Dell U2713HM

WHY would you want to use HDMI on a freaking PC monitor? Thats like using VGA on a pc monitor.

It's actually worse then VGA on my monitor (S24A350H). But when you buy a monitor that only has VGA or HDMI, you kind of feel cheated when you find out by testing that you can't use your HDMI, and you have to stick to VGA(is actually looking worse). And you kind of start asking yourself, "shouldn't I have remained with my old monitor so I don't have to downgrade from DVI to VGA?"

Because video cards generally use HDMI 1.2 and not 1.4. Seriously, WHY would you want to use HDMI on a freaking PC monitor? Thats like using VGA on a pc monitor. Its for bigscreens and consoles - not good displays. I cringe every time I hear of someone wanting to use that crap on a 2560x screen.

What's wrong with HDMI for 1920 x 1080 or 1200? Or for 2560 x 1440 if it supports it?

Has anyone looked into the marketing/price point behind this? They release this model a few months (I assume) before the replacement for the 2711 but what is sinister is that they price this one ABOVE the 2711 knowing people are looking for a new screen from dell. ..
Yeah, it seems like U2713 should be cheaper than U2711. It has a standard W-LED backlight, 8-bit panel, 8-bit LUT and fewer inputs, which is cheaper to produce than wide gamut CCFL, 8-bit + A-FRC (10-bit) panel and 12-bit LUT. I know the monitor is still new and prices will go down, but in a similar situation, when Dell released U2412, it was definitely cheaper than U2410.

Because video cards generally use HDMI 1.2 and not 1.4. Seriously, WHY would you want to use HDMI on a freaking PC monitor? Thats like using VGA on a pc monitor. Its for bigscreens and consoles - not good displays. I cringe every time I hear of someone wanting to use that crap on a 2560x screen.

Displayport is the best connectivity option for montiors anyway - has more bandwidth / features than any HDMI spec.

Does my reason matter? I know for sure my video card supports HDMI 1.4. I've confirmed it can do 2560x1440 at 60hz anyway (probably can do a higher refresh since that's still well under the 340mhz limit of 1.4). The picture was identical to what I got out of displayport.

If you must know, I am forced to use HDMI if I want to drive more than one of these, which is something I'd be interested in doing. I returned the microcenter display because the colors just looked really bad compared to my other IPS panels, even after calibration. So this dell is something I'd be interested in since the prices should come down.

And seriously, what's wrong with HDMI if it supports the proper resolution?

Last edited:
I was definitely getting 2560x1440 - no scaling whatsoever. Picture was identical to what I got over displayport. HDMI definitely supports it - the signal is 340MHz - should allow for slightly higher resolutions than dual links at 165MHz. Admittedly there aren't many devices that support it. But the $400 micro center monitor definitely does. So I was hoping someone tried on this dell

Some simple math would show 4k at 24hz needs about the same bandwidth than 2560x1440 at 60hz. Under HDMI's limit either way at 8-bit color.

Edit:
Found this - U2711 running at 2560x1440@60Hz over HDMI by using a hacked driver. So it is plausible that the U2713 natively supports it. Maybe

Was this hacked driver on your Radeon 5870 or another card?

Thanks!

Was this hacked driver on your Radeon 5870 or another card?

Thanks!

That U2711 picture isnt mine. And I think the hacked driver was in reference to the monitor driver (basically bypassing the EDID I guess). Your video card would still need to support >165MHz over HDMI. Unless the ports can be over clocked? Idk

I tested the HDMI on my laptop. So GT650M. I would imagine any 6-series nvidia can do it (maybe some older ones too). I've got two thunderbolt/displayport outs and 1 HDMI. I typically use one of the thunderbolts for Ethernet when I'm docked at a desk, so I need HDMI if I want to drive two displays.

The desktop I'm not concerned about since I have two dual link DVIs and a displayport... But I don't use the desktop much these days either.

That U2711 picture isnt mine. And I think the hacked driver was in reference to the monitor driver (basically bypassing the EDID I guess). Your video card would still need to support >165MHz over HDMI. Unless the ports can be over clocked? Idk

I tested the HDMI on my laptop. So GT650M. I would imagine any 6-series nvidia can do it (maybe some older ones too). I've got two thunderbolt/displayport outs and 1 HDMI. I typically use one of the thunderbolts for Ethernet when I'm docked at a desk, so I need HDMI if I want to drive two displays.

The desktop I'm not concerned about since I have two dual link DVIs and a displayport... But I don't use the desktop much these days either.

