Dell U2311H

YES I posted it on the hot deals forum. I just ordered 3 but I am still a long way from finishing up my rig but at that price Ill just hold on to them will I am ready.

When I popped in the coupon it only worked for one monitor, not three.

do all the monitors have that tinting issue or is it hit or miss?

From what I have seen, they all have a varying degree of tint. Most don't have that much of a tint that it would bother you in normal use, only if you kept trying to look for it (and trying really hard to look too). Some have extremely bad tinting, but I don't think that's as much as an issue with later models (June+, ect.) as I haven't seen anyone complain about major tint since they were first released.

do all the monitors have that tinting issue or is it hit or miss?

Yeah it's pretty hit and miss from what I've seen which is what scares me, because Dell doesn't consider a tint issue to be a big enough problem to warrant a replacement...

I just bought the Dell last night for about $255... Do you guys think the NEC is worth the extra $90? I didn't know that the Dell had a lot of QC problems.

Just ordered two of these ($508 w/tax). Had to place two separate orders because the Dell Chat rep couldn't figure out how to adjust the coupon for both... luckily, free shipping means the two orders cost exactly the same as one. Thanks for the heads up and to everyone else for their reviews and impressions... I'm looking forward to calibrating these with my i1.

I just bought the Dell last night for about $255... Do you guys think the NEC is worth the extra $90? I didn't know that the Dell had a lot of QC problems.

It's kind of a gamble. If you get one that doesn't have any tint problems then it's an amazing deal at that price. Just cross your fingers :)

I got one for $255 too, before the coupon expired. Honestly, for this price, I'll just keep sending it back til I get a good one, as long as Dell pays for shipping.

Plus the Dell is the preferred as it has a pulse overdrive thingy, which unfortunately the NEC lacks, making the Dell much better for moving images like games and movies.

I sure wish the Dell had another DVI port however.

^ how can you keep sending it back though? dont they charge a 15% restocking fee once you opened it

For a straight return as far as I know they only make you pay for return shipping.

What people are talking about is not sending it back as a return but as a RMA basically. Since the u2311hs have advanced replacement (they let you keep the monitor while the new one arrives) it really isn't a hassle other then talking them into the RMA. No cost to you other then in time spent talking with the service rep.

^ how can you keep sending it back though? dont they charge a 15% restocking fee once you opened it

There's never a restocking fee if you exchange a defective product for a new one. Restocking fees generally only apply if you return a product for your money back.

but i've read many times where people say dell will not replace the monitor because of tinting issues, it doesnt count as defective

For a straight return as far as I know they only make you pay for return shipping.

What people are talking about is not sending it back as a return but as a RMA basically. Since the u2311hs have advanced replacement (they let you keep the monitor while the new one arrives) it really isn't a hassle other then talking them into the RMA. No cost to you other then in time spent talking with the service rep.

how can you talk them into RMA'ing it if they dont cover tint issues?

are you sure a straight return is a full refund minus shipping? i'm pretty sure they charge restocking for any opened items

how can you talk them into RMA'ing it if they dont cover tint issues?

are you sure a straight return is a full refund minus shipping? i'm pretty sure they charge restocking for any opened items

My mistake on that part, though I remember when buying it at the time it seemed to indicate there was no restocking fee (like retail stores such as Best Buy) since I found it strange that the policy differed from any other type of online focused etailer (which have restocking fees).

As far the RMA, someone who did due the rma would have to fill you in on that one. My monitor had no issues, so I did not need to go through the process.

Is there any difference between using DVI input and display port input on this monitor? Is one better than the other?

im just gnna buy a 25.5" asus and call it a day

all these tinting issues are scaring the crap out of me, dont want to be stuck with a 15% restock fee

Mine came in Rev A00 I will turn them on over the weekeeend and check them out.

Here is a picture with the other parts of my future eyefinity/surround setup. Im waiting to decide to go with ATI or Nvidia, it all depends what this new 6XXX from ATi will do in October. If scaling is still bad I will go with Nvidia.

Last edited:
Just received mine today -- Rev A00, manufactured July 2010. Both monitors are free of dead pixels and have no obvious tint or backlight bleed (though I'll have to wait until the evening to verify the backlight in a dark environment). One of the LCDs is a bit brighter than the other, but once I calibrate with my i1display2, the colors and luminance should match pretty closely.

I mostly use my PC for animation and other color-critical work, so I was more concerned about panel uniformity than response times. For a quarter of the price I wasn't expecting pro-grade tech like NEC's PA241W, but I'm pleasantly surprised with the quality of this IPS display. The fact that I saved $180 during the sale is icing on the cake. That said, I sympathize with those of you experiencing tint and backlight issues; I feel extremely lucky and I hope Dell can provide some better replacements for you soon.

How are the quality of the cables that come with these monitors?? I'm not sure if I should buy some before my monitor gets here.

Included cables (power, VGA, DVI, USB) seemed fine to me. If you're going to be using DVI then I wouldn't bother with anything else as it's just a digital signal. You'll want to order a DisplayPort cable if you plan on using that to hook up your U2311H, because a DP cable doesn't ship with the monitor.

