Dell U2311H

Reading this thread is making me weary of ordering one at all. :(

Depends on your needs. If you need a new monitor right now and don't mind the possibility of having to change it out a time or two, jump on it. It does come with advanced exchange, so you won't have to worry about being without a screen.

If you're not in a hurry, I'd recommend waiting until the next revision is shipping pretty consistently.

Here's a crappy iPhone pic for gee wiz.

photo.JPG

Depends on your needs. If you need a new monitor right now and don't mind the possibility of having to change it out a time or two, jump on it. It does come with advanced exchange, so you won't have to worry about being without a screen.

If you're not in a hurry, I'd recommend waiting until the next revision is shipping pretty consistently.

I'll just wait for the next revision. I'm not in a big hurry.

Reading this thread is making me weary of ordering one at all. :(

To be fair, mine is immaculate. I'm not getting any tinting or really noticeable bleed. Uniformity isn't perfect, though you will only notice with a solid color screen in a dark room on the left edge. Not noticeable with movies, games or photo editing.

If you're willing to wait though, it can't hurt to buy an A01 when theyre shipping.

To be fair, mine is immaculate. I'm not getting any tinting or really noticeable bleed. Uniformity isn't perfect, though you will only notice with a solid color screen in a dark room on the left edge. Not noticeable with movies, games or photo editing.

If you're willing to wait though, it can't hurt to buy an A01 when theyre shipping.

I hate piping in too much, since (again) i have the 22", not the 23", but i am another case that got a perfect monitor. Only the most minor tinting on the right side, with no bleed. I am not sure about the 23", but the 22" are shipping A01, so i doubt the 23" is far behind; if you can wait for the next deal (Dell loves the coupons), you might want to, and be sure to get the latest monitor.

Received an NEC EA23Wmi today and it is phenomenal!

No dead or stuck pixels. No backlight bleed. Minor IPS white glow. Perflect color uniformity, even on all white. No noticeable brightnes unifortmity issues.

Also, the matte sparkle/grain is so far the LEAST obtrusive I have seen on any IPS screen that isn't the ACD. It is WAY better than my old LP2475W which I had to return due to this issue alone. (I'm coming from a glossy LCD, have pity.)

Color accuracy is amazing compared to my old glossy TN (FHD2400) which had GARISH colors, even after calibration, especially on things like the Shell, McDonald's and BP logos.

I'd love a glossy version of this sucker, but I think I can live with the matte (for once!)

Latency is excellent, one thing I'm worried about it the response time. I'm thinking of picking up a U2311h as well to see if I notice a difference in games. Going to compare it to my TN panel tonight. So nice not dealing with color shift and crushed blacks though.

Willing to answer any questions or post comparison shots.

The U2311h is back up to $320 AGAIN... what the hell is wrong with Dell?! It goes down to $290 for 2 days and then back up?!

The U2311h is back up to $320 AGAIN... what the hell is wrong with Dell?! It goes down to $290 for 2 days and then back up?!

I think this phenomenon is referred to as a Sale...

Anyways I just got my third today. Its still a A00, but doesn't seem to have any issues. If it does have a tinting issue I can't tell. So far of the 3 I have only 1 has a tinting issue that I have noticed. Great value considering I got them for $240 each after a coupon or BCB. Now I need to build a new PC for Eyefinity.

Latency is excellent, one thing I'm worried about it the response time. I'm thinking of picking up a U2311h as well to see if I notice a difference in games. Going to compare it to my TN panel tonight. So nice not dealing with color shift and crushed blacks though.

Willing to answer any questions or post comparison shots.

I don't think you will notice much a difference. They use the same panel, but Dell decided to implement RTC to improve response time a few ms at the cost of increasing input lag a few ms. So its sort of a wash.

I ended up buying the U2311h as well new from eBay for a $75 savings. I will try to post comparisons. I already know I'm keeping the EA231WMi as my wife loves it. We both had the same TN monitor before. Only question now is, does one of us get the Dell and the other the NEC, or we both end up with an NEC.

I would have ordered from Dell, but if they charged me a 15% restocking fee, AND return shipping, I figured I'd end up ahead by just reselling on eBay for less than I paid.

I just sold some stuff on ebay. Man they have a 9% final price fee these days + paypal fees. Dell usually doesn't charge a restocking fee on there own products.

