Dell U2412M

So far the only panel quality issues are some back-light bleed, and potential yellowish tint on whites, but for the most part it's been pretty good. Mine has no white/yellow tinting and the back light bleed I noticed at the beginning is basically (if not completely) gone.

If your U3011 is anything like my 3008WFP you'll likely notice the IPS glow is a bit "whiter" on the U2412M than the U3011, but otherwise it should be a good addition.

One thing to note is because the U2412M is sRGB it will be closer to the sRGB preset on your screen than the Adobe RGB or "custom color" mode.

Post up and let us know what you think when you get it.

Cheers!

alright, i'll give some impressions...i personally never had any issues with my U3011...REV A02 and no back light bleeding or funky tinting issues...the ONLY noticeable issue is the AG coating is fairly strong...but I got use to it within a few weeks...now I can't even tell

hopefully this u2412m is just as good as my u3011 for general purpose...i don't plan on using it for professional use

Got mine today. The white is a little bright for my hazel eyes and so I'm working on how to adjust for that, but otherwise it looks really good. Btw, where does one find fully black and white screens?

Got lots of questions about using color management in Win 7, both of which I'm new to. Right now, the Color Mgt dialog box shows two profiles: Dell's U2412M.icm and one called "sRGB display profile with display hardware configuration data derived from calibration (default) - CalibratedDisplayProfile-2.icc." What do they represent? I'm guessing that profiles don't go into effect until I check the "Use my settings for this device" box, add and specify one. But is there a default? Or is it whatever adjustments I make with the monitor's controls? What is that Dell profile? I did install the Dell driver from the CD.

Along the way, I adjusted the monitor per 10e's settings and it looks fabulous (thanks!). The Pixar short animated film collection (downloaded blueray) looks just stunning.

Last edited:
After doing a little reading and learning that an aRGB capable monitor is not really that necessary to be a good photo editor (as long as one sticks to sRGB), I decided to jump on the Labor Day sale for this monitor. $70 off or $348 shipped is too good to ignore.

I just hope it's an upgrade from my DELL FP2001. If so, my only regret may be not ordering two of them!

After doing a little reading and learning that an aRGB capable monitor is not really that necessary to be a good photo editor (as long as one sticks to sRGB), I decided to jump on the Labor Day sale for this monitor. $70 off or $348 shipped is too good to ignore.

I just hope it's an upgrade from my DELL FP2001. If so, my only regret may be not ordering two of them!

lucky you :(

im guessing 6% sales tax?

as for me I had to dish out 8.75% plus $8 california fee for monitors...bah...lol

alright, i'll give some impressions...i personally never had any issues with my U3011...REV A02 and no back light bleeding or funky tinting issues...the ONLY noticeable issue is the AG coating is fairly strong...but I got use to it within a few weeks...now I can't even tell

hopefully this u2412m is just as good as my u3011 for general purpose...i don't plan on using it for professional use

AG coating should be a bit smoother on the U2412M, but again, I only have the 3008WFP. You don't have to tell us anything if you don't want to ;)

Got mine today. The white is a little bright for my hazel eyes and so I'm working on how to adjust for that, but otherwise it looks really good. Btw, where does one find fully black and white screens?

Got lots of questions about using color management in Win 7, both of which I'm new to. Right now, the Color Mgt dialog box shows two profiles: Dell's U2412M.icm and one called "sRGB display profile with display hardware configuration data derived from calibration (default) - CalibratedDisplayProfile-2.icc." What do they represent? I'm guessing that profiles don't go into effect until I check the "Use my settings for this device" box, add and specify one. But is there a default? Or is it whatever adjustments I make with the monitor's controls? What is that Dell profile? I did install the Dell driver from the CD.

Along the way, I adjusted the monitor per 10e's settings and it looks fabulous (thanks!). The Pixar short animated film collection (downloaded blueray) looks just stunning.

Dell's U2412M should be the default color profile for the screen, as it was installed from the CD.

Not sure about the "calibratedDisplayProfile-2.icc". Did you run the calibration wizard from Windows 7 after you installed the screen?

sRGB is a system profile, as it defines the sRGB color space and associated color gamut. I would just do that, "use my settings...." and use the U2412M profile, as it defines the specific characteristics of the screen.

Enjoy!

Well I ordered my second screen from lolang's contact yesterday. I haven't even had a chance to fully use the first one since I'm in the middle of a move/career change but I loved how it looked and it seemed really similar to my 2407 except it was gorgeous lol. So for a while I will have 3x24" screens... whoo hoo!

