Dell U2311H

I just got this to work in Windows 7. How did you apply the driver?

You need to select the option that allows you to 'Have disk', then it'll override the default driver. Then once applied go out of the control panel and back into it.

I now have mine running at 75hz.. Very weird when the onscreen display says max resolution is 1920x1080@60hz but it also reports my current screen mode as 1920x1080@75hz.

So what is the benefit of running at 75hz? I thought refresh rate didn't matter on TFT's?

I think it has something to do with my Samsung Plasma being a 3rd display attached, after I had tried applying the driver via 'Have Disk...' it strangely changed the EDID info for my Plasma to a 3rd U2311H, after a few driver and display uninstalls and reboots and an installation of powerstrip to fix the registry problem I was able to get all 3 displays working

I then successfully got the 75hz driver installed but once I select 75hz, and hit apply the screen goes blank and I get an OSD prompt on the monitor to reset my setting to 1920x1080,60hz

Figure that one out. :)

here is my issue
taken with Nikon D40x on stand with ISO 100
* the camera makes it a bit overkill due to its sensitivity compared to the human eye but you get the idea, the camera stand is a bit crooked
(pic removed)

To me that looks like really bad back light bleed but I could be wrong. What's it like with a full white image? Do you see colour tint like in my pics?

I think it has something to do with my Samsung Plasma being a 3rd display attached, after I had tried applying the driver via 'Have Disk...' it strangely changed the EDID info for my Plasma to a 3rd U2311H, after a few driver and display uninstalls and reboots and an installation of powerstrip to fix the registry problem I was able to get all 3 displays working

I then successfully got the 75hz driver installed but once I select 75hz, and hit apply the screen goes blank and I get an OSD prompt on the monitor to reset my setting to 1920x1080,60hz

Figure that one out. :)

LOL I think I'll pass. ;) I can imagine the plasma being connected could be having an effect on how Win 7 applies the driver. Strange that it applies it to all devices though.

Have you tested with just one U2311h connected?

Does anybody know if there is a secret factory menu and how to open it?
Turn off the monitor, hold down the 1st and 2nd monitor buttons (i.e. top two) and turn the monitor on. When the screen is on, release the two buttons and press the top button, you'll get a blue factory menu. To exit from the menu just turn the monitor off and on again.

You can also see how long the backlight has been on by turning off the monitor, press and hold the 1st and 3rd monitor buttons, turn the monitor on and then releasing the buttons you were holding down. Again, to exit from that menu, just turn the monitor off and on again.

I hope those instructions make sense.

anybody is using a xbox 360 on this monitor? im thinking to buy one of these to use it with xbox 360 with a hdmi-dvi connector and want to know some opinions of people that use it with 360 or ps3 consoles.

anybody is using a xbox 360 on this monitor? im thinking to buy one of these to use it with xbox 360 with a hdmi-dvi connector and want to know some opinions of people that use it with 360 or ps3 consoles.

I use my xbox360 launch console via VGA, and I love this monitor. I have the soundbar hooked up via a 3.5" coupler, and use the soundbar out to my ATH-M50s :)

All in all, I mostly liked this monitor since it was one of the xbox's supported resolutions (1600x900 - my pervious monitor - was strangely not supported).

whaddya want to know about it? I do have a Jasper that I occasionally hook up via HDMI-->DVI adaptor, but that console mostly stays in the family room (since it makes MUCH less noice than my 12V modded xenon :p).

I use my xbox360 launch console via VGA, and I love this monitor. I have the soundbar hooked up via a 3.5" coupler, and use the soundbar out to my ATH-M50s :)

All in all, I mostly liked this monitor since it was one of the xbox's supported resolutions (1600x900 - my pervious monitor - was strangely not supported).

whaddya want to know about it? I do have a Jasper that I occasionally hook up via HDMI-->DVI adaptor, but that console mostly stays in the family room (since it makes MUCH less noice than my 12V modded xenon :p).

thank you for your answer, when you say one of xbox supported resolutions you mean it doesnt do any scaling so image quality does not get affected right? and how abot color reproduction and ghosting?

thank you for your answer, when you say one of xbox supported resolutions you mean it doesnt do any scaling so image quality does not get affected right? and how abot color reproduction and ghosting?

The xbox scales to 1080p itself, so quality is the same as however the xbox scales it (Which is pretty good actually).

Colour reproduction seems fine, the image looks pretty good to me.

As for ghosting, can't say I notice any, and I'm playing fast paced FPSs such as Halo.

Color resproduction is a bit lessor than my desktop (IMO), but my desktop has a color profile from calibration. Ghosting... not on any xbox game I play (Halo ODST, Reach, Wars/ Black Ops/Kinect Adventures (yeah, I tried it)). Image quality is spotless, though it's up to the individual game on scaling. What I meant be my previous scaling comment was the xbox360 itself didn't support the strange 1600x900 resolution via VGA, which is a nonissue with this monitor.

Just bought a second u2311h during the sale in Canada.

Dual screening with my u2311h's is pretty awesome!

