Dell U2412M

Thanks for the heads up! I went ahead and ordered one. According to SD and resellerratings, this site seems reputable. I'm almost thinking I should have gotten two, but I'll be okay to start with one and wait for another sale for the second. The bonus here is that I had to pay no tax, unlike with Dell.

The product description states that it's NEW and has a 3 year warranty , so I should be good there as well...

Yeah, wish I had caught that... by the time I had checked my twitter feed... clicked and it was sold out :(

Would love to snag 2 of them, but just can't justify it at $330ish plus at the moment... especially when Dell themselves sneak it in at $299 every so often.

Btw, what is with the crazy price fluctuation on Dell.com? Especially surprising when the base/home user price seems to be cheaper than eep or university pricing, or even business pricing.

Edit: just checked dell university/eep... at least it is the same price as the main site atm. Don't know why they bother with the eep with how irratic their normal pricing seems to be, lol.

Quite honestly, the way to get the best deal on anything with "Dell" on it is to *call* them. You'd be surprised how eager the flesh and blood salespeople are to get you to spend money.

This works doubly well in bulk.

Also, for the new page - is an intermittent black screen issue (screen "cuts out") occasionally a known issue worthy of an RMA? The monitor is connected via an HDMI to DVI cable, and soon will be connected DP to DP. I've tried the "DDC Disable" thing I read on another forum. Monitor revision is A00.

ended up getting two from dell small business.

it's currently listed at $299 right now, then use the fatwallet 5% cash back for an additional discount.

I have a question. Does anyone use factory settings (standard mode)? I've only adjusted brightness, down to 40 and the colors seems perfect to me.

When I put 96 93 87 in custom mode, the colors seems a bit lacking.. White is kinda reddish and dark blue almost look like grey.

Is there any website I could use for color accuracy stuff?

I have a question. Does anyone use factory settings (standard mode)? I've only adjusted brightness, down to 40 and the colors seems perfect to me.

When I put 96 93 87 in custom mode, the colors seems a bit lacking.. White is kinda reddish and dark blue almost look like grey.

Is there any website I could use for color accuracy stuff?
I now have 4 of these monitors, 2 are going back for color uniformity, but none of them calibrated with the same RGB values in the custom color settings. Each and every one is different, you really can't use someone else's settings. Short of a calibration tool, which I finally decided to purchase after years of putting it off, really helps to get these screens looking great. Really important if you have more than one (of any kind) since it will drive you nuts having two side by side without rendering colors the same.

Without a tool, using the built in windows 7 calibration tool is a good start, but ultimately, even with that tool, you have to decide what is 'gray/neutral' to your eyes.

Edit: My fourth U2412M, which arrived today, is rev A00 manufactured December 2011. The older ones were all rev A02. WTF?

I just got mine today.

In the lagom test page: http://www.lagom.nl/lcd-test/viewing_angle.php

The lagom text on the left and right side of the screen looks more red than the text down the middle. Does this look like a problem?

Sorry for the crummy phone pic.
XNPI2.jpg

@Kulith. Not an issue from my point of view. All screens will have a bit of variance on this test, and yours doesn't look bad.

Just purchased one of these a few days ago. My 6 year old Dell UltraSharp 2005fwp lost its power supply. It's taken me a bit, but using 10e's settings were a great start. At this point, I am still unsure about it to be honest. The U2412M seems a bit more fatiguing and not as crisp, especially with text. Edit: I turned down the brightness a great deal and it has helped.

There was quite a lot of blue tint I had to take out to get whites to look right. My settings @ Custom Color:
Brightness: 60 (now 45)
Contrast: 75
Red: 96
Green: 93
Blue: 84

Ran Skyrim and it was fine. However, using "Game" mode enables dynamic contrast even though in menu options it says it is "off". If you set to Game mode and change Brightness or Contrast you will get a prompt to confirm that you must turn off dynamic contrast to adjust them.

One nitpick: The menu button on the unit (2nd from bottom) is non-responsive at times. I often have to press it a few times in a firm way to get it to advance. Not a good sign long-term imo and maybe worthy of an exchange?

Last edited:
Anyone able to get this monitor through Dell for $300 or less? I'm strongly considering buying one if I can get it for less than $300.

Anyone able to get this monitor through Dell for $300 or less? I'm strongly considering buying one if I can get it for less than $300.

I don't know about the States but here in Canada, it was on sale for $279 only about a week ago.

