Development Thread for ATI overclocking tool - v0.0.19 out

well the tool works fine for me...i'd say = 5mhz what i find with rthdribl.

I think all the people where 'it goes down instead of up' maybe already overclocked their card way too high....but they never checked it with a demanding app like rthdribl or atitool...that's why the slider goes down.

I wouldnt be surprised a bit if the 'slider goues down' for some people who claim they can run a 9800NP at 460 core with the stock hsf etc....its just the cruel reality :)

(I might be wrong...but it could of course also be a bug of the prog...who knows...)

Hmmm. Cant seem to get the hotkey to work. Havent read through all pages though so if there is some kind of fix i might have missed it. Im using one of those multimedia type keyboards with lots of extra buttons and stuff if that might add to the problem?

flexy123: I haven't O/C my card yet. I'm going to let in run for a while and see what happens. What's intresting is, when I did O/C my card, I could get up to 345/345.

Do you have the latest Cats and DirectX installed? Also, have you flashed the BIOS of it?

Originally posted by Nadir
Hmmm. Cant seem to get the hotkey to work. Havent read through all pages though so if there is some kind of fix i might have missed it. Im using one of those multimedia type keyboards with lots of extra buttons and stuff if that might add to the problem?

does the pressed hotkey properly show up in the set hotkey dialog?

I'm glad that sdk and W1zzard are working on it.

I don't have my 9800XT with me in this moment, but I hope you guys can fix this bug.

Good Luck :D

W1zzard, again your ATiTool Rulez :D

Keep up the good work!

got a new problem for you w1zzard, i'm using version 14 which was working fine before but is not now and im not sure what ive done to cause it. Im running win xp with sp1 and systems in sig. problems as follows

try to start the program

error

startservice2: the system cannot find the file specified

click ok

atitool

service not started
current state: 1
exit code: 0
service specific exit code: 0
check point: 0
wait hint: 0

click ok

atitool

could not connect to atitool.sys
try to fix it?

click no and the clock speeds are not detected and none of the overclocking features work
click yes and speeds are detected fine but when trying to find max core/memory there are loads of dots (core artifacts) regardless of what the core speed is (stock/over/underclocked). i know this is an error with the program as my gpu core is artifact free at 440+

this is what it looks like

fr33ze-atitool.JPG

the error messages only come up the first time after doing a registry clean after that the program loads normally but still with crazy artifacting problem. If i do another registry clean and delete the files then unzip again and the errors are repeatable.

if you need any more info let me know

by the way no errors appear when using the 3d view until the clocks are set to about 445 for the core

Originally posted by AmpCoder
Do you have the latest Cats and DirectX installed? Also, have you flashed the BIOS of it?

have 9.0b and 3.10s

flashed bios?

looks like a killer program! my 9800 pro has stock cooling. before running this program should i get some extra cooling for it? i know o/c'ing will make it run hotter, i just don't want to damage my card. can the stock cooling hang with the higher speeds this program will produce? i'm on a seriously low budget (after gettin the 9800!) so if i don't need extra cooling that would be great. thank you!

and i apologize if this question has been asked before. prolly many times! search function is non-functional. doh!

Originally posted by fr33ze
got a new problem for you w1zzard, i'm using version 14 which was working fine before but is not now and im not sure what ive done to cause it. Im running win xp with sp1 and systems in sig. problems as follows

I have talked to W1zzard about this problem, and we have figured out that when you unzip it you have to unzip all the files in the zip file, or else you will get that error. Also make sure your drivers are updated to their latest.

Originally posted by rogunit
looks like a killer program! my 9800 pro has stock cooling. before running this program should i get some extra cooling for it? i know o/c'ing will make it run hotter, i just don't want to damage my card. can the stock cooling hang with the higher speeds this program will produce? i'm on a seriously low budget (after gettin the 9800!) so if i don't need extra cooling that would be great. thank you!

You will be able to overclock a little (depends on the video card itself), but if you really want to overclock it a lot, you will have to get some extreme cooling on it. But if you are just wanting to overclock a little, extra cooling is not really needed.

