Dell U2412M

Korean 27. Or the Microcenter Auria (Korean 27 from a US vendor). You will be blown away compared to your 22". Absolutely blown away. I still own my 2412M and a picture that looks clean and bright and sharp on my Catleap looks dirty and dull on the 2412m.

BB

That's somewhat subjective... If I was only running a single display, for either gaming or productivity, I'd definitely go 27". Personally I went from a 19" CRT to a 24" LCD and kept the CRT around until I stepped up to three 24" (will probably replace the older Dell with a third U2412M at some point).

Even if I got tired of Eyefinity I'd keep two displays around, and multiple smaller displays are obviously much cheaper unless you take the Korean imports into account. Shipping to Puerto Rico is enough of a hassle tho and I'd need even more GPU horsepower if I went bigger so I've never considered them, but they look like a solid value... Just a matter of how comfortable you are with the long term warranty/support and whether you don't mind glossy displays.

Everyone at Dell I've spoken to insists that the 2412 does 1:1 pixel mapping. That's not right is it?

16:10, 4:3 and 5:4 are the only modes it scales to. Any 1:1 mapping is on a PC and performed by the video card.

I bought one of these before deciding if I wanted to get a second or not. Since I have a 2407 at work I can notice a huge different between that and this. The colors seem dark on my 2412 even with brightness set to full. Then it washes the colors out when doing that. The viewing angles are nowhere near as good. I'll be paying the premium and going dual 2410 instead.

I just got this monitor and have been using it for a few days now. Sadly, I'm not impressed. It's very "washed out" looking. I have a Westinghouse L2410NM that frankly has a better picture than this. I've managed to get the colors looking right but I can't get past the "blue haze" feeling and the viewing angles aren't much better than a TN panel IMO. I've been through this thread and tried fiddling with everything. I was hoping for an upgrade and maybe something to build a tri-monitor setup with. I'm glad I didn't pull the trigger on three of these. Ordered it from Amazon so gonna see if they'll take it back without a bunch of hassle. If not I guess it'll make a decent side monitor. :(

Hi,

Just got myself a U2412M rev A02 a
Since [H] has such active discussion about this monitor I decided to join. :D

The AG coating is noticeable if I put my nose really close, but I helps a lot since my work location is particularly close to light sources. My laptop is also AG coated, kinda used to it.
No dead pixel, no ugly blacklight bleed.
In overall, I'm quite satisfied
(nothing spectacular, though. I'm coming from HP w1907 (glossy TN) which as far as concerned is pretty decent, and the laptop screen I've ever used was glossy AFFS+ and the current one is some kind of IPS)

Currently, I'm using it as secondary/docked display of my lappie.

To u2412m gurus, if you don't mind I have couple of questions: :p

1. Which one is better, Dell ICC profile included in the CD or TFTcentral's one? FWIW TFT Central doesn't have any RGB adjustment, just contrast & brightness
2. I can't seem to pass Lagom sharpness test, www.lagom.nl/lcd-test/sharpness.php. The stripes are just so noticeable even when looked at from several feets.
Perhaps something to do with me using VGA output (no other option).
Anyway I passed the phase & clock test, no flickering. Text sharpness is doing just fine, I suppose.
3. What are the difference between rev a02 and a03?

Thanks in advance :)

Last edited:
Hi,

Just got myself a U2412M rev A02 a
Since [H] has such active discussion about this monitor I decided to join. :D

The AG coating is noticeable if I put my nose really close, but I helps a lot since my work location is particularly close to light sources. My laptop is also AG coated, kinda used to it.
No dead pixel, no ugly blacklight bleed.
In overall, I'm quite satisfied
(nothing spectacular, though. I'm coming from HP w1907 (glossy TN) which as far as concerned is pretty decent, and the laptop screen I've ever used was glossy AFFS+ and the current one is some kind of IPS)

Currently, I'm using it as secondary/docked display of my lappie.

