Destiny - Discussion Thread

Better aiming + aim assist = insta kill versus someone stroking their stick trying to align sights... :D

I could see it helping sniping a bit, but I wouldn't expect a huge improvement honestly. These devices have been around for years and never moved past a niche market. There's a difference between keyboard and mouse on PC and keyboard and mouse emulated into controller inputs on a system designed for controllers.

Plus Destiny runs at 30fps which further limits how useful mouse inputs will be.

I think the biggest problem PC only gamers have when they play console is they try to be precise with the controller. You don't need to be. Console games are developed for the controller so most of them have some auto aim/fuzzy aim. Just get the reticule close and let the game take it from there. You'll play much better once you change your mindset on how you need to control the game.

Ok so which keyboard/pad do you use for WASD type control? Do you hook a full keyboard or did you get something like a G13? I already have a G502 lying around so mouse won't be a problem. I also need to find a better table to setup the XIM4. I am getting really excited about this shit.

Owning nubs in Destiny with a m+k tickles my fancy so badly. :D

I use a cheap $20 Microsoft wireless keyboard and a Logitech g700 mouse and it works great. I have a g13 as well, it worked fine to but I enjoy the feeling of a keyboard even if im only using a handful of keys.

Did everyone get their Black Spindle yesterday? I love it, I missed my black hammer!

Did everyone get their Black Spindle yesterday? I love it, I missed my black hammer!

Just read about the quest line, super cool that Bungie is offering hidden quests like this. Destiny is really starting to win me over.

I think the biggest problem PC only gamers have when they play console is they try to be precise with the controller. You don't need to be. Console games are developed for the controller so most of them have some auto aim/fuzzy aim. Just get the reticule close and let the game take it from there. You'll play much better once you change your mindset on how you need to control the game.
It's really not an input difference from my perspective. I understand how it works so I can change accordingly, but my brain wants so bad to try and be 100% accurate with the game's visual cues that it actually hurts sometimes. You ever get that, where you consciously want to move a certain way but your brain doesn't want to, so you're fighting yourself and get headaches and joint pain? I may have problems...

It's really not an input difference from my perspective. I understand how it works so I can change accordingly, but my brain wants so bad to try and be 100% accurate with the game's visual cues that it actually hurts sometimes. You ever get that, where you consciously want to move a certain way but your brain doesn't want to, so you're fighting yourself and get headaches and joint pain? I may have problems...

Drink a few beers and that problem will be gone.

Currently waiting for Xim4 support to get back to me (my credit card isn't working on their store).

However, I read about a 'Splitfish Frag FX Shark' product. Basically a 'nunchuck'-style controller and a mouse, which is pretty much what I want to have for my PS4 (using a mouse and navigation controller). The thing that struck me about this product was that they were claiming to be 'officially Sony licensed'.

Just wondering if anyone has used the previous PS3/Xbox 360 version of the product, the PS4 version is due to be released this November, so I'm curious about their quality.

Here's a video of it in action.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=p-sho-XM9qA&feature=youtu.be

Ok so which keyboard/pad do you use for WASD type control? Do you hook a full keyboard or did you get something like a G13? I already have a G502 lying around so mouse won't be a problem. I also need to find a better table to setup the XIM4. I am getting really excited about this shit.

Owning nubs in Destiny with a m+k tickles my fancy so badly. :D

I use the Razer/Belkin Nostromo which is very similar to the G13. I do that to save space but you can go with a full KB/M combo. There's also the Sony Nav for PS3 which is great for couch gaming. My old setup involved using a KVM switch between my XIM and my PC and just hook up my console to the same monitor as my gaming PC but can't do that currently with my ASUS ROG Swift :(

I could see it helping sniping a bit, but I wouldn't expect a huge improvement honestly. These devices have been around for years and never moved past a niche market. There's a difference between keyboard and mouse on PC and keyboard and mouse emulated into controller inputs on a system designed for controllers.

Plus Destiny runs at 30fps which further limits how useful mouse inputs will be.

Oh trust me, it helps a LOT. Back when I picked up my first XIM during Halo Reach people thought I was hacking because how easily I was wiping teams in SWAT. I would literally makeup 90% of my teams score in that game mode because headshots were instant kills. If you put a sniper in my hand it was game over. The funny thing is when the built in MMR system starts to pair you up with other XIM players. It's easy to tell when you watch them in Killcam.

The only times the XIM does not come in handy is for making fast movements or long movements. Controlling vehicles for example is impossible with a mouse and if you get behind a XIM player they're basically sitting ducks because the mouse can't exceed the maximum movement output of a controller so performing a 180 is not possible without a lot of movements.

In Destiny I tend to be in the top 3 every game even if my team is losing because how big of an advantage I have over slow moving stick players. Unless I am getting wrecked by full teams of Solar Titans throwing down hammers like Thor.

Halo Reach, good times.
bRtfRl4.png

Currently waiting for Xim4 support to get back to me (my credit card isn't working on their store).

However, I read about a 'Splitfish Frag FX Shark' product. Basically a 'nunchuck'-style controller and a mouse, which is pretty much what I want to have for my PS4 (using a mouse and navigation controller). The thing that struck me about this product was that they were claiming to be 'officially Sony licensed'.

Just wondering if anyone has used the previous PS3/Xbox 360 version of the product, the PS4 version is due to be released this November, so I'm curious about their quality.

Not worth it, the XIM can easily do the same thing and has much more advanced configurations and support.