Originally Posted by a_rabbit
Just a data point.

I ordered this on Saturday, July 30 -- 2-day air, full price.
They estimated delivery at Friday, Aug 5.
On Aug 4, they changed the ETA to Wed, Aug 10
Today, on Aug 9, they changed the ETA to Monday, August 15.

Way to go Dell!

I just got another automated e-mail ... my order is now delayed until Thursday, August 18. I wonder what's going to happen when midnight August 17 rolls around.

Has anyone else ordered Dell Home U.S.?
Oh look, it's the 17th, and another automated e-mail. ETA is now August 23.

I didn't hear from anyone else who ordered from Dell Home U.S. around the same time that's gotten theirs already, so I guess we're all in line.
Now delayed to the August 26. I'll stop posting for now. I would like to hear if anyone ordered Dell Home U.S. around or after I did and got theirs.

It seems like the Dell ETA system just adds half a week or so automatically for this order. It'd be a bit more honest if they gave a real ETA.

So this was finally shipped on Friday, and arrived Monday. On Tuesday, the price dropped $70.

I called customer service and explained to them the situation where I placed the order one month ago, received wrong ETAs in at least five "Consent to this order delay!" e-mails, then got it shipped, then the price dropped right after. They're going to refund my credit card.

As for the monitor itself, it's okay. I tried 10e's color settings (Preset > Custom Color with Red>96, Green>93, and Blue>87 @ brightness of 45 and contrast of 75) but the colors seemed a little off for my unit. The brightness of the white is still taking getting used to compared to the 23" 1920x1200 Apple Cinema Display I have from mid-2008. Brightness is down to 33. I didn't notice backlight bleed or IPS glow. No dead pixels.

I ordered this for power consumption (low heat!), display quality, compactness of the unit -- but there is definitely room for the competition. I'd be willing to pay more for better image quality, HDMI, and a bit more pizazz in the design ... while still having low power consumption. Don't care so much about input lag or ghosting since I've gotten used to IPS and MVA displays for about 10 years.

Dell's U2412M should be the default color profile for the screen, as it was installed from the CD.

Not sure about the "calibratedDisplayProfile-2.icc". Did you run the calibration wizard from Windows 7 after you installed the screen?

sRGB is a system profile, as it defines the sRGB color space and associated color gamut. I would just do that, "use my settings...." and use the U2412M profile, as it defines the specific characteristics of the screen.
Enjoy!
Thanks. The "calibratedDisplayProfile-2.icc" is the file version of the sRGB profile, so I'm not sure what that is relative to the Dell U2412M.icm (Dell U2412M Color Profile, D6500). Both were showing in Color Mgt when I first looked.

What is the relationship between monitor settings and using a profile as default? For example, I'm assuming yours are hardware adjustments to the Dell default, so no changes is necessary. But what if I adjust the monitor per your (10e) settings and then I want to take a look at one of Flat Panel's profile, do I first have to set the monitor settings back to default? How does gamma (or gamma adjustment) fit in all this?

Thanks. The "calibratedDisplayProfile-2.icc" is the file version of the sRGB profile, so I'm not sure what that is relative to the Dell U2412M.icm (Dell U2412M Color Profile, D6500). Both were showing in Color Mgt when I first looked.

What is the relationship between monitor settings and using a profile as default? For example, I'm assuming yours are hardware adjustments to the Dell default, so no changes is necessary. But what if I adjust the monitor per your (10e) settings and then I want to take a look at one of Flat Panel's profile, do I first have to set the monitor settings back to default? How does gamma (or gamma adjustment) fit in all this?

There are different types of ICM profiles. One is a system profile which defines what the operating system uses. In this case, it's sRGB. Another is a profile which simply defines the color space that the monitor uses. In your case that's the Dell U2412M.

If you decide to use another profile, ie. from TFTCentral or FlatPanels, you only have to match their RGB settings in custom color and then install the profile by downloading it, right-clicking it, and selecting Install Profile.... and then going into color management control panel and custom setting that profile for the monitor.

Gamma adjustments are what are built-in to those ICM profiles from those two web sites. They adjust the brightness of each primary (red, green, glue) relative to the desired value to ensure that, for each desired color, the output voltage of each red,green, or blue sub-pixel matches the desired brightness and intensity (basically). This is a true calibration profile.

