Dell U2515H

Just a sanity check question for the ' on-off" complainers:

Were you using the monitor driver from Dell's website?:confused:

Because this monitor is "plug and pray" until one installs the correct driver.

Here's a dumb question.

Do the HDMI inputs do the full 1440p from a PC? YES

And Do they scale if there were a console hooked up?YES, tested with a ps3.

The 3.5mm jack is an audio out, right? Yea, you're right.

Thanks!

Answers in bold;)

I'm having an issue with fuzzy text in some applications (7-zip, app installers, steam sort of, etc) but the desktop, chrome, system windows look great. I've had WQHD monitors before and never noticed this. Any ideas?

Windows 8.1
Dell driver installed
Ran through the cleartype calibration

Thanks!

I'm having an issue with fuzzy text in some applications (7-zip, app installers, steam sort of, etc) but the desktop, chrome, system windows look great. I've had WQHD monitors before and never noticed this. Any ideas?

Windows 8.1
Dell driver installed
Ran through the cleartype calibration

If you aren't using the native/full resolution, you will always have fuzzy text. If you are using the native/full resolution with font scaling, then you'll get fuzzy text in applications that are not high-DPI aware. In Windows 8.1, only applications built for high-DPI monitors look good with font scaling. Windows 10 improves font scaling somewhat. MacOSX has the best font scaling.

If you aren't using the native/full resolution, you will always have fuzzy text.

That is not completely true. Integer resolutions scale well on LCDs.
2560x1440> 1280x720 is not fuzzy text, only bigger.
3840x2160>1920x1080;1280x720, not fuzzy as well

Damn, my U2515H started artifacting last night. I disconnected everything from the monitor but the power cord, and the artifacting still occurred on the OSD so that ruled out everything but the monitor itself. Today the artifacting was gone, so I used it for awhile, and then it started artifacting again. I guess it must be overheating. I'll call them tomorrow for an RMA. Edit: Looks like I have to wait until Monday to do the RMA. It only takes a few minutes for the artifacting to start again after it cools down.

Last edited:
Having actually gone through the process of replacing the monitor, I now know that a service tag is a number that is separate from a serial number. I did not have a service tag number on my U2515H. You might have one if you obtain it in a different way than I did, as a home user buying only the monitor itself with no other Dell equipment.

I can see now why having a service tag number is nice; without it, you can't do a live Internet chat 24/7 with Dell. I had to call voice during business hours.

The number for monitor tech support and replacement is 1-800-822-8965. Knowing this will save you from talking to several layers of tech support before talking to the right people. Once I got there, service was good; I talked to them on Tuesday and the monitor replacement kit arrived on Thursday.

Upon hearing that it was artifacting with nothing plugged in except the power cord, there wasn't any other questions or suggestions from them other than to exchange it for another one.

Has anyone compared the U2515h to the ASUS PB258Q?

I have had a U2515h for about two weeks now, but can not use it at full resolution as my video card is dual link DVI only and adapting to HDMI limits res to 2048x1152 (my issue here: http://hardforum.com/showthread.php?t=1866673 )

My priorities are static image quality (i.e. not gaming), color accuracy (i will hardware calibrate), reasonable IPS glow and ability to set brightness to below 120 cd/m2

Last edited:
1- force an hdmi resolution of 2560x1440@60Hz using Toasty's CRU, you will need an HDMI 1.4 port, NOT a DVI>HDMi adapter

Just a sanity check question for the ' on-off" complainers:

Were you using the monitor driver from Dell's website?:confused:

Because this monitor is "plug and pray" until one installs the correct driver.

I haven't installed the driver for the U2515H and haven't had any issues with DP. I've used both Windows 8.1 and Windows 10 and haven't had a single occurrence of the on off issue.

Just got mine yesterday and so far I'm loving how crisp things looked. Using color settings that TFT central used during calibration testing. I've waited around 4 years to go 2560 x 1440 & really wish I could have sooner. Really nice to have some desktop real estate.

Manufacture date of Jan. 2015

My replacement monitor is Rev A01, manufacture date Dec. 2014, and when I asked, the tech support said something unclear about how A01 may have fixed overheating issues, which looked like the problem I was having. No problems with the replacement so far. I didn't even have to pay for shipping either way.

