Dell U2311H

maybe your too used to TFTs.. but I came directly from Sony FW900 1920*1200@85Hz.. even the acer GD245HD 120Hz isnt that great either.. maybe im just too picky

in TF2 just go to a sign and move from right to left very fast and you will not able to read the text

I have my mouse sensitivity set to 14.5 and 1600dpi.. maybe thats too fast for TFTs

How long have you been using it? Give it some more use and you'll eventually adjust. I came from a Trinitron @ 100hz and when I first got this 22" LCD 4 years ago I absolutely hated it. After a couple weeks of useage my eye's adjusted and it wasn't nearly as bad. Monitors today are much better than what I have now. Give it some time and eventually you'll appreciate the sharpness, color and space saving that LCD's offer you.

Your sensitivity has nothing to do with it. :D

Finally got mine in today. So far I'm quite impressed with the colors - I'm seeing shades and gradients that I'd never seen before.

The only concern I have is the slight stuttering I'm getting in TF2. Ghosting is fine, but I'm getting a drop in fps. At first I thought it might just be the higher resolution, but my 4850 should be able to handle Source @ 1920x1080 with AA with no problems. Still have some investigating to do.

Last edited:
I received my U2311H last 30 July.
Date of Mfg: July 2010, Made in Czech Republic, REV A01, price 350 euros.

This is my first LCD monitor. I had (and still have) CRTs 4:3. I agree when you say that when changing from CRT to LCD we notice every detail and become sort of picky, but I think U2311H performs really good compared with my previous experiences with LCD monitors. I have a LCD TN at work that came with a Compaq desktop pc early this year and when I needed to do some webdesign/flash I had to do it at home because the lcd sucks in color accuracy, ghosting, trailing, etc. If it were mine I would throw it in the garbage.

The reason for buying a LCD was the extra desktop space because I do alot of programming and CAD. At first I was going to buy the HP ZR24w beacause of the 1920x1200 native resolution but after reading reviews I decided to buy the Dell. The U2311 has good black levels and color accuracy. When playing DoD I noticed stuttering but is it my graphis card (8600GT) that can't handle 1920x1080. When my friend returns my gaming wheel I will try rFactor and Dirt2. My opinion is, still, that for harcore gaming a good CRT is the best.

So far I'm satisfied with my purchase but next time if there is a 1920x1200 monitor with the same price/quality relation I will buy it.

[H] foruns are very helpfull. ;)
I recomend the following threads:
Thoughts on HP ZR24W and Dell U2311H
Which monitor to Buy? Advice needed

I agonized over the U2311h and the EA231wmi. I know the NEC is less responsive, but I ended up going with it anyway after reading the negative experiences on the Dell. Also came out a few bucks cheaper due to tax, and I trust Buy.com more than Dell.com when it comes to return hassle. I can't believe some of you guys only paid $200 or $250 for the Dell a few weeks ago! Those deals are long gone.

I'm coming from a 24" GLOSSY TN, so I may be back to cry about matte sparkle effects, ghosting, and IPS white glow. I say this because I tried an HP L2475 a few months ago that I absolutely HATED despite getting rid of the horrible TN color shift. We'll see.

If this experience sucks as bad as my HP one, I don't see any alternative other than saving up for an Apple 24" LED glossy IPS display, which will require a new video card with DisplayPort as well. :(

When will we see a glossy e-IPS? :mad:

Well, a driver update/install got rid of whatever weird FPS issues I was having, so now I'm totally pleased, especially with the colors - they're just so much better than any previous monitor I've used.

Absolutely no concerns with input lag/ghosting in TF2 for me, and the panel uniformity appears pretty good. Also, I haven't noticed any dead/stuck pixels, so I'm tentatively calling this one a win.

I knew this would go back on sale shortly after I ordered :( Oh well, at least I have it and am very pleased.

I wonder if Dell would give me the discount since I'm technically within my 21 day return period...

Contact support, can't hurt to try.

Out interest, since someone mentioned it earlier, are those of you who are getting them now receiving Rev01 panels?

This thing just went on sale for $289.00 w/free S&H.

http://accessories.us.dell.com/sna/...etail.aspx?c=us&l=en&s=dhs&cs=19&sku=320-9270

In for 3...NV Surround here I come! :D

It went on sale the day after I decided to get the NEC for $339. I would have to pay $350 for the Dell after tax. Damn it!

I wish I could know which of the two (U2311h or EA231WMi) has the less aggressive AR coating.... I can't STAND that grainy sparkly look. Why matte laptop screens don't have this problem is beyond me.

It went on sale the day after I decided to get the NEC for $339. I would have to pay $350 for the Dell after tax. Damn it!

I wish I could know which of the two (U2311h or EA231WMi) has the less aggressive AR coating.... I can't STAND that grainy sparkly look. Why matte laptop screens don't have this problem is beyond me.

The Dell definitely has its usual AG coating, can't tell you on the NEC.

I'll have the NEC tomorrow, coming directly from a CRT. Got the NEC for about $480 while I could have gotten this Dell for ~$420, oh well. This stuff is a lot more expensive for us europeans.

I might just try to remove the AG film on the NEC if it annoys me. People have done this with other Dell units before. Risky as hell, but it can work. I have to decide if it is worth creating a $339 paper weight.

anyone thinking there will be a better deal once labor day approaches or should i pull the trigger on this now?

anyone thinking there will be a better deal once labor day approaches or should i pull the trigger on this now?

