Dell U3011 coming soon.

Got my refurb yesterday. What an amazing monitor!

No dead pixels, the thing looked great out of the box but I will likely adjust it after I get use to it. Games look amazing at 2560x1600 and all that extra space makes browsing the internet and desktop usage 10x better.

This thing is huge too. I had a 24" before and thought "Eh, only 6" bigger probably won't look all that much bigger" then I came home and saw the box. Looked like I ordered a 40" plasma :p

This monitor is worth the price. I paid $950, and would have probably paid $1100~ for it (with that coupon that's out) so I could get the 3 year warranty. But oh well.

Can you check online and see what the warranty is using your service tag? I enter mine online and it tells me the service tag is invalid. I am glad yours turned out great. I am also very happy with mine. I would have paid the extra $150 to get the 3 year warranty too, but now I would likely have to pay over $200 extra because of shipping this one back.

I've used the isopropyl alcohol and water solution before but I've shied away from it due to fear of damage.

I've switched to something similar to this:

http://www.digitalinnovations.com/lcd-plasma-screen-cleaning/screen-cleaning.html

Unfortunately it isn't streak free but I try to get it as close as possible. The thing I learned is that you NEVER clean the screen while it is powered up and warm as it evaporates the solution quickly, causing a TON of streaking. It is best to clean it after your LCD has been power off for a while.

I also recommend using a microfiber cloth if you aren't already using one.

I've never trusted those solutions 'specially' designed for LCD screens.

Cleaning on a cold screen makes sense. I always use a microfiber cloth.

Can you check online and see what the warranty is using your service tag? I enter mine online and it tells me the service tag is invalid. I am glad yours turned out great. I am also very happy with mine. I would have paid the extra $150 to get the 3 year warranty too, but now I would likely have to pay over $200 extra because of shipping this one back.

I just checked mine and it says my warranty is valid until 10/25/2013. Woot!

I wonder what would happen if I had to submit a warranty claim after the supposed 90 day refurb warranty expires, despite what it says on Dells site.

The words "**** it" and "it will be awesome" kept running through my head while starring at the submit order button. Needless to say it will be here next week. 1231 shipped.

The words "**** it" and "it will be awesome" kept running through my head while starring at the submit order button. Needless to say it will be here next week. 1231 shipped.

I ordered after the discount coupon fell to 25%. But I was able to talk to a rep in the dell chat window and mention that I had it in my cart at 30% off yesterday. (That was stretching the truth a bit). He went ahead and gave me the 30% discount. Maybe you can try that as well. 80$ is 80$.

I ordered after the discount coupon fell to 25%. But I was able to talk to a rep in the dell chat window and mention that I had it in my cart at 30% off yesterday. (That was stretching the truth a bit). He went ahead and gave me the 30% discount. Maybe you can try that as well. 80$ is 80$.

Was this after you placed the order?

Was this after you placed the order?

Nope. Before.

If yours hasn't shipped, I guess you can place another and cancel the first one?

(I have gotten a price adjustment from Dell before on a HDD I had bought from them, but that was a 10$ adjustment on a 60$ HDD)

Single-link. I already had a dual link cable so no big deal. Might order a longer one off monoprice though. They are only about $10.

Figures. I would hound Dell to send the correct cable, as you wouldn't even be able to use the monitor at the native res if you didn't have the dual-link cable. That's what I will be doing.

Arg. After close examination it appears that there is a piece of dust under the screen in the lower left hand corner of my U3011. The result - several dead sub pixels. :(

Now to decide if I go down the exchange road (once the refurb U3011 is back in stock) or suck it up and buy a new one and return this one. :mad:

Last edited:
Isn't better for you guys to connect two monitors Dell 2209WA to computer? It will be much cheaper and you would bigger screen size than with one U3011 .

Isn't better for you guys to connect two monitors Dell 2209WA to computer? It will be much cheaper and you would bigger screen size than with one U3011 .

For me - two reasons:

1. Bezels are undesirable. I want one continuous screen.
2. Some applications - especially games - don't handle multiple monitors all that well.

This is not good case. :) I would also like to go out with Adriana Lima than 6 average girls, but I would like to have 6 great monitors like 2209WA than one biger U3011 :).

EDIT: Nevermind on the second refurb being perfect - I discovered several dead sub pixels in the lower left hand corner. Crap.

Besides this, was the "uneven" colors from left to right of the screen ok on this one? I know you and other users on this thread were talking about this.

I got my refurb yesterday and noticed immediately that the colors seemed warmer on the right hand side (especially noticeable on a gray background).

Wasn't sure if the conclusion was that these panels were just like this or if I've got a bad one...

Besides this, was the "uneven" colors from left to right of the screen ok on this one? I know you and other users on this thread were talking about this.

I got my refurb yesterday and noticed immediately that the colors seemed warmer on the right hand side (especially noticeable on a gray background).

Wasn't sure if the conclusion was that these panels were just like this or if I've got a bad one...

Actually, this one doesn't exhibit any color unevenness from what I can tell, and it was the same with the first one. I even ran through a calibration on the first one with good results, and will do the same on the second one as well.

Of course I could be so frustrated by the dead/stuck pixels that I may not be noticing. :D

Uniformity is always an issue with IPS panels and varies from monitor to monitor.

If I had one complaint about this monitor is that the edges look a little off colored. Not bad, but noticeable, but only on whites. I haven't calibrated it yet, so maybe I can smooth things out. Not enough for me to get worked up though. Still miles better than my acer or samsung lcd's.

This may sound strange, but: how does the 3011 compare to the Apple Cinema HD 30"? Controls aside, that is: the Apple has virtually nil, which is one of the few things that really bugs me about it.

