Dell U2410

I just got my U2410. I have a PS3 and a HDMI 1.3 cable. How do I get the best color (supposedly the 1.07B colors) from my new toy? Thanks a lot!

Just got mine. Really nice monitor. I got REV A06 manufactured in November 2011. Bought it for $404.10 shipped from $449 promo with 10% stackable coupon.

Last edited:
I just got my U2410. I have a PS3 and a HDMI 1.3 cable. How do I get the best color (supposedly the 1.07B colors) from my new toy? Thanks a lot!

I use the RGB mode and I find that to be the best overall.

Have any of you used the built in split screen mode that the panel has?

like use dvi and vga at the same time? It's like picture in picture. It was useful once while staging a machine and watching you tube and that was about it.

the u2410 is $466 with this coupon code ZXP20F740G$W11.

I think I am going to pull the trigger tonight. 33 Bucks off for each monitor's sale price is pretty good.

So I bought this monitor a few months ago. I bought it to use for gaming on the PC and xbox 360 and just general PC use. It has been good in all respects. No noticeable lag for gaming and the picture just looks good in general.

Oh, for those that use tube amps...

I had my amp under the menu buttons and it sets off the capacitive sensor in it so the bottom light would turn blue and kind of pulsate. I moved amp and it stopped doing that.

So I bought this monitor a few months ago. I bought it to use for gaming on the PC and xbox 360 and just general PC use. It has been good in all respects. No noticeable lag for gaming and the picture just looks good in general.

bought this over a year ago. still going strong

Hi All:

I have been using the Dell U2410 monitor via its DVI-D port for around 6 months. It has worked without issues.

I just built a new PC and started using the U2410 in a dual monitors configuration (along with a U3011) with TWO DisplayPort cables from my new video card. The U3011 has worked without issues thus far. The U2410, however, would not display its highest resolution. Only resolutions below 1920 x 1200 are available!! Furthermore, it was only able to be at 24Hz!

I did a great deal of troubleshooting before writing this. I swapped DisplayPort cables: both cables proved to be fine. I tried BOTH ports from the video card: both ports work fine with the 30" U3011. The ONLY item (the only possibility) is that the DisplayPort of the U2410 is defective!

Reconnecting the U2410 via the DVI-D cable works again. Hence, it is only the DisplayPort input that is seemingly the broken part.

May I ask if this is a common issue with the U2410? What might be the best resolution of this problem?

Thank you all in advance.

Oh, for those that use tube amps...

I had my amp under the menu buttons and it sets off the capacitive sensor in it so the bottom light would turn blue and kind of pulsate. I moved amp and it stopped doing that.

I had two of them on my desk at work for a while (I moved to a new position and couldn't take them along), and when they were set next to each other the right monitor would set off the left's buttons.

Thinking about getting mine serviced now. Bought mine back in November 2009 when everyone was reporting backlight issues and discoloration. Mine probably suffers from those still but they were minute enough for me to ignore. Currently the only problem mine suffers from is the power button LED flickers in and out randomly like a light bulb that's about to burn out, it's kind of annoying. Does anyone know how the latest revisions of this display are?

Hey guys, what's a good way to check for this tint issue? I'm selling both of my U2410s and I think they are getting passed over because one is A00 and one is A01. I personally haven't noticed anything wrong during the time I've had them, but I want to double check. Do I just put on a all white background and check for color uniformity?

Just received a A05 rev of this monitor last week. After many hours of calibration with my Spyder4 Pro (WG approved) and software (I even messed with dispcalgui/Argyll which gave me pretty poor results) I've decided that AdobeRGB works best for me. However, I've got the dreaded tinting problem.

I notice the reddish tint most on gray backgrounds. I'm a graphic designer (mainly print but also web) and I feel like this will really bug me forever in Photoshop since it's pretty visible in the bottom right quadrant of the document view and takes up approx. 40% of my screen! It is least noticeable in Custom mode but I'd like to stay away from that mode. It may not be bad enough to affect my prints but it is noticeable enough to trouble me.

My dilemma is that I got this monitor on sale from kmart.com since they had so many coupons stacked for this thing. For some reason, they have now "temporarily" deactivated the monitor. I'm pretty sure to return this thing all I need to do is take it to my local kmart store and drop it off but I'm not sure an exchange would be possible now.