To u2412m gurus, if you don't mind I have couple of questions: :p

1. Which one is better, Dell ICC profile included in the CD or TFTcentral's one? FWIW TFT Central doesn't have any RGB adjustment, just contrast & brightness
2. I can't seem to pass Lagom sharpness test, www.lagom.nl/lcd-test/sharpness.php. The stripes are just so noticeable even when looked at from several feets.
Perhaps something to do with me using VGA output (no other option).
Anyway I passed the phase & clock test, no flickering. Text sharpness is doing just fine, I suppose.
3. What are the difference between rev a02 and a03?

Thanks in advance :)

Read the instructions. Squint your eyes.

Read the instructions. Squint your eyes.

I did.
Both my w1907 and my laptop passed the sharpness test,so I know what the pattern should look like.
Speaking of which, did your dell u2412m pass the test? what input do you use?

Thanks

Last edited:
Hi. I'm new to the forum, I've tried to read as much as I can of the 2410 and 2412 thread. I have two questions:

1) I urgently need a 24 monitor for photo editing (raw development) and video editing in Final Cut. The most important thing for me is that when I'm developing raw files the colors I see will match the lab prints. I can get the 2410 for almost the same price as the 2412 (£ 230 vs 270). However, from what I've read the only reason wide gamut is worth is if you print with your own print (or maybe I'm wrong?). And, from what I've read, buying the 2410 and not using the widegamut wouldn't make a lot of sense because the Srgb emulation is not perfect and and the srgb rendition would therefore be better on the 2412. Moreover from reviews it seems the 2412 has better blacks. So, would a calibrated 2412 perform better than a calibrated 2410 used in Srgb? Probably someone here tested both the monitors and can give some advice?

2) Since I'm inclined to buy the 2412, what would be a good calibrator to go with it possibly under £100?

Thank you in advance for your help!

Thank you for your reply MatlocK, it looks interesting but it costs £ 355 vs £ 235 for the 2412 and £ 270 for the 2410...would such a difference be justified?

Thank you for your reply MatlocK, it looks interesting but it costs £ 355 vs £ 235 for the 2412 and £ 270 for the 2410...would such a difference be justified?
Probably not if the price gap in your country is that high. Here in the States the difference is only about $30-40 (£19-25) at the moment. The ASUS does have some nice features like HDMI and USB 3.0 side ports, but not worth the near $200USD difference :eek:.

Last edited:
Thanks Hobbes! That's what I thought, all those features would be nice, but I'm just interested in the mere image quality of the monitor. What do you think it would be best then between the 2412 at £ 235 and the 2410 at £ 270? (I'm not particularly interested in the widegamut, I just do video editing and raw development so I would use the 2410 most of the time in srgb)

The U2410 suck due to the poor contrast and sRGB mode, there is no reason to considerate especially since you plan on sticking with sRGB. The PA246Q is an improvement over the U2410 if you really want a wide gamut display, but it also has poor contrast.

The PA248Q will likely have better (more accurate) colour presets than the Dells, as well as the extra features but Asus does not offer as good customer service, so unless you can get the Asus from a place with a hassle free return+exchange policy I would be weary given the common back-light bleeding issues.

http://www.prad.de/new/monitore/test/2012/test-asus-pa248q-teil7.html

If you plan on hooking up a 360/PS3/Blu-Ray plater the PA248Q has a 1:1 scaler and low input lag, it is the only 16:10 24" IPS with proper scaling and low input lag.

Thanks Hobbes! That's what I thought, all those features would be nice, but I'm just interested in the mere image quality of the monitor. What do you think it would be best then between the 2412 at £ 235 and the 2410 at £ 270? (I'm not particularly interested in the widegamut, I just do video editing and raw development so I would use the 2410 most of the time in srgb)
Someone else might be more knowledgeable, I don't know a ton about the 2410. The 2410 does have an 8-bit panel vs the 6 of the 2412. If you're up for reading you could read both of these (if you haven't already):
http://www.tftcentral.co.uk/reviews/dell_u2410.htm
http://www.tftcentral.co.uk/reviews/dell_u2412m.htm

For that fairly minimal price different I'd be tempted to go with the 2410.

Thank you for all your opinions and help. After some thought, and after some reading of this incredibly long thread I think I'll go with the 2412, which I found even cheaper for £ 225.

