Dell U3011 coming soon.

Just got mine. A03 made in China. So far I'm blown away by it. It makes my old 24" monitor look tiny. Totally loving it.

Just received mine as well. I forgot to check the rev. last night so I'll do it today after work.

So far I love it! I'm still messing around with the color settings n such.

What do you have your guys set to?

Just received mine as well. I forgot to check the rev. last night so I'll do it today after work.

So far I love it! I'm still messing around with the color settings n such.

What do you have your guys set to?

Have to say I'm liking Standard the most so far. Which may be blasphemous to say, not sure. I'm not a colour expert. the Adobe and sRGB settings seem more dull and the whites are a little gray to me.

I use sRGB. I find the other modes far too oversaturated and the majority of software is wide gamut/color profile un-aware.

If you like standard though by all means keep using it; IMO for regular use whatever you like best, is best. :) (just be aware if you print stuff)

I also use standard for the most part...sRGB looks way too dull IMO...but thats just me though...I primarily game and surf the web and stream videos

sRGB simply doesn't give that "whoa check this out" feeling...the colors are just too dull

What about this ICC profile

http://www.tftcentral.co.uk/articles/icc_profiles.htm#the_database

How do I get that to work exactly? And does anybody use a color profile?

I wouldn't use an ICC profile from a different monitor, especially not from TFT Central. They don't correct for the fact that U3011 uses wide gamut CCFLs. You can always get a colorimeter or a cheaper spectrophotometer on Amazon to make your own ICC profiles. If the price is too much and you don't feel like recalibrating regularly, can always return it after a month.

I'm really looking to buy one of these, is there a summarized info post some where in this topic with a good listing of what I should know? Revisions, backlight, gamut, etc? Or shall I go hunting :p

Edit: Nevermind, I think I'm set. A03 is the latest right? I just got paid from my job and I'm looking to buy one, but I'll wait for a coupon.

Last edited:
I find a good deal on ebay ...the auction is for A04 revision and all i know the latest one is A03...what do you think guys...buying from ebay is good or not ...and i have dell u24 so going to 30 inc for first time .;)

So I recently bought the U3011 and received a A03 revision of this monitor. When comparing the monitor side by side to my U2410f A01, the U3011 is not as bright! Is anyone else expericing this? I love the IPS panel, resolution and size but even at max brightness I am not liking it much.

So I recently bought the U3011 and received a A03 revision of this monitor. When comparing the monitor side by side to my U2410f A01, the U3011 is not as bright! Is anyone else expericing this? I love the IPS panel, resolution and size but even at max brightness I am not liking it much.

Very odd. The few u3011 I have (A02) as well as some other members agree that the U3011 is extremely bright - even at the lowest setting.

I have an A02 revision and running stock settings....50/50 brightness and contrast and using the Standard preset...I think its completely fine and just perfect brightness...if anything its brighter than most monitors out there

It would have to be the newer revision or something wrong with the backlighting because I have an early A00 and it is very bright on max brightness.

I have the A03 and I have it at 0 brightness, which is still a little brighter than I'd like it (but not by much) when I use it at night, and perfect during the day. 50 is too bright for me and 100 is crazy bright.

Just read through this entire thread and I've decided on the u3011 mainly for gaming and coding. Was interesting hitting pockets of people complaining about wide gamut and input lag, coating, etc but overall seems like a great monitor.

I currently have a 2209wa (I have no issue with the coating, I assume the u3011 is comparable?), a 24" seemed like too small of an upgrade, concerned about the small dot pitch of a 27", so I'm going all out for max resolution. I should be able to use it for a long time ... who knows, maybe in Windows 9 everything will be wide gamut.

One question, it seems Dell is flexible with allowing discounts from expired coupons. I see I just missed a 25% sale last week, right now it's $150. I wonder if anyone has gotten them to apply that coupon to the current sale price? That would put it at like $1012, I don't think it's ever been that cheap.

Just read through this entire thread and I've decided on the u3011 mainly for gaming and coding. Was interesting hitting pockets of people complaining about wide gamut and input lag, coating, etc but overall seems like a great monitor.

I currently have a 2209wa (I have no issue with the coating, I assume the u3011 is comparable?), a 24" seemed like too small of an upgrade, concerned about the small dot pitch of a 27", so I'm going all out for max resolution. I should be able to use it for a long time ... who knows, maybe in Windows 9 everything will be wide gamut.

One question, it seems Dell is flexible with allowing discounts from expired coupons. I see I just missed a 25% sale last week, right now it's $150. I wonder if anyone has gotten them to apply that coupon to the current sale price? That would put it at like $1012, I don't think it's ever been that cheap.

let us know how it goes! you might get lucky! i doubt they will go that low though

nobody give me an answer .....THERE IS AN A04 REV OR NOT PLS:(

If no one is answering it's probably because they haven't seen any in the wild.

