Dell U2412M

has anyone noticed the displayport being washed out as compared with DVI? Both of mine are. Had to go back to dvi - difference was pretty strong. Anyone know why that could be?

No not really but my test was very subjective. Macbook pro on display port and PC on the DVI.

Ordered mine yesterday. Can't wait to put it next to my U2410. My U2410 has been calibrated with the TFTcentral ICC/presets though so I expect a difference between the two. Still can't get myself to pay 200 euro's for a calibrator I'll use only once in a few years.

I just got mine today. Pretty happy with it, but having trouble calibrating it with my LG L246WH. The colors on the dell seem richer, and whites are much.. whiter. But, I feel like the colors in general are much darker on the dell, whereas the LG is more washed out looking.
Not sure which I prefer to be honest. I guess it takes some getting used to.

If you don't have hardware calibrator avaible you can try tftcentral Dell U2412M color profiles using DisplayProfile to switch quickly between them to find what profile works best for your monitor, also try changing color settings -> gamma from PC to MAC mode, it makes some huge difference in dark area details.

^ Given the variations I have found in my three ZR2440ws so far (which uses a very similar panel), using someone else's settings from a different system is quite pointless imho, eyeball calibration may yield better results than that.

You can always buy a calibrator and return it in 30 days at most places: not exactly the most ethical thing to do but given these guys charge $200 for what should be a $50 device (or there should be decent $50 alternatives), what can you do...

Yeah, I popped for a Spyder4 Elite and do feel kind of ripped off. It did do a great job on my monitors though, so I'll bite the bullet and keep it.

Bump:

I enabled service menu and turned on Overdrive. What should I do do disable access to service menu? (Power button backlight should change from orange to blue).

It doesn't help. Factory menu is still available after pushing first button on the top. I deaattach power cable for a few seconds. Power button is still orange.

has anyone noticed the displayport being washed out as compared with DVI? Both of mine are. Had to go back to dvi - difference was pretty strong. Anyone know why that could be?

Are you using two different machines to do it, or on the same machine?

Do most of the U2412M's have backlight bleed? I have 2 now that I just got. One has some in the upper right hand corner and the other is lower left corner. Should I even bother sending these back or is it a given that their will be some? I only see it on a all black screen like the boot screen or the loading screen of a game like BF3.

Mine has just the tiniest amount of edge bleed (to the point of being unnoticeable even in dark scenes and situations) - very uniform panel. Very happy with it. As to whether I'm just lucky or they're mostly good I don't know.

I just ordered this last night around 11pm. It'll be here tomorrow. That's with Amazon 2 day shipping. :D

I'm not sure about warranty. Amazon has been good to me about returns, so I just bought it from them. I got it today. Can't wait to hook this baby up and retire my 20" lcd. I have the money for another, but I want to see if I like 1920x1200. If I like it a lot I'm tempted to just buy 3 (total) and hook them up to each other for Eyefinity .

I'm not sure about warranty. Amazon has been good to me about returns, so I just bought it from them. I got it today. Can't wait to hook this baby up and retire my 20" lcd. I have the money for another, but I want to see if I like 1920x1200. If I like it a lot I'm tempted to just buy 3 (total) and hook them up to each other for Eyefinity .

Straight from Amazon said:
Product Description
24" DELL ULTRASHARP U2412M LCD Monitor.what's in the box: Dell U2412M Ultra Sharp 24 Inch LED Monitor, Stand, Power Cable, DVI Cable, USB Cable, VGA Cable, Safety Information, Quick Setup Guide, Drivers and Documentation Media and 3-Year Limited Warranty

it doesnt matter where you buy it.. you still get a manufacturers warranty

The monitor is beautiful, but I think I made the mistake of getting either a 24" lcd or getting one with 1920x1200 resolution lol. It just seems as if I'm too close to it, so probably too big of an lcd. I probably should have went with a 23" at biggest, but I'll get used to it as I'm stuck with it now. I was thinking of getting a 27" at one point, which I'm glad I didn't now. This is a huge upgrade from my 20" lcd.

I'm looking to pick up 3 of these fairly soon for a nice portrait eyefinity setup. I'm super excited.

I'm thinking about doing the same thing honestly. It is huge, but I think if it was portrait mode along with the new desk I'm going to build it'll be fine. I have my 20" to the side right now to make my computer class easier to do work on, but I told my wife I want another at least to have the same size montitor. She kinda rolled her eyes at me cause I just got this one, but she doesn't understand. :p. I figure why stop at 2, and just get 3 for Eyefinity. I just hope my 6970 can handle 3 of them, lol.