Received mine today, and not surprisingly I got a bad one. There's a red stuck pixel near the center of the screen, and some oddly dim pixels that I've never seen before. But what really bothered was the tint issue. It's not bad when looking at other colors, but when the background is white (like 90% of the websites I visit) the effect is really noticeable. It's like the left half of the screen is set to cool, and the right half is set to warm. The effect, at least for me, is really jarring. I tried to take pictures, but my old camera couldn't quite capture the effect.

I already called up Dell and should get an advanced replacement Monday or Tuesday. But since this problem seems to affect every U2311H (some more severe than others) I'll probably just end up returning this to Dell if the replacement has the same issue.

I missed out on the deal. Sucks that Dell's shipping is kinda slow. Bought my NEC from amazon with free two day shipping.

Just cracked open one of the two I U2311H I bought. First one is perfectly fine. I don't notice any tinting. There's no dead pixels. Its a lot thinner than my 2209wa and only loses about half an inch of vertical space.

Rev A00, made in July in China.

Received mine today, and not surprisingly I got a bad one. There's a red stuck pixel near the center of the screen, and some oddly dim pixels that I've never seen before. But what really bothered was the tint issue. It's not bad when looking at other colors, but when the background is white (like 90% of the websites I visit) the effect is really noticeable. It's like the left half of the screen is set to cool, and the right half is set to warm. The effect, at least for me, is really jarring. I tried to take pictures, but my old camera couldn't quite capture the effect.

I already called up Dell and should get an advanced replacement Monday or Tuesday. But since this problem seems to affect every U2311H (some more severe than others) I'll probably just end up returning this to Dell if the replacement has the same issue.

was dell cooperative in replacing the monitor because of tint issues?

Mine came in Rev A00 I will turn them on over the weekeeend and check them out.

Here is a picture with the other parts of my future eyefinity/surround setup. Im waiting to decide to go with ATI or Nvidia, it all depends what this new 6XXX from ATi will do in October. If scaling is still bad I will go with Nvidia.

i wouldnt have the patience.. just buy a 5870 right now ;)

Well my first A00 panel had three hot/dead pixels and I called for a replacement. The replacement is a July 2010 A00 panel and it has about 8 dead pixels. How many times do I have to get a replacement to get one that isn't defective?

Stupid outsourced indian tech support didn't even get my email correctly and I can't get confirmation emails on it.

Gonna love this two hour long phone call with them tomorrow. I put the replacement back in its box after testing it.

was dell cooperative in replacing the monitor because of tint issues?

Dell replaced my monitor only because of the pixel issues. They really didn't seem too concerned with the tint issues when I mentioned it to them.

And mine is also mfg. July 2010, Rev. A00 made in China.

Maybe I just don't know what a dead pixel is. On all the test screens I can't find them. But when I go to an all black image I can spot really up close three on my first A00 that are displaying white. Like on my SOYO 24" P-MVA panel there was a dead pixel and it was really easy to see on any page. But on this panel I only see it against black and it's hard to see. So are these subpixels or what?

Well guys just finish testing all 3 of mine. They are all Manufactured July 10. None have this tinting issue eveyone talks about. I must be lucky. Only problem I found and by using a LCD color changer tester was , one monitor at the bottom left hand corner almost to the edge, I have 1 dead pixel. You cant really see it colors but in white/black you can tell it's not the same. I dont think it will bother me, so basically I am a happy camper. Only 1 dead pixel from buying 3 monitors. I loaded up new egg web site and amazon to see if color affects the white and everthing looked great. Cant wait till I finish building my new computer. If by miracle I come across 2 480 for 350, Ill buy them instantly and forget the wait for the 6xxx series. If no deal like that I will wait till November. Have not bought the motherboard because if I go with the 6xxx series, I will want a 890fx board if I go with Nvidia I will be going with a X58 board. I will keep you posted.

Well guys just finish testing all 3 of mine. They are all Manufactured July 10. None have this tinting issue eveyone talks about. I must be lucky. Only problem I found and by using a LCD color changer tester was , one monitor at the bottom left hand corner almost to the edge, I have 1 dead pixel. You cant really see it colors but in white/black you can tell it's not the same. I dont think it will bother me, so basically I am a happy camper. Only 1 dead pixel from buying 3 monitors. I loaded up new egg web site and amazon to see if color affects the white and everthing looked great. Cant wait till I finish building my new computer. If by miracle I come across 2 480 for 350, Ill buy them instantly and forget the wait for the 6xxx series. If no deal like that I will wait till November. Have not bought the motherboard because if I go with the 6xxx series, I will want a 890fx board if I go with Nvidia I will be going with a X58 board. I will keep you posted.

thank god you finally posted. Was i the only one looking at martin's 3 monitor boxes and drooling? No way I could have restrained myself from opening those bad buys for a few days!

Well my first A00 panel had three hot/dead pixels and I called for a replacement. The replacement is a July 2010 A00 panel and it has about 8 dead pixels. How many times do I have to get a replacement to get one that isn't defective?.

As long as it takes for you to realize that you should get an NEC EA231WMi instead. I have two perfect units. First try.

Back