I'm asking because my laptop is HDMI and VGA out only, but has a GTX 580m adapter, though I'm not sure it's HDMI 1.4.

I'll see if I can get access to my friend's U2711 and find out by setting a custom resolution in the card's driver. As Gatehouse mentioned earlier, the scalers may not be the same chip, but that might not mean that much in this case, as both the U2711 and U2731HM HAVE scalers.

Thanks!

I remember when the U2410 came out. It was out in asia and europe about 1 month before the usa which was odd...

Local assembly issues? Maybe deliveries of panels were delayed to Mexico (or wherever Dell's displays for the North American market are assembled)

Most people will still say the U2711 is superior due to the extended colour space and 10 bit vs 8 bit.

I can't wait for all of the U2711 vs U2713 & 10 vs 8 bit threads even though the U2713 is a superior display for the 99%. I want to know if it is actually semi-glossy or not, it should be really obvious for reviewers to out right say so.

Has anyone looked into the marketing/price point behind this? They release this model a few months (I assume) before the replacement for the 2711 but what is sinister is that they price this one ABOVE the 2711 knowing people are looking for a new screen from dell.

These "sinister" deeds seem to only exist in your head.

Everything I see says these will be cheaper than the U2711.

For instance they are both Available from Dell UK:
http://www1.euro.dell.com/content/p...monitor_ultrasharp?c=uk&cs=ukbsdt1&l=en&s=bsd
U2711: £629
U2713: £509

2713 is already ~£450 inc. tax from German retailers, and the typically most competitive sellers don't even have it listed yet.

from Dell UK:

U2711: £629
U2713: £509
need to add 20% sales tax to those Dell direct prices, absolutely absurd pricing (as usual) from Dell UK

2713 is already ~£450 inc. tax from German retailers, and the typically most competitive sellers don't even have it listed yet.

need to add 20% sales tax to those Dell direct prices, absolutely absurd pricing (as usual) from Dell UK

20% tax? that has to be an international tax or something fuckin a thats insane

Am I dreaming?

TFT central review:
The screen coating on the U2713HM is a normal anti-glare (AG) offering. This is contrary to a lot of other screens using variants of the LM270WQ1 panel which offer a glossy screen coating. Readers will be pleased to hear though that the AG coating is actually nice and light and is not the usual grainy and aggressive solution you would normally find on an IPS panel. In fact in practice it is almost what you might call a semi-gloss coating being quite similar to AU Optronics AMVA offerings. Dell seem to have toned down the AG coating which is great news. It retains its anti-glare properties to avoid unwanted reflections, but does not produce an overly grainy or dirty image that some AG coatings can.

Do they have £ in Germany? :p
They might want to consider it when the Euro collapses in entirely.

Anyway, I used the ~ symbol because I don't know how to type ≈. I used £ because the comparison was with the UK early adopters tax prices stated earlier in the thread and to address the issue of price vs the U2711. If folk are unable to convert, the best prices in Germany are a little below €580 (inc. 19% MwSt) and typically a little under €600.

Last edited:
OK, I take back my earlier comments, this looks like it could indeed by a great monitor despite the non-glossy panel. I really wish I could see one in person before purchasing, though!

What I find striking is the difference between the brightness measurements of Prad and TFT Central. Prad's display was significantly brighter at maximum brightness (100%) (Prad: 431 cd/m² vs. TFT Central: 319.2 cd/m²), as well as at minimum brightness (0%) (Prad: 52 cd/m² vs. TFT Central: 19.5 cd/m²).

This is unfortunate, as I was actually pleased with the low brightness levels (and corresponding black point) that TFT Central's monitor could obtain. When seeing movies in a darkened room, lower levels of luminance do make the difference between greyish blacks (and relatively bright whites) and deep blacks. If both measurements are correct, there seems to be quite some variance between different panels. Definitely something I want to learn more about in additional (user) reviews.

(For those interested, the other results on Prad.de are very similar to those on TFT Central)

IPS very a lot, expect to see reviews of models with much lower contrast, +/- brightness, bad gamma & plenty of back-light bleeding once these become widely available

Negative outlook=no disappointment & nice surprises :)

Last edited:
I love my korean monitor. But as always you get what you pay for:

Even if only one bright pixel is found on our select range of monitors, a free panel exchange is guaranteed during the Limited Hardware Warranty period. See pixel panel info located on Dell.com for complete details

I would take any measurements taken from a European site with a grain of salt. It is not uncommon for US sites to find strikingly large differences compared to their European counterparts. Often the screens are not made in the same country and differ.

