Dell U2311H

Dell small business is having a 1 day sale today. July 15. U2211H can be had $239.00. Unfortunately the U2311H price is still at 319.00 with a preliminary ship date of 7-27-10.

Anyone had any luck getting more of those 20% small business coupons? Or I suppose Bing cashback for Dell is 10% if the u2211h qualifies.

Just ordered the 2211H and got hit with an estimated delivery date of August 3rd at the very end of the process.

Kind of disappointing as this was an item without a delivery date warning like some other monitors.

My U2311h arrived today at work, so far impressed. I will take some pics when I bring it home, otherwise I won't get much work done today.

Very little backlight bleeding noticed, close to (almost as good) viewing angles as the 2209wa I have, pixels all check out, good color and brightness. The flourescents here don't allow me to get a good idea of how it will look at home, though.

As an update, I spent some time last night calibrating this monitor. The color and contrast are quite good. However, I did notice a bit of backlight bleedthrough in the lower right corner with solid blacks. It's like a backlight bleed/IPS glow (blue/purple). Not noticecable when looking at it dead on, but with a variation in angle it comes out. I watched a couple movies and played several games, did not show up at all. I notice it when viewing [H] and other sites with black backgrounds, but only if the screen is titlted, or I'm leaning to one side. My girlfriend said she could not see what I was talking about.

Overall, it's a great monitor. I may warm up the colors a little bit, as I really don't notice any bleedthrough with a slightly warmer adjustment.

I finally decided to go with the U2311H. Ordered it yesterday evening, came today.

Anyway I've had a good look at this thing and I can safely say that while a tiny amount of IPS glow exists, you have to REALLY (and I mean really) look for it, and it's invisible when looking at the monitor dead on. I could only visibly see it from a pretty extreme angle (Nobody would look at a screen in that angle for daily use). There is a slight amount of backlight bleed at the top left of the screen, but it isn't a big issue.

If it helps, my monitor was manufactured in June and is still revision A00. Maybe they've improved the QC somewhat?

I finally decided to go with the U2311H. Ordered it yesterday evening, came today.

Anyway I've had a good look at this thing and I can safely say that while a tiny amount of IPS glow exists, you have to REALLY (and I mean really) look for it, and it's invisible when looking at the monitor dead on. I could only visibly see it from a pretty extreme angle (Nobody would look at a screen in that angle for daily use). There is a slight amount of backlight bleed at the top left of the screen, but it isn't a big issue.

If it helps, my monitor was manufactured in June and is still revision A00. Maybe they've improved the QC somewhat?

Wow, that's a pretty quick turn-around. I ordered mine on Monday and I'm still waiting to see a shipping notification.

Glad that your impressions are positive - I'm definitely looking forward to getting mine.

Yeah, it took Dell five business days to actually ship my monitor, but it arrived four business days ahead of their projection. Their website told me 7/19/10 and I received it on 7/14/10.

I haven't read this entire thread, are people generally leaving dynamic contrast off? Mine is greyed out in the menu and I haven't adjusted many of the settings yet other than reducing the brightness to mid-30s and the contrast to around mid-80s.

Amazing monitor,! i madean account just to reccommend it.

You will get a slight blue tint that is barely noticeable when you view the panel from the right

Looking dead on it looks flawless.

totally black screen shows no backlight lissues, VERY minor, if you stare hard at the bottom left.

I recieved it 5 days earlier than the "estimated ship date"

VERY satisfied and reccommend if youre looking for a monitor in the 300-400 range ;)

ill update with pics later!

Idk if the flash from my crappy camera wouldve changed anything but...

DSCF3248.jpg

Last edited:
One thing I have noticed is if I'm viewing this monitor in the dark there is a bit of backlight bleed at the top left of the monitor which is pretty visible when the screen is on a dark background. (It's pretty much invisible when a light is on). Since I always have a source of light on this isn't much of an issue for me, but I'm just throwing it out there. It's not enough for me to want to replace the monitor since everything else is perfect, and if push comes to shove, I can easily take the monitor apart and just add some electrical tape to the panel where the bleed is to fix it.

I'm still in the dark about this aspect.

Is it responsive enough for FPS games? Some say it's not fast enough and others say it's fine. Take a game like TF2 for example. Can anyone confirm or deny its performance?
I mean, anyone can just look at the specs and say "8ms? That's not good enough" but I'd like to see some actual testing.