1- force an hdmi resolution of 2560x1440@60Hz using Toasty's CRU, you will need an HDMI 1.4 port, NOT a DVI>HDMi adapter

Where you referring to my issue? My graphic card only has DVI dual link output. The U2515h will take 2560x1440 input via HDMI without a custom mode, but no DVI->HDMI cable can not support the bandwidth.

Hey guys, Just wanted to ask a few questions here:

I have been looking for a good monitor for 9 months and having tested over 10 monitors so far I wanted to find out a bit of information about the Dell U2515h. Last week I decided to try the S2415h which is a 24 inch glossy 1080p Monitor from Dell and is PWM free with VGA and HDMI input. I'm using the HDMI input and it seems this monitor also has the same old issue that seems to effect all dell monitor by reporting it self as a HDTV and outputting the wrong colour range 16-255. This issue can be resolved now with the latest Nvidia drivers because you can simply select the correct colour range from the NVIDIA control panel under the resolution section, However I wanted to know if the Dell U2515h also suffers from the same problem and how is the IPS glow and backlight bleed like.

Few people mentioned that their display has an issue with one half being lighter and the other suffering from a yellow tint, well the same can be said for my S2415h although is not very easy to notice but if you open a white background you can tell the right hand side is a bit warmer/yellow vs. the left. I suffer a bit of BLB on the left corner but is not that bad vs. some of the other monitors I have seen in the past however on the bottom right hand side you have a nice IPS glow coming in based on the viewing distance from the screen.

What I really like to know is how are some of the issues I mentioned here on the U2515h and also can you game at 1080p rather then the native 1440p and will it be very blurry and bad, the reason I ask this is due to the fact that I currently have 2x GTX 780 in SLI and I have a feeling games like witcher 3 will have a hard time keeping 60 FPS at 1440p.

Thanks for all your feedback.

Has anyone transitioned from a 24" 1920x1200 monitor to this 25" for productivity work (not gaming)? If so, what are your thoughts? Thanks.

I did and I am very happy. Went from 2x U2410s to 2x U2515Hs and am very happy. The sharpness, the ability to have more screen 'real estate' was well worth it. The physical sizes are nearly the same too.

Anyone else seeing terrible burn in on the u2515h? Two arrived today and after a couple hours one of them has permanent outlines of windows and text already.

Anyone else seeing terrible burn in on the u2515h? Two arrived today and after a couple hours one of them has permanent outlines of windows and text already.

None at all here, but I've had bad very luck with image retention in the past with LG panels -- with both Dell and Apple displays. If you bought it from Dell, exchanging it is easy with Advanced Exchange Service.

None at all here, but I've had bad very luck with image retention in the past with LG panels -- with both Dell and Apple displays. If you bought it from Dell, exchanging it is easy with Advanced Exchange Service.

For all the problems I've encountered with LG panels, or any LCD panel, I've never had one with image persistence until now.

They both have terrible image persistence at this point and the LCD conditioning option in the OSD does little if anything to help. Its a shame since no dead/stuck pixels, none of the usual hit or miss tint across one half the screen and for once in my life it seems like no backlight bleed or damn close to it. I was very impressed for the money up until the burn in.

Pondering if I should just grab the U3415W at this point as I find the far left and right rather awkward requiring moving my head around or shifting in my seat.

You have not one, but two with burn-in? That's very weird. What's the manufacture date? What brightness setting are you using?

You have not one, but two with burn-in? That's very weird. What's the manufacture date? What brightness setting are you using?

Yep, one just took about twice as long to burn in. Feb and Mar, both A01.

Brightness 21, ~120cd/m2

So with different manufacture dates, they're not even in the same batch. I guess you just have insanely bad luck? I don't what environmental causes would cause burn-in, or what a user might do to cause it. Are they sitting in direct sunlight all day long?

So with different manufacture dates, they're not even in the same batch. I guess you just have insanely bad luck? I don't what environmental causes would cause burn-in, or what a user might do to cause it. Are they sitting in direct sunlight all day long?