Thanks for the heads up on the warranty info. That'll be good to know if I ever need to return it.

The monitor is beautiful, but I think I made the mistake of getting either a 24" lcd or getting one with 1920x1200 resolution lol. It just seems as if I'm too close to it, so probably too big of an lcd. I probably should have went with a 23" at biggest, but I'll get used to it as I'm stuck with it now. I was thinking of getting a 27" at one point, which I'm glad I didn't now. This is a huge upgrade from my 20" lcd.

23" aren't typically much smaller, just wider aspect since they're usually 1080p instead of 1200... Either way it was gonna feel like a big step up from a 20" but it's the next logical step up. You'll get used to it, might have to rearrange your desk to have it a bit farther away tho (and/or at eye level, which helps avoid that gamer hunching).

I went with the U2412M for two reasons... A) already had a 1920x1200 TN display so I figured two U2412M weren't much of a gamble, if I hated Eyefinity I'd just sell the old TN and keep two Dells for productivity (had the TN + an old 19" CRT before, once you go with multiple displays it's hard to go back). 6950's were going for a song last year too...

B) This one's more relevant to you... 24" / 1920x1200 > 1920x1080 for Eyefinity IMO. If you ever have the whim to rotate them for PPP EF you end up with more space in between bezels than with the narrower 1080p displays (shorter in landscape, narrower in portrait).

You're gonna need a second 6970 if you intend to play any recent games at EF res tho, although by next gen you'll probably just be better off with a new single high end card (unless 6970's are exceedingly cheap at that point). I'd take a stab at 3x27" with those Korean Ebay displays (they're not much more than the U2412M) but that'd mean I'd have to invest even more money into GPUs every few years to properly drive that high a resolution, screw that

Hard to beat Dell's excellent warranty/service on these things anyway. I really should get my third one so they match and I can dump my old Samsung TN... Been throwing money at other upgrades lately!

Yes, but if you buy from Amazon you return to Amazon and their return policy is head and shoulder above almost everywhere else. Of course if it's a technical problem and not a return, then yes, your warranty is through Dell.

EDIT: I bought mine through Amazon because I was worried about the AG coating being too much, or dead/stuck pixel issues. I didn't see the the previous page of the thread had someone posting about manufacturers warranty, but most things bought new in the box will have the manufacturers warranty. Amazon is just great due to their excellent return policy... ;)

Do you guys think this will still be the best bang for your buck 24" monitor around Christmas time? Looking to upgrade from a 19", most of my computer use is just browsing the web, playing a few games (Diablo 3, Starcraft 2, maybe a FPS once in a while), wondering if this is still the monitor for me.

Do you guys think this will still be the best bang for your buck 24" monitor around Christmas time? Looking to upgrade from a 19", most of my computer use is just browsing the web, playing a few games (Diablo 3, Starcraft 2, maybe a FPS once in a while), wondering if this is still the monitor for me.

They'll probably reduce these in price when the updated model comes out next year (Spring, I think)?

The best bang for your buck may be the Dell S series, but there are some tradeoffs there... especially regarding the adjustable stand.

So, is it just me, or do the majority of these monitors that are refurb have terrible backlight bleed?

I'm on my fifth one from Dell.

#1 - beautiful, very little bleed, stopped working after 2 months
#2 - had a scratch on it when it arrived, do they even check for that as part of the refurb?
#3 - terrible backlight bleed
#4 - terrible backlight bleed
#5 - terrible backlight bleed

I'm thinking that a lot of enthusiasts are buying these and then RMAing them for bad backlight bleed, but the refurb process either doesn't check for it, or doesn't reject monitors for it, so there's this entire pool of working monitors with really bad backlight bleed that are just getting cycled through. I wouldn't be surprised if my #3 or #4 monitor went back, passed the checkout, and got sent to another [H] member who sent in his U2412M for having a ridiculous amount of backlight bleed.

Oh well. They have been pretty nice with me about replacing them. I'm probably going to request #6 when they call on Monday. I've started using the thing where the delivery service picks it up at my door, so it's not costing me anything or inconveniencing me to keep fishing for a good one. I'll do a side by side comparison when the new one arrives, and send back the worse of the two until I get one as good as my first.

After using my new monitor for about a week I can barely look at my old Dell 2007wfp. This new one is so much more brighter and bigger. I have the money for a new one now, but I'm holding off itll I can go to Ikea and build my new desk. I just don't have the room on my current one, so no point in getting another yet.

I have falled in lode with the Benq BL2400.

