Dell U3011 coming soon.

OK, so what is the deal with the dell warranties on outlet monitors???

One page says same as new warranty:
http://www.dell.com/content/topics/segtopic.aspx/why_dell_outlet?c=us&cs=22&l=en&s=dfh

and one says 90 days:
http://www.dell.com/content/learnmo...2499361f9fp0c0s596&ACD=10549103-3891137-194r0

So what's the deal? I just canceled my order for my second u3011 bought from dell outlet. I have bought 2 monitors from dell outlet before and they had full warranties. Has anyone confirmed if the warranty is really only for 90 days? In the past (for my 3008wfp and 3007wfp-hc) the warranty has been same as new, 3 years.

I did the online chat on the dell website and things got cleared out.
All outlet monitors have a 90day warranty, all ultra sharps are 3yr warranty.
And it looks like the u3011 is out of stock atm outlet.

I did the online chat on the dell website and things got cleared out.
All outlet monitors have a 90day warranty, all ultra sharps are 3yr warranty.
And it looks like the u3011 is out of stock atm outlet.

Thanks for clearing that up. We all need to know this.

It is so confusing. You call and they tell you different. I called a Dell rep and they said it was 1 year. Do I believe the rep, NO. Website says 90 days.

I had to go through four different people and finally to a "cancellation team" to get my order canceled - goes to show how Dell customer service is. Every one of them was named Habeeb Mustafapetchalan.

I'm on phone with them now and have been transferred 3 times trying to figure this out. OMG annoying.

Holy shit. ***** on the phone hung up on me when I said "Are you sure it's 90 days of warranty on Dell UltraSharp Outlet monitors?" "She said "Yeah, I work at Dell" and hung up.

Just because of this I don't even want to buy from Dell. Fucking irritating.

Why did you cancel?

Got nervous when I got conflicting responses from Dell reps about the warranty terms, so just canceled until I get it cleared up. I would be pissed if I found my monitor only had 90 days warranty and cost 900 bucks. Looks like we all are getting conflicting responses.

Got nervous when I got conflicting responses from Dell reps about the warranty terms, so just canceled until I get it cleared up. I would be pissed if I found my monitor only had 90 days warranty and cost 900 bucks. Looks like we all are getting conflicting responses.
Apparently Ms. Bitch rep confirmed it's 90 days.

I'm going to buy the HP monitor. It's hard for me to support a company that caused me this much frustration. Not just the stupid rep, but the whole transferring 3 to 4 times really irritated me to.

Apparently Ms. Bitch rep confirmed it's 90 days.

I'm going to buy the HP monitor. It's hard for me to support a company that caused me this much frustration. Not just the stupid rep, but the whole transferring 3 to 4 times really irritated me to.

Sorry to say it, but HP is more of the same.

HP is India tech support to? I heard HP on that monitor is "business class" so they'll service you asap and even send a tech down instead of you shipping it.

HP is India tech support to? I heard HP on that monitor is "business class" so they'll service you asap and even send a tech down instead of you shipping it.

When I had problems with my LP2475w, they had a rep come with a replacement panel the day after. As far as I remember, the support was in the U.S. but you have to call the small business division.

I ordered when when a rep told me the warranty was 1 year. It came today and it is for sure a 90 day warranty. I am going to call and bitch to see if they do anything. If they don't I am returning it.

I ordered when when a rep told me the warranty was 1 year. It came today and it is for sure a 90 day warranty. I am going to call and bitch to see if they do anything. If they don't I am returning it.

This is outrageous. Fraud and deception are not acceptable. You should tape record the rep saying it has a 1 year warranty.

I've had nothing but good experiences with Dell support, including the representatives from India. I'm sure there are some bad apples but I've had poor customer service from US based representatives too.

I guess I don't get all of the bitching about the 90 day warranty. You are purchasing a $1500 monitor for $900 (I know that the new U3011 has gone for less than $1500 with coupon codes/discounts). I understand that it sucks but offering refurbs with the same warranty as new must have cut into sales of new monitors. Plus, with all LCDs I have owned any defects are apparent immediately (dead pixels, uniformity issues, etc). If you make it through 90 days the monitor will probably last for years. If you don't like the warranty on refurbs, you choose a different monitor or buy a new U3011 with the 3 year warranty, its that easy.

The HP ZR30w is a no go for me due to a lack of a scaler, no OSD to allow custom color calibration and limited inputs. Plus, you can buy a refurb U3011 for less. As said above HP support is all India too; most companies have done that to cut costs. It is an unfortunate fact of life.