Originally posted by rogunit
If your card's getting too hot to run artifact-free, ATItool will start downclocking (if you're running "find max core" or "find max memory"), so it shouldn't be a problem. Just run the app for 20 minutes or so to be absolutely certain it's a rock solid OC.

Originally posted by W1zzard
dont need hacked drivers

hhhhhmmmm... Then I'm kinda curious why it's not working. I'm currently running windows 2003 but tried running the proggy in XP compatibility mode.. Interesting indeed... I'm not sure how to fix it.

Originally posted by AmpCoder
I have talked to W1zzard about this problem, and we have figured out that when you unzip it you have to unzip all the files in the zip file, or else you will get that error. Also make sure your drivers are updated to their latest.

using cat 3.10's and all windows updates are installed, i literatually reinstalled the os last night and it was working when i first installed it. i've tried deleting all the files and unzipping everthing again and that doesnt help. ive even tried downloading the zip file again and i still get the same problem.

is there anything else that could be causing this problem, how many files should there be when i unzip? i'm getting 9 files

is there a newer version of this coming out anytime soon? Ive been having probs since using this tool for the first time. I was getting 3dmark2003 scores of over 6000 with my ati 9800xt stock, but now since I have used this prog and since gone back to stock speeds, I get scores of around 5200..... odd and disappointing. I love the prog tho. very easy to use.

My card came stock at 400/300, it's a 9600pro. I used the find max core util and went to go eat some lunch, I came back and it had brought my core to a blazing 300mhz, I saw a few other people had a problem with it underclocking.

Yeah there seems to be a bug with it underclocking for some people.

Prez: Version 15 should be coming out in week or so. What problems are you having exactly?

I'm having a problem where when I first run the "Find Max" for either core or mem the 3d window has the cube all outlined in red all the way around it. The core freq starts going down instantly. If I keep it doing in this way the core will get slower and slower. Same with memory. The thing is, if I hit abort and then push "Find Max" the red colouring is gone and the freq starts going up and up and up to what are I suppose my maxs (~460/~375). Its an odd thing. Then, when I close the program, I get a "ATITool has caused some errors and will now close. An error log is being generated". System specs:

Asus P4S8X-X
Intel P4a (400Mhz) 2.4GHz @ 2.8GHz totally stable (can play UT2k3 all day)
Generic 2x256MB PC2100 DDR
Transcend 9600pro @ 450/350 (wish it was 500/350)

After I installed the new ATI drivers ATItool refuses to work as it did before, I just get a string of errors.

some ideas for improvement:

) atitool starts measuring after a warm-up period...eg. after a certain amount of time/frames it starts measuring

) atitool could utilize 9800/9600XT thermal diode and starts measurng after a warm-up when the temp reached a certain value (too bad i dont ave a thermal diode :)

) safe mode: after a certain amount of time there should be a "result' frequency determiend....eg. if the found speed doesnt change for a amount of time it can say "ok...fond max. frequency of...say 450mhz or so.

) applied the frequencies for core and mem should never (IMHO!) the found value ebcause the you run the cad too hard on the edge..in my opinion. It would make sense to have a feature so it applies 5 mhz or so LESS than teh found value so it runs not too hard on the border...dont know...i like the idea

) yeah..and i said that already..forced antialiasng for more load on the card

greets

Originally posted by flexy123
some ideas for improvement:

) atitool starts measuring after a warm-up period...eg. after a certain amount of time/frames it starts measuring

) atitool could utilize 9800/9600XT thermal diode and starts measurng after a warm-up when the temp reached a certain value (too bad i dont ave a thermal diode :)

) safe mode: after a certain amount of time there should be a "result' frequency determiend....eg. if the found speed doesnt change for a amount of time it can say "ok...fond max. frequency of...say 450mhz or so.

