Dell U3011 coming soon.

Guys, make sure to check your mails and see if you have the recent dell catalog. The 15% off coupon should work for these monitors. I used it to get @ $450 off 2 monitors.

Guys, make sure to check your mails and see if you have the recent dell catalog. The 15% off coupon should work for these monitors. I used it to get @ $450 off 2 monitors.

Was the catalog in the regular mail? Any chance you could post the code?

:mad:

I see a lot of people here who think newer is always better, but this new monitor is a big disappontment for the people that REALLY want the best, for us $ 1499 or $ 1999 is not the point.

Honestly now Dell does not have a "high end" monitor anymore.

By the way Apple also kills the Cinema ACD30 and replace it with another 27 "mess of glass" model... these are sad days for lovers of great monitors....

Seing the specs and build quality of the U3011 it looks more of a logical replacement for the now very old 3007WFP than a replacement for the 3008WFP.

Case:
Superb, sleek machined metal replaced by pathetic commoditized cheap looking plastic

Inputs:
Less analog inputs (yeah you have 1 extra HDMI)

The panel:
Of course is EXACTLY the same (LG Display LM300WQ5) and I say OF COURSE because here is not a Dell problem in 3 years there have not been any advancement in large monitors IPS panels, by the way remember H-IPS is only a kind of S-IPS panel NOT a different technology

LUT:

OK 10 bit is better than 8 bit, but can anyone see HONESTLY a perceived difference between 16.7 million and 1 billion colors pallete ???

Antiglare coating:
The same panel = the same coating made by LG in Korea (by the way never a problem with that for me)

Recent experience with 3008WFP Rev A03:
In April 2010 I received my third 3008WFP revision A03 and it works even better than the other two I own ( A02 an A00), no backlight bleed, no excessive heat, no color shift, for me it´s still the large display king.

Input lag:
Only a problem for people living in Halo Worlds

In no way I am "closed" to new technology but probably the "next big thing" in LCD displays is still years ahead, perhaps a now inexistent 4 K ultra HD IPS panel, (seeing the Iphone 4 it seems possible) or perhaps an evolution of the awesome and ultraelegant LG OLED 31" TV seen at the IFA 2010 in Berlin.... this is really expensive (7000 euros = $ 9000) to be released worldwide April 2011.

By the way CNET´s reviews form Australia are good but be careful of CNET US reviews they are allways a SHORT TERM vision of what a product is, the 30 inch Gateway monitors (much praised by Eric Franklin ) are a disaster, many of them are broken with no service available, check horror stories of them everywhere in the web. You will not find A WORD of this in CNET.

Regards.-

So what is the coupon?
And is this better than 3008?:confused:

Does anyone know if this monitor will do PIP (picture in picture)? I see that it does picture by picture, but I don't think that is the same...

My Gateway XHD3000 is starting to go out, and while I will try and get it fixed if at all possible, I might end up having to replace it. I specifically use that monitor for my 2nd computer and frequently (daily) watch video in the PIP window which is customizable for placement and size.

Thanks!

The 3008WFP has Picture By Picture. And as you say, it's not the same.

http://privat.bahnhof.se/wb895093/3008wfp/xbox_component_pbp.jpg

Note that the PC is actually sending a widescreen image (2560x1600 in this case) but the monitor stretches it out to be 4:3 when in picture by picture.

Quite useless for the very most purposes.

I can't say that the U3011 will be the same but I don't find it that likely to sport picture in picture if it only say picture by picture. But display manufacturers sure have made bigger specification errors before :p

Thanks for the info. I know that I briefly looked at the Dell 3008WFP back in November 2008 when I ended up buying my Gateway XHD3000, but I thought for sure that the 3008 had PIP - picture in picture...

I guess I'll have to do more research, etc. as I really need a monitor with PIP capability...

Thanks again!

-Vorpel

PIP is quite hard to get in a computer display. If you go for 30" then I think Dells (worthless) picture by picture is the best you are gonna get (aside from the gateway). If not the U3011 is better in this area of course.

I'd check for alternatives. For analogue content a TV-card could work (watch out for lag though) and for computer use then some remote desktop software will work well in many situations (not gaming or movies though). With the big advantage that you can easily move around and resize the window with your mouse and that stuff don't get stuck behind it in the same way as with PIP (something that I find quite annoying with PIP (I've only used PIP on my Dell 2007WFP though and there is not so much real estate on a 20" so that could be why I'm not overenthusiastic about it :p))

@EDUBUDAN: So.... basically the U3011 is the U3008 with a better AG coating and less input lag with a cheaper case? Whether the case is plastic or machined metal isn't a deal breaker for me... so I guess in my book the U3011 is still the best bet.

Oh man, I want to get two - but it takes 3 weeks to get a new Dell Catalog. Hopefully a coupon appears soon. I'm itchy!

I noticed a bunch of people dumping 3008fpw's on ebay. BTW: This monitor is an electricity hog! Any ideas how to combat that?

Who cares about how cheap the case is. I just remove the bezel/case anyway for multi-monitor setups anyways. ;)

Considering giving up eyefinity for one U3011 or 2 x U2711. Any thoughts? Does anyone feel like multi-monitor multi-tasking is sort of negated and unnecessary since Windows 7?

Ah, finally I can dump my two 3007 WFP-HC monitors... So tired of the colors being wrong and oversaturated in everything except my calibrated apps (photoshop/lightroom etc) and having to mess with the colormunki calibrator all the time.

This has a proper factory calibration, a LUT and a proper sRGB mode like $3500 Eizo monitors with basically the same panels.

If you do photography or color sensitive work, this is huge. Others have been happy with the U2411 and U2711 in this regard, I just couldn't go back down in size.