At work we have NEC LCD2490WUXi2 monitors. They aren't WG but are extended gamut and much easier to calibrate as x-rite has a special i1 display 2 puck made for that monitor. This monitor used to be near a grand but is now sitting at $650 + $30 shipping on Amazon. I will say that at home I do about 70% gaming and 30% working and I know the U2410 works well with or without gaming mode on for me even in Tribes Ascend. The U2410 is 6ms GTG but the NEC is 8ms GTG (16ms).

Knowing what you now know should I:
A. Return it and buy the NEC.
B. Contact Dell for a replacement.
C. Deal with it.
D. Other.
U2412M?

Decide quickly because I don't have the luxury of time in this case. Thanks!

Last edited:
If you can live with it then keep it. Otherwise you'll get more of the same from Dell. This issue has been noted for a long time, unfortunately, no one knows the cause of tinting.

If you can live with it then keep it. Otherwise you'll get more of the same from Dell. This issue has been noted for a long time, unfortunately, no one knows the cause of tinting.

Thanks for replying. That's kind of what I figured. I do still like the peace of mind that if a dead pixel is found, Dell will exchange within 3 years. However, I'm not a fan of their choice to outright exclude tinting from their return policy.

I'll add a fourth option here, would the Dell UltraSharp U2412M be a better alternative than the NEC if I were to return this monitor to kmart? My main issue is with its cheaper IPS panel and LED backlighting as well as its viewing angles. I don't want an IPS monitor that resembles a TN panel if that's what we're talking about here.

@BoomSlang001

We have NEC LCD2490WUXi2 monitors at work, too. And I have U2410 at home, just like you. Only it's A10. My unit has no tinting or other issues, but it still looks miserable beside the NEC (I tested both side by side).

Another coincidence: I also have Spyder4Pro calibrator, and also use Argyll CMS/dispcalGUI combo. I'm a graphics designer, too (print, mostly), and I also mostly do gaming at home. Heck, it's like I'm looking in the mirror here. :D

Anyway, since I know both monitors quite well, and our demands are similar, I would suggest returning the Dell and grabbing the NEC. I haven't tested the NEC in games, unfortunately, but my boss assures me that he had played Battlefield 3 on it and everything was peachy. Response time is pretty much irrelevant in this case, it's the input lag that matters, and the NEC seems to have about the same amount of input lag as U2410 without game mode, according to Prad.de -- 33ms average.

For me, personally, NEC LCD2490WUXi2 has only two minuses -- inability to rotate from side to side and poor connectivity (especially, the lack of HDMI port). Also, it's a real shame they removed A-TW polarizer from this model. Everything else is simply perfect.

Also important: Due to the absence of hardware LUT, calibration is a joke on U2410 (unless you have a 10 bit DisplayPort connection), while the NEC provides all the necessary hardware means for successful calibration. Although to me LCD2490WUXi2 looks great right out of the box (unlike U2410, which is a "wild gamut" mess).

Thanks for replying. That's kind of what I figured. I do still like the peace of mind that if a dead pixel is found, Dell will exchange within 3 years. However, I'm not a fan of their choice to outright exclude tinting from their return policy.

I'll add a fourth option here, would the Dell UltraSharp U2412M be a better alternative than the NEC if I were to return this monitor to kmart? My main issue is with its cheaper IPS panel and LED backlighting as well as its viewing angles. I don't want an IPS monitor that resembles a TN panel if that's what we're talking about here.

The U2412M has more visual similarities to the NEC than the U2410 does IMHO.

In terms of viewing angles they are as good as the NEC, and there is possibly even less white IPS glow. Also since it isn't trying to control the back-light as strictly you can get better black levels from it than the NEC.

I'm not saying it's a better screen than either the U2410 or NEC LCD2490WUXi2-BK but for the money it's a pretty good one.

@BoomSlang001

We have NEC LCD2490WUXi2 monitors at work, too. And I have U2410 at home, just like you. Only it's A10. My unit has no tinting or other issues, but it still looks miserable beside the NEC (I tested both side by side).