-DVI, VGA and Displayport
-Most reviews measured input lag aroung 20ms beyond a CRT
-With AMA on ( overdrive) the ghosting is on par with most IPS panels
-Blacks and colors are above most IPS panels on its price range
-As the review said "exemplary ergonomic adjustability with height, swivel, tilt and pivot"

The weak point of this panel is gaming, but only if you compare it against TN panels. But anyone who values input lag soo much should be playing on a CRT. If you give up displayport and height/pivot adjustability the newer Benqs have a new overdrive algorithm that results in lesser ghosting than almost any IPS panel on the market. At USD179 the Benq GW2450 is a steal for a non-TN 24" 1080p screen capable of decent gaming.

I still consider the USD 279 for the BL2400 most "bang for the buck" since pivot and displayport are worth IMO more than USD100 on a 24"panel.

Picked up one of these last week. I've been using a glossy 25" TN monitor for a couple of years, so I wasn't sure what to expect. I noticed the AR right away. I kind of realized that I was sitting too close, so I re-positioned the monitor, and raised the height a bit. I'm in love with this stand - it feels so nice to have the monitor at eye level for once. It's been about a week now, and I've become accustomed to the AR to the point where I don't really notice it, so I think this was more about making the adjustment than anything else. I've also calibrated the monitor to e10's settings - though I moved the blue channel up to 89 as it felt a little more neutral to my eyes. Initially, these calibration settings felt strange, because the colors lacked immediate pop, and the brightness felt low, but again, after some adjustment period it feels far more natural. Videos look amazing, and the colors are full of life, and range. 16:10 is also blowing my mind. All in all, I feel like this monitor is setting me straight. Very happy with my purchase.

I just got this yesterday... I'm noticing some roughness around the edges of graphical elements like the icons in my taskbar and system tray. The icons look noticeably worse than the BenQ G2400WD that I am replacing it with. I'm using a 7970.

I'm also seeing some serious IPS glow. Is there an example of the normal amount of glow I should expect from this thing? I have had to push the monitor farther back on my desk, it is now about 3ft away and I can still see the whitish glow in the corners. Is this one defective?

I have falled in lode with the Benq BL2400.

The weak point of this panel is gaming, but only if you compare it against TN panels. But anyone who values input lag soo much should be playing on a CRT. If you give up displayport and height/pivot adjustability the newer Benqs have a new overdrive algorithm that results in lesser ghosting than almost any IPS panel on the market. At USD179 the Benq GW2450 is a steal for a non-TN 24" 1080p screen capable of decent gaming.

UPDATE. My Benq BL2400PT arrived and it uses the same panel from the newer GW2450 and the new firmware is also capable of the so called "premium AMA" setting. This is the perfect business/production monitor and with new panel and firmware it games as well as a non-overdrived IPS.:D If i was enjoying the bang for the buck before, now that i have the real deal before me i am even more inclined to suggest people to consider it in their buying decisions.

I just got this yesterday... I'm noticing some roughness around the edges of graphical elements like the icons in my taskbar and system tray. The icons look noticeably worse than the BenQ G2400WD that I am replacing it with. I'm using a 7970.

I'm also seeing some serious IPS glow. Is there an example of the normal amount of glow I should expect from this thing? I have had to push the monitor farther back on my desk, it is now about 3ft away and I can still see the whitish glow in the corners. Is this one defective?

Mine doesn't exhibit either of those issues, so I would have to agree that it's likely defective.

Just got mine today. All I can say is... oh my god!

Coming from years of bargain LCD's, this is quite a step up. No major backlight bleed to speak of, no stuck/dead pixels. Colors are awesome. I'm very impressed... and disgusted at what I used to use before.

The only, and very minor, annoyance I have, is that after I calibrated the monitor, some games that are meant to be "vibrant" are toned down quite a bit. But that's my problem, certainly not the screen, as it looks wonderful in LR4.

The only, and very minor, annoyance I have, is that after I calibrated the monitor, some games that are meant to be "vibrant" are toned down quite a bit. But that's my problem, certainly not the screen, as it looks wonderful in LR4.

If you calibrated by an icc profile, most games ignore those. As far as I was aware, ICC profiles are for desktop use.

I just want to make sure I'm not being hyper-critical before sending this back to Dell. Here is a picture of what I am seeing on a black screen from about 2.5ft away (I can't move back any farther and still read the thing):

http://imgur.com/sq0UR

Is this glow just normal with IPS monitors? If so, I can't understand how so many people prefer them. It drives me nuts.

Seems higher than average to me, tho it's always there to an extent depending on distance/angle.

Back