Dell U3011 coming soon.

Do these monitors typically support 24p refresh rate? 120hz would be ideal, but I'll take 24p if I can get it.

No they don't. 24 Hz would look terrible, they aren't designed to watch 24 fps film on. They also don't support 48/50Hz.

I keep hoping there will be more info / an in depth review of this monitor each day!

Damn. Damn. Damn.

And I'm still in the return window for my 3008.

So there's still time to return it. :)

I wonder what panel the 3011 uses and what kind of input lag numbers we will see on it. If it is sub 16 ms. That would make one huge honking gaming monitor. :)

Looks like this is going to come out just in time. My trusty 3007 seems to be dying - going into standby mode when it should not.

Last edited:
Oh, I didnt even got that far. Those are very comical english.

Nice mob and someone leg on the table.

Overall a nice 30" monitor! You all test it out and compare how it is to the 3008wfp.

Last edited:
Do these monitors typically support 24p refresh rate? 120hz would be ideal, but I'll take 24p if I can get it.

Not necessary; current graphics cards remove the Judder caued by 3:2 pull-down. they have a lot more processing power than any TV will ever have.

Dave

No they don't. 24 Hz would look terrible, they aren't designed to watch 24 fps film on. They also don't support 48/50Hz.

Sorry but you have absolutely no idea about how a monitor works. As long as the frequency dont go over 60Hz. the monitor will take and display the exact frequency the GC outputs. 60Hz, 48, 24, 52... etc WHATEVER. This aspect, entirely relies on the graphic card posibilities, not the monitor,

So yes; if you GC supports it, you can display the frequency you want, up to 60Hz.

So there's still time to return it. :)

I wonder what panel the 3011 uses and what kind of input lag numbers we will see on it. If it is sub 16 ms. That would make one huge honking gaming monitor. :)

That's what I'm wondering too. The U2711 would probably be better for my needs, but I want to know what the input lag on the U3011 is going to be like. If it's better than the 27 I'll go with the U3011.

Either one will be a step up from my 2407wfp.

Sorry but you have absolutely no idea about how a monitor works. As long as the frequency dont go over 60Hz. the monitor will take and display the exact frequency the GC outputs. 60Hz, 48, 24, 52... etc WHATEVER. This aspect, entirely relies on the graphic card posibilities, not the monitor,
Many computer screens don't support a refresh rate != 60Hz. Those who do often work with a fixed panel update frequency. Two recent examples: DELL U2410/U2711 und NEC PA241W/ PA271W support flexible refresh rates on input but are internally converting every frequency to 60Hz which leads to judder (Link). Some newer Eizo CGs accept signals with flexible refresh rates without having a fixed panal update frequency. There are some other screens to, often"hybrid models" with HDMI input. The last display I have tested was the Samsung BX2440 which displays 48/50/60Hz judderfree but doesn't accept 24Hz. In the TV sector the situation is much better. It was a long time ago that we had some models with fixed panel update frequency.

Best regards

Denis

Last edited:
Well it looks like this is my next monitor. They mentioned that the input lag was lower than the u2711, which is great because I didn't notice any lag when I had the u2711.

Now, I just need it to go on sale!

Extremely pleased with the price.

Protip: American Express users can get a 350.00 Dell certificate for ~35000 points thru Membership Rewards.

Are they still doing the small business discount?

I might wait till Rev 2 comes out though. Would November be a safe bet around then?

I want this.

I have 3 x 24" eyefinity right now, but damn this makes me consider selling them all

OMG... I've been glossing over these forums for the past year reading opinions on monitors, looking for that perfect IPS display.

I think my quest has reached an end today. :D

OMG... I've been glossing over these forums for the past year reading opinions on monitors, looking for that perfect IPS display.

I think my quest has reached an end today. :D

Please post your impressions here as soon as you buy it. I can't wait to read people's impressions of this monitor. :D

Sweet, according to the CNet review, the AG coating is alot less "sparkly" than the U3008. I honestly have never seen any Ultrasharps in person but I know one big holdup on the U2711 was the AG coating.

Just out of curiosity, was the AG coating on the U2711 similar to the U3008? If so, it sounds like the 3011 is a huge improvement!