I hate piping in too much, since (again) i have the 22", not the 23", but i am another case that got a perfect monitor. Only the most minor tinting on the right side, with no bleed. I am not sure about the 23", but the 22" are shipping A01, so i doubt the 23" is far behind; if you can wait for the next deal (Dell loves the coupons), you might want to, and be sure to get the latest monitor.

I was really thinking about the 22" too. I might order that one tomorrow or Monday. Wanna make the change back to a normal sized monitor, gonna buy a new desk soon too so :D

1920x1080@75Hz is possible over DVI (Displayport also, haven't tried VGA).

I uploaded the .inf here: http://data.fuskbugg.se/skalman01/u2311h.inf

Credit goes to ToastyX for providing the timing information. I tried to get 83Hz working over Displayport, didn't work though.

Has anyone else managed to get this working? I installed the above .inf using device manager -> monitors -> update driver software -> browse my computer... -> let me pick...

Seemed to install the inf OK as it now lists in device manager as DELL U2311H (EDID Overide) and 75 Hz is now a selectable option at 1080p. However the monitor just tells me that this timing is not supported? I'm using: ATI 5850 with DisplayPort cable & Windows 7 64bit

I picked one of these up too. Back light bleed sucks (4 corners), but I don't really notice it when looking at content on the monitor. In other words, when I select the wrong input and the screen goes blank, but the back light stays on, I can see the uniformity issue. Since I don't seem to have much of a color shift across the monitor and there are no dead pixels, I will more than likely keep it. The antiglare coating is better than other monitors I have used (for instance, the NEC LCD2490WUXi), but still noticeable. Blacks are really deep and look very good. I must say that I am still a fan of the ACD 24" panel. I would probably get fired from work if I admit this to my colleagues, but for general surfing and stuff, I really like it (I don't have a lot of glare issues). Regardless, I am done with apple and this monitor is priced right and very respectable.

Has anyone else managed to get this working? I installed the above .inf using device manager -> monitors -> update driver software -> browse my computer... -> let me pick...

Seemed to install the inf OK as it now lists in device manager as DELL U2311H (EDID Overide) and 75 Hz is now a selectable option at 1080p. However the monitor just tells me that this timing is not supported? I'm using: ATI 5850 with DisplayPort cable & Windows 7 64bit

I couldn't get it to work either. Got the same error you did.

I picked one of these up too. Back light bleed sucks (4 corners), but I don't really notice it when looking at content on the monitor.

Every screen with CCFL have back light bleed. If you want screen without it, then buy LED screen.

I couldn't get it to work either. Got the same error you did.
Interesting, I downloaded RefreshLock 2.21 and tried again. Also I selected the input option on the monitor as DisplayPort (rather than Auto) It's very erratic - it frequently displays the unsupported timing message, however sometimes it will display the picture properly as in HMB's photo that I quoted above! Curiously turning the monitor off then on again will sometimes toggle the image to the timing error message, or the restore a picture from the error.

I'm left wondering if an incorrect signal timing mode is being used? maybe a different adjustment would work reliably? I've no idea how to adjust it with ATI drivers

Last edited:
Every screen with CCFL have back light bleed. If you want screen without it, then buy LED screen.

Not true. I have used numerous LCDs (NEC, etc.) with CCFL back lights that were very uniform. Also, I have used numerous LCDs (Samsung, Dell, etc.) with LED back lights that were not uniform.

How is this monitor for FPS gaming?

I play a lot of MW2 and BC2 and really want to avoid any noticeable ghosting, which I'm fairly sensitive to. I play right now on a HF229H @ 5ms G2G and still notice some very slight ghosting. Right now I'm debating between the U2311H and PX2370. Also perhaps considered a U2410. A 120HZ monitor is probably out of the question.

It will likely be somewhere between the PX2370 and your current one (haven't used your current monitor, so wouldn't know for sure). I tested the u2311h against the PX2370 however, and the PX2370 is faster, however I didn't feel it was faster enough to warrant any real advantage. They both have noticeable ghosting if you look for it in fine details on screen (such as moving text), with the PX2370 slightly less blurry. In terms of regular play, they were both fine.

Not even sure how this makes sense.

After having read tons of reviews I recently purchased the Samsung PX2370. I'm sending it back though on account of the quite restrictive viewing angles. Even when I move my head just a few centimeters up or down the display darkens noticeably. Which is way more then I expected from an expensive screen such as this. Even though it has a TN panel.

I'm rather interested in the Dell U2311H but I've read in two different reviews that its weakpoint is its narrow viewing angle. I recall reading somewhere that it's even worse than on TN panels.

