Dell U3011 coming soon.

Got my monitor the other day. It's brilliant!! Went from a 16:10 24inch TN (BenQ G2400 WD) to this, so the difference is amazing.

A couple of issues did bother me initially. The colors look a bit different on the left side of the monitor. (Just for the light yellow and light grey.) Then I realised it was because of my shadow that covers most of the monitor when I am using it. (I sit a bit close to the monitor) Moved my light stand around a bit and it is not very noticeable now. (Though the left side still seems a bit lighter.) If after a few months the color difference gets worse, can I still RMA it?

The monitor is tilted in it's plane. The bottom right corner is maybe a half centimeter above the bottom left corner. :/

Considering that everything else is perfect (no dead pixels, no noticeable back light bleed), I might keep this. I don't notice any 'sparkly' effect on the screen, so the AG issue is non-existent for me.

My U3011 just came in today, it's a lot bigger than I though. I didn't think it would be this much bigger than my VW266H, not nearly.

I don't know how to calibrate it. I don't see any dead pixels at least, but I really don't know if the colors are what they should be. It looks great but I don't know if this is how it's supposed to look or not. I have it set to game mode for now, gaming on this thing is incredible.

Is there anything I should have to do to calibrate it, or should I just leave it like it is in game mode?

My U3011 just came in today, it's a lot bigger than I though. I didn't think it would be this much bigger than my VW266H, not nearly.

I don't know how to calibrate it. I don't see any dead pixels at least, but I really don't know if the colors are what they should be. It looks great but I don't know if this is how it's supposed to look or not. I have it set to game mode for now, gaming on this thing is incredible.

Is there anything I should have to do to calibrate it, or should I just leave it like it is in game mode?

I use adobeRGB and sRGB exclusively.

Thanks. I set mine to sRGB and lowered brightness to 8, left contrast/sharpness at 50.

Much better on the eyes, should be good for gaming.

Thanks. I set mine to sRGB and lowered brightness to 8, left contrast/sharpness at 50.

Much better on the eyes, should be good for gaming.

Just as a data point (this may not be the same on yours), the luminosity on mine was 136 cd/m2 at 0 brightness, so I couldn't reach the target standard of 120 cd/m2. This was fine with me, however, since I tend to like my display a bit brighter - it's right in front of a window. I just calibrated my other three panels to match (my last 2007fp had to be set to brightness of 60 to match!)

FYI, the calibration software liked my U3011 set at 57-58 contrast.

So far so good. Monitor looks amazing, no dead pixels as I said, the brightness is much better at 8 on srgb. Gaming is insane on 30", and I can't believe how small it makes the 26inch next to it look. I can't figure out a comfortable or aesthetically pleasing way to position my 2nd monitor lol.

The stand is really easy to adjust, although I thought it could go portrait out of the box... good thing I went with this instead of the 3x U2311H's. Now for the daunting task of narrowing down the 30+ wallpapers that look great on it.

How much hours do you think is lifetime of this monitor? Will be picture after let say 3 years somehow worst than in the begining?

Can anyone confirm or deny that the HDMI port will work above 1920x1200 with a proper 1.3 rated cable?

Tried using the settings with 8 brightness, 50 contrast, 50 sharpness and sRGB. I don't know the colors looked rather bland on the sRGB setting. I ended up using a custom color setting to get more of a pop...I usually like the brightness up, but going to try the low 8 setting because I have seen it recommended alot for this monitor....going between 40 and 50 sharpness for this monitor...though...

I just hooked up my monitor, opened up google, and instantly noticed that the bottom-right quarter of the screen is the only part that looks white, everything else appears dark and grayish blue. I'm assuming this is the problem other people have been having. Does this deserve a return?

I just hooked up my monitor, opened up google, and instantly noticed that the bottom-right quarter of the screen is the only part that looks white, everything else appears dark and grayish blue. I'm assuming this is the problem other people have been having. Does this deserve a return?

Did you give it a bit of time to warm up? Mine seems to warm up slowly and unevenly.

Send it back.

Sounds like a fudged backlight issue, send it back.

Anyone tried to connect this monitor to Xbox 360? Works on maximum resolution? Is this monitor ok for playing games (mostly sport games)?

Took about 45 minutes from when I called to when I dropped it off at UPS. I decided to return it for good. I don't want to hope I get a good panel. Plus the screen is SO big, that I don't have enough room to put it far enough way to not notice terrible viewing angle tints at the corners of the screen. =[

Just set mine up. Currently running on my Macbook Pro until I build my gaming pc.

I was wondering if there are optimal settings that are different for both?

I increased my brightness to 100 as it didn't seem that bright otherwise...

Looks pretty. I see a lot of "glittery" things, but I guess I'll get used to that.

I also wonder, how do I check for something "bad?" I'm looking around for dead pixels, but is there anything else I should check? How do I test?

So far the display on the settings I have feels "sharp" instead of smooth like my Macbook Pro. The text anyway looks "sharp" and "edgy." Is this a setting/calibration problem or?

Just set mine up. Currently running on my Macbook Pro until I build my gaming pc.

I was wondering if there are optimal settings that are different for both?

I increased my brightness to 100 as it didn't seem that bright otherwise...

Looks pretty. I see a lot of "glittery" things, but I guess I'll get used to that.

I also wonder, how do I check for something "bad?" I'm looking around for dead pixels, but is there anything else I should check? How do I test?

I'm trying really hard to love the U3011, but it just hasn't been working out so far for me.