Another coincidence: I also have Spyder4Pro calibrator, and also use Argyll CMS/dispcalGUI combo. I'm a graphics designer, too (print, mostly), and I also mostly do gaming at home. Heck, it's like I'm looking in the mirror here. :D

Anyway, since I know both monitors quite well, and our demands are similar, I would suggest returning the Dell and grabbing the NEC. I haven't tested the NEC in games, unfortunately, but my boss assures me that he had played Battlefield 3 on it and everything was peachy. Response time is pretty much irrelevant in this case, it's the input lag that matters, and the NEC seems to have about the same amount of input lag as U2410 without game mode, according to Prad.de -- 33ms average.

For me, personally, NEC LCD2490WUXi2 has only two minuses -- inability to rotate from side to side and poor connectivity (especially, the lack of HDMI port). Also, it's a real shame they removed A-TW polarizer from this model. Everything else is simply perfect.

Also important: Due to the absence of hardware LUT, calibration is a joke on U2410 (unless you have a 10 bit DisplayPort connection), while the NEC provides all the necessary hardware means for successful calibration. Although to me LCD2490WUXi2 looks great right out of the box (unlike U2410, which is a "wild gamut" mess).

Haha, gotta love those coincidences :D. Really, that well informs my decision vs just having someone spout an opinion based on panel tech alone or something. Thank you!

Yeah, I need accurate color when I do graphic design but I game far more. Now, I do still have my Samsung PX2370 next to me that I was thinking of selling. If certain games don't work well with the NEC, I can always go back. The only thing is that I'm very particular about motion and so I do notice slight differences. However, in Gaming mode on the U2410 I could only notice a very minor change between that and any other mode (once tricked back into sRGB for better colors :p).

The Spyder4 has done a good job calibrating this monitor for sure with its newer techniques for WG monitors but obviously have a specialized calibrator for the NEC would benefit me greatly. My question though, is if I could borrow the calibrator from work and use it-then down the line when I move to a new place go without calibration? I just don't want to buy a new calibrator if the color deviation will be imperceptible. However, I do still believe I can return the Spyder4 Pro no question asked so that will help me spend the extra cash on the specialized calibrator from x-rite.

I think I will go with the NEC and return the Dell. It's just not worth the hassle for wide gamut and with this damn tinting issue. Thanks guys.

Now, I do still have my Samsung PX2370 next to me that I was thinking of selling.

Jesus! Another coincidence -- I also have an old Samsung next to me (although it's 22") that I was thinking of selling. Now it's becoming creepy! :eek:

Anyway, it's a good call to stick with the NEC option. It's a great monitor, calibrated or not, and as for gaming, it should be virtually no difference from U2410. As for the pure response time, the difference between the listed GTG times (6ms vs 8ms) should be virtually non-existent. But it depends on individual level of perception. Since you have a NEC available at work, you may consider trying it for some fast moving imagery to see if you notice anything unpleasant.

Jesus! Another coincidence -- I also have an old Samsung next to me (although it's 22") that I was thinking of selling. Now it's becoming creepy! :eek:

Anyway, it's a good call to stick with the NEC option. It's a great monitor, calibrated or not, and as for gaming, it should be virtually no difference from U2410. As for the pure response time, the difference between the listed GTG times (6ms vs 8ms) should be virtually non-existent. But it depends on individual level of perception. Since you have a NEC available at work, you may consider trying it for some fast moving imagery to see if you notice anything unpleasant.

Haha, no kidding! I read some reviews (prad I believe) and it looks like the actual response time ranges from 15ms faster to 25ms slower. I never knew there was such a variance in response times. They did claim there was some input lag but I'm hoping my Razer mouse and keyboard give me a slight boost there. I notice no input lag between them and the U2410. *crosses fingers*

I never knew there was such a variance in response times.

Beats me, too. Grey-to-grey or black-white-black tests should give pretty much fixed results. Probably they are testing different combinations, like grey-to-color, black-white-color, color-to-color, etc. Hence the variations.

Hi all,

I have a U2410 that won't power on. It's a refurbished model that replaced a defective 2408FPW. They replaced it with a 2408 that had very poor color and when I complained, they sent me a 2410. Lucky me! Unfortunately, the original 2408 purchase is more than 3 years ago, so I am stuck.