Hey guys, I'm new here. Just yesterday I purchased a Dell u2311h (REV A01) for my Macbook Pro, but I'm not that happy with it.

Here's what my complaints would be:

1. I can hear a barely audible, yet still annoying buzzing sound from the back of the monitor. Is there anything that could be done about it?? I tried rearranging the cables and also just plugging the monitor into one socket on my wall and my laptop into another socket (with just these two devices plugged in), but it didn't help.

However, if I increase the brightness on the monitor to 100, the buzzing sound will disappear. It is of no help to me though, since you can't live with a brightness level of 100!

2. If I look at the picture in the center of the monitor and then move my chair to the left and look at the RIGHT side of the monitor, the picture on that side will get slightly shadowy/glowy (even during the day). I thought that having an IPS panel would benefit me in this aspect??? Same thing if I look at a pic while sitting and then standing up will as well cast some "shadow" on the screen. The worst thing is at night in a completely dark room...

IMG_1824.jpg

IMG_1825.jpg

^^ The glow in the lower left/right corners can be perceived even during the day... I mean, what the heck! I don't really see such thing on my Macbook Pro screen (which, of course, is not IPS, but still - it seems better than the Dell monitor I have in terms of angle viewing!!!). Do you guys have any suggestions? :/

The glow in the lower left/right corners can be perceived even during the day... I mean, what the heck! I don't really see such thing on my Macbook Pro screen (which, of course, is not IPS, but still - it seems better than the Dell monitor I have in terms of angle viewing!!!). Do you guys have any suggestions? :/
The IPS glow is normal, but I definitely don't see it in the day or with the lights on, particularly if you're viewing it head on. I don't really see it with the lights off and when viewing the monitor straight on either. However, I certainly can see it if you move around and the monitor is displaying a completely black screen and the lights are off. To me, your camera/photos are grossly exaggerating the level of glow that the U2311H exhibits, particularly the 2nd picture, the head on shot.

Do note that the U2311H uses a e-IPS panel which whilst has better viewing angles than say TN panels, it's not as good as higher end S-IPS panels - that "shadow" you see when you stand up and look at the U2311H is example of this. Also since monitors with A-TW polarizers aren't being made any more, you'll see IPS glow on pretty much any monitor with an IPS panel.

I have no buzzing sound at all from my U2311H and I have 2 of them.

Last edited:
Any Canadians can tell me how long approximately will a U2311 take to arrive in Vancouver at this time of the year. Can't get an answer from the agent on the phone. Don't want to be insulting but cannot understand his accent. My monitor has gone kaput.

Maybe I'll be better off purchasing the U2410 locally. Is $540 CDN a good price?

The IPS glow is normal, but I definitely don't see it in the day or with the lights on, particularly if you're viewing it head on. I don't really see it with the lights off and when viewing the monitor straight on either. However, I certainly can see it if you move around and the monitor is displaying a completely black screen and the lights are off. To me, your camera/photos are grossly exaggerating the level of glow that the U2311H exhibits, particularly the 2nd picture, the head on shot.

Do note that the U2311H uses a e-IPS panel which whilst has better viewing angles than say TN panels, it's not as good as higher end S-IPS panels - that "shadow" you see when you stand up and look at the U2311H is example of this. Also since monitors with A-TW polarizers aren't being made any more, you'll see IPS glow on pretty much any monitor with an IPS panel.

I have no buzzing sound at all from my U2311H and I have 2 of them.

The pics you posted surely seem to look better in terms of "glow" than the ones I posted. I just tried it again in the dark: if I sit low there will be a slight glow in the lower left corner. However, if I raise my chair a bit, there will be more glow. As for the buzzing sound, could it harm the monitor in the long term? Which REV of U2311H do you own? Mine is A01 (Made in Checz Republic).

Another thing I've noticed is about the power plug: I pretty much "rammed" it into the monitor power port; in other words, it shouldn't be loose. But if I swivel the monitor and if there's not enough cable on the table (majority is below the table), it will start pulling the plug slightly, so you can hear some electricity crackling sound at the monitor plug as the one you hear if something is not well plugged-in. Of course this sound does not appear when the monitor is static, i.e. when you don't swivel it. Is this normal though? I thought the power plug would stay tighter once you plug it into the monitor....

Do you think I should get a replacement? Or a different monitor even?

The pics you posted surely seem to look better in terms of "glow" than the ones I posted. I just tried it again in the dark: if I sit low there will be a slight glow in the lower left corner. However, if I raise my chair a bit, there will be more glow. As for the buzzing sound, could it harm the monitor in the long term? Which REV of U2311H do you own? Mine is A01 (Made in Checz Republic).
It could be you have more glow on your panel than most, I don't know. I own two U2311H (both Rev A01, manufactured in October in Czech Republic) and they have the same level of glow and don't have buzzing from either. I doubt the buzzing is harmful to the monitor, annoying yes, but not destructive. There are quite a few reports that I've read of other monitors which exhibit buzzing at anything but 100 brightness too (i.e. Samsung 2443BW).

