Dell U3011 coming soon.

Your face is inaccurate. :p So just kidding. But your example is wrong. I had read about it before but forgot that the HDMI 1.3 and 1.4 spec upped the max res. I do know that there is no difference in the HDMI cables unless (or you have a really pore quality cable and or are pushing the length limit) you need the Ethernet over HDMI 1.4 networking feature. I wish all my stuff had that, one less cable. The High Speed HDMI cables are all hype unless you have a very long run and or lots of interference. I have a HDMI 1.0 25ft MonoPrice cable that has full HDMI 1.4 support save for the Ethernet channel.

HDMI has a limit of 1920x1080, I think.

I also ordered my second one today with this 25% off coupon code: $XC?$30KLF86VM
-$375 :)
Free 3-5 Day Shipping :)
+$93.12 CA Tax :mad:
+$8 State Environmental Fee :rolleyes:

$1225.37 Delivered. Not the best price ever but less than the December coupon I used on the last one and always better than list with shiping and tax. $1625 Ouch!

Anyone want a two month old U2711? :)

Picked one up today. Looking forward to see what the GTX570 can do. :D

Pulled the trigger.

Tried to resist but failed. My credit card is weeping. I need a drink.

Last edited:
Haha. I know the feeling. Congratulations. You'll love it. Remember it needs a few mins to warm up.

Zarathustra[H];1036840611 said:
You could do it, butit wouldn't match in size like the 2007fp does in portrait mode.

I agree. :cool:

DSC_0111.jpg

I could not resist and pulled the trigger with the coupon for SB. What are the best settings out of the box for gaming? I don't have any calibration tools, but I can download the calibration software from the AVS forum. Is there a preset that works well for general use?

damn that looks sick.

Agreed. The only unfortunate part is that neither Nvidia or AMD allow gaming like that.

All monitors must have the same resolution and orientation.

if it's a DX9 game you can try to get it working with SoftTH though.

Zarathustra[H];1036848266 said:
if it's a DX9 game you can try to get it working with SoftTH though.

For those unaware, who have a PLP setup like this: you can also try running the game in windowed mode, and it should span across all three. Something like ShiftWindow may be useful for centring it so the title bar etc is hidden..

u rule. Just everything. Real desk. Fishing poles. Real wood door. I think I'm in love.

Thanks man. I do love to flyfish. And I always told myself when I got a real job I would buy a real house and a real desk. Check and Check. Couldn't be happier.

I have seen some good coupons here in the forum for 20-30% discount but those do not work in Canada.
Guys, do you have any idea where I can find coupons that work in Canada ?

I have seen some good coupons here in the forum for 20-30% discount but those do not work in Canada.
Guys, do you have any idea where I can find coupons that work in Canada ?

Have you ever bought anything directly from Dell online? Once I did, I was on their mailing list, and I get offers sent to me both in the mail and via email every now and then.

Maybe if you create a Dell online store account you'll get them as well?

Otherwise you could also try to just call them and barter on the phone, like some other people in this thread have done.

Zarathustra[H];1036851259 said:
Have you ever bought anything directly from Dell online? Once I did, I was on their mailing list, and I get offers sent to me both in the mail and via email every now and then.

Maybe if you create a Dell online store account you'll get them as well?

Otherwise you could also try to just call them and barter on the phone, like some other people in this thread have done.

That and buy a Dell EPP coupon on eBay and apply it to a purchase. That is what I did and I have been bombed with coupons ever sense.

It came today! Exact ship date that Dell estimated.
2560 x 1600 is better than sex. Worth every penny of that ~$1200.
Gotta test all my games on various settings, but unboxed it and played League of Legends in full resolution on very high with no problems on my single gtx 470 through the DVI.

Thanks for the shove guys, I am very happy with my purchase. If you are on the fence about this monitor, get off it! I'll report back later with more thorough analysis (ie: input lag, dead pixels, performance).

It came today! Exact ship date that Dell estimated.
2560 x 1600 is better than sex. Worth every penny of that ~$1200.
Gotta test all my games on various settings, but unboxed it and played League of Legends in full resolution on very high with no problems on my single gtx 470 through the DVI.

Thanks for the shove guys, I am very happy with my purchase. If you are on the fence about this monitor, get off it! I'll report back later with more thorough analysis (ie: input lag, dead pixels, performance).

Mine also arrived today and I have to admit its too big. But that doesn't matter... I'll just get used to it. This thing is gigantic, none of the photos give it justice. At all. Its a shame really. Works perfectly, no dead pixels. Gonna go play some games now and see if my 5770 can handle this res (6970 in the mail)

I can understand why some people have problems with the AG coating, reading text on a white background. It doesn't bug me that much thankfully.

Do you guys think a single 6950 or 6970 would be okay for general gaming for the u3011? I don't need to have the best resolutions and everything on the newest and most graphic intensive games. I'm starting to get back into pc gaming and will probably play a lot of older games too.. Maybe some FPS and diablo 3 when it comes out or something

Do you guys think a single 6950 or 6970 would be okay for general gaming for the u3011? I don't need to have the best resolutions and everything on the newest and most graphic intensive games. I'm starting to get back into pc gaming and will probably play a lot of older games too.. Maybe some FPS and diablo 3 when it comes out or something

Save some cash and buy the 6950, flash it, and never look back.