I will avoid all the Asus because they are outside of my budget (they all cost more than £350 here in the UK). And I decided not to buy the 2410 because this way I save £45, apparently I get a screen with better speed, no possible tint issues, better blacks and easier to calibrate. Hope all this is sound reasoning.

Last edited:
Is there any visible difference between U2410 and 2412 in fast games like CS:S ?? What do You think ? It is said that 2410 has higer input lag... but will it be visible in real game ?? What do you think ?? I am looking for monitor both to image correction and fps games like CS

the egg has these now for 289 plus free shipping.

Just got mine last week from Amazon for $309. Still came out ten bucks better avoided $30 in California sales tax and e-waste recycling fees. :eek: Yeah, that is a good price though if you don't live where Newegg collects those things.

I have had my U2412M for about a week now. it is primarily being used with my MacBook Pro for Web Design/Development. So far so good.

I have not hooked it up to my Gaming PC yet but I might give it a try.

My only real gripe so far is the anti-glare coating. It is somewhat noticeable, especially on white screens, and has that kind of sparkle effect. But I am used to it now and don't really notice it.

My only real gripe so far is the anti-glare coating. It is somewhat noticeable, especially on white screens, and has that kind of sparkle effect. But I am used to it now and don't really notice it.

I'm getting better with it, although I do notice it as you said on white/light screens. Been about a week and a half. I hooked my old 22" 1680x1050 up last night and the pixel pitch is greater, so I was noticing that (after over a week with the finer pitch of the Dell)! I'm a nit-picking S.O.B., so it'll always be something regardless what I buy. ;)

I was looking at the Dell Ultrasharp U2410, but then found this on Amazon for $269.40. I've read much of this thread, along with many articles online, but want to ask first-hand whether you guys think I should go for the U2410 or U2412?

Last edited:
Does this monitor supports 75 hertz on lower resolutions such as 640x480, 800x600, 1024 and 1240?
When i launch Counter Strike 1.6 with "-freq 75" in launch options, I supposed to get a screen with a full stretched image of 4:3 to 16:10, with my previous monitor which is a Samsung 2232GW.

Yesterday I've get my hands on U2412M and when i tried the same thing (-freq 75 in launch options) game was in a 640*480 resolutioned small box on a 1080p screen. As if it is an indicator monitor doesn't support 75 hertz on any resolution. But I've read here in this topic monitor should be supporting 75 hertz on lower resolutions.

Does anyone here able to run it 75 hertz on lower resolutions?
Or is there any possible solution that comes to your mind?

Last edited:
I was looking at the Dell Ultrasharp U2410, but then found this on Amazon for $269.40. I've read much of this thread, along with many articles online, but want to ask first-hand whether you guys think I should go for the U2410 or U2412?

If you need wide gamut, then the 2410. Otherwise, the 2412, as wide gamut will be a hindrance.

For those commenting on the AG coating/sparkle... do you actually get used to it, and not see it, or are simply justifying the purchase and sort of ignoring the sparkle? I've read multiple comments from people saying how they can't see it, or they get used to it, stuff like that... and I wonder how they can state they no longer see it or it's not there. Whites are grey, and the monitor looks like it is covered in dust -- how do you ignore that? I guess I am wondering if it's simply justification, or if people's eyes/brains perceive the coating in different ways.

And I have a standard matte monitor and I still see some sparkle, although not as bad as when I owned a U2412. I can live with it, but I could never claim that I don't see it anymore, or that I wish it wasn't there.

Last edited:
For those commenting on the AG coating/sparkle... do you actually get used to it, and not see it, or are simply justifying the purchase and sort of ignoring the sparkle? I've read multiple comments from people saying how they can't see it, or they get used to it, stuff like that... and I wonder how they can state they no longer see it or it's not there. Whites are grey, and the monitor looks like it is covered in dust -- how do you ignore that? I guess I am wondering if it's simply justification, or if people's eyes/brains perceive the coating in different ways.

And I have a standard matte monitor and I still see some sparkle, although not as bad as when I owned a U2412. I can live with it, but I could never claim that I don't see it anymore, or that I wish it wasn't there.

