to be simultaneously "fun" and "challenging" as well as worthwhile to "farm".

I don't watch his stream, it's just what others tell me from watching him. So no, I haven't seen him do it personally. But he is a Barb who stacks a ton of defensive stats so the instant deaths really isn't an issue (I have a Barb with similar defensive stats and there really isn't anything that would instant kill me unless I played it poorly to begin with).

As a wizard, I ran with a barb and DH through normal, so we traded gear a lot. In nightmare it was mostly me and the barb, by Hell I was soloing. I'm sure many people will not get many upgrades up to inferno, but thats what the AH is for. Before 50, you can spend as little as 10k a pop for good upgrades, Between 55-59, you can find good upgrades for under 25k. I spent less than a million on inferno gear when I decided to start Act 2.

If you cant find good upgrades for 10-25k a pop before 60, then you shouldnt need to \upgrade.

I'm doing exactly what you're saying as far as buying gear off the AH. I played solo until the last 3 days so I didn't have a trading partner. And I understand that the AH is the most important aspect of the game. I personally feel that making the AH and the RMAH the focus of the game detracts from the game as none of the mobs or Diablo himself matter in the game. It's all about how fast can you identify the cheap item that has great stats on the AH before someone else buys it out.

And for me that makes the game boring as hell; pun intended.

I'm doing exactly what you're saying as far as buying gear off the AH. I played solo until the last 3 days so I didn't have a trading partner. And I understand that the AH is the most important aspect of the game. I personally feel that making the AH and the RMAH the focus of the game detracts from the game as none of the mobs or Diablo himself matter in the game. It's all about how fast can you identify the cheap item that has great stats on the AH before someone else buys it out.

And for me that makes the game boring as hell; pun intended.

None of the mobs have ever mattered in Diablo. It's all about killing hte same things over and over and over and over until you get a piece of good loot that you trade for another piece of good loot.

The AH just makes it easier.

No, I don't think it's trivial in hardcore. But you said Inferno is "fine" because HC characters are progressing - that would be off the mark, because progression was never the issue and base game design needs to be re-worked for it to be simultaneously "fun" and "challenging" as well as worthwhile to "farm".

I don't watch his stream, it's just what others tell me from watching him. So no, I haven't seen him do it personally. But he is a Barb who stacks a ton of defensive stats so the instant deaths really isn't an issue (I have a Barb with similar defensive stats and there really isn't anything that would instant kill me unless I played it poorly to begin with).

Agreed 100%. Remove the specter of instant death and instead of put players into a situation where they can fight their way out with the loom of death if they mess up is much more fun, skillful, and challenging.

So if there is nothing that can insta kill you, what's the problem with Inferno? I'm only in Act 1 and haven't progressed hardly at all, so forgive my ignorance.

If you survie, kill stuff, and progress, what's the problem?

None of the mobs have ever mattered in Diablo. It's all about killing hte same things over and over and over and over until you get a piece of good loot that you trade for another piece of good loot.

The AH just makes it easier.

For me when I see a cool boss I get the "mega loot" glint in my eyes personally. In this game I just wonder why is this guy here breaking up my kiting sessions. They don't matter at all. They could have inserted a random elite in their place and held my attention just as much. In Path of Exile which is a direct rip of D2, the bosses drop better loot quality and tons of it. 90% of it is garbage for your class but it's all nice so you're happy to get the +1 more stats item than what you were wearing. In D3 I get 2 blues to disenchant and some gems I need to pay tons of gold to make into a decent gem.

Big difference in perception of what is fun. It is what it is though.

They need to have some base level of gear for each level of difficulty. They should put it in as non-tradeable and make at least 1 piece drop per boss kill of the previous difficulty. The RNG is just to dam random and I think biased against the class actually playing. As a wiz I have gotten 1 wand in 4 days of farming Act 4 inferno that even had 600+ dps. I've gotten at least 35 axes/maces/2Hstaffs with strength and/or dex.