Another thing I've noticed is about the power plug: I pretty much "rammed" it into the monitor power port; in other words, it shouldn't be loose. But if I swivel the monitor and if there's not enough cable on the table (majority is below the table), it will start pulling the plug slightly, so you can hear some electricity crackling sound at the monitor plug as the one you hear if something is not well plugged-in. Of course this sound does not appear when the monitor is static, i.e. when you don't swivel it. Is this normal though? I thought the power plug would stay tighter once you plug it into the monitor....

Do you think I should get a replacement? Or a different monitor even?
I can swivel both my monitors fine without the power plug coming loose or making an electric crackling sound.

I would probably get a replacement if the defects trouble you, however I've read somewhere that Dell's replacements are refurbished models (?) - I'm not positive on that, but it's something to bear in mind. Also I'm not entirely sure if Dell will RMA your monitor on the basis that it's making sounds (you could exaggerate it in your emails to them/over the phone I suppose).

From the pictures posted above, that glow is really, really bad. Get it RMA'd. I can't even notice mine in the dark unless I'm at an extreme angle.

I/ My father received a U2311h today and got a strange problem: The panel has no pixel errors however there is a spot (about 1x1mm - it covers several "dots" of the panel partitially) where the color is always darker than elsewhere. It is hard to describe and impossible to fotograph but it almost looks like there is some dirt on the display (like a fingerprint or something) that you could just remove using a TFT-cleaning-cloth but you can't - it seams to be in the display somehow.

Has anyone ever experienced something similar?

Last edited:
I really think it is kind of dirty and no real mulfunction. However, since it cannot be removed easily we'll have to see if it bothers us and then ask for a new display or a refund. :)

I really think it is kind of dirty and no real mulfunction. However, since it cannot be removed easily we'll have to see if it bothers us and then ask for a new display or a refund. :)

Dell will try to help you get "perfection" on their ultrasharp series. I dunno if that applies to dead/dim pixels, or just the tinting issue...

Thanks but I will try to solve the problem with my dealer at first. The consumer protection law is very strong in the EU. :)

No problem. It's good to know that I also might have asked Dell for a solution. I do not hope so but I might have to do so one day. So thank you for your reply. :)

From the pictures posted above, that glow is really, really bad. Get it RMA'd. I can't even notice mine in the dark unless I'm at an extreme angle.
As I said in my previous post, I think his camera is just exaggerating it. You can see from his straight on shot that the black screen is basically blue.

I can emulate it with my camera:

4 second shutter speed (similar to what jon10's camera used):

0.6 second shutter speed (closer to what it looks like to me in reality):

However, his monitor could possibly have more IPS glow, but the images he posted aren't really good indications.

As I said in my previous post, I think his camera is just exaggerating it. You can see from his straight on shot that the black screen is basically blue.

However, his monitor could possibly have more IPS glow, but the images he posted aren't really good indications.

Even mine isn't that bad, and I have 2 of them. :p

I seriously doubt these monitors have variations in their IPS glow. It doesn't make technical sense, nor is there any precedent for it. There is not much point in complaining about it either, because even though PVA has a better dark state, its viewing angles are much narrower.

Ok, I'll try to take some more accurate snapshots in the dark. What's the best way to make the screen black? Previously I did it by reducing the contrast to 0. Will this be fine?

Thinking of getting 6 of these, but not sure if its going to be worth the hassle for the eyefinity 6 setup if there is that much variation.

Ok, I'll try to take some more accurate snapshots in the dark. What's the best way to make the screen black? Previously I did it by reducing the contrast to 0. Will this be fine?
No, set the monitor to how normally use it (brightness, contrast) and download this program and set the colour to black.

I can't say for sure, but it looks like you've got a bit of panel bleed in the upper middle left area. Except for the glow effect, dark should be uniform.

I've been making my way through this thread slowly (quite large), but had a few questions.

Is the stand on the monitor height adjustable at all? It's a bit higher than I'd like and it said it is on the Dell site, but I can't figure out how to do anything but tilt or flip it.

Secondly, I'm viewing my monitor pretty close up only a few feet away and on the bottom left side of the screen it's got a white glow effect and on the bottom right it's got a purplish glow (not as noticeable as the other side with the white). The effect comes more pronounced as I move my chair either one way or the other.

Is that just IPS glow and should I see it when viewing straight on? Is it just because I'm sitting so close?

I need to know if they are all going to be like that or not, if they are I can deal, if it's not supposed to be like that then I'd want to exchange it.

Yes, it rotates 90* in one direction for portrait, and is height adjustable to about 6-7 inches difference. Also swivels a bit, too :)

I just purchased two of these (A01) and have set up the first one. From what I can tell, it doesn't exhibit (excesssively) any of the issues described in this thread. I had an A00 several months ago that I returned due to tinting and cloudiness. I also picked up the sound bar and really like that too, except for the goofy LED right in the middle of it when it's on. If the other montior is as good as this one, I may end up keeping them both. :D I also noticed that they seem to have changed the mounting bracket on the stand. The old mounting arrangement allowed me to correct for a tilted screen, but I'm not sure I could do the same with this one. Fortunately, this one seems fairly level as is.

Back