Destiny 2

Game runs pretty good. Pegged at 144 fps with the default settings (basically almost everything at max). Keeping AA at SMAA and Rendering Resolution at 100% and maxing everything else still kept it pegged at 144 fps. Enabling MSAA drops performance down to a solid 72 fps. Bungie did warn that MSAA has a big impact in the beta so that is expected. Putting Rendering Resolution all the way up to 200% tanks performance, as expected. Putting it at 150% is viable for most parts of the opening mission, but it pushes the fps down to the 30s and 40s too often. I decided to just stick with it at 100% and go from there.

The game feels really damn good to play. Bungie did a great job making it feel like a PC game. Controls feel smooth, default button assignments pretty much much sense. It looks really good. Over-all it looks like Bungie is putting some serious effort into this. Gives me a lot of hope for the final game and makes the month+ wait more bearable.

Note: All the above performance numbers are without the Destiny 2 driver installed.

It does run well. Seems to struggle with AA, though. SMAA looks awful and if I enable any resolution scaling or MSAA it tanks my fps hard.

I got past the opening finally must of hit a bug
Nobody in the crucible :(

Update finally found some people :D

6/8 people playing has to be more than that found a match Bingo PC version is a success.

Last edited:
I don't think SMAA is working yet, either.

Seems like the GTX 1080 averages ~100fps 1440p with SMAA.
My 980 Ti is pulling about 120 at 1080p, I suppose the 1070 is similar.

My CPU is pegged at 70-80% but this is by myself, will probably be higher with other players.

Displays your actual name in Chat though :p Chinese censorship at it's best.

Alot of that intro gameplay went to waste I mean it's good looking too much going on at one time there i like water pouring all over your screen going sideways ect.. just way too much filler stuff.
Crucible is fun though clean design they could really add some stuff to make this game worthwhile to comeback to once the loot system is added in the actual game that is where half of the reward center stuff fun comes in even though it's at Bungies discretion.

They could have XUR come back and bring back weird lewt corridors like in House of Elders with time limits. The animations are alot more fluid it doesn't look like stagnant Destiny 1 at all where the Dergs would go sideways and just shoot at you.

Last edited:
The official Destiny 2 drivers did not have any noticeable impact on performance. Decided to turn MSAA down to SMAA on a second run through the opening and set my rendering scale to 150%. Seemed to sit around 48 most of the time, with jumps to 68 and 72 from time to time. Everything still felt super smooth though. Bungie did a good job making the game feel good both at super high resolutions as well as sub-60.

Also, if you guys are having performance issues turn down Depth of Field. I dropped it from Highest to High and gained about 20 FPS without any very noticeable visual downgrade.

Playing this @4k with HDR on my 40inch Samsung and it looks and plays really well. The HDR makes fire and lights really bright , like more of a real life bright. Looks good. Glad I pre-ordered it. Not sure what FPS getting , seamed smooth so didn't bother checking. running on a 1080 GTX @ 1150mghz. I have SLI but haven't turned it on , from what I read they haven't fixed it for this yet.

Anyone pulling 4K/60 with no MSAA? If that's broken I probably won't even bother.

Anyone pulling 4K/60 with no MSAA? If that's broken I probably won't even bother.

This guy in the AMD Reddit is saying that he is getting 4K/60 with one of the new Vega cards, so the equivalent Nvidia card should be golden. Of course people do lie all the time. ;)

This guy in the AMD Reddit is saying that he is getting 4K/60 with one of the new Vega cards, so the equivalent Nvidia card should be golden. Of course people do lie all the time. ;)

I don't believe it. I'm at 3440x1440p with 125% render resolution (~6.2m pixels) and I'm just around 60 FPS at max settings minus MSAA. I get 70-100 indoors. 4K is about 8.3m pixels which is quite a bit more than I'm pushing.

But I'm confident final release should be possible.

On SMAA with DOF turned to High I can get around 60fps. Usually sits in the 48-60 range through most of the opening mission. Not sure about PVP or the Strike yet.

Reactions: Q-BZ
like this
I just wish the release date wasn't another month and a half away for PC. :cry:

If there's a render resolution toggle, that's actually an even better solution for me. I'll just set it to 4K and dial that back from there. With a good chunk of my games I go with 4K @ 70% to maintain 60fps. That typically looks fantastic and is a better solution than dialing back detail settings.

PC gamers are more casual then console gamers which is a problem when trying to establish a player base.