For me when I see a cool boss I get the "mega loot" glint in my eyes personally. In this game I just wonder why is this guy here breaking up my kiting sessions. They don't matter at all. They could have inserted a random elite in their place and held my attention just as much. In Path of Exile which is a direct rip of D2, the bosses drop better loot quality and tons of it. 90% of it is garbage for your class but it's all nice so you're happy to get the +1 more stats item than what you were wearing. In D3 I get 2 blues to disenchant and some gems I need to pay tons of gold to make into a decent gem.

I suppose there is a reason the main bosses are easier. If they dropped better loot, they'd have to make them harder. Even more people would cry that they couldn't finish the game.

I don't disagree with loot coming from boss mobs though. How much MF are you wearing for boss kills?

They need to have some base level of gear for each level of difficulty. They should put it in as non-tradeable and make at least 1 piece drop per boss kill of the previous difficulty. The RNG is just to dam random and I think biased against the class actually playing. As a wiz I have gotten 1 wand in 4 days of farming Act 4 inferno that even had 600+ dps. I've gotten at least 35 axes/maces/2Hstaffs with strength and/or dex.

That's just the way it works though. You might NEVER find one. Someone else will though, and you trade with them.

That's how it worked in D2 as well. It's just that everyone hacked and botted so it seemed like all the good stuff was common.

my favorite is kiting around a 3-mob elite with fire chains, teleporter and waller, only to rub up against another set of 3-mob elites with molten, jailer and fire chains. that sucked!

So if there is nothing that can insta kill you, what's the problem with Inferno? I'm only in Act 1 and haven't progressed hardly at all, so forgive my ignorance.

Don't take this the wrong way. Playing a game and having to hit pause to avoid death cheapens the experience and illustrates what is wrong with the game. I know some people bought game Sharks back in the day to do just that so there is a market for it I suppose. But I just took my lumps and learned how to out think the developer. Blizzard just sped up the mobs and made them do silly one shot maneuvers to make the game challenging. Pausing the game to avoid it is "cheesy" in my book no matter how far he gets. He needs an asterisk besides his name if he finishes the game on Hardcore or King of the Pause Button achievement.

Don't take this the wrong way. Playing a game and having to hit pause to avoid death cheapens the experience and illustrates what is wrong with the game. I know some people bought game Sharks back in the day to do just that so there is a market for it I suppose. But I just took my lumps and learned how to out think the developer. Blizzard just sped up the mobs and made them do silly one shot maneuvers to make the game challenging. Pausing the game to avoid it is "cheesy" in my book no matter how far he gets. He needs an asterisk besides his name if he finishes the game on Hardcore or King of the Pause Button achievement.

I don't disagree with you and I'm sure it'll get fixed. And if you can do it with pause, you can do it without pause. It might take more attempts though.

But why did you quote that post lol

I'm going to play the hell out of the game for my 30 days and take my refund! While I like the game the servers just aren't good enough. I finally had a few hour stretch I could sit down and play... of course servers are down for yet another patch. I guess I'll work on my homework.

I plan on coming back to the game again in the future but hopefully I'll get it at $40 (like many pre-orders did) instead of $60 that the digital download cost.

Do you realize that is worse than piracy? Buyng a product and continuing to use it with intent on returning it for a full refund may not land you in jail or even a fine, but that is clear cut ethically wrong.

You're going to college so you can make more money, right? Could you imagine your own business or where you work dealing with customers like this left and right? Where people try to weasel their way out of money they should be paying, which ultimately leads to limiting you on how much money you make or your bonus or your raise. I'm sure no one wants that

This isn't about just blizzard, this is consumer ethics. I hate MW ever since 2 killed the pc version. Even then I didn't pirate it, nor would I ever tell anyone to play it and complain for a refund at the end.

