Dell U2311H

I find the "IPS-glow" pretty frustrating. I just watched a movie and no matter how I sat in my chair (leaned back or not) there was always a golden glow in the lower left corner or even the right one. It is QUITE ANNOYING, esp. because the movie was not full screen, so there was vertical black space above and below it and the glow was noticeable.

Does it not bother you guys when watching movies etc???

I can relate to what your experiencing. I feel the glow/tint makes a near perfect monitor, imperfect, and it can really bother me if I think about it.

In the end though, IMO, these negatives do not outweigh the positives of this monitor.

I recommended calibrating it as well if you haven't. If you lack the tools try bringing the "green" down to about 94-95 and see how it looks.

So a $199 U2311(that's the price I paid in Canada), that I am awaiting, needs a $200 professional calibrator to make it viewable? :confused:

Comparing my 24" to my 19" Samsung (which has horrid glow and is a TN) makes all the QC glow issues go away.

Is there a fix for this monitor not coming out of stand-by/sleep?? The computer wakes up just fine, via the mouse, but the monitor stays asleep.

I'm using the stock DVI cable, HIS HD5850 graphics card, and Windows 7 64-bit

still looking for a solution to this problem if anyone has encountered this. I can't be the only one

Just received mine yesterday. First IPS panel. Am very happy with it. On the Box is written A02. In SIW for Windows it states Date of Manufacture: 2010 Week 46.

I'm very happy with it. At $199 with sale and coupon its a steal.

Its my first IPS Panel. Watched Ironman 2 and Dark Knight. Notice no IPS Glow. Never hurt my eyes. Back light bleeding almost non-existent. On a white screen no pink or blue tint. FPS games were no different to my 2ms TN monitor. Metro 2033, Mafia 2 & COD Black Ops had no streaking.

Its great to finally have a monitor that tilts and swivels and shows uniform colors from any angle.

Remember I'm no expert.

So an all-white screen was really white? Or was it slightly "dirtier" on the left side of the screen?

Rev A02? I wonder what they fix in this version.

At the moment, mine is pretty good with very minor uniformity issues where it's slightly darker on the left side. BUT if this revision can solve even that, it might be worth it to go for another replacement. I wish it wasn't this hard to get a fine quality product from Dell,though.

Rev A02? I wonder what they fix in this version.

At the moment, mine is pretty good with very minor uniformity issues where it's slightly darker on the left side. BUT if this revision can solve even that, it might be worth it to go for another replacement. I wish it wasn't this hard to get a fine quality product from Dell,though.

It is pretty sad, I had 3x A01s, all had bad yellow tinting and large concentrated areas of back-light bleed on one of them. If A02 fixes that, I would buy them back today. Other than the crappy LG screen, everything was perfect.

Yeah, I've had 2x A01 and both have dirtier left side of the screen and I find the IPS glow annoying too. I can't believe how so many people drool over this monitor and claim it's so great and blahblah, when it really ISN'T THAT great. I mean, yes, the colors are indeed nice and everything, and the viewing angles ARE better than on a TN panel, but what does this help me when I have to sit straight and watch movies from the centered position only, so to avoid the IPS glow (very annoying on black frames) in the lower left/right corners!! The idea behind purchasing an IPS screen was to be able to lean back in my chair and watch a movie comfortably without having to worry about any viewing angle distractions or "glows," so yeah whatever.

I can understand those people who got this monitor for dirt cheap to be claiming it's great and whatnot, I guess I would say that too. But I paid 245 € for it over here, which equals to about $320, and I would expect better quality for such money.

@lancelot48: Are you sure it's an A02? Could you please check your box again and tell us what exactly it says on the sticker? (You can also check the back of your panel). When I asked about A02 an employee at Dell and that I saw it available on some German sites he said "That's news to me." That's why I'd like to reconfirm with you...

Maybe I LIKE the monitor because
1. I never had a IPS Panel.
2. I had no great expectations.

All 16 days (that's how long it took to come) I was reading about QC issues, IPS Glow which makes viewing movies painful to the eye (never watch movies on the monitor) and uniformity of color from left to right. The only reason I did not regret ordering was because it was cheap. If it turned out a disaster i could write off $199. Hell my Asus VE 278Q cost me $400.

I've approached the Monitor not willing to nit pick. It has exceeded my expectations. The White screen appears uniformly white, no dead pixels, black looks black. To me, an unprofessional, the colors appear, admittedly less vibrant, but more realistic than the TN panel. It also doesn't change every time I move my head up or down.I haven't calibrated it cause I have no calibrator. It appears to work well out of the BOX.

The Box say Revision A02. The SIW say:

Date of Manufacture: 2010 Week 46
EDID: 2 revision 3

The only problem I have is going from a 27 inch (Asus VE278h) to a 23". The latter is large leap in size downwards.:)

So my girlfriend bought me my 3rd U2311 for Christmas. It's a REVA01 just like my other two but the stand they shipped me is like 1.5" shorter than my other two. Anyone know what's up with this? It's pretty annoying as they are now not as tall as I'd like them to be cause I had to shorten to meet the new monitors height.