I just got my new U3011 set up after going through 2 refurbs and I'm disappointed yet again as this one has a dead pixel. I'll be contacting Dell support to arrange for a replacement.

My track record is 1st refurb - stuck green pixel near the middle; 2nd refurb - dead pixel in lower left hand corner; 1st new - dead pixel in lower right hand corner. Ugh. I really hope to get a "perfect" one on my next attempt as this is getting annoying.

Has anyone else had this much bad luck regarding dead/stuck pixels with these 30" displays? I admit the math favors having dead pixels due to the fact that this monitor has 4 million pixels, 12 million if you count subpixels. Still, Dell guarantees none so I'll return them until I finally get one that is dead/stuck pixel free.

The "glittery" aspect is from the AG coating. I got used to it after a while, but some people can't stand it and I do understand why.

As for a good tester for checking for bad pixels, I use this one:

http://tft.vanity.dk/

I use the executable version, which is Windows only but you should be able to use the HTML version. It allows you to show solid white, black, red, green and blue which is what you need to check your monitor for dead pixels. Its up to you to find them with the tool, though.

I hope you have better luck than me as I'm on my 3rd one and it will be going back due to a dead/stuck pixel.

The "glittery" aspect is from the AG coating. I got used to it after a while, but some people can't stand it and I do understand why.

As for a good tester for checking for bad pixels, I use this one:

http://tft.vanity.dk/

I use the executable version, which is Windows only but you should be able to use the HTML version. It allows you to show solid white, black, red, green and blue which is what you need to check your monitor for dead pixels. Its up to you to find them with the tool, though.

I hope you have better luck than me as I'm on my 3rd one and it will be going back due to a dead/stuck pixel.
Got one haven't noticed it. Maybe I'm not looking hard enough for dead pixel? Hmm.. Is it obvious?

Got one haven't noticed it. Maybe I'm not looking hard enough for dead pixel? Hmm.. Is it obvious?

Stuck pixels are obvious since they are going to be one of the component colors - red, green or blue (rarely all three). Just set your display to an all black background to check.

Dead pixels are a bit harder to find. A completely dead pixel (no sub pixels work) will be visible on a solid white, red, green, and blue background since none of the sub pixels work. A dead sub pixel will show on the particular color that is dead. To check for dead pixels you should check on a solid white, red, green then blue background.

The AG coating and dust particles will throw you off - just use a microfiber cloth or PC duster to remove dust.

Good luck!

Stuck pixels are obvious since they are going to be one of the component colors - red, green or blue (rarely all three). Just set your display to an all black background to check.

Dead pixels are a bit harder to find. A completely dead pixel (no sub pixels work) will be visible on a solid white, red, green, and blue background since none of the sub pixels work. A dead sub pixel will show on the particular color that is dead. To check for dead pixels you should check on a solid white, red, green then blue background.

The AG coating and dust particles will throw you off - just use a microfiber cloth or PC duster to remove dust.

Good luck!
Freaked me out. Noticed a white dot when photoshop was open but when I try a full black/blue/red/green in illustrators I get no white dot on left side of screen. Only with photoshop...

Anyone tried to connect this monitor to Xbox 360? Works on maximum resolution? Is this monitor ok for playing games (mostly sport games)?

Finally, the 4th U3011 is dead/stuck pixel free, so I'm a very happy owner right now.

I noticed that with the new U3011 displays that Dell has reduced the backlight intensity quite a bit vs the refurb ones I had. On the new ones I've had to increase the Brightness just barely over the default of 50 in order to achieve the optimum 120 cd/m2 brightness level. With the refurbs I had to turn them down to a setting in the low 40s in order to achieve optimum brightness. I've also read several posts and reviews stating that they were unable to get to 120 cd/m2 even at 0, so it appears that this is no longer an issue.

Seems the ZR30w performed better for Anandtech

I read that review and if you read the conclusion he states that the ZR30w and U3011 are very close. The recommendation is that you buy the one that best suits your needs, which is great advice for any purchase. For me, the ZR30w doesn't have the features I am looking for.

I noticed that with the new U3011 displays that Dell has reduced the backlight intensity quite a bit vs the refurb ones I had. On the new ones I've had to increase the Brightness just barely over the default of 50 in order to achieve the optimum 120 cd/m2 brightness level. With the refurbs I had to turn them down to a setting in the low 40s in order to achieve optimum brightness. I've also read several posts and reviews stating that they were unable to get to 120 cd/m2 even at 0, so it appears that this is no longer an issue.

Interesting. Count me in that last group, as I can't get to the 120 cd/m2 standard setting even with 0 brightness. It puts me at about 135 cd/m2, which suits me fine. I just calibrated my other displays to match that. 120 nits is a little dim for my taste.

Interesting. Count me in that last group, as I can't get to the 120 cd/m2 standard setting even with 0 brightness. It puts me at about 135 cd/m2, which suits me fine. I just calibrated my other displays to match that. 120 nits is a little dim for my taste.

I'm glad that I was able to reach 120 nits as that is very comfortable for me given I keep the light levels low in the area where my U3011 is located. I can only imagine the supposed 370 nits (typical) that is reported on the U3011 page; that would probably burn my eyeballs out. I don't think my U3011 would even reach that brightness even if I wanted it to.

A week in and my new U3011 is doing fine--no stuck or dead pixels, though the AG coating makes it seem like there's a hint of backlight bleed near the bottom of the screen on a dark background (fun with ambient light in my room; looking at it from multiple angles doesn't show any bleed at all, which is a pleasant surprise). I'll need to look into properly calibrating it, but right this second I'm happy...

Back