To anyone already owning the U2311H, how does this monitor fare in this regard according to you? Is there any noticeable shift in darkness when just moving your head a few centimeters up or down?

Last edited:
Have been using a 2209WA for about a year but am now looking for something new. Would the U2311H be a good set-up (being used on a gaming rig)?

After having read tons of reviews I recently purchased the Samsung PX2370. I'm sending it back though on account of the quite restrictive viewing angles. Even when I move my head just a few centimeters up or down the display darkens noticeably. Which is way more then I expected from an expensive screen such as this. Even though it has a TN panel.

I'm rather interested in the Dell U2311H but I've read in two different reviews that it's weakpoint is it's narrow viewing angle. I recall reading somewhere that it's even worse than on TN panels.

To anyone already owning the U2311H, how does this monitor fare in this regard according to you? Is there any noticeable shift in darkness when just moving your head a few centimeters up or down?

It is worse then higher end ips monitors. It is arguably worse then TNs if you are in the dark viewing very dark scenes if you find the off angle glow in the corners more distracting then the color shift for TNs (TNs will glow to, but the color shift is more noticeable).

I mean the easiest test is with viewing a solid color head on. Every TN will be completely different from the top and bottom, but the u2311h doesn't have this problem on the lagom test images for viewing angles for instance.

I tried to take some photos this weekend to show the back light bleed and tinting issues, but my little point and shoot camera just isn't cutting it.

After adjusting the displays I've gotten the back light bleed less notable, but 2 of the 3 are still just horrible and really all 3 have problems. They all have a section about 2 inches wide in the upper left where the back light is bleeding out excessively, with two of those having excessive bleed neat the top center and top right, one of which has an insane amount of bleed in the top right.

That being said, the bleed is not visible without performing a test or when the screens go blank, such as in a loading screen. While the screens are in use, they don't cause uniformity issues and look great. Really enjoying the NV Surround.

They all have some tinting issues in the bottom corners as others have mentioned, but is only noticeable during load screens or very dark colors. During the back light bleed test you can see this very clearly and it adjusts on the side monitors as I move my head slighty. During normal game play it isn't noticeable.

I haven't found the back light bleed or tinting to cause distractions or problem while photo editing.

I am sure I got spoiled with my 2407WFP, which was really well built and didn't suffer from excessive back light bleed or tinting. I do miss 16:10 though, but not sure I miss enough to pay $800-$900 more for 3 U2410s.

Hopefully the 3 replacements I'm getting next week will be better quality, and between the 6 of them I can work out 3 which are acceptable. Otherwise I'll continue to get replacements, even if I have to wait until the next revision.

Overall, good monitor, especially for the price, performs well, but just has some manufacturing issues to be resolved.

Is this monitor any good? Is it guaranteed you will get a IPS Panel ? The other monitor I am looking into is the NEC MultiSync EA231WMI-BK - 23 which I believe is also a IPS panel like the Dell 23'

Last edited:
@ Limitedaccess

... I tested the u2311h against the PX2370 however, and the PX2370 is faster, however I didn't feel it was faster enough to warrant any real advantage. They both have noticeable ghosting if you look for it in fine details on screen (such as moving text), with the PX2370 slightly less blurry. In terms of regular play, they were both fine.

Having had a chance to examine both monitors how does the U2311H's vertical viewing angle compare to that of the PX2370 in your opinion?

I just received one of these on Saturday. I was happy with my old TN Samsung but plan to do portrait Eyefinity eventually.

Overall I like the monitor. Coming from a 22" 1680x1050 I don't really feel like I lost any screen real estate but the thing does feel crazy wide, if that makes sense.

I tried viewing some dark screens and didn't notice any excessive light bleed, I do see the off angle glow a little but it doesn't bother me. Basically I'm not super picky and it works fine for my needs. Black colors do appear darker than my previous monitor. I have a Pioneer Kuro TV so I do appreciate a good display.

I followed some suggested settings from other posters and lowered the brightness a bit. I need to properly calibrate the display - what does everyone use for calibration?

@ Limitedaccess

Having had a chance to examine both monitors how does the U2311H's vertical viewing angle compare to that of the PX2370 in your opinion?