I am looking to purchase one of these and was wondering if anyone has taken one apart? can you vesa mount one without the case?

back on sale for $299 at dell small business, dont forget to use fatwallet for an additional 5% cash back

$265 delivered, through Dell Canada small business store using additional 10% off coupon code (D1MWRSLGFQ7X0Q).

This is the lowest price I've seen. Not sure whether to pull the trigger on this one or wait for 2007FP refurb. Opinions?

If you are interested in picking one up I highly suggest you give Dell a call and speak with a rep. They are pretty flexible if you take the time to speak with them. I picked 2 of them up last week for $260 each.

Just ordered via the Dell EPP (my company buys a ton of Dell hardware, and we get a EPP discount at Dell for personal purchases).

Ordered on 1/16, initial delivery estimate was 2/3. It was shipped on 1/20, and they bumped up the delivery estimate to 1/24. I will post the revision and manufacture date once it arrives. I read the entire thread and it looks like people started getting A02s in September, so I'm curious to see if that's still the most recent revision.

I called and with the EPP was able to get it for $309, free shipping, which came out to $333 after taxes.

I'm replacing my 2408WFP with it, after hearing some positive comparisons. I am quite happy with the 2408WFP, but I want to move to dual 24". Hopefully the 2412 and 2408 are exactly the same height and pixel pitch, and will work well side-by-side.

I've ordered a pair of HP Single Monitor Arms. These are a killer deal - Ergotron is the OEM for them, so they are Ergotron LX arms that are black instead of the nice polished metal. I love the way the polished Ergotron arms look, but I don't love them $80 more than plain black. At the time I purchased, the HP arms were $78, and the Ergotron arms were $115.

http://www.ergotron.com/tabid/696/language/en-US/default.aspx#5

I've been trying to wrap my head around the calibration discussion. I have an Eye-One DisplayRite LT (Looks to be the same as the displayrite 2). I've heard that it's significantly inferor compared to the displayrite 3, but it's much cheaper. Biggest improvement in the newer one seemed to be inorganic filters that didn't degrade over time. Mine is pretty new, so I'm hoping I will still be able to get a good calibration.

I have my 2408WFP calibrated in the included eye1 match software, which I hear is pretty terrible.

I gather from the thread I should use the free trial of BasicColor to calibrate, and Monitor Calibration Wizard to apply ICC profiles. I don't do any photo or video editing, just general web usage and gaming, but I have enough screens in the same room that I wanted to get a good calibration.

Since I already have the eye1 match icc profile applied to my computer, will I be able to remove that profile so it doesn't mess up the U2412M calibration? Should I install the U2412M ICC profile from the CD before the calibration? What are the best settings to begin the calibration? I know that when I did the 2408WFP, it had me start at 100% contrast, and didn't have me touch brightness or sharpness at all. What's the correct settings to start with, and the correct settings that aren't adjusted by the calibration process.

I have an AMD video card - is there anything recommended for me to adjust in Catalyst Control Center?

I currently have my 2408wfp, which is S-PVA wide gamut, in Custom mode, with the RGB settings I arrived at during calibration. If I'll be using it side by side with the 2412M, mostly as a second monitor for web browsing and TV and videos, should I set it to sRGB and generate a new ICC profile so that sRGB content looks better and it matches the U2412M better?

Does a single computer support multiple ICC profiles for separate monitors? I'll also have a third monitor (runs a bunch of gadgets, don't really use it that much otherwise so color isn't essential, it would just be nice), a 1907FP (19" SXGA TN). Could my computer have a profile for the 2412M and a separate profile for the 1907FP, and be able to keep track of it? The 2408 will be on a different computer.

Is there a tangible benefit to using displayport over DVI, or vice versa? I have both outputs.

Sorry for the barrage of questions. I read the entire thread and some of the calibration stuff confused me even further. I walked in thinking that I plug in my colorimeter, run the i1 match, and boom it's done. Now I'm hearing about wide gamut versus sRGB, and applying calibration to individual applications, and using different software.

Last edited:
@nalc: DVI vs Displayport: I run one DVI the other displayport and do not notice any difference.

Revisions: I've had 3 mfg in China, September, rev A02. The RMA replacement from Dell (to replace a bad color uniformity issue) several days ago was mfg in Mexico, December, rev A00 which is fine. I have another new one coming this week, should be interesting to see what mfg country I get!

