Dell U3011 coming soon.

Asgorath78, Issue 5 in your list is a clear RMA. That ain't right at all. I suspect several of the other issues may be related to bad electronics as well.

On the subject of text size give it a week or two and you should adjust to the PPI "shock". (I hope!)

What is this RMA hell everybody keeps talking about. Dell cross-ships replacements; at some point I had three U3011s standing one behind another on my desk. Ended up with a fairly uniform A02 panel with minimal light bleeding and no color tinge. Keep trying until you're happy.

What is this RMA hell everybody keeps talking about. Dell cross-ships replacements; at some point I had three U3011s standing one behind another on my desk. Ended up with a fairly uniform A02 panel with minimal light bleeding and no color tinge. Keep trying until you're happy.

lol, yeah no kidding...Dell = amazing customer service

Hey all, thanks for the responses! After sitting with the monitor for the weekend I'm definitely getting used to the differences. It's much better now, and I'm sure I'll continue to adapt.

1. Small Text - Other people prefer larger but smoother looking fonts, which you get with 125%+ font scaling. Unfortunately not all programs scale fonts properly, leaving them too small.

Definitely noticing this. I have it set to 125% right now, 150% causes problems. The Windows taskbar showing over fullscreen flash videos for one, also several programs have blurry text at that setting (Itunes for example).

3. Brightness - I have mine set to 0-5% brightness most of the time, since it's uncomfortably bright otherwise. What settings are you using?

4. Greenish sRGB/Adobe RGB - sRGB should give you the most natural look in all programs, assuming you haven't done any calibration... have you enabled any color profiles in Windows, and/or your video card?

My brightness is usually around 20%, but this still causes issues with some websites so I bump it up to 40ish at times. I'll blame that on poor website design though.

As for sRGB, the greenish tint is after a factory reset, default icc profile and video card at factory defaults (in other words, 0 calibration). I can get rid of the green but can't really get good skin-tones, everything looks washed out and if I up the red I run into that other problem I had. So I mostly use Custom Color and turn the green down and up the red saturation a bit.

5. Uh... what's going on with that pic you're using? It looks like there's a thumbnail of the image under the transparent Aero Glass, in the bottom left corner... and the thumbnail has the split colors in it also.

Lol, sorry about that, you can ignore the thumbnail in the bottom left. I had originally attempted to use my Iphone to take the pic but the built in camera is garbage. I must have had that pic selected in Explorer when I was retaking the shot and the thumbnail was showing through.

I'll continue to play with the monitor this week while I wait for my new video card to arrive (580 to replace a 560ti) before deciding to return it or just RMA it. Since Dell cross-ships I'm not too worried at this point.

My brightness is usually around 20%, but this still causes issues with some websites so I bump it up to 40ish at times. I'll blame that on poor website design though.

As for sRGB, the greenish tint is after a factory reset, default icc profile and video card at factory defaults (in other words, 0 calibration). I can get rid of the green but can't really get good skin-tones, everything looks washed out and if I up the red I run into that other problem I had. So I mostly use Custom Color and turn the green down and up the red saturation a bit.

I'm not very experienced with color settings through the Custom Color menu... are you doing the standard R G B settings, or one of the other types?

It sounds like you might have a lemon on your hands :( The left/right split colors seems like an obvious hardware problem. Also, maybe sRGB and AdobeRGB were calibrated improperly if they look greenish.

Out of curiousity, have you tried messing with color profiles to see if you can improve the setup? I was really impressed with how photos look on the monitor when I leave it in Standard mode and use either Dell's U3011.icm file, or the TFT Central color profile for Standard mode (the others there weren't useful). Of course, the color correction was only applied in color-managed apps like Photo Viewer.

It's going to be here thursday according to the tracking. I pray that it's decent out of the box and has no issues.

I've been wanting this beast for some time, but always back it up. I am coming to that point where my patience is running out.

So what's the best why to order it? Would like to get it for $1200 shipped. My GTX460 probably won't cut it on native resolution even for SC2, or will it? :)

I've been wanting this beast for some time, but always back it up. I am coming to that point where my patience is running out.

So what's the best why to order it? Would like to get it for $1200 shipped. My GTX460 probably won't cut it on native resolution even for SC2, or will it? :)

It'll be allright, unless if you have the 768MB version, in which case, I don't know.

EDIT: I jsut read your sig. You'll be fine in most matchups (unless if 4v4, where even my GTX580 at a slightly lower 1440 res gets tanked).

EDIT2: and some custom games, but those typically kill everything in terms of computing.

I emailed them about a coupon question, then they decided that calling would be the only way. They then told me the coupon wouldn't work and went ahead and gave me a manager's discount. I didn't really have to push for it.

Well mine just came and I'm mixed on it. It's huge, it's beautiful, and the colors are fantastic.

I do notice the AG coating, but it doesn't bother me.
Images seem to hold on it, I go from having two webpages side by side to HARD forums and I see a divide in the middle and some very slight images on each side.
I have a stuck blue pixel. I assume it means stuck. I don't see it on bright screens but only on black screens.

Any ideas?

I'll mess with this overnight and see if anything changes. I would so hate to send it back for another since it's so beautiful.

Update 1: Another thing is input lag. I think I feel it, but in my mind I'm thinking that it's placebo. I don't play any twitch shooters by any means, and I knew that this had about 1.5 frames of lag, but I'm thinking it's just me right now.

Update 2: The image ghosting issue seems gone, I can't notice anything now. As for input lag all my fears are gone. I ran quake 3 at 2048x1536 and felt absolutely no delay of any kind. It felt razor sharp.I'll call dell tomorrow about the pixel.

Last edited:
Just got off the phone with a buddy that works at Dell here in Austin.
The magical code that works is 17% off, even stacks on sale price. He said he has used it on a few TVs. It also gave me free 7 day shipping. I had to pay tax.