The bosses between end of normal -> level 60 are lame, but once you hit 60 you get the valor buff. If you have 5 stacks you are guaranteed at least 2 rares from boss kills(at least I have always gotten at least 2). So it makes you play down through the level a little to make sure you get 5 stacks then kill the boss instead of just doing a quick boss run.

I suppose there is a reason the main bosses are easier. If they dropped better loot, they'd have to make them harder. Even more people would cry that they couldn't finish the game.

I don't disagree with loot coming from boss mobs though. How much MF are you wearing for boss kills?

Being as I have 14k hp in Hell Act III not much. I get tons of gold drops; just zero for myself. I just think my latency is too bad for the loot to get processed for me or something. I play with some of the guys on the forums and when we team up here is something odd.

When they play solo they get very few drops. They complain as much as I do; but as reluctant to say anything in this thread about it as they don't like confrontation. If I join any of their games they immediately get a rare every elite pack darn near. Pots drop rares for them. Nearly all drops are level 55+ and they are level 51 - 52. I still get level 40 - 44 rares at the same pathetic rate.

If I leave and get replaced by one of their friends they rarely get drops. Maybe slightly better than if they played solo. This is another reason I think my account is bugged. I ran with my Barbarian buddy through Act III to Cadea and he got tons of rares and a couple legendary items. I got all blues except for some shoulders that he could use. He got mostly Demon hunter gear.

But I don't run magic find as I used to stack it to death and got bad results and low dps to boot. Made no difference at all for me. YMMV.

I honestly think my account is bugged as Hell Act III up to Cadea boss drops level 40 - 44 rares for every other class than me. If what you're saying is true that you're able to find gear in the game and I haven't seen an item since Skeleton King Normal then my account is screwed up. Now the blues in Hell III are level 50 but who wants to wear 20 dexterity and 100 strength gear for a Demon Hunter?

I got to level 59 1/2 before I "quit". Nephew bought the game tonight so I guess I will reroll a wizard as I have rares for all the other classes all the way to 55. All my other character slots are mules and I actually disenchanted all of them one day and have since refilled them again. Everything was a rare.

I doubt there's anything wrong with your account. Other than gold find and magic find, drops have nothing to do with your character. Your level has no impact on drops. It's entirely based on the level of the creature.

Being as I have 14k hp in Hell Act III not much. I get tons of gold drops; just zero for myself. I just think my latency is too bad for the loot to get processed for me or something. I play with some of the guys on the forums and when we team up here is something odd.

When they play solo they get very few drops. They complain as much as I do; but as reluctant to say anything in this thread about it as they don't like confrontation. If I join any of their games they immediately get a rare every elite pack darn near. Pots drop rares for them. Nearly all drops are level 55+ and they are level 51 - 52. I still get level 40 - 44 rares at the same pathetic rate.

If I leave and get replaced by one of their friends they rarely get drops. Maybe slightly better than if they played solo. This is another reason I think my account is bugged. I ran with my Barbarian buddy through Act III to Cadea and he got tons of rares and a couple legendary items. I got all blues except for some shoulders that he could use. He got mostly Demon hunter gear.

But I don't run magic find as I used to stack it to death and got bad results and low dps to boot. Made no difference at all for me. YMMV.

If that really is true, then you might be onto something. But all of your evidence at this point sounds anecdotal.

I don't disagree with you and I'm sure it'll get fixed. And if you can do it with pause, you can do it without pause. It might take more attempts though.

But why did you quote that post lol

Ha ha playing devil's advocate for a bit. :) Pun intended!

Not sure if mentioned or linked yet, but some details on the new 1.0.3 patch

D3 1.0.3 patch details

Neat, so Butcher runs will give me a chance to find something nice. I was thinking of attempting Siegebreaker runs at some point, but something like this seems much better. I actually don't mind doing a relaxing full Act I run (not just Butcher runs) with MF gear on.

edit: I also like the change with nephalem valor. I found myself starting midway through act 1 and going to the Butcher rather than just starting from the last quest for a steady flow of income and making things less monotonous. It's great to see that elite packs will guarantee 1 rare with a full stack.