The other two profiles are just color space profiles which only define the color space supported by the O/S (Windows 7) or the screen (U2412M) and contain no adjustments to color LUTs (look up tables) for each primary color.

Hope that didn't sound too confusing. Cheers!

Thanks, I think it's clear. As I read it, if I want to try (I meant) TFT's profiles, I manually adjust to their RGB and brightness/contrast/sharpness settings and then invoke the profile as default. As for those other ones, I assume from your comments the Dell one is to be favored over the system profile, then with manual adjustments from that.

Last edited:
I got my U2412M in yesterday and was very excited to open it up :)

I got it all set up and here are my complaints, maybe you guys have some suggestions:
-The screen does have the "dirty" look to it, but that doesn't bother me as much as the lack of vibrancy. My Lenovo laptop is much brighter, clearer, and just nicer looking overall. It's not IPS either. I tried both the FlatpanelsHD and 10e's settings which definitely helped, but I'm not amazed at all. It had a yellowish tinge out of the box, and whites were pretty weak before turning up the brightness a lot.
-I'm not convinced by the whole IPS hype. Viewing angles are not noticeably better to me than either of my TN panels (Lenovo laptop and Samsung 204BW), and you have to sit far back or else you see the silvery glow coming from the corners. Who looks at a screen from a large angle anyway? The glow isn't bad, but it is noticeable if you're looking for it.
-Why didn't they include a Displayport cable? My laptop only has VGA and DP so I need to buy that cable now.
-The screen rotation feature is nice, but when you rotate the screen to be horizontal, it isn't exactly horizontal - it's ever so slightly tilted (1 degree), but it's noticeable if you have any straight lines on your desk or walls.

I still need more time to play with it, and I'm open to any suggestions. I will try to take a picture comparing it to my laptop and the Samsung and post it here.

Also, I have a question that is more software related I think. When I connected this screen to my laptop and changed the resolution and whatnot, the font size looks really small. The DPI is set to 100%, but compared to other monitors at 100%, it doesn't look proportional. The text, particularly on the title bar and bookmarks toolbar is very tiny. Here is a screenshot: http://i.imgur.com/yFJUD.jpg

Ordered, I will give my 2 cents later. I own a DELL 2209WA E-IPS and love it.

dammit this monitor are on sale now, I pick them up at $375 only about 2 weeks ago. Does dell has price guarantee for 30 days ? So I can call them refund me the price difference .

Got mine on Monday, installed and set up with 10e's settings. Aside from having to notch up my brightness a tad bit, they work pretty well for this monitor. Colors are fantastic! Only problem is now I notice my old Viewsonic is going green.Will have to see if I can tweak it so it's not so bad. Otherwise, I'm buying a 2nd one of these sooner than I expected! :D

The AG coating doesn't really bother me, and I have no backlight bleed out of the box. My only regret is that since work is busy this week I haven't had time to do more than a couple hours of WoW and a bit of Fallout3. Haven't noticed any ghosting from the little I played, we'll see if it shows up more this weekend.

Enjoy!

What are the disadvantages of not installing the profile from the CD? I'd always assumed monitor "drivers" were just a bunch of BS. Considering how good the display looks now, will installing the Dell CD help with color representation at all? Or is this just a case of me thinking it looks better than it does, coming from older TN monitors?

What are 10e's settings? I wish this type of info would go in a wiki or the first post,

I'm setting up 4 of these babies as soon as I receive them.

just bought 3 of these at 299 a piece..........now to read the whole thread again to learn more about this monitor

also, will a 5870 run this on eyefinity w/o a problem for normal applications?

and how will the gaming be on the 5870?

What are 10e's settings? I wish this type of info would go in a wiki or the first post,

I'm setting up 4 of these babies as soon as I receive them.

http://hardforum.com/showpost.php?p=1037603902&postcount=547

just bought 3 of these at 299 a piece..........now to read the whole thread again to learn more about this monitor

I ran Crysis 2 on three 1920x1200 monitors and lowered the settings two notches from the top and it was pretty good on my original reference 5870.

Regular applications should be fine with EyeFinity, but I turn it off for normal desktop use. Because it's one huge desktop if you maximize a window it stretches over all three screens.

awesome 10e, thanks for that. I guess I wont be using eyefinity for normal use as I need the seperation of the 3 windows.

Because it's one huge desktop if you maximize a window it stretches over all three screens.

It's worth pointing out there is also the option of setting up Hydragrid. Then you just need to get used to attach-to-grid'ing, rather than maximize.

