Dell U2311H

Its my first time with an IPS. I don't watch movies on my monitor. I have a 60" TV for that purpose. But I'm trying my darndest to see the "glow" everyone keeps talking about when watching a movie. I watched for 10 mins. Am I missing something or just not as picky? :D

I guess the latter. ;)

Its my first time with an IPS. I don't watch movies on my monitor. I have a 60" TV for that purpose. But I'm trying my darndest to see the "glow" everyone keeps talking about when watching a movie. I watched for 10 mins. Am I missing something or just not as picky? :D

if your A02 look like defix's picture with the glow(corners) than i guess your not picky or your lucky for receiving a good one. picture watching a movie on that. for me the newer A02 is scaring me a bit and hope my replacement unit does not share the same problem.

So far the A02 seems kinda iffy... I was hoping it would see slight improvements across the board.

I don't want this to drag on any more so I'm gonna stick with the one I have, since it's not bad to begin with. Uniformity could be a bit better, but that's about it. Despite the horrid ordeal of replacing several times, the purchase was still a success overall due to it being on sale.

Maybe in a few years we'll see the successor to this model, and I hope by then buying from Dell won't feel like playing the lotto. I will say though, if the HP ZR24 didn't have that scaling issue, I would have gone straight for them.

Just placed an order for 3 U2311H's. Its was through Dell Small Business, I will let you all know what revision I get.

They should be here around Jan.6.

Im wondering if they ship from the lot for Dell Home orders and Dell Business?!? That might be something to think about....

Happy New Year!

Chris

Here's my U2311 in the dark. How does it look.
u2311-1.jpg
u2311-2.jpg

Hiya Lance, can you snap a couple pics of your monitor using an all white background too? Thanks :)

The major tinting is mostly noticeable the closer you are (less than 2 feet) and if it's tilted downward (from eye level), and only on black or white. For the most part.. it's definitely not the best quality IPS.. it's e-IPS, and it's great in-game :) I got two of them, and they are exactly the same (except the stand is slightly different it seems - unless it's connected wrong - my new one doesn't go quite as high - 3 millimeters less, has smoother height adjustment, and less gap at the connection).

Too bad it's not 16:10.. I'd kill for a 16:10 1920x1200 e-IPS.

Is there a way to make the U2311H go to standby when it is not used? Mine went to standby (orange LED) when I turned off my computer, but it does not do that anymore. I changed from Windows XP to 7 (and from an Radeon to a Geforce) and it does not go to standby anymore. Instead it shows a Message stating that there is "No DVI-D Cable" connected. Made a "Facroty reset" but it did not help.

Last edited:
Have you tried reinstalling the drivers again? I manage my monitor through the Power Options in Windows 7.:)

I will try that. It seems it isn't the monitor though.

Last edited:
Urbi, I have just bought a U2311H myself and encountered the same problem. When connected to my laptop, the screen shows the "no cable" message when not in use, but when I connect it to my friend's laptop, the screen goes into power saving mode just fine.
According to this:
http://support.dell.com/support/edocs/MONITORS/U2211H/en/ug/about.htm

If you have VESA's DPM™ compliance display card or software installed in your PC, the monitor can automatically reduce its power consumption when not in use. This is referred to as Power Save Mode*.

Which makes me think my video card doesn't support this VESA DPM thing... I have a Geforce 9600M GT and windows 7. My friends laptop works with windows xp and an integrated intel gpu.

I tried updating the video card drivers to the latest but it didn't solve the problem.
This is as far as I've got, I'm clueless as to what to do next...

So I've been debating between getting a IPS panel or a 120hz panel for awhile now.

I game a lot, but I don't have the time to be competitive much anymore, and just play for fun.

I play a wide assortment of games from Alien Swarm, L4D2, WoW, BFBC2 + Vietnmam, DA:O and a few others.

Should I just bite the bullet and get this monitor, it's pretty cheap on sale from Dell right now, and much cheaper then a 120hz panel.

I'm not overly picky on monitor quality, and I find the picture I get from my Samsung T220 pretty decent, so an IPS would be a big upgrade picture wise, since they do look a lot nicer.

I'm just wondering as far as gaming goes if this will be a downgrade from the T220, because otherwise I think I'd gain more from having a nicer screen 24/7 versus being a bit quicker while playing FPSs.

Thoughts?

To anyone running these 3x1 in Portrait, any issues with them being 16:9 and having closer bezels?

I'm just wondering as far as gaming goes if this will be a downgrade from the T220, because otherwise I think I'd gain more from having a nicer screen 24/7 versus being a bit quicker while playing FPSs.

