Dell U2412M

I am debating between the U2412M and the U2410. I don't mind paying the extra for the U2410 but is the picture quality noticably superior? I can get it for $395 + free shipping + 5 year advance warranty through my work, or $265 + free shipping + 5 year advance warranty for the U2412M.

I got it from Newegg. It was $339 but I had a $50 gift card from work that I won at a company party. So after taxes etc it came to about $300..

I am debating between the U2412M and the U2410. I don't mind paying the extra for the U2410 but is the picture quality noticably superior? I can get it for $395 + free shipping + 5 year advance warranty through my work, or $265 + free shipping + 5 year advance warranty for the U2412M.

they're used for different things to be honest. U2412M is a better monitor for gaming and general use... seems to me like video editing or photo editing than the u2410 is preferred.. tftcentrals review does really really clear and in depth comparisons between the u2412 and 2410

http://www.tftcentral.co.uk/reviews/dell_u2412m.htm

U2412M wins in some areas and the U2410 wins in others!

Good luck with it. That's a very good price. I paid like $100.00 more for it back in July of 2011.

Ps3 and Xbox 360 can be played on the DVI with a DVI to HDMI cable, but the PS3 will be vertically stretched to 16:10.

The Xbox 360 has the ability to output 1680x1050 and adds the black bars and shrinks the image to 16:9 so that's why it's ok to run with this screen without stretching. It's the 360 doing the work. The monitor only has 4:3, 5:4, and 16:10 aspect ratio settings.

It's too bad they didn't spend a few more cents (and sense) and put in a 16:9 mode for more modern content. Dell is usually excellent at this since the 08/09 series of UltraSharps.

I wonder how the ps3 image looks stretched.. It is only 24inches I cant imagine it being to bad.. hmm.

I wonder how the ps3 image looks stretched.

Just awful! Dont even consider a 16:10 monitor!

800px-Playstation_3_-_1610.jpg

Compare the circles in the middle of the two following images, both displayed from a console from back in 2008. The first from a Samsung 2493HM which could not properly display 16:9 content, while the BenQ G2400W could, shown in image #2.

This should give you some idea. It's not a big deal, but I always hated overscan and stretching with consoles on monitors, though these days I don't use monitors for consoles ;)

Since the U2412M doesn't over scan or cut off the edges, you won't lose anything, it's just going to look too tall. It won't affect your gaming or aiming, it's just not optimal IMHO. Note, this won't be an issue from a PC or 360, just a Ps3 or Blu-Ray player.

If that's a problem the U2410 would be better as it does 16:9 content from consoles correctly, as does the Asus PA246Q.

Incorrect (ie. stretched):

2423184070_ca950868b5_b.jpg

Correct: (16:9)

2424957289_3642d6507e_b.jpg

i feel so stupid still couldn't decide if i should get the u2412m or wait for the next generation Dell IPS

i feel so stupid still couldn't decide if i should get the u2412m or wait for the next generation Dell IPS

Have there been any rumors of new displays coming out as I'm also looking for a new monitor?

It'll be thinner, more efficient and have a slightly larger gamut. Basic display performance such as speed and contrast hasn't changed since 2006 with the 2490.

Last edited:
Got my U2412M today. No dead or stuck pixels. And I see no backlight bleed. I got a Rev 02. Very very pleased with it. I'll use my new Spyder 4 pro tomorrow and calibrate it...

is this how you see the trend or you actual know??? :confused:

No hard knowledge about the successor, but my statement is well informed. There might be an introduction to ~150 PPI this year but it is probably going to occur in a 27" panel for Apple. If you care to gamble a wait for the imac refresh you, like many, may be in luck and eventually will be able to pick your poison in terms of Dell, HP, NEC and so on.

Anyone else feel like the excitement for this monitor died down a lot ever since the forum discovered the Achieva Shimians and Yamakasi Catleaps?

Anyone else feel like the excitement for this monitor died down a lot ever since the forum discovered the Achieva Shimians and Yamakasi Catleaps?

a little bit
but when one thinks of these awesome spec monitor without warranty... it's really not so much excitement...

Dell is still our choice

Hi all ,
Dam i hate impulse buying was reading this thread last night dam took awhile lol .
Well in Australia Dell have these at $279 atm so pulled the trigger on one :) Will be my first ISP screen hope they are good . Thanx to 10e for all his testing etc helped me decide .

Last edited:
Seriously?

It is 1920x1200!

Why would anyone want such low resolution monitor in 2012?

2560x1440 will open a totally new world for you.