EDIT: or alt + click on maximize also seems to work.

Last edited:
can't understand why you link your settings, is this something useful to others?

Because he was asked to. Its quite obvious that youre going for this. These settings are suggestive, and "free to try". Many have found them helpful, myself included. No one lives in an illusion that those settings can be used as a snap 'calibration' to your individual screen. Nor have anyone claimed so.

It's worth pointing out there is also the option of setting up Hydragrid. Then you just need to get used to attach-to-grid'ing, rather than maximize.

EDIT: or alt + click on maximize also seems to work.

Thanks, I'll try that out. For some reason my AMD Catalyst drivers take forever to add/remove. Might try a wipe and re-install.

got my replacement, everything seems fine...

So no more yellowish tint on whites? Good stuff. Enjoy!

Just curious, but where are people picking these up for $299? That's like 25% off.

Got mine today, a color profile now it matches my 2209WA perfect. I couldn't be more happy with it. No dead pixels and no weirdness at all. I am pretty picky about colors since I do some graphics.

Yo, this may be a little OT, but does anyone know if the power LED can be turned off? That was actually my favorite feature of the zr22w.

so just finishing my first week with my 3, and so far i'm pretty happy. IPS glow is there if you look for it, ie dark room/black background, but otherwise isn't really a factor. No noticeable ghosting. Panel looks to be pretty uniform, viewing angles are perfect running 3 in portrait.

All in all, very satisfied with this purchase. Also, have to say that I switched one monitor back to landscape today to try it out for comparison purposes and started up a couple games at 1920x1200. It was alarmingly small by comparison, and getting them back in portrait eyefinity felt like such a relief =)

Yo, this may be a little OT, but does anyone know if the power LED can be turned off? That was actually my favorite feature of the zr22w.

Can't find an option for this, might have to be the blu-tack method. :)

So after going back and forth on it I decided to exchange mine for a non-bleeder. How has the exchange process gone for those that have swapped? So far, it's been a bit of a nightmare for me. Dell telephone support transferred me around 5 times before I spoke with supposedly the right person and now I've been e-mailing back and forth with her for two days with still no confirmation that they're going to ship out the replacement.

Okay so mine should arrive tomorrow.

Please point me in the right direction...
1) What flaws should I look for? How does one define this "bleeding" flaw? How does one test for it? Yellow tint should be easy.
2) Can I test it with software? Dead pixels?
3) Are there any free calibration tools that might be useful?
4) What settings should I try? I have read references to 10e?

Thanks!

someone can feel free to correct me, but in general:

1) backlight bleed vs ips glow - bleed will look constant regardless of angle, ips glow will appear typically at the corners the more extreme offangle from you. That is to say, if you move your position relative to the monitor and the glow increases/decreases in intensity, that's going to be IPS glow. Best way to test for either if on a black background with minimal ambient light.
2) Not sure on software. How much bleed there is would be more of a observation imo, but if you're talking about uniformity and other issues you can always use calibrators and other tools to test. Personally, I'm not quite at that level and someone else would have to be the one to point you in that direction.
3)For actual calibration tools, I don't think there's any that are free. Most I believe will require an investment, and range from relatively cheap to very expensive. I1D2 and the Spyders get mentioned a lot, although I don't have any experience with them.
4)10e did calibrate his monitor, and posted what settings he went with. While every panel is different and therefore his calibration won't match yours precisely, it is probably a very good start for those who don't want to do it themselves or aren't quite as picky. As linked a few posts up, the settings used were discussed at http://hardforum.com/showpost.php?p=1037603902&postcount=547

Last edited:
Thanks.

Using Google Images helps to define some of the terms.

I have a relatively dark room here and just activated the "blank" screen saver in windows (using my FP2001) and noticed some reddish glow in the lower corners that change in intensity depending on my position.

Hey guys, is there a way to run the u2412m in 75 hz? Do I need a special cable? I read something about a dual DVI... but I'm not sure :)

Thanks.

Using Google Images helps to define some of the terms.

I have a relatively dark room here and just activated the "blank" screen saver in windows (using my FP2001) and noticed some reddish glow in the lower corners that change in intensity depending on my position.

Here's also a site with quick blank screen, and solid color backgrounds for defective pixel check.

The glow you describe sounds like IPS-glow. Adjusting the tilt (so that you're looking the screen from more "straight" direction) and your viewing distance from the monitor may help a little.

Last edited:
Back