I wouldn't worry about it anyways. Dell doesn't publish revision changes because they are usually quite minor.

The only two that I remember (going from memory) being significant were Revision A04 for the 2407WFP-HC which eliminated the reverse ghosting/overdrive issue and Revision A02 on the 2408WFP which reduced input lag.

I have the A03 and I have it at 0 brightness, which is still a little brighter than I'd like it (but not by much) when I use it at night, and perfect during the day. 50 is too bright for me and 100 is crazy bright.

Yea same with mine I can't go above 5 brightness or else my eyes tend to get strained really fast. 0-5 brightness looks actually really bright anyways.

Usually it is either instant discount or 25% off regular price. I been gaming with the U3011 the last 3-4 days and loving it. I'm surprised at how well a single 6970 can handle the resolution of this monitor for Starcraft and bc2

Usually it is either instant discount or 25% off regular price. I been gaming with the U3011 the last 3-4 days and loving it. I'm surprised at how well a single 6970 can handle the resolution of this monitor for Starcraft and bc2

I'm running mine with a 6870 Oc'd and I can play sc2 and bc2 at max settings just with no AA :cool:

I just called and got it for 1124 + 60 tax ... didn't mention the 25% off/current sale combo, but the first thing she said it would be 25% off the retail price after talking to the manager so it wouldn't have flown anyway.

I also asked for and got free shipping since I noticed they didn't have it at small business, saved under $25. Estimated it will be delivered by Friday which would be nice, wasn't expecting it to be here by the weekend.

Last edited:
You called and got that? Is there a live chat? I'm ready to buy one, but would like to have that coupon?

I called. Went through dell small business, not sure if one is more flexible than home, though I think home has free shipping. Kinda of a one-man company, but I think anyone can have a business account.

I just said I was ready to buy the monitor but saw I just missed the free shipping/25% sale last week and if they could match it or I would probably have to wait for a better sale and if she knew what they would have another sale. She talked to the manager and I got the deal.

Last edited:
Perhaps I'll go that route, not much calling person, but would be worth the savings. I consider myself having a business. I edit video 3-4 hours a day for youtube, and editing 100% full HD would be wonderful.

I'm running mine with a 6870 Oc'd and I can play sc2 and bc2 at max settings just with no AA :cool:
I am more surprised how well it is to game on the U3011 and use my U2410 on the side as a browser, webcam and instant messaging monitor.

Another note, I have better experience with Dell Small Business and Dell EPP then the Home counterpart. They seem to help you more. Online chat/support won't give much if any discounts while phone chat works really well.

Perhaps I'll go that route, not much calling person, but would be worth the savings. I consider myself having a business. I edit video 3-4 hours a day for youtube, and editing 100% full HD would be wonderful.

You don't actually have to have a small business to shop at Dell Small Business...

I just called and got it for 1124 + 60 tax ...

Nice deal. I called four times when I bought mine and could never get them under $1340. I even directed them to five different ebay auctions by authorized dealers that were all under 1280. She couldn't seem to find the Internet... neither could her manager ...so I bought from the best repped ebay dealer for $1228. Love the monitor!

I need two more to replace all my dead Gateways (insert profanity), so I'll keep an eye out once my savings has recovered.

I'm still using the original A00. What are some of the differences/improvements with the newer revisions?

I don't think anyone knows the details of the different revisions... the only thing I've read is that A01 had a bug with Custom Color (blue-only screens) but it was fixed in A02. If anyone at Dell leaks the details I'd be curious to know, too :D

What about this ICC profile

http://www.tftcentral.co.uk/articles/icc_profiles.htm#the_database

How do I get that to work exactly? And does anybody use a color profile?

How to get it to work: http://www.tftcentral.co.uk/articles/icc_profiles.htm#install

I'm not a color pro, but I did some eyeball checks using vibrant photos from National Geographic (check out the different color galleries esp. red, orange and green):
http://photography.nationalgeographic.com/photography/photos/life-color-red/
And this website for actual calibration images:
www.lagom.nl/lcd-test/

If you like slightly oversaturated colors for more "pop", then you could load tftcentral's Standard profile and leave the monitor in Standard mode. It does a good job of reducing the red to a bearable level (via gamma correction?), plus it contains the extended gamut information for color managed apps, so colors are correct where it matters (ex. Photo Viewer).

The other profiles are pretty much junk since they're based on Dell's calibrations, which seem to vary more than the base panel itself. For example, my calibration report was all <2dE which was much better than tftcentral's test sample.

If you want colors that look more true-to-life in all apps, then you can simply set the monitor to sRGB mode and leave it.

Back