Last edited:
I doubt there's anything wrong with your account. Other than gold find and magic find, drops have nothing to do with your character. Your level has no impact on drops. It's entirely based on the level of the creature.

When I team up with my lower level buddies in Hell Act II they get up to level 55+ rares and I get level 40 - 44 rares. They get at least a rare every elite pack. They are honestly disappointed if they don't. I get a blue and maybe a rare here and there. My main teammate is a Monk so it's not likely that I will get an upgrade off him. :)

I got a level 38 rare off the guards leading to Hell Belial. That was the last straw and I quit the game.

Not sure if mentioned or linked yet, but some details on the new 1.0.3 patch

D3 1.0.3 patch details

For once I really don't disagree with a slight overall difficulty nerf, since it's being balanced out with other factors (4x repair costs!).

And about the IAS nerf, all those people that spent millions buying legendaries for that stat alone are going to be mad as fuck.

But hey, I'm happy. It really does look like Blizzard is listening. Those are all pretty good changes.

I don't think you're paying attention to what I'm saying necessarily. Clearly if I didn't want to die, I wouldn't as a defensively stacked Barbarian. But there are of course mobs and scenarios that would wreck you regardless simply because of mechanics (standing in molten / desecrate for example).

This is also on a Barbarian who has plenty of defensive stats / passives / skills that make it possible. This is not an extension to every class. This also requires a ton of gear to begin with. There's a reason these HC guys roll Barb / Monk in Inferno you know. The going might be slow, but at least your going doesn't get stopped by getting randomly 1 shot. Blizzard has already expressed their concern about inferno being too 'spikey'.

The issue with Inferno is the nature of the design. I've already expressed it multiple times in this thread, but I'll spell it out again:

The root of the issue is the death mechanic. It's cheaper to die and repair than it is to use a pot. Dying does not stop progression. It's hard to explain to a HC player how SC players are getting through Inferno, but let me just paraphrase it: You will see the death screen. A lot. Now, this isn't an issue in HC and clearly the HC progression curve was honestly what I think Blizzard envisioned inferno to be (a month after release, people are slowly progressing through Inferno after farming for gear). Fact of the matter is, progression is TRIVIAL in SC due to the death mechanic. It does not stop you from progressing, period. The only hard stops would be quest / act bosses where you can't just res at a checkpoint. To that end, these bosses are relatively easy compared to elite / champion packs so again, progression becomes trivialized.

So to "gate" progression, HC chars clearly have to take things slow and ensure that they don't just die to something stupid. Hence, the HC progression curve is actually on par with what Blizzard envisioned. In SC, there is no such thing. To "gate" progression, they thought that if someone died repeatedly, they wouldn't be able to progress and would fall back to farming stuff that they are capable of killing without dying in order to progress. So their gameplay design was to make things overwhelmingly strong and start 1 shotting people. This was a huge mistake on their part. This is not stopping people in SC.

What they need to do to redesign Inferno:

- Make quest / act bosses the real progression / gear checks. They're simply too easy. I should not have been able to beat Diablo with the gear I had.
- Normal (white) mobs should not be frustrating to fight! End of freaking story. I don't enjoy working on my character just to get 1 shot by a fallen in Act 3.
- Certain Elite/Champion Affixes need to be looked at (invuln minion etc.).

There are deeper core gameplay philosophies they need to revisit :

- The purpose of Nephalem Valor was to encourage diverse champion/elite farming rather than repeatedly farming the same thing over and over. This is utter BS and is not working. People are repeatedly farming the same thing over and over with NV anyway.
- Death. What should happen when a player dies? I personally think death should be punished more heavily, but make it less easy to die. Period.

new patch looks nice, i did stop playing for like a week, kinda stuck in act 3 hell with my lvl 59 wiz, was going to wait for real money AH to open up

Do you realize that is worse than piracy? Buyng a product and continuing to use it with intent on returning it for a full refund may not land you in jail or even a fine, but that is clear cut ethically wrong.