Calibration: If it was me, I would try for the same calibration which may require the sRGB mode on your 2408 to have them match up. Not sure how the 2408 custom mode works with regards to hardware gamut rendering, you may need to experiment.

Windows 7 does a decent job of keeping the ICC profile matching the correct display when powered on. However, I've seen certain times when you have to toggle the "Use my settings for this device" to have it resume the settings.

The contrast on the u2412m was always left at 75 when I've calibrated and the brightness varies between 29 to 31 for 120 cd/m2 brightness. The RGB settings vary wildly between the 4 I've calibrated.

I'm using the i1Display Pro with the latest software and while not the most intuitive, it works well once you go through it a few times. I was able to calibrate my u2412m and older 2001fp to look identical when moving images back and forth between monitors. The only major difference was the contrast level which was only 350:1 on the older 2001fp which you could notice in the deep shadows of photos. In ambient daylight, you could hardly tell a difference.

Good luck, report back on how it goes.

Just got mine today, ordered late Wednesday night.

Ended up getting it for about $232 from Dell.com. The secret? I got $300 worth of Dell gift cards off ebay for $230. Free shipping, minus 5% from Fatwallet, plus tax.

Awesome monitor, especially for this price! :D

Last edited:
I have my 2408WFP calibrated in the included eye1 match software, which I hear is pretty terrible.

I gather from the thread I should use the free trial of BasicColor to calibrate, and Monitor Calibration Wizard to apply ICC profiles.

BasicColor will apply the profile to the proper screen, but Monitor Calibration Wizard can be used after the fact to save the video card LUT (color lookup table) to enforce them. Also for AMD cards, PowerStrip is good for this too.

Since I already have the eye1 match icc profile applied to my computer, will I be able to remove that profile so it doesn't mess up the U2412M calibration? Should I install the U2412M ICC profile from the CD before the calibration?

If you use BasicColor it will change the profiles to the proper ones, and discard the currently loaded one before it starts. System profile is always sRGB as far as I know in Windows 7.

I have an AMD video card - is there anything recommended for me to adjust in Catalyst Control Center?

No, don't worry about it. Just leave stock/defaults.

should I set it to sRGB and generate a new ICC profile so that sRGB content looks better and it matches the U2412M better?

It would probably be best, otherwise reds and greens especially will be a lot stronger on the 2408WFP and not look at all like the U2412M. But you can mess around with it.

Does a single computer support multiple ICC profiles for separate monitors?

Yes, and printers, etc.... per device, or you can set it per device in the Color Management control panel.

Is there a tangible benefit to using displayport over DVI, or vice versa? I have both outputs.

Nope.

Sorry for the barrage of questions. I read the entire thread and some of the calibration stuff
confused me even further. I walked in thinking that I plug in my colorimeter, run the i1 match, and boom it's done. Now I'm hearing about wide gamut versus sRGB, and applying calibration to individual applications, and using different software.

Outside of gamut, you should be able to. There might be some differences in the white point which you can play with on the U2412M in custom color mode, and in custom color mode on the 2408WFP (not sRGB mode) but BasicColor and i1match should be able to change it on the 2408WFP as well.

Don't apologize, these are great questions. Sorry I painted the post red, I just wanted to pick out your specific questions.

Thanks for the info, 10e. That's extremely helpful.

I got mine today. It's a rev A02, China, Dec-2011. It's so much thinner and lighter than my 2408WFP.

The sticker on the back of mine said U2412Mb in the upper right corner. Not sure if that means anything. Probably that it's black, since there is also a silver version? Unless I got a really super duper special version ;)

So far it's looking good. Bright as hell out of the box (so was my 2408WFP), but I turned it down. With your settings, it looks similar to the calibrated 2408WFP. Going to try some games with it to see input lag (the one major criticism of my old monitor was input lag. It didn't bother me, and I had the A02 which was supposedly improved in that regards).

Later tonight I'll run HCFR on it and post my results. I haven't had a chance to set it up next to my 2408WFP yet, but I plan on doing it this weekend and can post a comparison if anyone is interested. I'll put it in sRGB mode, get brightness as close as I can, then generate ICC profiles. Take some photos of contrast, IPS glow, backlight bleed, and input lag.

I'm happy to note that Dell got smart and put the onscreen menu in the bottom corner, rather than the middle. That was a pain in calibration, since you're supposed to have the colorimeter in the middle, and the 2408WFPs big blue menu is directly in the center of the screen.