Well like I said it isn't even comparable. The easiest comparison was simply the the lagom tests http://www.lagom.nl/lcd-test/viewing_angle.php#angle_blue

The PX (like all TNs) the top and bottom were clearly different colors when viewed head on, while the u2311h didn't have that issue. It's basically like the following digitalversus comparisons show -

http://www.digitalversus.com/duels.php?ty=6&ma1=88&mo1=752&p1=8953&ma2=36&mo2=721&p2=8191&ph=1
http://www.digitalversus.com/duels.php?ty=6&ma1=88&mo1=752&p1=8953&ma2=36&mo2=721&p2=8191&ph=1

But the biggest issue in real use, I found that, in the corners especially, details would start to get washed out with the slightest head movement or even just looking at the corners. Though this was most notable visible in general use (web use, image viewing, etc.). I sit about 35-40 inches from the screen however, so my angle changes may or may not be higher then yours.

Keep in mind the u2311h isn't better then the PX2370 across the board. I felt their were many advantages in the PX2370, but overall I felt the advantages in the u2311h out weighed the PX2370s. Do I wish some things carried over? I'd have paid slightly extra for a hdmi input, and LED back lighting (not for image quality purposes) if a u2311h model had them for instance.

Last edited:
Well like I said it isn't even comparable ...

I do apologize, for some reason I missed your first response :eek:. Thanks for taking the time to elaborate even further on your initial answer.

But the biggest issue in real use, I found that, in the corners especially, details would start to get washed out with the slightest head movement or even just looking at the corners. Though this was most notable visible in general use (web use, image viewing, etc.). I sit about 35-40 inches from the screen however, so my angle changes may or may not be higher then yours.

Given the otherwise great performance it's a real shame that the U2370H exhibits this problematic behavior.

Judging by your answer and the monitor reviews I've read so far, there's simply no straightforward answer as to what is the best (mid range) monitor around. Unfortunately there's always a trade-off when going for a certain model. The fact that none of the computer shops in my hometown has even a single IPS monitor on show doesn't make it any easier to make the right choice.

Oh well, can't have your cake and eat it too (as all Portal fans should know by now) ;)

Last edited:
Given the otherwise great performance it's a real shame that the U2370H exhibits this problematic behavior.

Judging by your answer and the monitor reviews I've read so far, there's simply no straightforward answer as to what is the best (mid range) monitor around. Unfortunately there's always a trade-off when going for a certain model. The fact that none of the computer shops in my hometown has even a single IPS monitor on show doesn't make it any easier to make the right choice.

Oh well, can't have your cake and eat it too (as all Portal fans should know by now) ;)

Sorry I might have not expressed myself clearly on this part. I mean the PX2370 had the issues with washed out corners. The u2311h from a viewing angle perspective was fine from a normal use stand point to me (although if you do crazy angle tests, it is shown to perform worse then higher end ips screens), the main issue would the noticeable glow with dark scenes in a dark room in the very corners. Whether or not that issue stands out more to you then TN viewing angle issues would be up to the user. But the screen does not change colors or wash out with head movement.

I feel (since I had recently been monitor hunting in this price range), the u2311h would be the best all around screen (well which is why I bought it), if you get a good screen, as some people seem to run into quality issues.

I mean its response is fast enough for gaming (unlike the C-PVA i tried). Its contrast is comparable to good TNs (although behind the C-PVA) for watching movies. Its viewing angle and colors are great for productivity/web/images. It has a great stand and menu system, a native dp port (although no hdmi in, but its cheaper to properly convert hdmi/dvi then dp/dvi).

Do I wish it had some other features? Yes, but even looking at much more expensive monitors I can still find drawbacks, so at this price point its good enough. Can I think of a better monitor? Maybe the Samsung F2380MX (or some PVA with similar performance) that didn't have the response time issue.

Hello all.
I'd like to say thank you to everyone for they're input in this thread, it has been most helpful. I took a bite.

I ordered the U2311H on Aug 6 and the delivery date so far says Aug 16.

The details of my order (Dell.ca) has nothing relating to the Rev.#, all I have is: Manufacturer Part# N0WV7 and Dell Part# 320-9270.
Does this shed any light as to what revision is associated with those specific part#'s? :confused: It would be nice to know in advance what Rev. it is before I get it.

This is my first time purchasing anything from Dell, so fingers crossed.

Its also the first LCD monitor for me. I've always had CRT's. I'm using a Samsung 1100DF currently and before that I had a TTX 1996i. So it will be quite a different picture for me when it finally arrives. I'm pretty stoked about the purchase, it was listed as $339 CDN and had a $90 instant discount to bring it down to $249 CDN. I opted for the free ground shipping so the total with taxes came to $281.06. Under $300 is pretty darn good price for what hopes to be a fine LCD panel. When they work.