Well the one I have on the left from Feb definitely suffers less from the image persistence than the Mar one on the right. World of difference in the intensity of the overlaid windows/text – I can clearly read whats burned in.

Blinds are closed generally all day and I have eastern exposure so there is only a brief period of light in the early morning. Usage patterns are typical programming and design – lots of windows infrequently moving (IDE, browser, dev tools, terminals, another browser with docs) with a lot of static and infrequently changing bits in the UI. Never encountered image persistence on any of my previous LCDs with the same usage pattern which were almost all IPS panels and a few PVA (ugh, never again) after the last of my trinitrons died.

Bad luck is probably reasonable. It took three ACDs before I got one without any stuck pixels and the first had six all clustered in a circle around the center. Then again I had 12 nvidia cards all die between a couple months to a year over about a 5 year period of endless RMAs back when they had issues with the solder and heating/cooling cycles. ;)

I've put in return requests and not sure if I want to go for another pair of u2515hs and see if my luck fairs better or the u3415w at this point. Its about the same width as two 1920x1200 panels I've been using at the other office but so much less than the 5120x1440 two of these provide.

For all the problems I've encountered with LG panels, or any LCD panel, I've never had one with image persistence until now.

They both have terrible image persistence at this point and the LCD conditioning option in the OSD does little if anything to help. Its a shame since no dead/stuck pixels, none of the usual hit or miss tint across one half the screen and for once in my life it seems like no backlight bleed or damn close to it. I was very impressed for the money up until the burn in.

Pondering if I should just grab the U3415W at this point as I find the far left and right rather awkward requiring moving my head around or shifting in my seat.

I've had quite a few displays with image retention. I went through several iMacs in a row with very strong retention that wouldn't go away -- like what you are describing -- so I exchanged for a 27" ACD, which also had retention. I then exchanged for a U2713HM, which also had retention, but it was so soft that I could only see it when testing for it on a grey screen.

Since then I've had better luck and my last several Dell displays with LG panels have not had any hint of retention -- even when testing for it.

I posted a thread with pictures on MacRumors and quite a few others had the same issue with that panel as well.
http://forums.macrumors.com/threads/my-2012-27-inch-imac-has-image-retention.1509571/

I've had quite a few displays with image retention. I went through several iMacs in a row with very strong retention that wouldn't go away -- like what you are describing -- so I exchanged for a 27" ACD, which also had retention. I then exchanged for a U2713HM, which also had retention, but it was so soft that I could only see it when testing for it on a grey screen.

Since then I've had better luck and my last several Dell displays with LG panels have not had any hint of retention -- even when testing for it.

I posted a thread with pictures on MacRumors and quite a few others had the same issue with that panel as well.
http://forums.macrumors.com/threads/my-2012-27-inch-imac-has-image-retention.1509571/

Perhaps I've been lucky in that regard. I figured image persistence was long since eliminated as its been so long since I've seen it on anything other than plasmas.

That is basically exactly what I see but on one I can clearly read the text that is persistent its so strong.

Does it normally take days for dell to issue return labels and instructions? I put in a request Wednesday and all I've received is the "we will call you" response yesterday.

I'll miss the extra space compared to a single 2560x1440 or 2x 1920x1200 thats for sure.

Perhaps I've been lucky in that regard. I figured image persistence was long since eliminated as its been so long since I've seen it on anything other than plasmas.

That is basically exactly what I see but on one I can clearly read the text that is persistent its so strong.

Does it normally take days for dell to issue return labels and instructions? I put in a request Wednesday and all I've received is the "we will call you" response yesterday.

I'll miss the extra space compared to a single 2560x1440 or 2x 1920x1200 thats for sure.

Yeah, I returned a desktop last year and they never responded to my RMA request through the order status page. I had to call Dell to get the label sent to me and it was emailed to me quickly after that.

I bought this monitor and I have the tint issue: yellow to white, left to right. :(

A01 - manufactured in Febuary.

That tint looks quite bad, try changing the color temp preset, gamma etc. or change the RGB levels (lower green and red and leave blue at 100) use it for approx 100 hours and if the tint is still there I would return it.

Does this actually work? How low should I go on red and green?