This may sound strange, but: how does the 3011 compare to the Apple Cinema HD 30"? Controls aside, that is: the Apple has virtually nil, which is one of the few things that really bugs me about it.
I was just looking at the Apple site, and it appears their largest monitor is a 27", not a 30", although the name is listed as Apple Cinema Display 30, which seems misleading.

Response time, contrast, inputs, also appear to be superior on the Dell U3011 beyond just being larger: http://www.all-monitors.com/compares/dell_u3011_vs_apple_cinema_display_30

I was just looking at the Apple site, and it appears their largest monitor is a 27", not a 30", although the name is listed as Apple Cinema Display 30, which seems misleading.

Response time, contrast, inputs, also appear to be superior on the Dell U3011 beyond just being larger: http://www.all-monitors.com/compares/dell_u3011_vs_apple_cinema_display_30
The Apple 30" was officially discontinued last year, IIRC...but that URL is about what I was looking for, so thanks. Not crazy about that bump in power usage, but since everything else is a bump up...

Did anyone else have a lot of trouble confirming your business address over the phone? It took a bit, but they finally got that we have mailing address, and a shipping address.

The Apple 30" was officially discontinued last year, IIRC...but that URL is about what I was looking for, so thanks. Not crazy about that bump in power usage, but since everything else is a bump up...
Yeah, but the power usage makes a bit of sense with the bright backlight and nearly 25% more surface area.

3 inches may not seem like a lot (that's what she said), but if you've seen a 24" and 27" monitor side by side, you can appreciate how considerable that diagonal difference translates into actual screen realestate.

Just waiting for this to go on sale again so I can buy it. I am looking for it to be $1299 or under.

Anyone have a coupon code they don't need by any chance? haha

Just waiting for this to go on sale again so I can buy it. I am looking for it to be $1299 or under.

Anyone have a coupon code they don't need by any chance? haha

Does the 25% off code not work anymore already?

Does the 25% off code not work anymore already?

If you mean the one that came on the catalog a while back then no it does not. I had one of those but then had some unexpected expenses pop up last minute and couldn't order it and my coupon then expired :(

As soon as it goes on a decent sale $200+ or I get another coupon I am all over this.

I am semi open to refurb, but the warranty scares me and I haven't seen a refurb one listed in the last 3-4 days.

Quick question I couldn't find the answer to:

What cables are included with this monitor? I know in the past they would throw VGA, DVI, and HDMI in there, the works.

I know we need a dual-link DVI cable or displayport for this.

Wow thanks guys that was great help. I cant seem to get through to chat to see if I can get the full 30% discount. I am thinking that they may not be available on a Saturday, I sat "next in que" for a good 30-40 minutes. So I will try again Monday morning. I will be ordering with this coupon either way, but since it would not ship till Monday or Tuesday anyway I figure it is worth waiting until Monday to see if I can a rep that will give me the full 30% discount.

I ordered a U3011 with the 30% off code and had it overnighted (only day I could be at home to receive it) and I am having mixed feelings about the screen.

In games, the thing is beautiful. Coming from some PX2370's which have TN panels (supposedly decent ones) it is quite an upgrade. Wonderful colors, love the size, and games work without some of the quirks that 3 monitors presented.

When browsing the web or working on an excel file, however, it becomes very apparent that there is some rather serious uniformity issues with whites and light grays. The top left quarter of the screen seems to give nice whites, but the bottom half and most of the right side give everything a dirty brownish tint. It's rather annoying.

Having read though this whole thread and others, it seems this is fairly typical. I have no other obvious defects, so I'm wondering if the hassle of an exchange would even be worth it.

Having read though this whole thread and others, it seems this is fairly typical. I have no other obvious defects, so I'm wondering if the hassle of an exchange would even be worth it.

I understand your concern, especially when paying $1200+ for an IPS monitor. However, uniformity varies from monitor to monitor. On some screens, this issue is more pronounced than on others. I have not seen your particular monitor so I cannot say if it is worth the return.

On my monitor, the left 1/3 is just slightly greyer than the right 2/3 of the monitor, which are warmer. I requested a replacement and that was a mistake. The replacement had an extremely pronounced pink tint on the bottom 1/4 of the screen. I immediately packed it back into the box and returned it the next day.

All in all, I am very happy with this monitor. I think I got lucky as my first panel is almost (99%) perfect. I have gotten used to the very slight uniformity issue and it does not bother me at all at this point. This is a subjective issue as people have different eyes and sensitivities to such noticeable things.

In your case, you might request a replacement to see if it is better or worse. However, make sure that the replacement is not a refurb. Also, there is no guarantee that it will be any better. It may actually be significantly worse (as was the case with my replacement). You might have to go through 3 replacements before you get a near perfect screen. This is not predictable; simply the luck of the draw.

In your case, you might request a replacement to see if it is better or worse. However, make sure that the replacement is not a refurb. Also, there is no guarantee that it will be any better. It may actually be significantly worse (as was the case with my replacement). You might have to go through 3 replacements before you get a near perfect screen. This is not predictable; simply the luck of the draw.

Thank you for the reply. I'll use it for a few more days before I decide if I want to pursue an exchange, but at this point I'm just leaning towards keeping it.

On your second monitor was the tinting so bad you could see it all the time? If so, I should probably count myself lucky mine is only really noticeable on solid backgrounds.

Thank you for the reply. I'll use it for a few more days before I decide if I want to pursue an exchange, but at this point I'm just leaning towards keeping it.

On your second monitor was the tinting so bad you could see it all the time? If so, I should probably count myself lucky mine is only really noticeable on solid backgrounds.

All I needed to do was open up Google and I could see a bright pink tint on the lower right 1/4 of the monitor. I couldn't even bear to look at it. Monitor went straight to Dell.

Back