Dell U2713HM

Ew, no the U2412 is superior to the U2410 which has terrible contrast and poor sRGB emulation. The U2711 has slightly better contrast and sRGB emulation than the U2410

the 2410 is better then the 2412. these monitors are mostly for professional web editors, photographers, CAD workers etc. the 2412 bests the 2410 is some areas but the 2410 is the superior monitor for the color gamut alone. obviously the 2412 is better for somebody like me though, where contrast ratio matters and color gamut doesnt.

anyways. I understand most of your concerns with the AGC.. and I'm not saying they shouldn't have other options for customers like yourself. I'm just saying the AGC doesn't bother me and I'm sure it doesn't bother a lot of other people. I always used matte monitors before never glossy so the sharpness of the AGC was still a vast leap up in comparison.

If you had a glossy monitor and went to AGC I could definitely see it being an issue as there is an apparent difference in sharpness.

I'm more bothered with eventual backlight bleed issues. It seems to be pretty common with new LED IPS monitors.

Personally I never play in a pitch black room, it hurts my eyes :p but even if the room is dark I haven't seen this

I'm sitting back and waiting for reviews to come in on it. I'm using a u2410 right now and in no rush to replace it. Just wanna go bigger sooner rather then later.

Yep, using an old 2407WFP-HC which is still a very nice monitor but is definitely on the slow side. Very interested in this as glossy doesn't work for me and if the price is right this will be my choice.

im also using a 2410 and im bored to hell, just waiting the first reviews to decide between this and the 3011. c'mon someone buy the damn thing and post pics and video and everything goddammit! :mad: :D

Damn it, I wish the info on the AG coating and U.S. price would come out for this already. I know I've been bashing the AG coating on the U2711 here, but it is available for $630 on Newegg Business right now (10% coupon code), and at that price it is rather tempting.

Damn it, I wish the info on the AG coating and U.S. price would come out for this already. I know I've been bashing the AG coating on the U2711 here, but it is available for $630 on Newegg Business right now (10% coupon code), and at that price it is rather tempting.

Here you go:
Dell U2713M

Panel Type, Surface:
In-plane switching, anti glare with hard coat 3H

Price $799

bah, did a search and most of the topics pointed to here lol. fuck, no info yet? i'll give it until monday otherwise i'll go 3011. i never liked 16:9 on desktops, is even worse on notebooks, but this monitor would cost exactly half of the price of the 3011 over here so..well, that gives it a certain appeal. i regret not getting the 3011 on the moment i took the 2410 out of the box, almost two years ago.

The reviewer in this video states it is the same anti-glare coating as the 2711 monitor.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AJ7-j0ctTV0

No thanks, Dell. I guess I am a rarity in that I don't enjoy sparkle induced headaches, and actually like my whites to white.

I wouldn't base his review as fact. He does not have the monitor in hand and sounds like all he was doing was just reading off the specs from Dell's website.

The reviewer in this video states it is the same anti-glare coating as the 2711 monitor.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AJ7-j0ctTV0

No thanks, Dell. I guess I am a rarity in that I don't enjoy sparkle induced headaches, and actually like my whites to white.

I wish they would hear you and the others like me.

But trust me, unless they find a better coating solution for office use, where is usually a lot of light, they will not sell a monitor without a coating, ever.

I don't think they are ever going to find a way to create a removable/replaceable coating, cause that would mean even more space between the actual pixels and the coating, creating even more eyes problems.

EDIT:
How hard is to understand the fact that a coating acts like a visible layer that is very close to the pixels but not EXACTLY on the pixels, making your eyes keep focusing between the 2 different layers creating headaches and eyes strain?

How hard is to understand that in order to focus your eyes on the image that you notice on a glossy screen you need a huge amount of "eyes focus adjustment" that can't be done "by mistake" contrary to the AG coating case?

Last edited:
I've made up my mind to get a U2412HM, to replace my ageing Benq x2200w Monitor.
Wasn't really all that much wanting to go 16:9.

The point is that I don't get how the Dells have such a seemingly reflective AG coating as well as the sparkly effect, when my old BENQ has less sparkly effect, less reflection, and very sharp text.
Is this (the Dell) a by product of the IPS screens or what?

I've made up my mind to get a U2412HM,

The point is that I don't get how the Dells have such a seemingly reflective AG coating as well as the sparkly effect

If you hate the LG IPS AG layer, might you prefer one of the Samsung S24A850DW (1920×1200) or S27A850T? The penalty will be slightly lower contrast and slightly slower pixel response, but it seems like a good compromise for you?

Last edited:
I wish they would hear you and the others like me.

But trust me, unless they find a better coating solution for office use, where is usually a lot of light, they will not sell a monitor without a coating, ever.

I don't think they are ever going to find a way to create a removable/replaceable coating, cause that would mean even more space between the actual pixels and the coating, creating even more eyes problems.