I guess I don't get all of the bitching about the 90 day warranty. You are purchasing a $1500 monitor for $900 (I know that the new U3011 has gone for less than $1500 with coupon codes/discounts). I understand that it sucks but offering refurbs with the same warranty as new must have cut into sales of new monitors. Plus, with all LCDs I have owned any defects are apparent immediately (dead pixels, uniformity issues, etc). If you make it through 90 days the monitor will probably last for years. If you don't like the warranty on refurbs, you choose a different monitor or buy a new U3011 with the 3 year warranty, its that easy.

The problem is not that the warranty is 90 days. The problem is the representatives saying that it is 1 year when in fact it is 90 days, thereby deceiving/misinforming the consumers.

The problem is not that the warranty is 90 days. The problem is the representatives saying that it is 1 year when in fact it is 90 days, thereby deceiving/misinforming the consumers.
Yep.

No one knows their shit over there.

Yep.

No one knows their shit over there.

Well, there may be exceptions, but tech support is always a hassle to deal with. I had to call back 4 times to request a return shipping label for the monitor I was sending back.

Got my refurb and it came with a single-link DVI cable. Took me a while to figure out why I couldn't get over 1600x1200 but then I saw the picture at http://www.lyberty.com/encyc/articles/tech/img/all-DVI-types.jpg and sure enough, they put the wrong cable in the box. So I can't test it at the full resolution.

90 day warranty on the invoice.

AND... there is one stuck green pixel right in the middle of the screen. I might actually have not bothered to send it back for a single bad pixel, but the fact that it'd probably cost me $40 for a new cable locally or another week to order one online means I can't use this thing now anyway, so it's going back.... Hopefully the replacement comes with the right cable and no bad pixels, we'll see.

AND... there is one stuck green pixel right in the middle of the screen. I might actually have not bothered to send it back for a single bad pixel, but the fact that it'd probably cost me $40 for a new cable locally or another week to order one online means I can't use this thing now anyway, so it's going back.... Hopefully the replacement comes with the right cable and no bad pixels, we'll see.

I would never accept even ONE dead or stuck pixel. Their warranty guarantees none, and I would swap panels until I got one that didn't have any.

That is troubling regarding the DVI cable. I already have a dual-link cable, but it is stupid that they can't even send the correct one. Apparently those who pack the boxes don't know the difference between a single-link cable and a dual-link one and that a dual-link cable is required for the current 27" and 30" monitors.

My refurb is coming Thursday, so I hope I have better luck than you did.

When did that happen? I thought there had to be 4 or 5 and they had to be grouped close together and so on.

"Zero bright pixels, guaranteed
Under Dell's Premium Panel Guarantee, you will receive a panel exchange should even one bright defective pixel appear on the screen during your Limited Hardware Warranty1 period."

"Zero bright pixels, guaranteed
Under Dell's Premium Panel Guarantee, you will receive a panel exchange should even one bright defective pixel appear on the screen during your Limited Hardware Warranty1 period."

Verry cool. My old 24 had a few stuck on red. :(

My setup history:
24" & 20"

27" & 27"

30" & 27"

:p

Last edited:
I just got a refurb'd U3011 yesterday from Dell and mine did NOT come3 with a dual link DVI cable... Just an FYI... :(

Verry cool. My old 24 had a few stuck on red. :(

My setup history:

30" & 27"

:p

Niice! That's what I plan on doing, except I'm going to try using one of my 30's in landscape and the other in portrait. I finally have 3 x 30" displays, but I think it's overkill for 3D Surround so I plan to sell one and just use one of the other two in portrait (less scrolling on ze forums).

The problem is that it is confusing because the last 30 incher that I got a year ago, 3007wfp-hc from the outlet section contained a 3 year warranty. Paying this much money even if we get a discount because it is refurbished needs to be reassured with the 3 year warranty. They even were allowing people to upgrade the warranty on the 3007wfp-hc to 5 years for more money. I can see cheap monitors only coming with a 90 day warranty, but this is by far not cheap. A consumer is already taking the risk of having dents/scratches on the refurbished unit and paying and now they lose majority of the warranty. In addition, when people are putting in their serial number tags into dells site is is stating 3 year warranty which is confusing. I just purchased one and I hope it is 3 year because 90 day is scary. In the end though, he is right that most monitors will last past that 90 days usually 5 years without a problem, its just that if their is a problem its gonna be very expensive to repair. Outlet sales possibly do not cut into their normal sales as much as you would think because many people have been turned off/advised never to purchase refurbished parts. Dell offering a strong warranty strengthens the idea that refurbished is okay, after all you are taking returned items and selling them to consumers again, of course their should be a discount involved. I myself would never have purchased either 30 incher if not from the outlet section because I cannot see spending 1400 for a monitor, 900 was pushing it for me even though they are a blessing to use.

I've had nothing but good experiences with Dell support, including the representatives from India. I'm sure there are some bad apples but I've had poor customer service from US based representatives too.

