Destiny - Discussion Thread

No way does a business spend half their budget on Advertising.

Doesn't seem right.
Average corp spends about 17-20 percent of profit on advertising.
$250 million on ads? I highly doubt that. We'd be seeing it on CNN and the radio stations, bill boards, pre screen movie ads etc.

250 mill is a shit load

When I think about how many ads I've seen for the previous CoD games, and how little those games change, I have no doubt its possible to spent half the budget on advertising.

No way does a business spend half their budget on Advertising.

Doesn't seem right.
Average corp spends about 17-20 percent of profit on advertising.
$250 million on ads? I highly doubt that. We'd be seeing it on CNN and the radio stations, bill boards, pre screen movie ads etc.

250 mill is a shit load

nope 50% is actually pretty normal

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/The_Amazing_Spider-Man_2#Marketing

200 million to make 190 million to market

They didnt post the numbers on destiny, I recall activision getting some shit for how much they spent marketing one of the black ops games. They got in this massive marketing war with EA which got them a lot of bad publicity. My guess is yeah its about 200 million for destiny. The commercials are quite expensive man.

Lol great review, one thing for sure, no matter how much people complain, they still put in like 30-40 hours a week in to the game

I HIGHLY doubt that. I havent even booted the game in about 5 days. Unless things change rapidly the game will die

Can't say I've seen a lack of players in the game. In fact crucible and strike match making has been fairly quick. No signs of slow down.

I've been putting in an hour or two every day since launch.

Kid had a hockey tournament last weekend, so I've got over my urge to boot Destiny up and grind for more gear.

I'm seeing that the PS store is charging $19.99 for the Dark Below expansion, and seeing that price killed any remaining enthusiasm to grind for me. I'm basically grinding the game right now so that I can be able to pay $19.99 to play the next DLC in December? Blah to that.

Still, Destiny has awakened the ol' appetite for a MMO, think I might grab a copy of FF XIV for my PS4 at some point and give that a try.

Don't do it. Ffxiv was pretty bland when it came out on PC. Do t know about now

The reviews I've read have been positive about it (at least the 'realm reborn' version). Though being subscription based will likely keep me away from it. I like my grindy MMOs, free to play.

Iron Banner is open, along with Iron Banner bounties and an Iron Banner reputation.

Have you tried it already? how is it? Are people who raided just owning face now?

Its a completely different game now, virtually every aspect has changed.

I played the Realm Reborn version on PC and found it kinda meh. I did hit max level and got my mount (I forced myself to). And immediately uninstalled. Did they improve it since? it was pretty much a grind and the forced instances were pretty garbage IMO.

Have you tried it already? how is it? Are people who raided just owning face now?

I played the Realm Reborn version on PC and found it kinda meh. I did hit max level and got my mount (I forced myself to). And immediately uninstalled. Did they improve it since? it was pretty much a grind and the forced instances were pretty garbage IMO.

My Internet speed is capped at the moment so I haven't tried it yet. I'm lvl 25 and have two basic legendary items, so naturally I'd be the top of the leaderboard. :)

Blocked at work. Can somebody copy/paste the article here?
Polygon Article said:
YouTube user Marszie has undertaken a daunting task: to recap and explain the story of Destiny. In a video fittingly named "Destiny's story in 4 minutes (give or take ten minutes)," he goes through the entire plot, within the context of how the story elements relate to the tasks given to the player.
Marszie is objective in the video, laying out the plot points and pertinent details without commenting on the quality of the writing. But he is planning to use it as a foundation for a proper critical analysis. If his P.T. videos are anything to go by, his analysis of Destiny will be something to watch out for.
The "https" Youtube link should work behind common WebSense work filters.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=06iceG8QnNE

Blocked at work. Can somebody copy/paste the article here?

Here's the link to youtube, sorry:
Oops, sorry. RTFT, Modred...

But yea, it was nice to get a summary, since i missed some of the finer points in the midst of the action. For example, the fact that the heart of the Black Garden is a piece of darkness, or that the shard was a piece of the Traveler being used against him (I knew it was inhibiting his healing, but not the fact it was a piece of it.).

Looks like another glitch has lead into another Destiny DLC zone on Venus. Not much on it, but it looks like there are three ghosts to be collected (which the glitcher was able to do).

Unable to paste the link (grabbed it from an RSS feed off my phone), but it's from Kotaku.

Looks like another glitch has lead into another Destiny DLC zone on Venus. Not much on it, but it looks like there are three ghosts to be collected (which the glitcher was able to do).

Unable to paste the link (grabbed it from an RSS feed off my phone), but it's from Kotaku.

Ok so either this content is in fact on the disc, or to help the servers out for when the DLC launches theyre preloading sections of the DLC during updates and nobody knows until the unlocks/glitches occur. Either way fairly odd

Ok so either this content is in fact on the disc, or to help the servers out for when the DLC launches theyre preloading sections of the DLC during updates and nobody knows until the unlocks/glitches occur. Either way fairly odd

Not at all. It makes sense that they built the level geometry before they launched, and included it on the disc. There are indications of this all over the place. In fact, if you go to any of the boss areas, there are additional rooms behind them that currently serve no purpose. I guarantee that will not be the case in the future. Or in the tower, across from the Speaker's room, there is a big round door that looks kind of like a Vex gate. That's not by accident I would think.