Thoughts?

I haven't experienced an IPS monitor yet, but having a 120hz monitor I can say it is nice, but I'm not sure it's justified if you aren't going to do 3D. There is a perceivable difference when comparing 60FPS to 120FPS, but how much better it makes you is questionable.

I'm not too happy with my Acer's overall quality. I can say I'd much rather own a nicer monitor than one that isn't as nice but can do 120FPS. But I also spend most of my time surfing the web than actually playing games anymore, so my tastes are probably different.

So I've been debating between getting a IPS panel or a 120hz panel for awhile now.

I game a lot, but I don't have the time to be competitive much anymore, and just play for fun.

I play a wide assortment of games from Alien Swarm, L4D2, WoW, BFBC2 + Vietnmam, DA:O and a few others.

Should I just bite the bullet and get this monitor, it's pretty cheap on sale from Dell right now, and much cheaper then a 120hz panel.

I'm not overly picky on monitor quality, and I find the picture I get from my Samsung T220 pretty decent, so an IPS would be a big upgrade picture wise, since they do look a lot nicer.

Thoughts?

I have both types of monitors:
NEC 20wmgx (20" S-IPS @ 60Hz)
ASUS VG236H (23" TN @ 120Hz)

I've had the NEC for 5 years now and IMO it's the best non-Apple monitor I've laid eyes on. I also can't stand non-glossy screens (not a fan of the screen door effect), so for me there hasn't been any real substitute. I've also been a huge proponent of IPS over TN.

I'll just get this out of the way. The NEC picture quality is hands down better. The ASUS is the best looking TN panel I've ever used, once properly calibrated that is...The picture quality only gets to me when I'm running things side-by-side (some colors and viewing angles). I mostly just game and browse the internet, so PQ is not as important or critical, but that doesn't mean I don't want a great picture. After a while, 120Hz became too difficult to live without. Also the ASUS is the only 120Hz monitor with a glossy panel.

I had a chance to try the Asus at Frys and the difference in refresh rate is jarring. The best way I can describe it, at least for desktop use, is like playing a game at a locked 30 frames and then unlocking a solid 60 frames. For games that can run at a locked 120Hz (this would depend on your hardware), the difference isn't as huge, but it's really hard to go back to 60Hz. You don't see any ghosting or trails what so ever. If ever you had a chance to play a CRT with a 100Hz+ refresh rate you'll know what I'm talking about.

If you have a Frys near you, definitely check it out. Oh and make sure they're using a DVI-D cable not a DVI-I cable or you won't be getting 120Hz as the "I" doesn't have the bandwidth to support 1080p 120Hz. I can't tell you how many times I've seen a 120Hz monitor at a store and 90% of the time they aren't using the right cable. It literally won't run 120Hz without the DVI-D (actually it will, just looks really really screwed up).

I'll say this. If you can't tell the difference, then you're either blind or you don't have the monitor set up properly. Make sure the monitor is set to 120Hz and using a DVI-D cable.

The price of the ASUS is actually pretty reasonable with 2 models: VG236H (w/ 3D glasses) $500 and the VG236HE (without the glasses) $350. I decided to get the one with the glasses packed in since I can sell them on ebay for around $160 if I choose not to keep them.

Urbi, I have just bought a U2311H myself and encountered the same problem. When connected to my laptop, the screen shows the "no cable" message when not in use, but when I connect it to my friend's laptop, the screen goes into power saving mode just fine.
According to this:
http://support.dell.com/support/edocs/MONITORS/U2211H/en/ug/about.htm

Which makes me think my video card doesn't support this VESA DPM thing... I have a Geforce 9600M GT and windows 7. My friends laptop works with windows xp and an integrated intel gpu.

I tried updating the video card drivers to the latest but it didn't solve the problem.
This is as far as I've got, I'm clueless as to what to do next...

Maybe we should start a new thread. :D

I do not think it is the video card itself btw: My brother and I both have a nearly identical PCs (mainboard is an Asus P7P55D-E Pro OS is Win7 Professional 64Bit) and we both changed from Radeon HD to Nvidia Geforce GTX 460 and the screens turned to standby just as they should.
However, we decided to switch to new SSDs and HDDs and decided to update our Mainboard-Bios to the newest version while we were at it. Then we installed Windows 7 Pro 64 (again) and the U2311H would not turn to standby from there on.

I am very sure that I changed nothing in the Dell's OSD, as I reset it without success. I also am relatively sure that I had not changed anything else in Windows 7 or the Bios as well.