So yeah, i think it's ebay time. These new monitors will go with 20-25% off coupons for sure, it's just marked up for launch. I can't say what I can pay for them right now, but it is less than website. If your company has a enterprise rep, give them a call. :)

According to cnet, even with the "factory calibration", the u3011 needed a color calibrator to get the picture decent.

According to cnet, even with the "factory calibration", the u3011 needed a color calibrator to get the picture decent.
The measurements weren't carried out correct (details). The new U3011 almost certainly just behaves like the U2711 => Quite neutral and with good sRGB/ AdobeRGB mode (which doesn't replace a flexible color space emulation like NEC PA and Eizo CG but is effective for many users anyway). Regarding the 12bit LUT a full gradation control would be nice - but you can't have it all.

Best regards

Denis

Not to rain on the U3011's parade, but HP just lowered the ZR30W's price and it can be had for almost $1000 brand new.

Edubudan you literally took all of the words out of my mouth. That is my exact feeling on the new model... it looks cheap. Extremely cheap. If I'm dropped $1200+ for a monitor, it should play the part and look the part, too.

maybe the plastic helps with the heat rather than the metal bezel?
just guessing. I want screen real estate, not fancy bezels. As long as they are dark coloured.

The HP may have a nice price but I need a monitor for a PC *and* a Playstation 3, so the ZR30W isn't even an option. And I'm with netw1z, DELL doesn't build the most chic looking displays on the market, but I'm shopping for 2560x1600 with a scaler and dual-link DVI (which eliminates everything minus the U3011 and PA301W), not a fancy looking bezel.

I see a lot of people here who think newer is always better, but this new monitor is a big disappontment for the people that REALLY want the best, for us $ 1499 or $ 1999 is not the point.

I don't see your point. You say that the U3011 is a little better or equal in any regard but still seem to prefer the 3008WFP? Why?

Now I don't know about the U3011 and I haven't looked that much into the U2410 and U2711 but those seem to have a much more matured OSD and much better color modes.
Isn't that the biggest improvement one could ever hope for?

Even if there was a new panel one shouldn't have thought that this generation, but not anything before it, would be the magic one that suddenly changed everything. In the last few years every step forward is something positive and what I mentioned above is enough to make it a huge leap forward relatively to what we have seen in the past.

And what do the 3008WFP have that the U3011 doesn't?

Not saying that the 3008WFP is bad. As I've predicted before, the difference between the U3011 and the 3008WFP will most likely be minute, and there certainly doesn't seem to be any reason for any 3008WFP owner to replace it with the U3011. But thats how it's allways been with the 30" monitors.

IMO the U3011 loooks better. The 3008WFP may have it's metal bezel but it looks like plastic anyway and the glossy stand isn't exactly stylish either. The stand behind the monitor looks very nice but on the other hand it has problems with keeping the monitor straight... And most people have their monitor up against the wall so you won't see it anyway. The U3011 stand is most likely better.
And due to the 3008WFPs stand-design you can't change the height of the monitor without changing the distance between you and the screen, this is not a biggie but it's a bit annoying if you have more than one monitor and that other monitor isn't another 3008WFP...

The U3011 seems to a little bit better or equal in every regard to the 3008WFP and IMO thats the best one could hope for. Again, and as you've said the differences are quite small, but that was to be expected. The looks of the new Dells are much cleaner than that of the 3008WFP.

Last edited:
:mad:

Better OSD and especially getting rid of that awfully slow input/resolution switching is a big plus in my book. Personally I see no point in having the analog inputs because none of them can even utilise the full resolution and most people won't have a use for them. Just makes switching inputs unnecessarily difficult. The PiP feature also seems to be much better now.

Of course, as a 3008WFP owner I won't bother getting the U3011. But given the choice between the two, I'd get the newer one even if it's just essentially a "bug fix".

The HP may have a nice price but I need a monitor for a PC *and* a Playstation 3, so the ZR30W isn't even an option. And I'm with netw1z, DELL doesn't build the most chic looking displays on the market, but I'm shopping for 2560x1600 with a scaler and dual-link DVI (which eliminates everything minus the U3011 and PA301W), not a fancy looking bezel.

Alright - I haven't been following monitor news for a while, but did the NEC PA301 get cancelled? NEC doesn't show it on their website, and I can't find a vendor who lists it.

Thanks!

Alright - I haven't been following monitor news for a while, but did the NEC PA301 get cancelled? NEC doesn't show it on their website, and I can't find a vendor who lists it.

Thanks!

That's actually a good question. I thought the PA301W was supposed to come out soon, but I couldn't find any information on it. Since DELL beat NEC to the punch in the new 30" IPS race, I ended up buying the U3011.

That's actually a good question. I thought the PA301W was supposed to come out soon, but I couldn't find any information on it. Since DELL beat NEC to the punch in the new 30" IPS race, I ended up buying the U3011.

With Dell starting at $1500; how many people are going to pay another $700+ for the NEC. I think it will still happen, NEC is just real slow at bringing out 30 inch models.

so ... is anyone here already running a dell u3011!? how is it, is it better than a dell u2410? (in image quality!?)

Having been using my U3011 for a day now (and having upgraded from a 3008), I can definatley say that it IS the better monitor. It's cooler, lighter, quicker and seems to be completely bug free. AG coating has less sparkle and input switching is much easier and quicker. A really good monitor.

Having been using my U3011 for a day now (and having upgraded from a 3008), I can definatley say that it IS the better monitor. It's cooler, lighter, quicker and seems to be completely bug free. AG coating has less sparkle and input switching is much easier and quicker. A really good monitor.

Pics or it didn't happen! /joking, but seriously though, if you have any pics, please share :D

Back