Order Subtotal: $1,078.17
Shipping and Handling Total: $9.00
Shipping Discount: -$9.00
Tax Total: $88.95
Total Amount: $1,167.12
:D:D:D:D:D:D:D:D:D:D:D:D:D:D:D:D:D:D:D:D:D:D:D:D:D

Last edited:
kelby, mind pm'ing me the code? :D

sorry buddy. I just tested it.

"Coupon Error
We're sorry, the coupon code you have entered has previously been redeemed."

But if you get a sales rep on the phone, reference it!!!
I believe they have to request sales codes so it is randomly generated and is a one time use code.

Does anyone else notice on high contrast white on black areas like text that there is a red ring or edge on the text. I notice it on this forum and thought it was my eyes but I look close and squint and I still see it.

It makes text look red almost on some places. It's also on the OSD so It's not a signal issue. It's getting to be quite annoying to be honest. I don't know what the issue is.

I'm going to RMA still for the stuck pixel and some backlight uniformity issues though.

Anyone notice how long it takes for this monitor to warm up? The brightness shifts greatly within the first 30 minutes.

That's exactly right, about 30 mins to get to 90-95% of the max brightness and another 30 mins for the CCFLs to warm up to 100%. Wouldn't calibrate it before then.

The warmup issue is normal, The datacolor calibration software always says to wait 30min.
My guess is it has something to do with the LCD crystals or backlight.
This monitor uses led lights, so not sure if they really have a warmup.

This is due to the WG-CCFL backlight, no WG monitor uses LEDs.

I recently purchased a U3011 in Canada, from ++++, was being able to pricematch it to some other place with not a bad discount (still not the same as the one that was on Canada day).
In either case, it's an A03 revision, manufactured end of August 2011.

Screen-wise I am very impressed, going from 20" to 30". Playing Deus Ex with full settings on gtx 590 and 30" is spectacular :D

I have a replacement coming in a couple days. I pray it has no stuck or dead pixels and I can just enjoy this one.

Guys i am so excited to find a good deal £480 :eek: .. I would like to ask is this real or not ...Ist safe to buy it from outside UK and the price is so cheap even if i add the taxes 20% ....and its brand new ..Any advice? I'd really appreciate it, just feeling so lost thanks.:confused:

http://eu.buyitplayit.org/product/dell-u3011-ultrasharp-30-widescreen-flat-panel-monitor/

It's a scam. Nobody sells things well below cost.

http://forums.moneysavingexpert.com/showthread.php?p=46992085

I recently purchased a U3011 in Canada, from ++++, was being able to pricematch it to some other place with not a bad discount (still not the same as the one that was on Canada day).
In either case, it's an A03 revision, manufactured end of August 2011.

That's interesting because I was about to post something different.

After reading this thread for a long time I finally decided to buy one and the unit I received from Dell on Friday was an August build - A05. That's on the box and the panel itself.

Mine came through EPP channels so I wonder if the panel lottery is affected by the purchase program?

So far pixels look fine, backlight looks pretty even and very minimal light leakage. Haven't made any color field tests yet.

The replacement has 3 stuck green pixels. While significantly less annoying, They are bunched together near the bottom of the screen. The thought of having to pack up two monitors now is daunting.

I'm beginning to become obsessed with the input lag. I spend all my time in games moving my mouse around trying to analyze if I notice it or not and I can't enjoy anything. I never thought of myself as being one to be bothered by this but I'm talking to dell to return it.

Third monitor has 2 stuck pixels. While Dell has amazing support and is really fast, I can't handle this kind of issue 3 monitors in a row.

Crest, hang in there. I tried (3) A01's before realizing they all had the custom color mode problem. I waited 6 months, and just exchanged an A01 for an A05. Side by side on the same sRGB setting, the color was different especially the whites, but I am happy with the A05 so far. The panel fits tighter in the housing too. None of the four displays I tried had bad pixels or tinting problems. I also own a 24" with no AG coating. The monitor with no AG looks a million times more vibrant, but I'll take the coating any day. The reflections drive me nuts. I am happy with the U3011 and Dell's exchange policy. I suppose it sucks if you don't have wheels or there is no FedEx around you. What I don't like, is not knowing the changelog between revisions. I plan on picking one up for work and two more for the gaming computer. Just need a bigger desk.

It's a combination, I have a fedex near work so that's not the issue. But I think it's ridiculous that I've had 3 monitors and all of them have stuck pixels. Can't someone at the factory turn on a black screen and just glance over it. I notice these things within seconds of turning it on.

The other main thing is the input lag, I feel the delay compared to my previous HP 2509m and I don't see that changing as all three had the same feeling. That feeling of the screen not being synced up with my mouse as good as my other display.

It's a combination, I have a fedex near work so that's not the issue. But I think it's ridiculous that I've had 3 monitors and all of them have stuck pixels. Can't someone at the factory turn on a black screen and just glance over it. I notice these things within seconds of turning it on.

The other main thing is the input lag, I feel the delay compared to my previous HP 2509m and I don't see that changing as all three had the same feeling. That feeling of the screen not being synced up with my mouse as good as my other display.

Usually I am very unlucky when it comes to this sort of thing, but my Dell U30 arrived without any stuck pixels. For the amount of money you are paying for one of these things, I would keep sending it back until you get one that is perfect - I would have.

I have played tons of games on mine and have not had any problem with input lag. Make sure your game is running at 60 FPS if you have a graphic card that can drive it that fast.

I read some people play games like Deus Ex on this monitor.
Are these Dell IPS panels really suited for playing FPS games? I'm not a professional gamer, but I like playing games like BFBC2, Deus Ex and F1 2010.

Back