Last edited:
Here are my results with an i1 Display2 and HCFR, using the 10e recommended settings on my Dec-11 A02.

neJVG.png

I'll kick the green down a couple notches, which should get the deltaE below 3 across the board.

I set my RGB to 96, 89, 87. Kept contrast 75, brightness 40, sharpness 40.

I measured 125cd/m^2 white, and 0.15cd/m^2 black, which is better than 800:1 contrast ratio, and probably within the tolerance of my cheap colorimeter.

My settings:

UqpZy.png

HCFR is really acting up on me - about two thirds of the time, when I go to calibrate, it hangs and the only way to get rid of it is to restart my computer. So it took almost an hour just to dial in the settings to where they are now.

A problem caused this program to stop interacting with Windows.

Problem signature:
Problem Event Name: AppHangB1
Application Name: ColorHCFR.exe
Application Version: 2.1.0.0
Application Timestamp: 493cec31
Hang Signature: fd8c
Hang Type: 0
OS Version: 6.1.7601.2.1.0.256.48
Locale ID: 1033
Additional Hang Signature 1: fd8c55796dcde6c5477b1cfce3d8c219
Additional Hang Signature 2: a65f
Additional Hang Signature 3: a65f8542190a021c85a0112fee3c7e6c
Additional Hang Signature 4: fd8c
Additional Hang Signature 5: fd8c55796dcde6c5477b1cfce3d8c219
Additional Hang Signature 6: a65f
Additional Hang Signature 7: a65f8542190a021c85a0112fee3c7e6c

Last edited:
My new U2412M (A01, Made in China, December 2011) stinks.

Literally.

I noticed on the first day I got it the chemical smell coming out of the vents on the top. Not the usual sweet smell of warm plastic common to all new electronics (gee, I sound like a junky! :)), but more of a solver/paint thinner/nail polish remover kind of smell. Not very strong, but still strong enough to smell it every so often when working in front of the
monitor. Annoying.

The smell seems to be coming out from the vents on right (when looking from the front). I figured it was probably some industrial solver they used to clean the PCB at the factory and that it would dissipate within a day or two. I even left the monitor on overnight on max brightness a couple of times, figuring that the extra heat would help disperse the smell faster. A full week later, I can still smell it.

Other than the smell, the monitor is fine. Well, the off-angle glow is worse than expected (definitely more noticable than on my old IPS 2007WFP), but it works fine, no complaints.

Has anybody else experienced something like that? Any ideas/suggestions?

What is the best color temperature if I'm using this monitor for multiple purposes? I use it for the following:
Work (word processing, internet)
TV/movies
Photo editing (as a hobby, and photos are not printed so the screen doesn't have to match print)

Also, after calibration (I'm using Basic Color and X-Rite i1Display Pro) do I have to change the Advanced settings in Windows' Color Management, for example:
Color Management --> Advanced tab --> Device profile ---> Select profile name
and also change the settings in "Change system defaults"?

Dell U2412M #5 (from Dell Home) just arrived, rev A02 December made in China. Better than the first one that had a yellow spot bottom center. That one is going back to Amazon today.

This latest one calibrated at 1118:1 static contrast on the DVI connection (using iDisplay1 Pro). My final settings on the DisplayPort connection on the desktop computer were brightness 32, RGB 99 93 94, and on a notebook on the DVI port was brightness 28, RGB of 100 98 96.

So my final total for 5 monitors, 2 returned, 3 were keepers: 1 from Mexico (rev A00 December 2011), 2 from China (Rev A02 December 2011).

On all 5, I've never heard any buzzing that some people mentioned. IPS glow was the same on all of them and not noticeable at knuckle-length viewing at 120 cd/m2 brightness levels.

Only one of them failed to exceed 1000 to 1 contrast which was one of the one's I RMA exchanged with Dell. They did a decent job of replacing it within 48 hours too. That monitor was one that had the worst yellow/pink tinting of them all dead center and was pretty noticable. I never posted pictures of that one, but it was worse than my original post.

Overall, these are decent monitors if you don't have objectionable yellow tinting in your copy.

My new U2412M (A01, Made in China, December 2011) stinks. ...The smell seems to be coming out from the vents on right (when looking from the front) ... Has anybody else experienced something like that?

None of the 5 I had (keeping 3) had any smell. In fact, only this latest one had any fingerprints on the screen. Still need to clean those off too. :(

What is the best color temperature if I'm using this monitor for multiple purposes?