You're going to college so you can make more money, right? Could you imagine your own business or where you work dealing with customers like this left and right? Where people try to weasel their way out of money they should be paying, which ultimately leads to limiting you on how much money you make or your bonus or your raise. I'm sure no one wants that

This isn't about just blizzard, this is consumer ethics. I hate MW ever since 2 killed the pc version. Even then I didn't pirate it, nor would I ever tell anyone to play it and complain for a refund at the end.

ethically wrong? How about charging $60 for a game then I can't even play it all morning or during prime hours the game is unplayable from rubber banding all over the place. I'll just take my money back for now and when they actually fix things they'll get my money again. I play primarily solo or with a friend that lives within range of my wifi... If they had a local mode I'd use it.

After waiting more than a decade for this game I dont mind waiting longer but they should have done a longer beta test because the current state of the game just isn't good enough. They offer the 30 day money back guarantee for anybody not satisfied with the state of the game and while I think it will BECOME a great game its just not there yet.

Any experienced people feel like starting a new char and want to powerlevel eachother in nightmare?

ethically wrong? How about charging $60 for a game then I can't even play it all morning or during prime hours the game is unplayable from rubber banding all over the place. I'll just take my money back for now and when they actually fix things they'll get my money again. I play primarily solo or with a friend that lives within range of my wifi... If they had a local mode I'd use it.

After waiting more than a decade for this game I dont mind waiting longer but they should have done a longer beta test because the current state of the game just isn't good enough. They offer the 30 day money back guarantee for anybody not satisfied with the state of the game and while I think it will BECOME a great game its just not there yet.
So why waste the time/energy/$ in returning it? Why not just sit on it until it reaches a state in which you feel satisfied that your sense of entitlement has been met?

So why waste the time/energy/$ in returning it? Why not just sit on it until it reaches a state in which you feel satisfied that your sense of entitlement has been met?

time/energy/$$? really its a quick support ticket wastes like 2 minutes and you get $60 back

Why not sit on it? because I can get $60 back...

Why not use it if they're offering it?

Oddly enough, I'm considering picking up D3 while waiting for Torchlight 2. Decisions.......

That's what I did. No regrets. It's fun as it is. Some people don't like it, but I enjoy it. And seeing as TL2 is without release (summer...) I don't mind hacking and slashing my way through Diablo 3 for now!

Last edited:
AWESOME PATCH!

Seriously. What a great patch. I can farm either Act 3 and 4 of Hell or Act I inferno. It makes perfect sense.

Can't wait. There will be a reason to do all of hell now instead of blowing through and going to Inferno to do goblins =P

There will be a reason to get a legit of MF gear you can actually kill stuff in now too.

I think this should satisfy even the most rabid haters out there.

I don't think you're paying attention to what I'm saying necessarily. Clearly if I didn't want to die, I wouldn't as a defensively stacked Barbarian. But there are of course mobs and scenarios that would wreck you regardless simply because of mechanics (standing in molten / desecrate for example).

This is also on a Barbarian who has plenty of defensive stats / passives / skills that make it possible. This is not an extension to every class. This also requires a ton of gear to begin with. There's a reason these HC guys roll Barb / Monk in Inferno you know. The going might be slow, but at least your going doesn't get stopped by getting randomly 1 shot. Blizzard has already expressed their concern about inferno being too 'spikey'.

The issue with Inferno is the nature of the design. I've already expressed it multiple times in this thread, but I'll spell it out again:

The root of the issue is the death mechanic. It's cheaper to die and repair than it is to use a pot. Dying does not stop progression. It's hard to explain to a HC player how SC players are getting through Inferno, but let me just paraphrase it: You will see the death screen. A lot. Now, this isn't an issue in HC and clearly the HC progression curve was honestly what I think Blizzard envisioned inferno to be (a month after release, people are slowly progressing through Inferno after farming for gear). Fact of the matter is, progression is TRIVIAL in SC due to the death mechanic. It does not stop you from progressing, period. The only hard stops would be quest / act bosses where you can't just res at a checkpoint. To that end, these bosses are relatively easy compared to elite / champion packs so again, progression becomes trivialized.