I also wonder if Windows or the driver can influence the screen's behavior at all when the PC is turned of. I do not think so. Therefor it still may be the monitor.

Last edited:
Hey, I have a 2209WA and I was recently going to be purchasing a PS3, then I read up on issues with aspect ratio stretching (honestly I can't stand that) So I'm looking for a new monitor, this one is like the exact same as mine but it's proper console/movie aspect ratio of 16:9. Should I purchase this and sell off my 2209WA?

My 2209WA has about no bleeding issues or tint that I noticed, not sure of the proper test to see but I've never noticed any and I heard this U2311H model has it really bad or really minimum depending on your luck in the mail.

I have both types of monitors:
NEC 20wmgx (20" S-IPS @ 60Hz)
ASUS VG236H (23" TN @ 120Hz)

I've had the NEC for 5 years now and IMO it's the best non-Apple monitor I've laid eyes on. I also can't stand non-glossy screens (not a fan of the screen door effect), so for me there hasn't been any real substitute. I've also been a huge proponent of IPS over TN.

I'll just get this out of the way. The NEC picture quality is hands down better. The ASUS is the best looking TN panel I've ever used, once properly calibrated that is...The picture quality only gets to me when I'm running things side-by-side (some colors and viewing angles). I mostly just game and browse the internet, so PQ is not as important or critical, but that doesn't mean I don't want a great picture. After a while, 120Hz became too difficult to live without. Also the ASUS is the only 120Hz monitor with a glossy panel.

I had a chance to try the Asus at Frys and the difference in refresh rate is jarring. The best way I can describe it, at least for desktop use, is like playing a game at a locked 30 frames and then unlocking a solid 60 frames. For games that can run at a locked 120Hz (this would depend on your hardware), the difference isn't as huge, but it's really hard to go back to 60Hz. You don't see any ghosting or trails what so ever. If ever you had a chance to play a CRT with a 100Hz+ refresh rate you'll know what I'm talking about.

If you have a Frys near you, definitely check it out. Oh and make sure they're using a DVI-D cable not a DVI-I cable or you won't be getting 120Hz as the "I" doesn't have the bandwidth to support 1080p 120Hz. I can't tell you how many times I've seen a 120Hz monitor at a store and 90% of the time they aren't using the right cable. It literally won't run 120Hz without the DVI-D (actually it will, just looks really really screwed up).

I'll say this. If you can't tell the difference, then you're either blind or you don't have the monitor set up properly. Make sure the monitor is set to 120Hz and using a DVI-D cable.

The price of the ASUS is actually pretty reasonable with 2 models: VG236H (w/ 3D glasses) $500 and the VG236HE (without the glasses) $350. I decided to get the one with the glasses packed in since I can sell them on ebay for around $160 if I choose not to keep them.

Yeah I've seen a 120hz monitor, and I don't do any video or picture editing, so I guess I'm back to leaning towards a 120hz monitor again. The VG236HE was the 120hz I was looking at as they dont sell the LG here and the BenQ isn't getting the best reviews.

I was really just torn between the pretty picture screen vs the fast screen.

Hey, I have a 2209WA and I was recently going to be purchasing a PS3, then I read up on issues with aspect ratio stretching (honestly I can't stand that) So I'm looking for a new monitor, this one is like the exact same as mine but it's proper console/movie aspect ratio of 16:9. Should I purchase this and sell off my 2209WA?

My 2209WA has about no bleeding issues or tint that I noticed, not sure of the proper test to see but I've never noticed any and I heard this U2311H model has it really bad or really minimum depending on your luck in the mail.

buy the ps3 and see how it works first, I dont think you will be dissapointed.

my xbox360 doesnt stretch.

buy the ps3 and see how it works first, I dont think you will be dissapointed.

my xbox360 doesnt stretch.

360 has support for 16:10 resolutions, I wish PS3 would add it but It stretches the images from 16:9 on all 16:10 monitors without 1:1 scaling. I just looked up on deals site and they're having a deal right now on the U2311H for 239$, today's the last day so I have to decide by the end of the day, otherwise the price jumps back up to 339$.

Has anyone received this thing without bad uniformity and tint problems? I think they just upgraded to new versions A02 or A03 so I'm hoping maybe these new ones may not be as bad as the old ones.

Geez, this yellow tinting on the left half of the screen is really freaking annoying. No matter how I adjust my RGB it will still be be visible after a while on a white background.

What can I do with this crap.....

DELL U2311H
or
DELL P2411H

ips vs tn? In most cases the ips is the better, but how bad is the quality on the u2311? is it better than the p2411?