) applied the frequencies for core and mem should never (IMHO!) the found value ebcause the you run the cad too hard on the edge..in my opinion. It would make sense to have a feature so it applies 5 mhz or so LESS than teh found value so it runs not too hard on the border...dont know...i like the idea

) yeah..and i said that already..forced antialiasng for more load on the card

greets

I wouldn't agree with the next to last one. You should be fine at the maximum speed that it can get to with no artifacts.

Originally posted by lopoetve
I wouldn't agree with the next to last one. You should be fine at the maximum speed that it can get to with no artifacts.

Exactly, as long as everything is being done within reason you're alright. If you can stress test the card for any large amount of time (6 hours or more) and it still doesn't artifact then I'd say you're probly good to go. Granted not everyone has THAT kind of time to devote to it, but my point stands.

at a guess its not a sticky yet becasue it is still a beta with problems, granted less and less of them. also because of the amount of traffic ocfaq.com has been getting lately and the server problems its causing.

i hope the new version sorts out the problems ive been having. i'll let ampcoder/w1zzard know

ok no it doesnt sort them.

im getting this error message when i try and run find max core

init of findmax: subsequent images are different. please report this bug

Originally posted by lopoetve
Don't forget, if you run too close to the ragged edge sometimes the chip degrades... you'll wind up with future problems.

If 476MHz is stable but 477MHz isn't, who's to say 476MHz will remain 100% stable?

In that situation 470MHz would be ideal. A little headroom if a case fan fails or you have a voltage spike/dip, you'll have a little time to troubleshoot before the GPU locks the system. There are so many variables that can cause problems a little headroom is required.

I've been able to run memory at the limit for years without a problem, CPU's and GPU's draw power differently than memory. Add another hard drive, the memory overclock is stable, but the PSU isn't as clean, the GPU or CPU OC changes.
ATI's VPU Recovery certainly helps, but it isn't perfect.

Originally posted by 0ldman
Don't forget, if you run too close to the ragged edge sometimes the chip degrades... you'll wind up with future problems.

If 476MHz is stable but 477MHz isn't, who's to say 476MHz will remain 100% stable?

In that situation 470MHz would be ideal. A little headroom if a case fan fails or you have a voltage spike/dip, you'll have a little time to troubleshoot before the GPU locks the system. There are so many variables that can cause problems a little headroom is required.

I've been able to run memory at the limit for years without a problem, CPU's and GPU's draw power differently than memory. Add another hard drive, the memory overclock is stable, but the PSU isn't as clean, the GPU or CPU OC changes.
ATI's VPU Recovery certainly helps, but it isn't perfect.

Finally, someone with some sense to them. I do enjoy pushing my hardware to its limits but it's nice to actually hear some GOOD reasoning behind "downclocking" a bit. A lot of people don't have any clue just what can and does go on in a computer, and some never will. For those of us that are that much farther ahead, let's not abuse this knowledge and consider ourselves elitists. Instead, make sure that if you can help out someone with an OC problem you do, instead of shooting them down and walking away.

I know my 9800XT is perfectly fine at 434/790 but I'm going to a 100 person LAN in two weeks and you can bet your ass it'll be a little warmer in there then in my basement.

Knowing how and when to draw the line is key.

Originally posted by fr33ze
at a guess its not a sticky yet becasue it is still a beta with problems, granted less and less of them. also because of the amount of traffic ocfaq.com has been getting lately and the server problems its causing.

i hope the new version sorts out the problems ive been having. i'll let ampcoder/w1zzard know

ok no it doesnt sort them.

im getting this error message when i try and run find max core

init of findmax: subsequent images are different. please report this bug

Yeah, there have been several bugs that have been fixed that W1zzard and I have found, which helps with the stablity of ATITool, and other programs running at the same time.

About your problem, try opening the 3D window first before you press Find Max/Core or Find Artifacts, I had this problem once and doing that fixed it..

the 3d window normally opens up before anything else happens anyway so its not that. i've got a feeling it might be the drivers causing the issues. i'll play around with them in a day or two to see if that helps at all.

Yeah I had the same problem when I installed the 4.1 Cats, try uninstalling all traces of ATI drivers and then restart and install the 4.1s again. That might fix it...

Back