It is back up to $319 USD. The pricing on this monitor seems to always fluctuate, since it was just $279 for the last few days. Since I hate all the price flucuations, I'm starting to lean toward the NEC 23", as it got a good review on Prad.de website.

If anyone else can confirm they are now shipping A02, and all the problems are gone, I may reconsider. I need a couple of good monitors for video production work, but I'm not ready to go the expensive Eizo route yet. My clients don't even care or ask what kind of monitor I edit or proof on.

3 of these in eyefinity would be good for gaming right? I've done a lot of research on which monitors the last few days but haven't posted in this thread yet after being 99% sure this is the model that best suits me.

Never had a Dell Monitor but happy with my new U2311. Trymy best to find some fault (colors, tint etc) the only thing I can moan about is the damn monitor is to small. I have a Asus VE278Q, which I am returning. But then its my first IPS so I cannot compare.

From what I read it appears a crap shoot what monitor and which version you get. Also QC appears to vary.:)

@lancelot48 since you said you recently purchased this U2311H and received a REV A02, could you tell me what country you are in? I wish to purchase one in the USA, but I'm trying to make sure REV A00 is still not the one being shipped here. From all I've read, I can only verify REV A01 had shipped to European markets and never actually read A01 made it to the States.
Thanks for taking time to reply.

i am having a similar experience as jon. after reading a lot of review and hype for a IPS monitor i expected a lot and it was a let down when i first turn it on. color and angle was great but the glow was too obvious especially when watching a movie. i am on the fence as to do a refund or exchange (my came in with a less than perfect panel (marks, smudges, scratches)). i was happy that there was no dead pixel and some tests i did in ps shows little color variation and that is what i will be using this mainly for. got this a01 last week. this particular monitor was within my budget and had feature i was looking for for eyefinity setup. what to do..

I bought an A01 that exhibits the tinting (left: yellow; right: purple) a week ago. Since A02 is available in Germany, I'm sending it back for a full refund. An A02 is already on its way to me and should arrive tomorrow or on thursday.
The other candidate I've had in the last two weeks was a BenQ EW2420, which had less aggressive AG Coating, but the colors were to blue/greenish for my taste (I don't have a hardware calibrator). The Dell's default settings are already excellent (the yellow and orange really punch me in the face!), so I'll try my luck with an A02.

I'll report my findings.

I bought an A01 that exhibits the tinting (left: yellow; right: purple) a week ago. Since A02 is available in Germany, I'm sending it back for a full refund. An A02 is already on its way to me and should arrive tomorrow or on thursday.
The other candidate I've had in the last two weeks was a BenQ EW2420, which had less aggressive AG Coating, but the colors were to blue/greenish for my taste (I don't have a hardware calibrator). The Dell's default settings are already excellent (the yellow and orange really punch me in the face!), so I'll try my luck with an A02.

I'll report my findings.

Please do report. I'm curious if the tinting issue has been fixed.

For those that received A01 models, did you purchase directly from Dell or some other place?
Also, has anyone purchased new monitors from say eBay and returned to Dell due to tinting or other QC issues? I'm just debating whether to play it safe and order direct from dell or go the cheaper route and by some place else that has them new and with the full warranty.

My A02 is purchased in Canada. That's on the Box. According to Systems Information for Windows software(SIW) it was Manufactured in Week 46. It was on sale during Christmas for $239.99 and they honored my coupon, after a phone call and sold me for 199.99. I think its a crap shoot what you get with Dell. I like the Monitor, except for the size. At the moment the U2711 is on sale here for $649.99. So I regret not having waited.:)

Never had a IPS or Dell so I cannot say what improvements are made.

My A02 is purchased in Canada. That's on the Box. According to Systems Information for Windows software(SIW) it was Manufactured in Week 46. It was on sale during Christmas for $239.99 and they honored my coupon, after a phone call and sold me for 199.99. I think its a crap shoot what you get with Dell. I like the Monitor, except for the size. At the moment the U2711 is on sale here for $649.99. So I regret not having waited.:)

Never had a IPS or Dell so I cannot say what improvements are made.

Whoa!

Could you - or anybody else - clarify this for me. I'm seeing the U2711 listed at the Dell Canada website for $849... how do you take it down to $649?

The $849 sale only lasts until Friday morning, and I've really been debating with myself - if it's actually $649 then it's a no brainer.

Last edited:
I had no idea the A02's would hit Canada so fast!

Now I'm debating whether to get another replacement, but I'm afraid to take another spin on their quality control.

I'm torn. I've got both, the A01 and the A02 on my desk, and they are a bit different.