Last edited:
I'm still in the dark about this aspect.

Is it responsive enough for FPS games? Some say it's not fast enough and others say it's fine. Take a game like TF2 for example. Can anyone confirm or deny its performance?
I mean, anyone can just look at the specs and say "8ms? That's not good enough" but I'd like to see some actual testing.

have you not read ANY of the reviews?

There is near 0 input lag,

Since i got this monitor i have been doing noticeably better compared to my TV/monitor that had horrible input lag.

LET ME GOOGLE THAT FOR YOU
88_750_112.jpg

have you not read ANY of the reviews?

There is near 0 input lag,

Since i got this monitor i have been doing noticeably better compared to my TV/monitor that had horrible input lag.

LET ME GOOGLE THAT FOR YOU
88_750_112.jpg

I'm pretty sure I read almost all of them, even user reviews. I meant actual tests with games, not input lag benchmarks. And it's not like input lag is the only qualification a monitor needs to be adequate for fast paced games (even though it's probably the most important).

But thank you anyway, and you as well JohnleMVP.

Last edited:
I'm pretty sure I read almost all of them, even user reviews. I meant actual tests with games, not input lag benchmarks. And it's not like input lag is the only qualification a monitor needs to be adequate for fast paced games (even though it's probably the most important).

But thank you anyway, and you as well JohnleMVP.

I've been playing Bad Company 2 with no issues. I'm somewhat sensitive to input lag and ghosting/blur as well.

Hi all,
Been using the monitor for like 1 month now and there is just a little I can complain about. I saw few questions here asking about its performance in FPS games. As I play mostly FPS games, I can share some experience. Quake Live runs very smoothly and the monitor is definitely NOT the reason I lose games :). Call of Duty 4 is also perfect. Starcraft 2 looks great on it, but it would probably look good on any other monitor. If it was gaming what was holding you back from buying this monitor, you don't have to worry any more - go for it, it's definitely worth the money.

What I miss is a second DVI or HDMI connection (it doesn't have any). I would like to connect my settop box to be able to watch TV on it but I hate switching DVI cables every time I wish to watch TV. I have bought HDMI to DisplayPort reduction but it didn't work. Any suggestions here? I'm not that experienced in this sector :)

Thanks

Thanks for getting right down to business here bro. I'm sold. Cheers!

I have an NEC 20WMGX2. Unfortunately i'm looking for a larger display... there's the U2211H which the 22" version of this at 1920x1080. The question i have is, well, is this better than my monitor from 2006, and is it glossy (cause I loved the OptiClear glossy screen that NEC added to that display. Also, if it's not worth it, what 23-24" monitor *is* worth it?

No it is not glossy.

Is it better? Probably - it's a subjective thing and varies from sample to sample. Your 20WMGX2 had a polarizer that is no longer present, and there is a chance your current panel is slightly more uniform. Since you say you want a larger display, you should go for a U2311H. In its favor, it is larger, cheaper, higher contrast, lower lag and higher resolution than your 20WMGX2. Colors and viewing angles are mostly a wash other than more of a white glow and less of of the blacks looking purple than the 20WMGX2. Again whether that's better or not depends on your priorities.

There are some mods to remove the anti-glare coating to make it glossy, but it is rather hard-core (remove bezel, use wet towels, etc.)

Ordered July 2nd when on sale in Canada, shipped on July 12th, arrived today. REV00 made in June, panel was made in China and screen assembled in Mexico, so likely the same source as the US screens.

Just a few quick bits, will give a more detailed impression at a later time after more use -

So far no noticeable issues, no dead/stuck pixels, no real backlight bleed (although its not completely dark yet), and no color issues. Motion response is fine to me, although it is slower then a 2ms TN. Build on the physical parts of the monitor (stand, buttons, connectors etc.) have no issues either.

One of my main concerns with this screen was the Matte AG coating, since it seemed to have been mentioned a lot. Having now used it, I find the AG to be pretty typical of AG coats. Obviously there is a significant difference in comparison to a glossy screen, however I do not find the AG harsh or anything compared to other Matte screens. Since I prefer matte anyways over glossy due to the practicality and being used to them, it does not bother me at all.

just got my monitor yesterday from a German seller.

