Dell U2311H

The 2410 a bigger version of the same monitor, why be upset? Larger physical display size and larger resolution as well.

The 2410 a bigger version of the same monitor, why be upset? Larger physical display size and larger resolution as well.

Wide gamut though, this is SRGB.

The U2410 is a lot better than this monitor.

Define better? A professional review has yet to be published on this monitor yet, so how can you really make that claim, especially when you consider all of the issues that the U2410 is known for?

The U2410 has more connections

U2410
CONNECTIVITY
Video Graphics Array (VGA)
Digital Visual Interface - Digital (DVI-D) with HDCP
DisplayPort(DP)
Component
Composite
High Definition Multimedia Interface (HDMI)
Built-in Devices
Media Card Reader and USB 2.0 Hi-Speed Hub (with 1 USB upstream port and 4 USB downstream ports

U2311H
Connectivity
1 Digital Visual Interface connectors (DVI-D) with HDCP
DisplayPort (DP)
Video Graphics Array (VGA)
1 USB 2.0 upstream port
4 USB 2.0 downstream ports
DC power connector for Dell Soundbar

Its the same monitor, 1 inch smaller. Thats why.

IT is not the same monitor. The panel is different. The u2410 has a wide gamut backlight and supports a 10-bit (8-bit + A-FRC) which means it supports 1.07 billion colors.

Its the same monitor, 1 inch smaller. Thats why.
The U2311H is not the same monitor as the U2410, not the panel nor electronics.

False statements like these are going to confuse people for years to come when they google this monitor model and come to this page :rolleyes:

Last edited:
I just ordered one for my new MacBook Pro that I'll be getting soon. It may not be as good as the U2410 but it's sure a heck of a lot cheaper.

I was about to order a 2410, glad I saw this. The 2410 i a better monitor on paper it seems, but this seems like the better deal to me. Unlike most people, I don't care about the 16:9, in fact, I kinda prefer it, I do a lot of watching of Blu-rays etc.

I was about to order a 2410, glad I saw this. The 2410 i a better monitor on paper it seems, but this seems like the better deal to me. Unlike most people, I don't care about the 16:9, in fact, I kinda prefer it, I do a lot of watching of Blu-rays etc.

I kind of like the 16:9 myself. THe u2410 is a little to big for me. A had an nec ea231wmi briefly and it was the perfect size. I can't wait for mine to get here.

The deal still seems to work, I was able to signup, get the coupon, and place an order for the U2311H today (Sunday). Email shows to be delivered no later than 5/24, so I may get it this week. No tracking info yet.

I will be replacing a 4 year old 19" Ultrasharp 1907FP with all the same features (USB ports, fully adjustable stand) and the new 23" costs less than the 19" did! $258.93 vs $267.59

I'm really looking forward to having all the extra desktop space!

Yeah, the coupon deal still works. I've got three coupons in my email inbox waiting to be used. Seems to be that a single coupon will work for more than one monitor...:D

It looks like I'm going to be ditching my DP->DVI adapter since it isn't too stable, and probably going with three of the U2311H or U2211H monitors. Problem is that I can't decide which to get :p.

I am really, really interested in hearing what peoples thoughts are on these.

~$750 for three 1920x1080 eIPS monitors with DisplayPort is about the best price out there, it even begins the rival the cost of TN panels with DisplayPort.

I've been fighting the urge to Eyefinity but if these are decent, it will be very tempting!

Having the option of buying two of these, with a newer (potentially better) screen and a full warranty or buying a second used 2405FPW, which would would choose?

I'd be willing to "downgrade" to dual 16:9 but only if the e-IPS screen is noticeably better than the 5 year-old PVA.

Having the option of buying two of these, with a newer (potentially better) screen and a full warranty or buying a second used 2405FPW, which would would choose?

I'd be willing to "downgrade" to dual 16:9 but only if the e-IPS screen is noticeably better than the 5 year-old PVA.
What will you be using them for? Do you feel limited by a screen space of 1920x1200?