Last edited:

The mouse movement with the FragFX on last gen systems was horrid. You had to use the included mouse that was of very cheap and questionable quality. The XIM has more customization available while being able to use your own high polling rate mouse. I love the nunchaku idea, but I definitely recommend spending the extra money on the XIM.

Thanks for the info, I went ahead and splurged on the XIM (just used paypal). The fact that it's got a decent community and its flexibility with what hardware you can use with it won me over.

The Canadian dollar is killing me right now, ended up paying $30 more than I expected to.

Can you use a wireless kb/mouse for the XIM?

If it uses an RF dongle yes, it's very easy since the two are already paired to the RF code.

Bluetooth isn't supported because that would involve pairing which can't be done via XIM.

Thanks for the info, I went ahead and splurged on the XIM (just used paypal). The fact that it's got a decent community and its flexibility with what hardware you can use with it won me over.

The Canadian dollar is killing me right now, ended up paying $30 more than I expected to.

I pre-ordered it when it first came out, also from Canada.. But the conversion rate wasn't nearly as bad as it is now.

I pre-ordered it when it first came out, also from Canada.. But the conversion rate wasn't nearly as bad as it is now.

Yeah, it's definitely ugly right now. Got a call from Fed Ex asking for me to pay them Duties and Taxes for the product ($18). Told them 'no', as it's only $6 and change to self clear it with Customs.

Still, this will be all worth it once I can play Destiny using a mouse and Nav. Unless Bungie goes and does something crazy like release this game for PC making my XIM4 purchase moot.

lvl 39, almost 40 warlock here. Should I spend some strange coins w. xur this afternoon?

Hawkmoon is definitely a very good exotic weapon, but I'd say the best value is still the pocket full of Three of Coins you can get for using on all the ultra's all over the game world lately. (strike boses, VIP/Taken targets/etc.)

What's your light level?

Hawkmoon is definitely a very good exotic weapon, but I'd say the best value is still the pocket full of Three of Coins you can get for using on all the ultra's all over the game world lately. (strike boses, VIP/Taken targets/etc.)

What's your light level?
I think it's right at 200. 195-200.

Your best bet is probably just the Three of Coins then and going into the regular vanguard strike playlist to use them on the bosses, not sure his armor will raise you too far from where you are now. The rolled (engram obtained) exotics come out at 290 where as the items he sells and that you can re-purchase from the vanguard tablets come out at 280.

Your best bet is probably just the Three of Coins then and going into the regular vanguard strike playlist to use them on the bosses, not sure his armor will raise you too far from where you are now. The rolled (engram obtained) exotics come out at 290 where as the items he sells and that you can re-purchase from the vanguard tablets come out at 280.

Got it. I have a ton of strange coins, so I might grab the hawkmoon. I haven't found a gun I like since starting TTK ( I never got past lvl 29 and never did the DLCs), and I hear good things about it. I'm not usually a hand cannon user (usually stick to scout rifles), but it might be fun.

But I agree on the armor. i'm all green and blue still, so I need to start looking for purples before worrying about trying to buy armor. Gotta hit 40 and start farming those legendary marks.

I had good success with a lot of the quest rewards helping raise my light level early on. A great place to "level up" really quickly is the court of oryx on the dreadnaught patrol, if you have the runes for it, or you find people in your instance that are doing it, just tag along and put your runes in and use them there to finish some work for yourself. I got my second Titan into the 260's just on that alone.

Are these the "level 20" Strikes?

My Vanguard list has level 20 Strikes and Heroic Strikes, the option on the left is grayed out. What is the thing on the left?

My Vanguard list has level 20 Strikes and Heroic Strikes, the option on the left is grayed out. What is the thing on the left?

If you can do the Vanguard Heroic then do it once for the Legendary Marks and the Engram. Then farm the Level 36 strike playlist. Stay in it as long as you can to build up your streak bonus.

I believe you have to finish the story missions in TTK to unlock level 36 strikes which are to the left. They are the best for farming until you can handle the level 41 strikes. Both give about the same amount of engrams although I noticed more legendary engrams in the heroics. Could just have been RNG though.

I believe you have to finish the story missions in TTK to unlock level 36 strikes which are to the left. They are the best for farming until you can handle the level 41 strikes. Both give about the same amount of engrams although I noticed more legendary engrams in the heroics. Could just have been RNG though.

I just bought the Hawkmoon from Xur and finished the story missions last night. I'll check these out tonight, thanks. I really dig the pistols and wanted to get something I could start using and upgrading instead if flipping between blue and green weapons while raising my light level. Hopefully this thing is good? Ha.

I just bought the Hawkmoon from Xur and finished the story missions last night. I'll check these out tonight, thanks. I really dig the pistols and wanted to get something I could start using and upgrading instead if flipping between blue and green weapons while raising my light level. Hopefully this thing is good? Ha.

I picked it up as well. It's a solid gun. I definitely miss the range of my scout rifles, but the close range benefits definitely balance.

Theres seriously no matchmaking for nightfalls still? got up to 279 light and want iyed to try out the nightfall but given that i don't have any friends that play it I'm SOL

I picked it up as well. It's a solid gun. I definitely miss the range of my scout rifles, but the close range benefits definitely balance.

Ive never been a fan of the hand cannons but i bought it was well just to boost my light level

Im not gonna go through a 3rd party site for something that should just fucking be built in. I cant believe bungie is still pulling this shit

This. I get some ppl dont want to get matched up with pub players, but i'd easily say the majority of us do.

At 300+ you have a chance that exotic engrams will roll out at 310, pretty cool.

Back