Rev. 01
1 red dead pixel
the color is Superb, black is really really dark
from July/2010

I feel 8ms is really bad for gaming.. I feel it gets blurry when I move fast
or is it just the differences you get when coming from CRT? had Sony FW900

when it comes to display, im very picky.. maybe I should get HP ZR24w instead? better for gaming?

Looks like they just increased the price of these in Europe something fierce.

just got my monitor yesterday from a German seller.

Rev. 01
1 red dead pixel
the color is Superb, black is really really dark
from July/2010

I feel 8ms is really bad for gaming.. I feel it gets blurry when I move fast
or is it just the differences you get when coming from CRT? had Sony FW900

when it comes to display, im very picky.. maybe I should get HP ZR24w instead? better for gaming?

The ZR24w doesn't seem to be any better for ghosting/blur. I think you're noticing it more having come directly from a CRT though.

No it is not glossy.

Is it better? Probably - it's a subjective thing and varies from sample to sample. Your 20WMGX2 had a polarizer that is no longer present, and there is a chance your current panel is slightly more uniform. Since you say you want a larger display, you should go for a U2311H. In its favor, it is larger, cheaper, higher contrast, lower lag and higher resolution than your 20WMGX2. Colors and viewing angles are mostly a wash other than more of a white glow and less of of the blacks looking purple than the 20WMGX2. Again whether that's better or not depends on your priorities.

There are some mods to remove the anti-glare coating to make it glossy, but it is rather hard-core (remove bezel, use wet towels, etc.)

Thanks for the detailed response. Unfortunately this monitor isn't going to work for me. Cost isn't *that* much of an issue -- within reason. Requirements: 23-24", 1080p, A-TW polarizer or w/e my 20WMGX2 had in it. lol. Glossy -- i've come to the realization that i'll never get Opticlear in a monitor again. (R.I.P.) higher contrast, lower lag, no need for a tv tuner and remote (although I'll miss the remote) and yea. S-IPS. Dunno what's the difference between e-IPS and H-IPS but yea. That's all there is to it. I've been looking at TFT Central but unfortunately I haven't seen much that does what I need it to do :(

Any suggestions?

I just ordered 2 of these to replace my U2410. First impressions are that the viewing angles on a black background are totally unacceptable and in a whole different league to the U2410 which suffered only minor IPS glow in comparison. Other than that they seem to be better for displaying text (less aggressive anti glare coating) and have a more vibrant image.

One of them has the most extreme backlight bleed i've seen and is getting replaced.

Bah, just got confirmation this morning that my delivery date got pushed back from 7/27 until 8/3 :(

Hopefully I'll at least get a panel with no issues.

Thanks for the detailed response. Unfortunately this monitor isn't going to work for me. Cost isn't *that* much of an issue -- within reason. Requirements: 23-24", 1080p, A-TW polarizer or w/e my 20WMGX2 had in it. lol. Glossy -- i've come to the realization that i'll never get Opticlear in a monitor again. (R.I.P.) higher contrast, lower lag, no need for a tv tuner and remote (although I'll miss the remote) and yea. S-IPS. Dunno what's the difference between e-IPS and H-IPS but yea. That's all there is to it. I've been looking at TFT Central but unfortunately I haven't seen much that does what I need it to do :(

Any suggestions?

Apple ACD 24" is the only Glossy IPS screen that I know of. Though you need DisplayPort to drive it and it is fairly expensive.

I have tested this monitor for a few days now

here are my thoughts from someone who just moved from CRT to TFT

the image / text quality are really crisp
color is great

for those who play FPS, dont even think about getting this monitor
its too blurry when moving fast

I compared it with the Acer GD245HF side by side
that Acer is no match to this IPS panel in terms of color and sharpness

but for gaming its a HUGE difference!

I will be sending this dell back and will be getting the HPZR24w to compare with... or even the U2410...

color is great

I will be sending this dell back and will be getting the HPZR24w to compare with... or even the U2410...

Don't think there are much people still on CRT these days. And even if there are, you can't really compare CRT to any TFT. And among TFT monitors, this one is really good for gaming, at least for games I have tested, such as CoD 4, QuakeLive and Starcraft 2.

color is great

I posted a comparison here: http://hardforum.com/showthread.php?t=1535231

Any suggestions?