It's easier to build the areas than populate them with baddies, quests, triggers etc.

Yeah this game has room for expansion I could see that but the DLC leaves it in question is will they expand it in Destiny 1 or Destiny 2. I suppose Destiny 2 will improve on everything Destiny 1 wasn't.

Destiny plays well if you are doing some drugs not recommended like a 5.9 beer or something.

Yeah this game has room for expansion I could see that but the DLC leaves it in question is will they expand it in Destiny 1 or Destiny 2. I suppose Destiny 2 will improve on everything Destiny 1 wasn't.

There was this comedian I remember watching, talking about Sony selling the walkman back in the day. He said that they already had all these fancy new features they'd add year after year from day one, but they'd sell them piecemeal to milk customers. Wish I could remember who it was

(in stereotypical japanese accent) "Ah look ...our newest product **blows off dust** Auto-Rewind!"

I played like 12 crucible rounds never again..., I'm level 23 doesn't help ease the pain of the Crucible... I found out jacking up the control speed in setting helps but not much you are going to die and lots.
Flanked from behind camped out nuked to hell I'm a warlock I bum rush people cause I'm fast get shot from behind. It just isn't fun I tired playing on a smaller monitor thinking hey if it's in the center of the screen I can shoot faster whatever.

The crucible is brutal for people who can't aim, and brutal for people who have to carry the team on their back and still lose.

I am in the latter, and its frustrating that the team doesn't know how to cap a flag. When a guy on the team has 5-6k + score with 7+ caps (and holding 3+ kd/r) and the team still loses... It gets old quick.

Talk about non contributors. I went one game in iron banner with a 21 kd/r. I didn't die once and capped the most. And we barely won. It was 20,000 to 19,700 (iirc) at the end for score. Just unreal.

The crucible is brutal for people who can't aim, and brutal for people who have to carry the team on their back and still lose.

I am in the latter, and its frustrating that the team doesn't know how to cap a flag. When a guy on the team has 5-6k + score with 7+ caps (and holding 3+ kd/r) and the team still loses... It gets old quick.

Talk about non contributors. I went one game in iron banner with a 21 kd/r. I didn't die once and capped the most. And we barely won. It was 20,000 to 19,700 (iirc) at the end for score. Just unreal.

Yeah I have noticed a distinct lack of playing-the-objective in many of my Crucible games. Generally the team that even vaguely goes for the flags will roll the other team.

I've carried a few matches and got pretty annoyed when the loafers end up getting the random loot at the end and I get fuck-all.

Yeah I have noticed a distinct lack of playing-the-objective in many of my Crucible games. Generally the team that even vaguely goes for the flags will roll the other team.

I've carried a few matches and got pretty annoyed when the loafers end up getting the random loot at the end and I get fuck-all.

Completely agree with you on that. I think top contributors (maybe top 2?) One on each team should be guaranteed some items or engram's. At least that would promote people to try to do their best in the game.

People also don't realize that capping together gets more points rather than padding kd going solo!!

Yeah increasing yur PS4 controller in game to like 8 or 9 sensitivity helps a lot.
Trying to unlock my sub class 4 warlock.

OH MAN.
I am finally getting good at PVP, and finally winning some matches without sucking, and I'm no longer getting any engrams or upgrades of any kind.
OR, when I do, i get the same f'ing blue machingun (which I don't use machineguns).

That said, doing the heroic missions in a group of people I know has become a good time. After hitting 20 and getting into that stuff has been surprisingly fun. The game really takes off when you do it socially.

That is how I do it. I get 2 of my friends in my Clan together and we do the bounties everyday and then go do the weekly and nightfall missions. Then we will normally top that off with some Public Events.
Which this site is a must have. destinypublicevents.com/
Just pick your planet and watch the timers.
My Warlock is 29 and I just got my Titan to 20 last night and immediately put on 2 Legendary pieces to get him to 22. Hopefully Xur will have some Titan gear like boots or helmet this weekend.
We will probably run the Raid again this weekend also.

Side note, three level 30's completed the standard Raid in 1 hour 9 mins. Of course they were all decked out and they had to trick the system and the Sunsinger Warlock was a must. He would commit suicide right before the teleport started so he could hang back while the other two went in and killed the Oracles.
Youtube link
Audio sucks and I would just skip the first 30 mins as that beginning portion takes the longest.

Yeah increasing yur PS4 controller in game to like 8 or 9 sensitivity helps a lot.
Trying to unlock my sub class 4 warlock.

I have a maxed warlock and when I went to roll hunter both subclasses were already unlocked. Dunno if that is intentional or not.

So what's the best way level up past 20 while going solo w/o PS+? I have a level 21 warlock, which I'd like to continue leveling up before the 1st DLC hits in December.

Back