Hi all,

I received my U2515H yesterday, and truth be told have no major gripes with its performance. Only issue is a slightly white dot at the bottom due to the backlight diffuser, however that's not enough of an issue itself to send it back.

However, my unit does have a quiet, but definitely distinguishable whine from the power supply. I'm trying to determine whether this is something that'll prove to be unavoidable, or whether I should swap this unit out. Hence my question, does anybody else have even a slight whine from their U2515H?

Thanks all :)

Hi all,

I received my U2515H yesterday, and truth be told have no major gripes with its performance. Only issue is a slightly white dot at the bottom due to the backlight diffuser, however that's not enough of an issue itself to send it back.

However, my unit does have a quiet, but definitely distinguishable whine from the power supply. I'm trying to determine whether this is something that'll prove to be unavoidable, or whether I should swap this unit out. Hence my question, does anybody else have even a slight whine from their U2515H?

Thanks all :)

No whine at any brightness level from the inverter on the two I received. I've run into a few displays with that in the past and it can be pretty annoying if you are in a quiet environment. I'd RMA it.

Is your dot in the very corner? I noticed all four corners have that on both of mine when displaying a black screen – doesn't seem noticeable otherwise. Seems to be just outside of the pixel grid as well like there is a little gap letting the light through.

I have this monitor as well and have had ZERO issues with it, perfect across the board. Though seeing others experience image retention bugs me, I had this happen on last year's Dell S model, only monitor that I've owned since the start of LCDs to have this happen. Seems like this is becoming a problem for Dell.

No whine at any brightness level from the inverter on the two I received. I've run into a few displays with that in the past and it can be pretty annoying if you are in a quiet environment. I'd RMA it.

Is your dot in the very corner? I noticed all four corners have that on both of mine when displaying a black screen – doesn't seem noticeable otherwise. Seems to be just outside of the pixel grid as well like there is a little gap letting the light through.

If you're talking about a pencil-sharp dot in each corner, that's probably something to do with the anti-glare coating. I'm talking about a white spot, but at the bottom on the panel itself. Barely noticeable.

Will definitely be RMAing, last thing I want is to buy a second unit that whines as well (eventually moving to two of these).

Thanks for the response :)

Have 4 of these at my desk at work. No image issues or power supply whining. Anyone think we'll ever see this drop to $300?

Have 4 of these at my desk at work. No image issues or power supply whining. Anyone think we'll ever see this drop to $300?

they are below that price in Europe. Would you mind sharing photos of your desk?:cool:

Is there a chance to receive a unit without color temperature uniformity issues and a factory calibration that is actually correlate with the report included in the package?

Does the panel itself differ in terms of quality compared with the 27" dell? Has anyone seen them both side by side?

Last edited:
Hey guys I have a couple of questions regarding this monitor and I be grateful if some of you can help answer:

1. So I own 2x GTX 780 in SLI which has 1x Display Port, 1x HDMI Port and 2x DVI-I and DVI-D ports, Now I like to have 3 of these screens in surround setup and I was wondering if I can connect the screens as the following, 1 Screen on Displayport, 1 on HDMI and 1 on HDMI to DVI using that type of cable?

2. Originally I was looking into buying 1080p screens due to the fact that I fear my GTX 780s will not handle games very well at 1440p with ultra settings, games such as Witcher 3 and so on and so I wanted to know how much dose the picture quality gets effected if I run some games in 1080p rather then the native 1440p, dose it look extremely bad or is it actually not too terrible?

3. Lastly wanted to know how is the general QA with these panels such as Lightbleed and Brightness uniformity and do you find the IPS glow very distracting on this panel?

Thank you in advanced for any feedback.

they are below that price in Europe. Would you mind sharing photos of your desk?:cool:

Where is this monitor below $300 in Europe? The lowest price for it right now according to compare.eu is 305 euro which is ~ $334.

Where is this monitor below $300 in Europe? The lowest price for it right now according to compare.eu is 305 euro which is ~ $334.

two of my friends got it for around 275€/300$ each but that was close to release of the monitor.
Prices went up since then unfortunately.

Hi I have a GTX 780 and I wanted to know if its possible to connected this screen via HDMI cable and achieve 1440p 60hz, thanks for your input.

Back