My monitor is properly calibrated (Spyder4 Elite) and is in a room with a large window. During the day its quite bright, at night its quite dim. My whites are white, not gray. The monitor screen does not look like its covered in dust. Can I see the AG coating? Yep, but its not that bad at a distance of 2 1/2 feet. I am getting used to it. About the only time I notice it is when reading forums like this and someone (such as yourself ) comments on it. I'm definitely not justifying anything - I can send it back to Amazon for another three weeks with no issue and get something else. As I said in a previous post though, no monitor is perfect. If its not AG coating its glossy reflections or backlight bleeding or too much PWM flicker. Its always something. The U2412M has the least irritations of the three monitors I've tried recently. I think I'll stop while I'm ahead.

Hmm... I wonder if some revisions are worse than others regarding coating/sparkles, as mine certainly seemed chock full of sparkles.

Distance from screen and light shining on it may make a difference too. I typically sit a bit closer than 2.5 ft, and also have no light shining directly at all on my monitor. From far enough away, sparkles should be minimized somewhat. I primarily was just curious why some people are fine with the coating, and others like myself, not so great with it -- perhaps it's simply accepting it as a fault one can live with -- lesser of several LCD evils to some.

Hmm... I wonder if some revisions are worse than others regarding coating/sparkles, as mine certainly seemed chock full of sparkles.

No.

It is just that some minority of people are much more bothered by this.

On this monitor the vast majority have no issue with the coating.

Just checked with a tape measure to make sure - my head is actually about 28" from the screen (kind of kick back in a chair instead of sitting upright).

Does this monitor supports 75 hertz on lower resolutions such as 640x480, 800x600, 1024 and 1240?
When i launch Counter Strike 1.6 with "-freq 75" in launch options, I supposed to get a screen with a full stretched image of 4:3 to 16:10, with my previous monitor which is a Samsung 2232GW.

Yesterday I've get my hands on U2412M and when i tried the same thing (-freq 75 in launch options) game was in a 640*480 resolutioned small box on a 1080p screen. As if it is an indicator monitor doesn't support 75 hertz on any resolution. But I've read here in this topic monitor should be supporting 75 hertz on lower resolutions.

Does anyone here able to run it 75 hertz on lower resolutions?
Or is there any possible solution that comes to your mind?

Anyone to help me with this?

If you don't have CS you could try lowering your resolution to 640x480 and see if it supports 75 hertz.

Anyone?

CS:GO comes out soon. There is your solution;) I'm waiting on a review of the Nixeus Vue 27". This price is really good but I don't know if 24" would be much of a step up from my 2208wfp.

Thank you. I pre-purchased it so I'm able to play it.

But my problem still stands. Monitor won't make it to 75 hertz. Anyone here can do it?

been lurking this thread for a while.

Just received one today. So far I'm impressed compared to my old Dell 2405. My u2412m is a rev A03 made in July

I had a mixed experience with the U2412M I bought. The image and build quality were very good. The backlight was very uniform and I was pleased with the AG coating (having used a NEC ea231WMi for the past two years).

Unfortunately the PWM flickering bothered me too much. Especially on large while planes, such as file browsers or google search, it was visible from the corner of the eyes. At 100% brightness, the flickering disappeared. But using it at 5 tot 20 percent brightness, I found it to be too much of a distraction. The effect is clearly not visible to everyone, but on camera the difference with my CCFL lit ea231wmi was evident.

I returned the monitor, as this problem appears to be a general issue with the model. LED flickering will definitely be something to consider for my next purchase. I am now thinking of getting the flicker free ZR2740w or the new U2713HM.

I just ordered this today since it was on slickdeals. After purchasing a dell gift card on ebay and apply the discount code I got this lcd out the door for $260 shipped and that's with tax included.

Finally quit agonizing over it and took the plunge as well :) Picked one up from Amazon today (from Amazon itself instead of a reseller). Free 2day shipping with Prime, out the door at $289.99. Hope it is as good as I have hyped it up to be!

My only worry is using it next to this old LG W2361VG. Wish I could have nabbed 2 of them, but just not in the cards at the moment.

Back