Mine also arrived today and I have to admit its too big. But that doesn't matter... I'll just get used to it

I find this happens remarkably quickly. You'll be used to it in no time.

Gonna go play some games now and see if my 5770 can handle this res (6970 in the mail).

That's going to depend completely on what you play. Older games, or lower end settings, sure. Newer games or high quality settings, maybe not.

For my older example, at 2560x1600 Counter-Strike: Source keeps bouncing off the 303fps game limiter with 8x MSAA on using my GTX580. The lowest I've seen it go in high action / complexity scenes is about 180fps.

For newer games though, even my GTX580 is a bit weak at this resolution, especially if I want to use any AA at all or use advanced tessellation settings. If my GTX580 is weak, then that weill likely apply to both the 5770 and the 6970...

I am currently planning on doing a GTX580 SLI setup in order to properly power this beast, so I can use the highest settings and some AA in all titles :)

I can understand why some people have problems with the AG coating, reading text on a white background. It doesn't bug me that much thankfully.

I've never even noticed the AG coating on mine.

Zarathustra[H];1036854455 said:
I am currently planning on doing a GTX580 SLI setup in order to properly power this beast, so I can use the highest settings and some AA in all titles :)

I've never even noticed the AG coating on mine.

My plan was to see if a single 6970 could power it, and if it can't the new system I'm building will be able to handle the second card easily. I don't usually play a lot of newer games but I remember even at 1680x1050 the 5770 sometimes stuttered in games like Ghostbusters and DoW2.

I have to literally look for the AG to even notice it, but it is most noticeable with text on a white background. I've noticed that the closer I am to the screen the more noticeable it is so I might push the monitor back as far as I can... not only for the AG, but simply because its so wonderfully huge.

I have a pair of soon-to-be-SLI'd 1GB GTX 460's inbound. I'm hoping they'll be able to feed this monster well enough. I'm not expecting to run games maxed or anything, but I know my current 4850 512MB need not suffer the indignity.

damnnnnnnnnnnnnit. I canceled my order. I budgeted and can afford the monitor but something inside me was having trouble justifying the price (saving up for grad school).. already have a 2410 that I feel "cozy" with. Whenever I play games though, I sometimes wish the size would be bigger and I'm sure the 30" would blow me away. Hope I can join the club in the future!!!

damnnnnnnnnnnnnit. I canceled my order. I budgeted and can afford the monitor but something inside me was having trouble justifying the price (saving up for grad school).. already have a 2410 that I feel "cozy" with. Whenever I play games though, I sometimes wish the size would be bigger and I'm sure the 30" would blow me away. Hope I can join the club in the future!!!

If size is your major concern and you are happy with 1920x1080 you could always go with a HDTV for less money. Just do your research up front to make sure you get one on which text doesn't look like crap

Zarathustra[H];1036855577 said:
If size is your major concern and you are happy with 1920x1080 you could always go with a HDTV for less money. Just do your research up front to make sure you get one on which text doesn't look like crap

yeah, that's true. I'll have to do some research

I was looking at maybe a 3007wpf-hc too, but hard to find at the price range I'd like to pay for it which is maybe around $600.. Ppl here want 800 and 900 for their 3007 monitors which don't have warranty either

I just got mine in about 5:30 this evening. After getting everything hooked up, I was happy to find no dead, or bright pixels, or dark pixels. I got a revision A001. The screen coating is about the same as the LG W2452T screen I already have, so that did not bother me.

When I first seen it, I felt like the dad in the Christmas Story movie when he first turned on the Leg Lamp. I love it, but I need to get used to how much screen space I have now, its kind of baron.

Is there a site to learn how to read the calibration report Dell sent with the monitor?

I am using mine with a single 6950 (I still haven't unlocked the shaders).

I can play PES 2011, Medal of Honor (the new one) at 2560x1600 all settings high. For other games, I plan to turn down a few settings. I think I'll be happy with this card for a bit.

yeah, that's true. I'll have to do some research

I was looking at maybe a 3007wpf-hc too, but hard to find at the price range I'd like to pay for it which is maybe around $600.. Ppl here want 800 and 900 for their 3007 monitors which don't have warranty either

You will be able to play everything just fine. There will be a few games like Crysis, and Metro you will have to turn things down a little, but it will look good.

I was looking at older models on Ebay, but they were going for 850.00 and up, and like you said, no warranty. Thats why I was all over the new one with the coupon like a fat kid with a snickers bar. Most places want another 80-100.00 just to ship it. Factor that in, the U3011 deal is darn attractive.

Yeah dude.. Ppl want 3007/8 for 800-1k.. I can get a refurb u3011 for 1k but I can get a new one for 1160 shipped (CA TAX makes it higher than other ppl with 25% off).. I'd rather just pay the 160 for the 3 yr warranty imo.

I just sold a crapload of my stuff that I never use like ipods, gps watch, laptop, etc and now I have money to justify the u3011 again.. Gaming is probably the main purpose but I could really use the huge real estate to do my research papers.. I keep going back and forth in my decision :(

Thx guys for the input, if I do keep the monitor, then I will try out the 6950 single at first

Back