I'm sure I can repair this myself and the panel is certainly in good condition. But first, does anyone know how to disassemble this beast? I only see four screws in the VESA mount, but after that, I'm not sure where the back separates from the bezel.

Thanks for the link. I'll have to tamper more with prying... It's so well sealed I couldn't tell where to separate.

I bought Asus PA246Q and returned it within 1 week because it was having diagonally half screen red tint. Even the retailer offerred me a replacement of same model but the other one was also having same issue. Hence decided to take a refund and now purchased Dell U2410 with Rev. A09.

The monitor is giving perfect no fault service. Colors are identical what I was seeing in Asus but text is much sharper than Asus.

Now one question : How to get the Factorey Menu ?

How to get the Factorey Menu ?

See those LED indicators above the power button? Turn the monitor off, cover the second and the fourth indicators with your fingers, as shown below, and turn the monitor on with your fingers still covering the indicators. Once all the indicators light up, press the uppermost indicator and you'll get the factory menu.

o
o <--
o
o <--
o

I suggest you take a photo of the factory menu before making any changes to the RGB values there. Because there is no way of reverting them to default factory settings.

Sorry to bump this but I had to warrenty exchange one of my pair of U2410s I bought in Feb 2010. Both were Rev A01 with firmware M1F191 from the factory.

Got a new one Friday and its Rev A07 and the screen seems MUCH crisper than my other one. Both are U2410Fs so they are from the same factory I believe? The new one has firmware M1F1A1.

Is there anything I can do to update the firmware on my older one to match? Were there hardware changes from Rev A01 to A07 making the screen crisper? I tried adjusting both monitors and there's nothing I can do to get them to match and and driving me crazy.

Thanks!

Is there anything I can do to update the firmware on my older one to match?

I don't think updating the firmware will make your old panel look crispier. Most likely, it's a panel issue. AFAIK, all firmware updates since rev A02 were purely cosmetic (OSD tweaking and such), no actual hardware changes were introduced. So if your old panel looks different and no calibration/adjustment helps, I'm afraid that's gonna stay that way.

I just got u2412m and it's for graphic design am thinking of switching it out for 2410.
are there still tinting issues in latest revisions?
or do I just keep my 3 2412ms?

I just got u2412m and it's for graphic design am thinking of switching it out for 2410.
are there still tinting issues in latest revisions?
or do I just keep my 3 2412ms?

The tinting issue seems to be resolved in the later revisions, but I still suggest you keep your 2412ms, for completely different reasons. As you may be aware, the 2410 is wide gamut. Wide gamut may be usable in professional photography, but in graphics design it causes more problems than benefits.

Besides, in order to look acceptable, it is necessary for a 2410 to be calibrated. And this ain't no easy ride, let me tell you. Unlike truly professional models, U2410 has no real means of hardware calibration, depending on the video card's internal LUT, which generally ends up with banded gradients (to the point that it may be unacceptable for professional design work).

Is there any visible difference between U2410 and 2412 in fast games like CS:S ?? What do You think ? It is said that 2410 has higer input lag than 2412... but will it be visible in real game ?

although now I have 2209WA and I am pretty satisfied with it in gaming and I wonder if it is faster than U2410 ????

Thanks for suggestion

I picked up a u2410 (rev. A08) a couple of days ago when it dropped to $375. I am not a graphics professional, just a video gamer, so this monitor is much more capable than I need. Thus far, I think it's great but have a few minor quibbles. On the lagom.nl tests, I can't seem to get clear definition between 30-32, specifically on pink, red and blue bars. Additionally, 252-254 on the white saturation test is a fail.

I run the monitor in sRGB mode and there don't seem to be many manual adjustments. I have an nvidia gfx card. Manually adjusting monitor contrast doesn't help the contrast test, so which gfx card settings should I tinker with? Also, what settings should I adjust to affect white saturation? I know the monitor is capable of showing all the white values because I downloaded someone else's calibrated .icc file and it properly displayed the entire white range.

Thanks!

p.s. let's try to avoid the troll responses that I am an idiot because I bought the wrong monitor for my needs. It's what I have and I'm gonna make it work!

edit: switching from vga to hdmi made a HUGE difference.

Last edited:
Back