Placed an order for 2 of these. Will have some initial impressions as soon as I receive them. Currently, the ETA on shipment is 10/1 which kind of sucks.

Placed an order for 2 of these. Will have some initial impressions as soon as I receive them. Currently, the ETA on shipment is 10/1 which kind of sucks.

IME, Dell overestimates shipping dates. With any luck, you'll be enjoying both of them well before then.

Congrats on the purchase!

Will my single ATI 5870 be enough for this 30" (2560 x 1600) ?

Also, are most people buying 30" monitors placing them on their desk ? And hence sitting about 3-5 feet away ?

Also, are most people buying 30" monitors placing them on their desk ? And hence sitting about 3-5 feet away ?

With the resolution being what it is you can sit right in front of it pretty easily

Also 5870 will be fine, you'll have to tone down some settings in some games.

Yes, as long as you don't demand full detail + AA/AF in every upcoming title for the next 2 years. If you do, plan to add a second 5870 or upgrade to a more powerful single card. I played Red Faction: Guerrilla, Crysis, The Saboteur, etc. on a single 5870 + 30" but don't expect that configuration to achieve 60fps in Metro 2033 and the latest games in the upcoming months.

Yes. Sometimes closer; it depends on your desk setup, vision, etc. I personally sit closer than 3' from my monitor; it occupies a great deal of my FOV and I do not have to turn my head left & right to view the entire monitor which was not the case with my 37".

Why would you consider this LCD over the HP ZR30W for a gaming screen for a computer? I could only see going with the Dell if you want to use an Xbox 360 or PS3. The HP and Dell have the same panel, yet the HP has quite a bit lower input lag and is ~$350 cheaper.

I've had one of these for about 3 weeks now, got it because the nearly brand new 3008wfp ordered from dell died on me, and they sent me a u3011 as a replacement, It's a nice monitor, although i don't really notice much difference in image quality between the 2, the black seems a little darker, but there is still a smidgen of backlight bleed through at the top

Why would you consider this LCD over the HP ZR30W for a gaming screen for a computer? I could only see going with the Dell if you want to use an Xbox 360 or PS3. The HP and Dell have the same panel, yet the HP has quite a bit lower input lag and is ~$350 cheaper.

Hmm, I'm not really planning on playing any console games on my computer monitor. I'll start checking out HPZR30W reviews. I'm really planning on replacing my current 24" monitor towards end of November.... No rush for me...
Note: I just checked the specs for HP ZR30W and they are exactly the same as DELL U3011... and $200 cheaper... at least on HP's site. Hmm, HP is starting to look nicer :)

I was really debating about having a 30" monitor on my desk so close... but seems like no one is complaining about having a 30" monitor on their desk... So I guess it should be fine.

Last edited:
From my experience, a single 5870 does not do the trick at 2560x1600. I had to jump up to a 5970 before I was satisfied. That's just me though.

From my experience, a single 5870 does not do the trick at 2560x1600. I had to jump up to a 5970 before I was satisfied. That's just me though.

I've had issues with SLI with NVIDIA and always try to stay away from dual GPU's. I usually try to go for the best single GPU. Let's see.

When I work with my 30" monitor, I sit the same distance away from it as I would any other monitor. About arms length. The reason is that it has a about the same dot pitch as most monitors. I think it's 102 dpi. If I'm working on a complex drawing that fills the screen, I may slide my chair side-to-side to get a better view. Normally the screen is completely readable from one central viewing point.

Going from my 19" CRT to a 30" LCD was like when I traded my bicycle for a new car. The freedom and possibilities really opened up.:D

I've had one of these for about 3 weeks now, got it because the nearly brand new 3008wfp ordered from dell died on me, and they sent me a u3011 as a replacement, It's a nice monitor, although i don't really notice much difference in image quality between the 2, the black seems a little darker, but there is still a smidgen of backlight bleed through at the top

You are darn lucky to get it so quick.

The anti-glare coating is definitely a lot less "twinkly" ?

For us here is sparky?

Waiting for anyone to compare side by side with the 3008wfp and this one.

Back