Tinting is better on the A02. The yellow tint on the left side is improved, it's about 60% less expansive compared to the A01. Instead, they added a very slight purple tint, which is more uniform with the purple on the right I guess /sarcasm.

Apart from that, the A02 is slightly redder than the A01 in the default setting, but I guess that comes down to the panel lottery.

One thing that's bugging me is that the A02 does not pass the flicker test. It flickers more, compared to the A01. With a certain pattern, it even displays a "color shift" when you quickly scroll the page up and down. If you don't know what I mean, I made a video. A02 is on the left.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eKXXo0Wx06w&feature=youtube_gdata_player

What do guys think, will that be noticeable in normale use (I do play games), or can I live with it?

I'm torn. I've got both, the A01 and the A02 on my desk, and they are a bit different.

Tinting is better on the A02. The yellow tint on the left side is improved, it's about 60% less expansive compared to the A01. Instead, they added a very slight purple tint, which is more uniform with the purple on the right I guess /sarcasm.

Apart from that, the A02 is slightly redder than the A01 in the default setting, but I guess that comes down to the panel lottery.

One thing that's bugging me is that the A02 does not pass the flicker test. It flickers more, compared to the A01. With a certain pattern, it even displays a "color shift" when you quickly scroll the page up and down. If you don't know what I mean, I made a video. A02 is on the left.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eKXXo0Wx06w&feature=youtube_gdata_player

What do guys think, will that be noticeable in normale use (I do play games), or can I live with it?

Hmm, from the video A01 seems better than A02 in terms of "color shift." But it's really hard to say from a video like that. On my A01 the gray background in the Lagom test remains gray when I scroll up and down the way you did in the vid. But I do notice it's brighter on the right and darker on the left.

It's a shame how Dell keeps releasing these half-ass products even with all the revisions in play. Really disappointing.

How about the "golden" glow? I would assume nothing has been improved in this department.

Ok, bad news.

I rechecked the tinting in the dark. The A02 has far more yellow clouds than the a01, especially when viewed from a little distance. That, combined with the flicker kills it. It's going back to the shop. I'll keep the A01, since it doesn't seem that bad now, after all.

Pictures:

A01:
a01.JPG

A02:
a02.JPG

Both:
a02left-a01right.JPG

Apart from the one bleed/tint ner the upper left corner, the a01 seems pretty even.

Whoa!

Could you - or anybody else - clarify this for me. I'm seeing the U2711 listed at the Dell Canada website for $849... how do you take it down to $649?

The $849 sale only lasts until Friday morning, and I've really been debating with myself - if it's actually $649 then it's a no brainer.

Dell Canada Website is not the only store selling U2711.

http://www.bestdirect.ca/products/230471/U2711/Dell Computer/

Its priced there for $746.99.(CDN) Before Christmas they had U2411 for $499.99. But I hesitated too long and it went out of stock.

I live 10 minutes from them. Yesterday they agreed to sell me for $649.99 if I purchased right away. I chickened out. In Vancouver where I live they have plenty of supply.

Adding to some of my previous comments, I have to say I adore the way pictures and art look on this monitor. Web also has a fresh look when keeping the monitor in the portrait position. Definately an upgrade worth every penny over my very old 15" TN panel.

It still looks like ridicilously bad when playing movies compared to an old CRT TV. Bright is not bright, black is not black and resolution is scaled and so picture looks unsharp while it is sharp on the CRT. Somehow all the compressions artifacts are also highlighted on the monitor while the CRT seems to highlight edges and real detail. I guess this might be due to lack of contrast on tthe monitor.

So yellow color bleed or not, this is the wrong technology for movies people.

i am having a similar experience as jon. after reading a lot of review and hype for a IPS monitor i expected a lot and it was a let down when i first turn it on. color and angle was great but the glow was too obvious especially when watching a movie. i am on the fence as to do a refund or exchange (my came in with a less than perfect panel (marks, smudges, scratches)). i was happy that there was no dead pixel and some tests i did in ps shows little color variation and that is what i will be using this mainly for. got this a01 last week. this particular monitor was within my budget and had feature i was looking for for eyefinity setup. what to do..

Its my first time with an IPS. I don't watch movies on my monitor. I have a 60" TV for that purpose. But I'm trying my darndest to see the "glow" everyone keeps talking about when watching a movie. I watched for 10 mins. Am I missing something or just not as picky? :D

Its my first time with an IPS. I don't watch movies on my monitor. I have a 60" TV for that purpose. But I'm trying my darndest to see the "glow" everyone keeps talking about when watching a movie. I watched for 10 mins. Am I missing something or just not as picky? :D
If you don't see it, don't go looking for it. Once you spot it, you'll forever be noticing it.

But if you really want to see the glow, the easiest way is to turn off all lights in the room and make sure it's dark, put up a completely black image covering the entire screen (you can use something like this tool) and look at the screen at an acute angle.

You'll basically see what shown in this video: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fPlx42Gj1Nw

Back