LG seemingly managed removable AG coating on that 27" 1080p they just released. At least based on a user's review here -- the one where he simply peeled off the AG coating layer (plastic), from the glass.

The thing I have difficulty understanding isn't the need for an AG coating. Or glossy vs matte. It's the super heavy AG coating they use. For years they used a standard coating in office settings and was fine with it. Yeah, there will be some sparkle from standard AG coating too (looking at a monitor with it now), but it's certainly more acceptable to me than super heavy coating that makes whites look grey, and everything covered in dust.

Unless they expect offices nowadays to have such bright lighting that it looks like an operating room, or spotlights shining right into cubicles, I don't quite understand the reasoning.

I'm lucky, on my 2410 I dont see any sprakles but If i did what other 27inch high rez screen is there for me to look at.

i see from TFTCentral's twitter feed that the U2713HM arrived with them now and they've already confirmed it's using a light AG coating, and not as heavy a the U2711. good news!

i see from TFTCentral's twitter feed that the U2713HM arrived with them now and they've already confirmed it's using a light AG coating, and not as heavy a the U2711. good news!

That's good to hear. Looking forward to their review!

Simon is hoping to have TFT Central's review up within a week, so there's not long to wait for some words in English + test data on contrast, colour, lag etc.

Well this comment from Simon at Overclockers.UK sounds promising:

"U2713HM with me now. i can tell you it's using a light AG coating which is almost a semi-gloss appearance, a bit like an AMVA panel Not nearly a heavy and grainy as the U2711 or other U series IPS models."

LUT in this display is limited to 8 bit Processing/Input, which seems not suitable for many color critical applications.

People who need displays for colour critical applications don't buy Dell's, they buy NEC or Eizo so it's a non issue.

I'll just sum some things up from PRAD's review

http://www.prad.de/new/monitore/test/2012/test-dell-u2713hm.html#Einleitung

+Great colour presets
+Good default contrast 970:1
+Good ergonomics
+Excellent Viewing Angles
+Low Pixel Response times (as low as the 850D) but there is some streaking or overshoot
+Input lag is 15ms, this is lower than most other IPS with scalers, for example the Achieva Shimian Multi they reviewed had a 19ms delay.
-no 24p playback for blu-rays on external devices, this is normal though. My CrossOver 2720MDP supports 24p but my S27A850D does not

I'd really like to compare the anti-glare on one of these to my 850D. Since it's not semi-glossy it will still be noticeably grainy.

Well this comment from Simon at Overclockers.UK sounds promising:

"U2713HM with me now. i can tell you it's using a light AG coating which is almost a semi-gloss appearance, a bit like an AMVA panel Not nearly a heavy and grainy as the U2711 or other U series IPS models."

That makes two reports from reviewers with panels in hand.

Looks like LG might have finally changed the AG coating. I am wondering if this will be the normal coating for all new LG panels.

A 30" U3013, with sRGB native WLED backlighting, with light AG could perk up my interest in a new monitor. Any improvements in IPS glow would seal the deal. I do find IPS glow a bit annoying on 30" panels.

circuit delay + average time/pixel response to change frame?

Circuit delay=input lag

If we went by the "total lag," (circuit delay + average time/pixel response to change frame) value then the BenQ A-MVA (BL/EW/VW) and original Samsung C-PVA panels would feel laggier than pretty much everything since they have pixel response times >25ms+<4ms circuit delay. In reality they are very responsive feeling displays with lots of visible ghosting.

LUT in this display is limited to 8 bit Processing/Input, which seems not suitable for many color critical applications.

The video input is 8 bit and the panel input is 8 bit. What would a lookup table with more than 8 bits bring you?
What does a LUT bring you anyway? Just use the videocard.

+Input lag is 15ms, this is lower than most other IPS with scalers, for example the Achieva Shimian Multi they reviewed had a 19ms delay.

Scaling isn't related to IPS at all, is it?
Doesn't the U2312 have much less lag anyway?
They should create a scaler without lag.

The video input is 8 bit and the panel input is 8 bit. What would a lookup table with more than 8 bits bring you?
Precise and lossless transformations of the input signal. Particularly interesting in combination with an extensive OSD or hardware calibration.

What does a LUT bring you anyway? Just use the videocard.
There is always some kind of displayinternal LUT even when looking at pure DisplayPort only devices without OSD. The native panelcharacteristic must be corrected.

Best regards

Denis

Last edited:
Precise and lossless transformations of the input signal. Particularly interesting in combination with an extensive OSD or hardware calibration.

There is always some kind of displayinternal LUT even when looking at pure DisplayPort only devices without OSD. The native panelcharacteristic must be corrected.

Best regards

Denis

With 14/16 bit internal display LUT (EIZO/NEC) and 8 bit output, what you can get is 100% grayscale on variety of gamma curves.
calibrationcurvesp241w1.png

A few new scalers from STMicro are now available for preview/evaluation instead of mass production.

You may find some new features here: http://www.st.com/internet/imag_video/subclass/991.jsp

Last edited:
Back