I am pretty casual these days. I feel like Destiny is a game you can be pretty casual in and still enjoy though. You can jump in and play, without having to sacrifice 1000 hours of your life to get somewhere. I'm obviously still more excited about games like Pantheon and Camelot Unchained as a throwback to my younger years where I spent 40 hours a week gaming, but I know deep down I won't be able to commit anywhere near what I would have been able to commit 10 years ago as these new hardcore type of games start coming out.

I am pretty casual these days. I feel like Destiny is a game you can be pretty casual in and still enjoy though. You can jump in and play, without having to sacrifice 1000 hours of your life to get somewhere. I'm obviously still more excited about games like Pantheon and Camelot Unchained as a throwback to my younger years where I spent 40 hours a week gaming, but I know deep down I won't be able to commit anywhere near what I would have been able to commit 10 years ago as these new hardcore type of games start coming out.

Yeah. With Destiny you can do casual play or you can get really serious with it and sink 1000s of hours. If you don't care about things like PVP or Raids you really don't have to worry about having the best gear, grinding out upgrades, grinding out skills, and so on. You will only need to worry about being geared for Strikes, which is generally less stressful then grinding for raid or pvp tier stuff.

I put hundreds of hours into the first game casually. I did the mission-based MP strikes (and a few of the Trials challenges) but barely touched the Crucible and never did any raids.
I plan to do the same this time, too. Plus, if 'm rocking a pad I'll be at a disadvantage to begin with. If I do any PvP, that's KB/M territory unless they're pretty liberal with hitboxes.

like this
If I started a [H] Clan for Destiny 2 PC would anyone want to join for some casual raiding? I played the first one quite a bit on PS4, but all my raiding buddies are staying with that console.

like this
Oh man - it's terrific so far. Set everything to the max (w/ FXAA) and rendering to 0.75. Getting 60 FPS in 4K mode with no apparent drops, even with mist, smoke, fire, and light effects going bonkers.
Thanks to Nvidia finally fixing it, HDR looks fantastic as well. Pad controls are as I remember. The original game had a pretty tight FOV, so the default of 85 is what I'm used to.
I can already tell I'm going to be putting in a lot of time into this one. I'm definitely game to play with other folks once the final comes out. It's going to be a long couple months waiting for it.

Considering this is a beta I'm pretty darned encouraged and getting increasingly enthusiastic by the feedback coming out from this.

Sound seemed really low for some reason, maybe its just because I've gotten so used to play Tarkov at ear melting volumes in order to hear footsteps. Spent a little time with it today, very smooth @ 1440p on my 1080GTX. Left the frame rate locked at 60 will have to un cap it later and see what she does.

like this
Been playing it for a few hours, it's so damn fun!!! One thing I will say to everyone running SLI + G-Sync 144 Hz displays - Do NOT turn on the "144" V-Sync feature in the Video settings. I assumed this would work like Titanfall and keep your game locked in at 144 FPS but instead it was horrible. Just turn it off and enjoy limitless FPS. :) :)

Been playing it for a few hours, it's so damn fun!!! One thing I will say to everyone running SLI + G-Sync 144 Hz displays - Do NOT turn on the "144" V-Sync feature in the Video settings. I assumed this would work like Titanfall and keep your game locked in at 144 FPS but instead it was horrible. Just turn it off and enjoy limitless FPS. :) :)

SLI is supposedly not properly working yet so that could be part of why things didn't work well for you when enabling v-sync.

Soooo no pre-load for open beta tomorrow? That's pretty shitty...servers are going to be bogged to hell.

The game looks and plays great on my PC. Huge difference going from 30fps on the PS4 to 60fps on the PC. I didn't experience any issues at all. Bungie did a great job porting this game.

Soooo no pre-load for open beta tomorrow? That's pretty shitty...servers are going to be bogged to hell.

in this case having the beta during the week might help as a lot of people will be at work or school when it unlocks tomorrow (1:00 PM EST)...I think it'll get overloaded in the evening when everyone comes home and tries to download it...

Played through the intro just now. Man, this game plays like butter at 4k on my 1080ti with basically everything maxed (I turned DoF down to "high" and AA is only on FXAA). Looks good in HDR on my display, too. I must say, I'm actually impressed with what they've done here. It's like playing a completely different game than when I played the original on PS4.

was streaming all day, this game ran so butter smooth my jaw was on the floor. Im rocking a amd 1700 and 1080 @ 2560x1080 75hz. I played about 50-60 crucible games and cant wait for more. Only thing that was turned down was going from MSAA to SMAA or what ever

Back