Destiny 2

This discussion with my "Destiny junkie" friend has stopped me dead in my tracks. This person is as big of a Destiny fan as you will find anywhere. 2000 hours give or take in the first game. Probably pushing near 200 on the second.

If this is somewhat typical of the kind of reaction that's happening amongst the Destiny junkies then Bungie better get a clue fast.

Here are the snippets:

He said if he were grading the game right now it's a 3/5. That opening statement immediately got my attention and I asked him why. I had figured 5/5 gushing was a safe bet here. Early warning of trouble.

I asked him:
Should I hold off on buying this for a few months or something?

His response:

I mean I'm still going to play it more than I would most 5/5 games... Other than playing some AC Origins and WWE, I don't see me really playing anything other than Destiny 2 until RDR2 comes out.

It's a 3/5 because I like the franchise so much.

That's a telling comment. A little more:

They made some great QoL changes over Destiny, but a lot of changes feel either unnecessary or a step backwards. Basically, wasting potential and a lot of the game feels like a sweeping nerf to everything.

The problem lies with the crucible (used to be fun and now is terrible) and the lack of any meaningful end game grind. In Destiny, you'd grind for weapons with specific rolls or armor with a high split, and in Destiny 2 you're grinding for Glimmer to purchase RNG mods so that you can hopefully get enough of a certain kind to turn into a +5 legendary mod. Mods in general are just really terribly implemented and poorly thought out.

The raid is great. Dare say my favorite one yet. The strikes are good. But outside of doing them once, Adventures/Lost Sectors are trash that aren't rewarding. 4v4 crucible is horrendous.

As is, the only real progress you can make on a character once you hit a certain power level is via completing the weekly milestones. The Flashpoint and Crucible one can be knocked out in an hour, and doing them will also knockout the Clan XP one. All that's left then is Nightfall and Raid. Then you might as well be done for the week.

Crucible should have stayed 6v6 or even added an 8v8 mode.

People begged for 6 man patrols in D1, yet nothing changed in D2. They implemented clans in the game, and then reduced the amount you can actually play with. In D1, you could go from Crucible to Raid and back to Crucible and stick with the group, now it's "well, raid is over, two or three of you have to go."

There's a list a mile long of things they need to fix, address, or implement. D2 is, outside of Crucible, I think in a better position overall than D1 was at launch for the most part, but it has quite a ways to go before it catches up to where Destiny ended up at.

I'd say get it, but YMMV playing on PC unless you have a group to play with. I'm at max power level, have the weapons I want, and don't enjoy crucible at all right now. So, my personal preference would just be to spend all my time playing the game running the raid, but that's not going to happen. At this point I'm basically playing for Glimmer to play a terribly conceived RNG slot machine to try and set builds for my character just the way I want them but also don't really matter.

Looks fantastic, plays fantastic, sounds fantastic.

But that's the shell, and overall I'd say the game is hollow. There's an emptiness to it that D1 never had.

Shocking coming from a Destiny junkie. This guy is and he has no problems admitting it. ;)

This is downright crestfallen stuff. My friend here is my go to man for this scene. He eats...ate? drank? IV'd Destiny. This is trouble for Bungie if the junkies are starting to come away like this.

Bungie can't afford to lose these guys and they better not wait until March 2018 on a DLC to start coming after this.

If other die hards and junkies are coming away like this? Bungie needs to do emergency course correction stat or this game is in big trouble regardless of platform.

Last edited:
I think this is now the wave of responses to Destiny 2 - the "newness" has worn off and I think as more people are digging into the endgame, flaws are coming out.

Personally, I'm a bit torn. Wifey wants in, and sure, some chill co-op FPS could be nice, but I'm not sure it's enough to 1) justify the $120ish cost and 2) satisfy the endgame grind?

I actually like crucible more than in D1. D1 crucible was mainly people running around with shotguns one shotting people, or sitting back with snipers. Now that shotguns and snipers are moved to the power weapon category it gives other weapons a chance, although everyone is using Mida and Auto Rifles at the moment.

4v4 as opposed to 6v6 in D1 hasn't made much difference in my opinion.

My main problem with crucible in D2 is that they only have quick play or competitive queues. There is no way to choose a game play type and you have to hope the game randomly picks the mode you want. They did this to improve matchmaking but it is a step back from D1.

I played quite a bit of the crucible....enough to know i never want to touch it again. It seemed like an after thought thrown on top of a PVE game.