I think it will be OK for gaming, it appears the Overdrive works so that's great. I don't edit photos, I just take them and then look at them. If I wanted to do so it seems the U2311H is up for the task. Provided its working. Performance of the panel for movies has been getting a good word too.
So I feel pretty good about the whole thing. Its killing me not knowing if I'm getting a lemon or not, but its great to see so much information here. It really helps to prepare for the worst, or expect the worst I should say, that way when it does fail at least you knew it was - sorta gonna happen.

I will report back with any and all information as it arrives.

Peace.

Just to clear up to the revision issue. I merely was asking out of interest since someone mentioned earlier they received a rev01 panel. I have a June rev00 panel, and it doesn't have backlight bleed along the edges. Nor is there any real tinting (i color checked photos in photoshop to make sure). The only issue is that uniformity isn't perfect, as the right side is slightly brighter (conforming to every online review), but uniformity as far as I know is not going to be perfect regardless of the monitor.

So whether Rev01 is better or not, who knows.

Is this monitor any good? Is it guaranteed you will get a IPS Panel ? The other monitor I am looking into is the NEC MultiSync EA231WMI-BK - 23 which I believe is also a IPS panel like the Dell 23'

Yes, it is guaranteed you get IPS. I have the EA231WMi right now, just got it a few days ago. It is absolutely perfect aside from the slight white glow common to all IPS displays. I ALSO ordered a U2311h which just shipped today. If you can wait a few days, I will post my comparison shots and opinion on which is better. I might even do an HD video comparison if I have the time. I know exactly what to look for because I'm picky as hell and have all the display tests.

If you can wait a few days, I will post my comparison shots and opinion on which is better. I might even do an HD video comparison if I have the time. I know exactly what to look for because I'm picky as hell and have all the display tests.

Oh man, if you could do this I would be eternally grateful. It would be EXTREMELY appreciated.

Yes, it is guaranteed you get IPS. I have the EA231WMi right now, just got it a few days ago. It is absolutely perfect aside from the slight white glow common to all IPS displays. I ALSO ordered a U2311h which just shipped today. If you can wait a few days, I will post my comparison shots and opinion on which is better. I might even do an HD video comparison if I have the time. I know exactly what to look for because I'm picky as hell and have all the display tests.

Dude I will love you forever if you do a good comparison. I'm leaning toward the NEC at the moment just because I've heard of so many QC issues with the Dell but if they've been improved I might go with them because they're so much cheaper.

Hello all.
I'd like to say thank you to everyone for they're input in this thread, it has been most helpful. I took a bite.

I ordered the U2311H on Aug 6 and the delivery date so far says Aug 16.

The details of my order (Dell.ca) has nothing relating to the Rev.#, all I have is: Manufacturer Part# N0WV7 and Dell Part# 320-9270.
Does this shed any light as to what revision is associated with those specific part#'s? :confused: It would be nice to know in advance what Rev. it is before I get it.

This is my first time purchasing anything from Dell, so fingers crossed.

Its also the first LCD monitor for me. I've always had CRT's. I'm using a Samsung 1100DF currently and before that I had a TTX 1996i. So it will be quite a different picture for me when it finally arrives. I'm pretty stoked about the purchase, it was listed as $339 CDN and had a $90 instant discount to bring it down to $249 CDN. I opted for the free ground shipping so the total with taxes came to $281.06. Under $300 is pretty darn good price for what hopes to be a fine LCD panel. When they work.

I think it will be OK for gaming, it appears the Overdrive works so that's great. I don't edit photos, I just take them and then look at them. If I wanted to do so it seems the U2311H is up for the task. Provided its working. Performance of the panel for movies has been getting a good word too.
So I feel pretty good about the whole thing. Its killing me not knowing if I'm getting a lemon or not, but its great to see so much information here. It really helps to prepare for the worst, or expect the worst I should say, that way when it does fail at least you knew it was - sorta gonna happen.

I will report back with any and all information as it arrives.

Peace.

Well my order shipped yesterday Aug 09. Got the email last night (9:30), I went to bed early so I didn't know I got the shipping email. Should have it tomorrow. Sweet.
I guess the amount of stock is not a problem anymore.
I'll let y'all know when its here.

Back