So to "gate" progression, HC chars clearly have to take things slow and ensure that they don't just die to something stupid. Hence, the HC progression curve is actually on par with what Blizzard envisioned. In SC, there is no such thing. To "gate" progression, they thought that if someone died repeatedly, they wouldn't be able to progress and would fall back to farming stuff that they are capable of killing without dying in order to progress. So their gameplay design was to make things overwhelmingly strong and start 1 shotting people. This was a huge mistake on their part. This is not stopping people in SC.

What they need to do to redesign Inferno:

- Make quest / act bosses the real progression / gear checks. They're simply too easy. I should not have been able to beat Diablo with the gear I had.
- Normal (white) mobs should not be frustrating to fight! End of freaking story. I don't enjoy working on my character just to get 1 shot by a fallen in Act 3.
- Certain Elite/Champion Affixes need to be looked at (invuln minion etc.).

There are deeper core gameplay philosophies they need to revisit :

- The purpose of Nephalem Valor was to encourage diverse champion/elite farming rather than repeatedly farming the same thing over and over. This is utter BS and is not working. People are repeatedly farming the same thing over and over with NV anyway.
- Death. What should happen when a player dies? I personally think death should be punished more heavily, but make it less easy to die. Period.

You clearly know what you're talking about because they are making changes that address just about every one of those issues =O

beaten finally the game on normal.... it seems, that IMO, Blizz didn't learn from D1 or D2 if the fight with bosses is concerned. Once you get proper DPS - I had about 568 on my DH and about 2,3k health, beating Diablo was easier then getting to him - that first boss in heaven that spawns infinite number of add was pain to kill.

But, there was nothing special or epic about fight with Diablo.... I was just running in circles, shooting entangling arrows, and when my hatred was full, was using stream of arrows glyphed for rockets. Same was in D1 or D2, I didn't even realize I was killin Diablo until I suddenly saw game ending :) Here is the same.

There is IMO wasted potential with fight - stage 2 in realm of terror could be more then killin 3 or 4 clones and kiting diablo again.

I expected something more "wow";)

Oh, and if you wondered if there is a hidden cutscene behind credits,t hat would give a hint of DLC /D4, don't worry - there is none :p

Anyone having patch issues? Its the same issue as last big patch, its just starts, says theres a patch then crashes, rinse and repeat......

How to fix? <----- :)

Tried editing the agent.db file which is what fixed it last time, but that no worky now as its already edited.

My own concept of Inferno : All characters decently geared should not be one-shot at all but the monsters is harder to kill (not necessarily higher HP but also increased regen or some invulnerability to some elements so it take a lot of strategy to kill them instead of just being either one-shot at all or hammering endlessly). I hope they will work toward this.

As for increasing repair costs after death, I'm not necessarily in favor. I would rather increase the timer if you die soon after being ressurected till it's too long to bother chain-rezzing. Death should be a real show-stopper, not a slight annoyance.

As a hardcore player, I can't help but chuckle at the softcore players complaining about the increase in death repair costs.

As for increasing repair costs after death, I'm not necessarily in favor. I would rather increase the timer if you die soon after being ressurected till it's too long to bother chain-rezzing. Death should be a real show-stopper, not a slight annoyance.

I don't necessarily like the increased repair either. I think the debuff for less combat efficiency is better. It's a real show stopper and properly stops chain ressing or graveyard zerging (people with money won't care about the repair cost anyway) and a debuff is very common in a lot of games as a death penalty.

I was playing with a friend who was a few levels higher and he got drops that I could use.
He plays a barb and I a dh.

And what is buffed and unbuffed mean? I have a pic of my specs on the previous page.

Back