The HP ZR30w is a no go for me due to a lack of a scaler, no OSD to allow custom color calibration and limited inputs. Plus, you can buy a refurb U3011 for less. As said above HP support is all India too; most companies have done that to cut costs. It is an unfortunate fact of life.

I just got a refurb'd U3011 yesterday from Dell and mine did NOT come3 with a dual link DVI cable... Just an FYI... :(

I just got mine today and the same story here. There seems to be a disturbing trend developing.

Thankfully I already have a dual-link DVI cable that I can use. I'll be contacting Dell tomorrow to have them send me one.

My 19 month old 3008WFP had some sort of power failure and is going to be replaced by a U3011. The Dell rep was very cool and didn't flinch when I asked if they could send a 3011 instead of another 3008. I'll believe it when/if a 3011 actually shows up, next week. ;)

My 19 month old 3008WFP had some sort of power failure and is going to be replaced by a U3011. The Dell rep was very cool and didn't flinch when I asked if they could send a 3011 instead of another 3008. I'll believe it when/if a 3011 actually shows up, next week. ;)

Nice upgrade :D

Well I set mine up and its going back. I swear that we got duplicates of the same monitor. I have a stuck green pixel right in the middle just like you do and I only got a single-link DVI cable as well.

This is my first IPS monitor as I am coming from the 2707WFP, then 2709W, which were both S-PVA.

I immediately noticed the "IPS glow" that everyone is talking about and I also have to agree that the AG coating is much more aggressive with this monitor vs the S-PVA ones I've owned. There is a noticeable "sparkle" effect when you view certain backgrounds, especially white and grey ones.

I'm kinda having mixed feelings right now, but I'll have to get a replacement from Dell first before I can make any kind of final decision. The 30" screen with the 2560x1600 resolution is nice, though.

I hope you call Dell and make a case. Mine came not 4 weeks ago and included a dual-link DVI cable.

Well, I just discovered the dirty little secret with Dell refurbished monitors, as I just got off the phone with the returns team as that is my only option now.

For those of you that are considering a Dell refurb monitor, heed this warning. If there are none available when you attempt to get a replacement your only choices are to keep it and hope that the refurbs come back in stock (within the 90 day warranty window) or to return the monitor outright (20 day window).

I opted for the return because you only have 20 days to make the return and I didn't want to take a chance that the U3011 refurbs wouldn't come back in stock and I would be stuck with a monitor with a stuck pixel.

I'm a bit bummed by this because despite my reservations in my earlier post once I fired up a game on the U3011 I was blown away. I have to agree with those that say once you move to a 30" display you can't go back. It was amazing, stunning and awe inspiring all at the same time. I now have to move back to my 2709W for the time being and it admittedly sucks. :(

I don't know if I'll take a chance on another refurb monitor after this. Given the fact that there has to be another refurb available (and admittedly combining the 90 day warranty on top of that) I think I will be looking at a new U3011 instead. Unfortunately the prices for new ones are too high and I'll be forced to wait until another coupon comes along to buy one. Arg! :mad:

Well, I just discovered the dirty little secret with Dell refurbished monitors, as I just got off the phone with the returns team as that is my only option now.

For those of you that are considering a Dell refurb monitor, heed this warning. If there are none available when you attempt to get a replacement your only choices are to keep it and hope that the refurbs come back in stock (within the 90 day warranty window) or to return the monitor outright (20 day window).

I opted for the return because you only have 20 days to make the return and I didn't want to take a chance that the U3011 refurbs wouldn't come back in stock and I would be stuck with a monitor with a stuck pixel.

I'm a bit bummed by this because despite my reservations in my earlier post once I fired up a game on the U3011 I was blown away. I have to agree with those that say once you move to a 30" display you can't go back. It was amazing, stunning and awe inspiring all at the same time. I now have to move back to my 2709W for the time being and it admittedly sucks. :(

I don't know if I'll take a chance on another refurb monitor after this. Given the fact that there has to be another refurb available (and admittedly combining the 90 day warranty on top of that) I think I will be looking at a new U3011 instead. Unfortunately the prices for new ones are too high and I'll be forced to wait until another coupon comes along to buy one. Arg! :mad:
Yeah sounds like poop.

Hey, just throw in another $100 and get the HP 30" :)

Yeah sounds like poop.

Hey, just throw in another $100 and get the HP 30" :)

As I put in an earlier post the HP ZR30w is a no go for me due to a lack of a scaler, no OSD to allow custom color calibration and limited inputs.

I'll just have to wait for another U3011 coupon code deal, refurbished U3011 monitors to come back in stock or to pony up the cash and buy a new U3011 sans deal.

Given my experience with the refurbished U3011, I will probably look at getting a new one instead.

Last edited:
no OSD to allow custom color calibration and limited inputs.
The only thing substantial you can't do is set a native white point. However with a custom profile you can still set an accurate color temp.

Back