I'm still debating whether or not to buy this game when released for PC, leaning towards yes based on the fun I had with the first 3 months of Destiny at initial release. I remember forming a group of 5-7 xbox friends and we enjoyed the game, the weekly nightfall stuff and of course vault of glass. We all got burned out right around the same 3 month mark though, right around the time the first expansion was released. I even had bought the expansion pass because we were having so much fun, then I never ever played any of the expansion content.

The Destiny formula on PC with KB+M controls and hopefully better load times is enticing. Even if it is grindy and MMOish, the daily and weekly objectives or whatnot was enjoyable for awhile, kind of mindless busywork with good gunplay. The strikes and raids are fun of course, never went to the crucible much so any changes there mean little to me. I don't think Destiny could ever consume me to the point I'd dump in 2000 hours like some players of the original game, but I think it should be easy to get a few months worth of gameplay to justify the price.

I think I just talked myself into buying it while writing this post.

Well after getting to lvl 20 and power 220 or so, I must admit, I'm not impressed. PvP is so-so, reminds me a lot of Overwatch and that game has better PvP.
PvE is repetition, but not very fun. I have only seen one strike mission and I'm not sure if there are more maps. I know I need to unlock Nightfall (whatever that is) and the raid, but I have not been encouraged to play more.
The loot is bad. I still expected cooler loot as this game is promoted as a game with a lot of randomized loot. I just see the same items with a bit higher item lvl.

TLDR:
Average console game. Low standard by PC standard. It's worse than The Division.

Well after getting to lvl 20 and power 220 or so, I must admit, I'm not impressed. PvP is so-so, reminds me a lot of Overwatch and that game has better PvP.
PvE is repetition, but not very fun. I have only seen one strike mission and I'm not sure if there are more maps. I know I need to unlock Nightfall (whatever that is) and the raid, but I have not been encouraged to play more.
The loot is bad. I still expected cooler loot as this game is promoted as a game with a lot of randomized loot. I just see the same items with a bit higher item lvl.

TLDR:
Average console game. Low standard by PC standard. It's worse than The Division.

Worse than The Division eh? Well i didn't think the Division was bad :)

Worse than The Division eh? Well i didn't think the Division was bad :)

The Division was kinda fun in the beginning but felt underwhelming, DLCs made it an awesome game. I didn't mention The Division in a degradatory manner, I was just pointing out that it's a better game.

Destiny games evolve. Compare D1 back when it first came out to its final form. Same thing will happen here.

have they announced if they are going to remove that auto aim for controller users that can easily be used while using a mouse? If not I'm not sure I'm going to try it out.

have they announced if they are going to remove that auto aim for controller users that can easily be used while using a mouse? If not I'm not sure I'm going to try it out.

I've seen many complaints about this feature and no reports that they are going to remove it. There was an article about this a week or so ago. I hope they remove it from the game, but at this point it seems doubtful.

I've seen many complaints about this feature and no reports that they are going to remove it. There was an article about this a week or so ago. I hope they remove it from the game, but at this point it seems doubtful.
I guess I'll be using my XIM4 on the PC version too, then... It's still a couple weeks out, though.

I guess I'll wait and see how bad it is, but it blows my mind they would have it in the first place.

now that the console peeps have played this for a few weeks I'm definitely getting the impression that it's not a big leap forward...more like they stood pat for the most part and made Destiny 1.5...some parts better, some worse but overall it seems like a decent game but nothing spectacular...a lot of repetition and surprisingly it seems the loot grind seems disappointing...console peeps are the ones that are the authority on this game since a PC release is brand new for D2 so if they're not loving this then I'm not sure if the PC release will help

http://www.neogaf.com/forum/showpost.php?p=251565539&postcount=1

now that the console peeps have played this for a few weeks I'm definitely getting the impression that it's not a big leap forward...more like they stood pat for the most part and made Destiny 1.5...some parts better, some worse but overall it seems like a decent game but nothing spectacular...a lot of repetition and surprisingly it seems the loot grind seems disappointing...console peeps are the ones that are the authority on this game since a PC release is brand new for D2 so if they're not loving this then I'm not sure if the PC release will help

I think it's going to take a few iterations of DLC for the game to truly shine. I'm going into it expecting a more casual experience that will improve over time. If you are looking for something hardcore...probably best to look elsewhere.