The A-TW polarizer is no longer manufactured and used for any monitor, not even the $1600+ professional monitors. It had its pros and cons, and overall I think the current monitors off-angle non-colored glow actually looks better than the older A-TW polarizers purple blacks, especially off-angle.

The newer monitors mostly have the same or slightly better contrast. They don't have worse lag either.

I have seen the 2311 and 2410 at work on other people's PCs, and I think they are pretty good even compared to a 20WMGX2 unless you get one with bad uniformity. The grain is normal for an AG monitor (to me), so overall I think these monitors are not bad for the price (again, unless you get stuck with a bad one). I have used glossy monitors and as someone else here pointed out, Apple is probably the only one still making glossy IPS. Check out some of the other threads about making the 2711 glossy - if you are a fan and technically inclined that may be an option for you.

It had its pros and cons, and overall I think the current monitors off-angle non-colored glow actually looks better than the older A-TW polarizers purple blacks, especially off-angle.

I do not agree.

Some old LG IPS screens (without A-TW) displayed a fairly obvious purple glow on blacks off angle.
Newer LG IPS screens (without A-TW) show a fairly strong white glow. Much stronger than the purple glow of the old screens.
Discontinued LG IPS screesn (with A-TW) had by far the best off angle presentation showing only a hint of color under extreme circumstances.

My Glow Rating:
-------------------------------
A-TW IPS: 9.5/10
Old IPS-Color Glow: 6/10
New IPS-white glow: 3/10

There may be a slight loss of contrast for A-TW, but it is so worth it.

I remember when some Doublesight monitors where shipping with and without A-TW. Absolutely no-one wanted the one without A-TW. If you have a choice between A-TW and not, take A-TW without hesitation, but that is likely only on used monitors at this stage.

The above only applies to LG screens. NEC also built their own IPS variant (SA-SFT) that was quite glow resistant and Panasonics Alpha Pro-IPS is also quite glow resistant.

I have seen all these different types in person except the NEC SA-SFT, but I have seen video of that one.

Not sure if this will help anyone, but I found this video a little bit ago while I was looking for more info on the ghosting/blur. The colors look amazing. This panel looks really nice in my opinion, even filmed with a crappy webcam video.

Apparently I'm too retarded to figure out how to embed a youtube video so here's the direct link. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=d9LbncUi2z0

what

I play TF2 pretty regulary along with Bad Company 2 and other games and have never noticed any blurring. I would be the first one to return it for that reason because I was coming from a 2ms TN panel and there is absolutely no difference.

what

I play TF2 pretty regulary along with Bad Company 2 and other games and have never noticed any blurring. I would be the first one to return it for that reason because I was coming from a 2ms TN panel and there is absolutely no difference.

maybe your too used to TFTs.. but I came directly from Sony FW900 1920*1200@85Hz.. even the acer GD245HD 120Hz isnt that great either.. maybe im just too picky

in TF2 just go to a sign and move from right to left very fast and you will not able to read the text

I have my mouse sensitivity set to 14.5 and 1600dpi.. maybe thats too fast for TFTs

maybe your too used to TFTs.. but I came directly from Sony FW900 1920*1200@85Hz.. even the acer GD245HD 120Hz isnt that great either.. maybe im just too picky

in TF2 just go to a sign and move from right to left very fast and you will not able to read the text

I have my mouse sensitivity set to 14.5 and 1600dpi.. maybe thats too fast for TFTs

You're not going to be happy with any LCD's methinks.

mike, there is no blurring. it's all in your head man. no lcd owner sees it, you must be making stuff up. get with the times already, crt tech is sooooo outdated.

:rolleyes:

As a suggestion from someone who had to deal with the response issue before. I think you might be better off finding your minimum threshold for blurring (for me I basically said anything from a 5ms TN/8ms IPS or better was acceptable), and then choosing the best screen among those based on other characteristics. If you are looking for absolutely no blur in comparison to a CRT however you might have to wait for still far off technology like Blue Phase or OLEDs.

I picked my cutoff because to me the overall scene was still relatively sharp and enjoyable (was to blurry on a C-PVA), while going down to say 2ms did not make any real improvements in reading text while fast panning (still blurry), and looking at fine details was still blurry.

Back