It's always hard to tell with Dell. I became interested in this monitor shortly after the previous sale in late May and was kicking myself. Being that I wanted 3 of them for NVsurround, I decided I wasn't going to pull the trigger until they went on sale again.

In my experience with Dell, you can count on a better deal coming along at some point, but trying to project a specific time and bank on when that better deal will happen almost never works.

Got the NEC. Coming straight from a Viewsonic G90f CRT, have to say I'm impressed. Bright backgrounds seem slightly dirty, but only slightly. Doesn't bother me, it's a lot better than suffering from the glare, since I sit in a well luminated room.

The build quality is awesome. The monitor is very sturdy and has a high-quality feel to it. I'm no professional but to me the colors look correct and vivid and black looks black. I had to give it a quick try of Quake 3: CPMA (Quake1-like modification for Quake 3, extremely fast paced) and while I could feel the frame rate wasn't high enough, I was still positively surprised by the responsiveness. Couldn't catch any blurring or anything else in that matter. Only thing lacking is 120Hz from making it a gaming-grade monitor.

Now I need to find the instructions on how to get over 60Hz at the native resolution.

How the hell is it possible that so many people on this forum still say things like "coming from CRT"?! Is everyone on this forum broke? Do you still use floppy disks too? :eek:

Guys I was trying to get a better deal for the U23 under the business account and they could not even order them for me. My dell rep said it was a discontinued product and they where just getting rid of the remaining inventory. I wonder how true that is. Ne1 else heard anything? This is the best deal I have seen for IPS monitors for surround/eyefinity without breaking the bank.

Last edited:
I talked to one of the Dell SB reps a few weeks ago and he told me that they are working on getting these back on the site. I've been checking every day but still nothing! I'm starting to think I should just go for the NEC...

Well if anyone in Canada is looking for one of these, on sale at the moment off dell.ca for $250.

Guys I was trying to get a better deal for the U23 under the business account and they could not even order them for me. My dell rep said it was a discontinued product and they where just getting rid of the remaining inventory. I wonder how true that is. Ne1 else heard anything? This is the best deal I have seen for IPS monitors for surround/eyefinity without breaking the bank.

Total BS this monitor has only be for sale for like 2 months. I just ordered a 3rd one last thursday. You can order one off the web site right now.

http://accessories.us.dell.com/sna/products/Displays/productdetail.aspx?c=us&l=en&cs=19&sku=320-9270

I bought both the NEC and the Dell 2311. The Dell has a better AG coating, more even backlight and faster response times (less ghosting) for gamers. I definitely prefer the Dell.

How the hell is it possible that so many people on this forum still say things like "coming from CRT"?! Is everyone on this forum broke? Do you still use floppy disks too? :eek:

I've tried several times to replace my CRTs with LCDs but so far it's not gone well. I was able to replace one with a 24" Apple panel which I love. But my 22" NEC CRT is hanging in there. I'm auditioning an Alienware 23" 120Hz now but I don't think it's going to work out.

Maybe I'll give this Dell a shot.

My office is a cave so I prefer a glossy finish. I'd pounce all over an equivalent to the 24" ACD but with better connectivity.

I was fiddling around with the refresh rates and noticed 640x480 would work up to 80Hz.. after a while I noticed the picture was a bit misplaced and switched back to 75Hz which is supported on that resolution by default. Now I noticed that the native resolution sometimes reports 59.9Hz (which I can't certainly say happened initially also) and that 75Hz sometimes reports as 74.9Hz. I know it doesn't sound like anything to worry about but is there a chance I damaged the monitor by using 80Hz with the timings of 75Hz, or is the slight jitter more likely caused by the GPU or drivers?

God, sometimes I wish I didn't have to fiddle around with things so much, my NEC seems to be a very good unit overall

Just check the sticker on the back of the panel - it should say where it was made, and what revision (among lots of other regulatory info)..

Thinking about ordering one of these this weekend so I have a normal sized monitor instead of my huge TV. It is worth ordering for gaming even with the all the quality control issues? Any current deals on these things?

Got my three setup this evening. Back light bleed is HORRIBLE on all 3. I'm really disappointed, I figured I might have an issue with 1 or maybe 2 of them...but all 3 have to go back. :(

Got my three setup this evening. Back light bleed is HORRIBLE on all 3. I'm really disappointed, I figured I might have an issue with 1 or maybe 2 of them...but all 3 have to go back. :(

I sincerely hope that mine is either a RevA01 and/or doesn't have the same problem. :/

Ugh, sorry to hear that man. This is a big concern for me when I finally decide to order one also.

I ordered two, one had a stuck pixel that Icouldn't get rid of and another had this extremely bright backlight bleed in the top left. I sent them back and the two that I got from the exchange were both Rev A00 from June (Same as the two I got first) and both are as perfect as you'll get out of this monitor now. No bleed at all.

I ordered two, one had a stuck pixel that Icouldn't get rid of and another had this extremely bright backlight bleed in the top left. I sent them back and the two that I got from the exchange were both Rev A00 from June (Same as the two I got first) and both are as perfect as you'll get out of this monitor now. No bleed at all.

Glad to hear you were able to get a couple without bleed. I'm really happy with the colors during game play and general use, but the bleeding is just unacceptable. The worst being in the upper left as well.

I'm going to call today and have 3 replacements sent. Fingers crossed that at least one of the replacements is good.

Back