Because I plan on running three of them in Eyefinity and I don't want to go near any multi-GPU solution in order to drive them.

besides, 5760x1200 > 2560x1440 ;)

Seriously?

It is 1920x1200!

Why would anyone want such low resolution monitor in 2012?

2560x1440 will open a totally new world for you.

It better do us sexual favors too, considering the cost. It takes 2xU2412M to meet the cost of even one ZR2740W, and I don't think you will be fronting us the ca$h.

And don't even talk about the stuff coming from Korea. I'm typing this on one of those.

so i just received my 2412 today... so far... not impressed. not sure what i was expecting but I don't see anything with it that makes it stand out as being any different than the monitor it replaced (Samsung T260) Is there anything I'm doing wrong? I brought brightness down to 40 and tweaked the color too. It still doesn't seem anywhere near as sharp as my old monitor. Blacks seems to be very gray to me as well. Am I wrong in this assessment?

Matte IPS panels will never be as sharp because of the excessively grainy anti-glare coating LG puts on them. Samsung panels as well as most non LG TN's and all VA panels use less grainy matte coatings=sharper image. As far as the black levels go it is possible that you received a unit with poor blacks/contrast, some have been known to have around 30% less contrast than others.

http://i.imgur.com/T3OJb.jpg This is an image of the matte coating IPS use. Taken from here: http://www.overclock.net/t/1216559/...oating-from-a-dell-u2312hm-monitor-and-others

why would you like glossy display? sometimes it's like a mirror that i can't see what is display in the monitor

I personally love my U2412M. I had two and sent one back after realizing how bad text looks when this (or any) monitor is oriented vertically. Found out from another poster that cleartype doesn't work when in this orientation.

I understand a lot of people value eyefinity, but it's hard to swallow the deficit in quality to me. If that is corrected, man I'd love to have another.

edit: Oh lord I love digital comic books on a vertical monitor.

Last edited:
I personally love my U2412M. I had two and sent one back after realizing how bad text looks when this (or any) monitor is oriented vertically. Found out from another poster that cleartype doesn't work when in this orientation.

I understand a lot of people value eyefinity, but it's hard to swallow the deficit in quality to me. If that is corrected, man I'd love to have another.

edit: Oh lord I love digital comic books on a vertical monitor.

Solution: Run the three screens in landscape, not portrait :D

why would you like glossy display? sometimes it's like a mirror that i can't see what is display in the monitor

http://www.tomshardware.com/reviews/apple-macbook-laptop,2130-4.html

That article sums up why I would choose glossy over matte. It's basically because matte screens has to have a type of filter or something to distort the light from being relfected back to your face. What this means is that the clarity of the light from the panel itself is distorted as well.

so the u2412m has no option for anything other than matte. What is the equivalent monitor that offers a gloss finish? If there aren't any than all this chit-chat on this finish or that is just wasting bits as it relates to this specific monitor.

Now, if there is another option with gloss finish, if I use a hood, control lighting, and use this for graphics WEB (not print) work, not gaming, would most vote to go that way or not much practical difference?

thx

My laptop only have VGA, core2 dual intel graphic 3000 , would it have any lag for movie or YouTube with this monitor???

so the u2412m has no option for anything other than matte. What is the equivalent monitor that offers a gloss finish?

The Samsung S24A850D is semi-glossy but it is a rip off (450$+) and the quality control sucks. Pretty much every one has reported backlight bleeding. If you don't mind 1080p displays there are a few good VA panels like the BenQ BL2400P and Samsung 24A650D which are semi-glossy

The only glossy IPS alternative are the 27" 1440p Korean IPS, the Apple Cinema Display or the Dell ST2220T. I stole this image of the LCD pixels which shows the coating up close from an overclocker.ru Review

19_kristaleffect_big.jpg

The Samsung S24A350T uses semi-glossy coating as well as the FP241W. The NB x2011 uses coating similar to your T260. The semi-glossy coating clearly superior

Last edited:
so the u2412m has no option for anything other than matte. What is the equivalent monitor that offers a gloss finish? If there aren't any than all this chit-chat on this finish or that is just wasting bits as it relates to this specific monitor.

Now, if there is another option with gloss finish, if I use a hood, control lighting, and use this for graphics WEB (not print) work, not gaming, would most vote to go that way or not much practical difference?

thx

why do you want gloss if you dont mind me asking? to be honest the sharpness of the screen is comparable to a glossy screen. it just has an anti glare coating instead.

Are there any major differences between the revisions? other then some issues that some of the early ones had? Anything to look for when purchasing A01 or A00 monitors?

Back