Well I sent back one of my U2311H's as it had major tinting - pink / purple moving to green on the right.

The replacement now has tinting of green moving to pink / purple. :( It's not as bad as the first one but still annoying. Probably be pushing it for another replacement (it wasn't bought from Dell) so may just stick with this one.. It seems that getting a decent one is very very hard.

What is Dell's return policy like? I have a U2311(10 days) and want to swap it for a U2411. Is it possible. The 2411s are on sale for $449 in Dell.ca.

I just scored 2 Dell U2311H monitors on the dell ebay store for a cool $200/ea. Pretty sweet deal and better than anything I have seen on their official website.

I just jumped on this deal, as I have had my eye on this monitor for quite some time. Ya, I read this whole thread and know about the tinting issues some people have with it. I figure I'm not quite as particular as some folks are, and have never had anything better than a crappy Hanns-G 24.6 inch so I would probably be able to accept its shortcomings.
I can't believe I'm getting an IPS finally. I hope it has a happy ending.

Just grabbed a U2311H for myself. Kinda surprised by the Minnesota sales tax though. Never had that through eBay, though can't remember if Dell adds that on or not.

Nothing like viewing 13x19's in there almost full size glory!

Stupid Q. How do you run these in eyefinity (connection wise) ?

They have a displayport input.

I will be going with 2x ATI 6950's (which have 2x DVI, 1x HDMI and 1x Displayport)

Since the dell u2311h doesn't come with the DP cables, what cables do i need to purchase and how do I connect them?

As of this very minute, I see only 240 left for sale. If you want it, you better pull the trigger soon!

Got a 2311 for $150 thru craigslist while searching for a chair so I was lucky to get the 2 extra for 200/each with the ebay deal. Check it out! There's 8-10 left.

I will be using a 5830 to run these. Hopefully it blows my mind!

Edit: Anyone know if a single 5830, 8 gigs ddr3 1600, amd 955 black will do the job? Other than photoshop and Alias 2011, I play starcraft 2.

Last edited:
Someone here who has recently adquired this monitor has received a02 revision? im looking to buy this monitor and want to know if a02 revision has solved the problems this monitor panel has with tinting and bleeding.

Also bought during the Ebay deal. I already have one which my mom uses with her macbook pro. Even though I have read through this thread, I believe I would be able to deal with the tinting as long as it is not like the green tint on some panasonic plasmas.

It will be interesting to compare this one to whichever revision the other one is. Maybe I will be able to borrow it to run dual monitor.

I still need a video card to round out my system, can anyone recommend which one:

Asus 6850 Direct Cu from Amazon for $160 AR (can be overclocked to similar performance as 6870)

MSI 6950 $280 AR from Amazon (I only have an Antec New TP-550 psu and plan on overclocking my i5-2500k processor when I get it).

Someone here who has recently acquired this monitor has received a02 revision? im looking to buy this monitor and want to know if a02 revision has solved the problems this monitor panel has with tinting and bleeding.

I did. I'm happy with my unit especially considering the price (CDN $199, sale plus coupon). There are some pictures of my screen on the previous page (white and black). People have to remember its a budget panel monitor. It fulfills the purpose I purchased the monitor for namely surfing, gaming and documentation. Plus, I find it superior to the TN panels I previously owned. I only regret I did not purchase a larger screen size. However, since I'm not into web design and/or photography the cost of a 27 inch is too prohibitive.

I've no experience with IPS panels but, from what I've read, all the panels appear to differ. My advice is not to go looking for problems.

Stupid Q. How do you run these in eyefinity (connection wise) ?

They have a displayport input.

I will be going with 2x ATI 6950's (which have 2x DVI, 1x HDMI and 1x Displayport)

Since the dell u2311h doesn't come with the DP cables, what cables do i need to purchase and how do I connect them?
Only one of the three monitors needs to be connected by displayport. You can use DVI or HDMI for the other two.

Hello all, I need someone to do some measurements for me, as I looked at the U2311H spec sheet, it seems unbelievable that it is lower than my 22" Acer. I only have 15" of height clearance, and it states that the U2311H is only 14" high.

This is what I mean:
IMAG0063.jpg

If it fits, I am definitely replacing my crap TN for the IPS. Thanks!

Hello all, I need someone to do some measurements for me, as I looked at the U2311H spec sheet, it seems unbelievable that it is lower than my 22" Acer. I only have 15" of height clearance, and it states that the U2311H is only 14" high.

I measured it roughly at the lowest at under 37cm in height from bottom base of the stand to the top of the top bezel, lowered as much as possible and tilted as vertical as possible.

Back