What I find striking is the difference between the brightness measurements of Prad and TFT Central. Prad's display was significantly brighter at maximum brightness (100%) (Prad: 431 cd/m² vs. TFT Central: 319.2 cd/m²), as well as at minimum brightness (0%) (Prad: 52 cd/m² vs. TFT Central: 19.5 cd/m²).

This is unfortunate, as I was actually pleased with the low brightness levels (and corresponding black point) that TFT Central's monitor could obtain. When seeing movies in a darkened room, lower levels of luminance do make the difference between greyish blacks (and relatively bright whites) and deep blacks. If both measurements are correct, there seems to be quite some variance between different panels. Definitely something I want to learn more about in additional (user) reviews.

(For those interested, the other results on Prad.de are very similar to those on TFT Central)
Also the contrast fluctuated in tftcentral' review as the brighness changed, while in prad's review it remained steady at all the brightness levels... So I think it is rather a different approach to testing and... expressing of the measurements. The IPS panels are very similar to each other in terms of brightness and contrast levels especially when they come from the same supply, at least judging by the u2412m monitor. I had the rev00 of that display and then I tried several rev03 displays and all of them had almost exactly the same contrast ratio values. I didn't measure max brightness on them, but I think it was the same on all models too.

Anyway, I ordered one today and I expect it to arrive in approximately 2 weeks. (I want it to be tested in UK before shipment)

Also the contrast fluctuated in tftcentral' review as the brighness changed

Not really. That is essentially stable.

You have to take into account measurement/round-off errors. With only two decimal places in the dark values, round off is going to feed significant error into the final number.

Not really. That is essentially stable.

You have to take into account measurement/round-off errors. With only two decimal places in the dark values, round off is going to feed significant error into the final number.

887-926 is bit of fluctuation. In Prad's review it was 970 with less fluctioation, no figures but the line on the graph seems a bit more linear than on tftcentral's graph... So that's 907:1 vs 970:1. I agree that is more about measurement/round-off errors than panel lottery.

Look at one sample:
74.1 0.08 926

The biggest source of errors will be in the dark value. Just on rounding alone .08 is somewhere between .075 to .084. We don't actually know the real value because of rounding.
74.1/.084 = 882.
74.1/.075 = 988

So the real value just on rounding errors alone on that that one measurement is 882-988.

So all of these "fluctuations" can easily be explained as well within the range of rounding errors. This is completely stable contrast over the brightness range.

Last edited:
Don't get your hopes up for this screen. mospider, a user in the German forum hardwareluxx.de posted a picture of a ZR2440 next to the U2713:

GUhoE.jpg

Beautiful, isn't it? (Pun intended.)

It might be this screen is just off, but from what I've seen the last couple of months pictures taken by users showing backlight bleed never come close to pictures taken by review sites.

IPS-panel woes. :) Thats how many of the 23" IPS (and Samsungs 24" PLS) panels looks like. Now its just a question how Dell deals with it. Cut prices to korean monitor level or improve quality control and/or use only higher grade panels.

What, you never seen an uneven panel before? Happens to all IPS screens everywhere. But the panels at both reviews were fine and Dell has very good return policy and you can exchange it if you get an uneven one.

People are really struggling to find reasons to complain.

There is already a post on TFT Central from someone who has a panel with too much light bleed and wants to return it. They did say that it's better than the U2711 that it replaces, aside from the bleed.

In Germany we have the "Fernabsatzgesetz". It allows consumers to return goods purchased via the internet within 14 days of delivery for a full refund, no questions asked, as long as the goods are still in mint condition and nothing is missing from the package.

This law was made so people could take a good look at things, just as they could do if they bought from a store. Lots of people abuse this law however by ordering items and keeping swapping them until they get one version they like. This is especially true for TFTs.

The reason I'm telling you this is simple. Although we can return and exchange things easily, doing so frequently will increase prices. Some retailers even refuse closing deals with people that have a bad history with them.

If it would force the manufacturers to have an eye on the quality of their goods in the long run I'd order 5 2713 right away and keep the one I like best, but as it stands currently, it only hurts the retailers while the manufacturers don't give a rat's ass.

Ordering from Dell directly and paying 100 bucks more is exactly 100 bucks spent so some idiots can keep returning their screens with no cost to Dell themselves.

Back