Even Bungie never said this was going to be a reinvention of the wheel and all but admitted it was a soft reboot and what the first game really should have been in the first place. The platform won't make a difference.

Bungie needs to pay attention to what their die hard fan base is saying and not wait until a March 2018 DLC to start addressing some of the very high consensus quibbles and complaints. If the die hards are starting to burn out, that's big trouble.

I guess I'll be using my XIM4 on the PC version too, then... It's still a couple weeks out, though.

Dont even need to do that, someone had a software emulator that made the game think you were using a controller that performed better lol.

One month on, Destiny 2's end-game needs tuning

After a month of play, the Destiny community is picking apart Destiny 2's endgame - with mixed results...there are two major bugbears at present - the game's focus on tokens as a means of ranking up and collecting loot, and the shift away from endgame multiplayer activities factoring in and increasing your power level

http://www.eurogamer.net/articles/2...tiny-2-players-are-settling-into-its-end-game

The end game is a little odd. It's very easy to get to near max power level, and it is now possible to do so with rare (blue) level items. As well, items all have the same rolls now, so once you get one copy of a gun you are good. In D1 the drops had random perks so there was some incentive to get multiple copies of a weapon until you found the perfect roll. Now whether grinding random gun perks is the ideal end game or not is another discussion, but there are certainly less items for collectors to chase.

The raid is a nice challenge at first, but I'm not sure if I would call it fun. It is frustratingly hard with a bad group and super easy with a good group. The gear you get from it isn't any more powerful than the other gear available in the game so it isn't really something you need to run over and over unless you are a collector.

There is no real incentive to raise your light level outside of the raid, as Trials and Iron Banner PVP no longer recognize light level as they did in D1. It was certainly less frustrating to get to 300+, but there isn't a lot to keep people playing once they hit that point.

On the flip side / Devil's advocate:

it does feel like a lot of people sprinted to the end.

On the flip side / Devil's advocate:

it does feel like a lot of people sprinted to the end.

the game came out 5 weeks ago on console...I think the reviews/impressions that have been coming out in the past week or so should be taken even more seriously then the ones that came out a week after release...5 weeks play time is not a rush review...hence why you're seeing a lot of the hard core fans voice their complaints now

the game came out 5 weeks ago on console...I think the reviews/impressions that have been coming out in the past week or so should be taken even more seriously then the ones that came out a week after release...5 weeks play time is not a rush review...hence why you're seeing a lot of the hard core fans voice their complaints now

I agree. It seems that 5 weeks after console launch, people are pretty much through with the current content, and really there isn't much, if anything, left to do. I think the 16% raid completion rate is pretty high considering.

I'm still debating whether or not to buy this game when released for PC, leaning towards yes based on the fun I had with the first 3 months of Destiny at initial release. I remember forming a group of 5-7 xbox friends and we enjoyed the game, the weekly nightfall stuff and of course vault of glass. We all got burned out right around the same 3 month mark though, right around the time the first expansion was released. I even had bought the expansion pass because we were having so much fun, then I never ever played any of the expansion content.

The Destiny formula on PC with KB+M controls and hopefully better load times is enticing. Even if it is grindy and MMOish, the daily and weekly objectives or whatnot was enjoyable for awhile, kind of mindless busywork with good gunplay. The strikes and raids are fun of course, never went to the crucible much so any changes there mean little to me. I don't think Destiny could ever consume me to the point I'd dump in 2000 hours like some players of the original game, but I think it should be easy to get a few months worth of gameplay to justify the price.

I think I just talked myself into buying it while writing this post.

My girlfriend is going to buy me a game for my birthday so I asked her for this. I'll play with you when it's released.

Bungie has revealed the final PC specs for Destiny 2

https://www.bungie.net/en/Explore/Detail/News/46397

Minimum specs

CPU Intel: Intel Core i3-3250 3.5 GHz or Intel Pentium G4560 3.5 GHz
CPU AMD: AMD FX-4350 4.2 GHz
GPU Nvidia: Nvidia GeForce GTX 660 2GB or GTX 1050 2GB
GPU AMD: AMD Radeon HD 7850 2GB
RAM: 6GB

Recommended specs

CPU Intel: Intel Core i5-2400 3.4 GHz or i5 7400 3.5 GHz
CPU AMD: AMD Ryzen R5 1600X 3.6 GHz
GPU Nvidia: Nvidia GeForce GTX 970 4GB or GTX 1060 6GB
GPU AMD: AMD R9 390 8GB
RAM: 8GB

You'll also need 68GB of free hard drive space and Windows 7 64-bit, Windows 8.1 64-bit, or Windows 10 64-bit

For curiosity's sake, is there a [H] clan for this in PS4 land? I could use something more than a placeholder clan.