I think this is completely personal preference, I prefer D65 (6500K).

Also, after calibration (I'm using Basic Color and X-Rite i1Display Pro) do I have to change the Advanced settings in Windows' Color Management, for example:
Color Management --> Advanced tab --> Device profile ---> Select profile name
and also change the settings in "Change system defaults"?
Just make sure that you see a difference when you toggle the settings for "Use my settings for this device" in the color management 'device' tab (first page) for your selected monitor. If you don't see a change, you may need to go into the advanced 'change system defaults' > advanced "[x] use windows display calibration" to enable it.

I ordered a 2412 last night, and it has already shipped this morning. Does this necessarily mean that this monitor was returned by a previous owner?

(I can't imagine how else it could have gone through "pre-production" and "production" this quickly.)

I ordered a 2412 last night, and it has already shipped this morning. Does this necessarily mean that this monitor was returned by a previous owner? ...)

When I ordered 2 before Christmas, they shipped the next day. When I ordered a third a few weeks back, they shipped less than a week later even though they estimated 2 weeks. I don't believe they can resell returns without going through the Dell Outlet for refurbished ones. Even my RMA replacement was new. I don't think you have anything to worry about.

Bought two of this display the other day, like them so far, but i've noticed that one of the screen seems a bit more yellow than white on the right side of the screen if i look at a completely white picture, the other screen looks a bit more yellowish on the whole screen compared to the first one, but again nothing i don't really notice if am not staring at a picture. Is this normal or?

My new U2412M (A01, Made in China, December 2011) stinks.

Literally.

I noticed on the first day I got it the chemical smell coming out of the vents on the top. Not the usual sweet smell of warm plastic common to all new electronics (gee, I sound like a junky! :)), but more of a solver/paint thinner/nail polish remover kind of smell. Not very strong, but still strong enough to smell it every so often when working in front of the
monitor. Annoying.

The smell seems to be coming out from the vents on right (when looking from the front). I figured it was probably some industrial solver they used to clean the PCB at the factory and that it would dissipate within a day or two. I even left the monitor on overnight on max brightness a couple of times, figuring that the extra heat would help disperse the smell faster. A full week later, I can still smell it.

Other than the smell, the monitor is fine. Well, the off-angle glow is worse than expected (definitely more noticable than on my old IPS 2007WFP), but it works fine, no complaints.

Has anybody else experienced something like that? Any ideas/suggestions?
I noticed it but thankfully it didn't stink up the entire room. I doubt it's toxic.:eek: It's clearly a funky smell and it will just need to wear off over time.

Bought two of this display the other day, like them so far, but i've noticed that one of the screen seems a bit more yellow than white on the right side of the screen if i look at a completely white picture, the other screen looks a bit more yellowish on the whole screen compared to the first one, but again nothing i don't really notice if am not staring at a picture. Is this normal or?

Perfect color uniformity on these seem to be elusive. I had 5, kept 3 and returned 2 for bothersome yellow staining. If the entire display appears yellow, a calibration with the RGB should clear that up by decreasing red and green a little and increasing blue. If one side or spot is different than the rest, you will never be able to calibrate it out. I have one panel that has a slightly warmer tint on the right than the left. Unless I stare at black and white pictures or a perfect white screen, I don't notice it and that is one of the ones I kept.

On the other hand, I had one that had a prominent yellowing at the bottom middle to right that was quite irritating and after a month, decided it bothered me enough to return it. I also RMA exchanged one that had bad yellow spot in the middle with pink corners. Only you can decide how bothersome it is from using it for a while.

Last edited:
Got mine today. It is a A02, made in China. I have to say my monitor has no defects so far. The colors are excellent. I calibrated the monitor and it was not off by much.I meed to print out some pictures to see if they match my screen. I need to profile my printer first. Got some games to try out on this baby. I will keep you posted on my results.

Can anyone confirm if this has the same anti-glare as the U2711? I went to look at the 2711 at Micro Center today, and wow, the AG is pretty bad, especially when looking at white backgrounds or brighter colors in images.

Can anyone confirm if this has the same anti-glare as the U2711? I went to look at the 2711 at Micro Center today, and wow, the AG is pretty bad, especially when looking at white backgrounds or brighter colors in images.

Believe the consensus earlier in the thread was that the 2412 had less aggressive AG than the 2711

Back