Bungie has revealed the final PC specs for Destiny 2

https://www.bungie.net/en/Explore/Detail/News/46397

Minimum specs

CPU Intel: Intel Core i3-3250 3.5 GHz or Intel Pentium G4560 3.5 GHz
CPU AMD: AMD FX-4350 4.2 GHz
GPU Nvidia: Nvidia GeForce GTX 660 2GB or GTX 1050 2GB
GPU AMD: AMD Radeon HD 7850 2GB
RAM: 6GB

Recommended specs

CPU Intel: Intel Core i5-2400 3.4 GHz or i5 7400 3.5 GHz
CPU AMD: AMD Ryzen R5 1600X 3.6 GHz
GPU Nvidia: Nvidia GeForce GTX 970 4GB or GTX 1060 6GB
GPU AMD: AMD R9 390 8GB
RAM: 8GB

You'll also need 68GB of free hard drive space and Windows 7 64-bit, Windows 8.1 64-bit, or Windows 10 64-bit

68 gigs...ugh. Games are getting so huge. Should be fun downloading on my 3 meg dsl line. I hope they pre-load WAY in advance like they did for the beta.

I wish they would get faster servers. They haven't gotten close to maxing out my gigabit. I think the fastest I have downloaded from them is 350mb/s

For those that haven't ventured into the Destiny universe yet, it's good, beautiful and fun at first (jealous of the 4k). Then it gets grindy, repetitive and even have you question, why am I playing this?

This is how I feel playing. Weekly reset lets me attack those Weekly Quests/Strikes/Nightfall/Crucible/Flashpoint events for better gear only to be:

1) Rewarded with the same loot I already have so I dismantle them giving me some in game currency to purchase Engrams from the Gunsmith.
2) Then I acquire more in game currency to get special Engrams from different vendors to decode into gear I already have only to dismantle them and get more in game currency.
3) Rinse and repeat

Loot is underwhelming and there's a lack of endgame content to keep me engaged. While I enjoyed the blossoming of Destiny 2, I'm at a stale point in the game looking at my backlog.

PvP is ok, PvE gets boring but the Raid is fantastic when glitches aren't present. On the brighter side, there's still 2 more expansions. Until then, this Guardian is thumbing through the backlog of games to catch up on.

For those that haven't ventured into the Destiny universe yet, it's good, beautiful and fun at first (jealous of the 4k). Then it gets grindy, repetitive and even have you question, why am I playing this?

This is how I feel playing. Weekly reset lets me attack those Weekly Quests/Strikes/Nightfall/Crucible/Flashpoint events for better gear only to be:

1) Rewarded with the same loot I already have so I dismantle them giving me some in game currency to purchase Engrams from the Gunsmith.
2) Then I acquire more in game currency to get special Engrams from different vendors to decode into gear I already have only to dismantle them and get more in game currency.
3) Rinse and repeat

Loot is underwhelming and there's a lack of endgame content to keep me engaged. While I enjoyed the blossoming of Destiny 2, I'm at a stale point in the game looking at my backlog.

PvP is ok, PvE gets boring but the Raid is fantastic when glitches aren't present. On the brighter side, there's still 2 more expansions. Until then, this Guardian is thumbing through the backlog of games to catch up on.

everyone seems to be saying pretty much the same thing...after the beta I was all in (if I could snag an Nvidia bundle code for $25-$30...but later found out that this only applies to 1080 and 1080Ti cards)...now I'm in the wait for a sale camp

everyone seems to be saying pretty much the same thing...after the beta I was all in (if I could snag an Nvidia bundle code for $25-$30...but later found out that this only applies to 1080 and 1080Ti cards)...now I'm in the wait for a sale camp
19% off at GMG right now.

20% off at Amazon (but sales tax may apply).

Don't get me wrong, its not a bad game, its just end game content stagnates my interest. Slayerage has a long post on reddit regarding the state of D2 and explains it quite well.

Don't get me wrong, its not a bad game, its just end game content stagnates my interest. Slayerage has a long post on reddit regarding the state of D2 and explains it quite well.

is the single player campaign good enough?

Back