What will you be using them for? Do you feel limited by a screen space of 1920x1200?
I definitely feel limited by a single 1920x1200. I mostly do film production work (editing, better screen is a plus), some gaming, but I have a 4870 so nothing super high-end. I also play 4 tables of online poker and would like the option of having internet browsers, tracking software, Hulu/Netflix, etc... open and visible while I'm doing so. Being forced to minimize windows due to lack of real estate annoys me greatly.

Ideally I'd get two U2410s but even if I sold the 2405FPW, I'm still looking at $750ish out of pocket, which I really don't want to spend, so I'm looking at alternatives that increase my real estate and could upgrade my screens at the same time.

I definitely feel limited by a single 1920x1200. I mostly do film production work (editing, better screen is a plus), some gaming, but I have a 4870 so nothing super high-end. I also play 4 tables of online poker and would like the option of having internet browsers, tracking software, Hulu/Netflix, etc... open and visible while I'm doing so. Being forced to minimize windows due to lack of real estate annoys me greatly.

Ideally I'd get two U2410s but even if I sold the 2405FPW, I'm still looking at $750ish out of pocket, which I really don't want to spend, so I'm looking at alternatives that increase my real estate and could upgrade my screens at the same time.

Well if you want more screen real estate, why not get 3 monitors and hook them up to an Eyefinity capable video card? ^_^ You might need a bigger desk, but that would surely give you the screen real estate that you covet.

Well, then it seems pretty clear that you'd benefit from having 2 screens. Since you do film production, you would indeed be better of with a pair of good wide-gamut displays, but if your budget isn't big enough, you have some choices to make.

If you do film production professionally, I'd say bite the bullet and go with the wide gamut screen. If, however, it is a hobby and you also do lots of web browsing (and like proper colours when doing it), by all means, go with a dual-monitor setup. I don't expect these to be worse than the 2005WFP, too, if that helps. I'd expect them to be similar to the NEC EA231WMi. Hopefully, too, it will have minimal tinting issues, unlike the U2410.

Last edited:
No this will not work. This is for a video card displayport output that can carry an HDMI signal. The monitor will not accept an HDMI signal in on the displayport.
You would have to get an active adapter that will do this.

Exactly, it's the same situation with the Apple cinema display that only has displayport and requires an expensive adapter(converter) to take dvi/hdmi input.

You see, displayport is a later standard and has the pins required to export an HDMI/dvi signal, so a displayport OUT , CAN output dvi/hdmi without conversions. But a displayport IN , can't accept hdmi/dvi because hdmi/dvi connectors are not designed with compatibility to displayport pin-wise.

This is the only problem of this monitor for me, it only has 1 hdmi/dvi input, so I can't hook up both my PC and console simultaneously and switch from the monitor buttons. Unless I invest in a displayport cable for my PC (since the latest ATI cards all got displayport out and my 5770 does too...)

Exactly, it's the same situation with the Apple cinema display that only has displayport and requires an expensive adapter(converter) to take dvi/hdmi input.

You see, displayport is a later standard and has the pins required to export an HDMI/dvi signal, so a displayport OUT , CAN output dvi/hdmi without conversions. But a displayport IN , can't accept hdmi/dvi because hdmi/dvi connectors are not designed with compatibility to displayport pin-wise.

This is the only problem of this monitor for me, it only has 1 hdmi/dvi input, so I can't hook up both my PC and console simultaneously and switch from the monitor buttons. Unless I invest in a displayport cable for my PC (since the latest ATI cards all got displayport out and my 5770 does too...)

You could get an external hdmi switch.

http://www.monoprice.com/products/p...=10110&cs_id=1011001&p_id=2786&seq=1&format=2

I already got a 4x2 switcher/splitter, but I'd like the PC dvi cable to remain always connected to the display (even though when I play in console I would have it switched to anbother input) because otherwise it might screw the gpu configuration (thinking I unplugged the display), and it's very tricky because I have a home cinema and I send a signal from the GPU to both the monitor and a receiver and the way I have it now it works perfectly, when with other configurations it sees limitations on the sound it can send to the receiver etc, I don't wanna mess with it...something that workes in theory I've come to find it can easily create problems in practice with all the bugs in ATI drivers and the receiver peculiarities...

I hope changing from DVI to displayport will not create any problems...

The 2405FPW is the first and worst LCD I've had. I don't think I could stand it for video use, due to the crushed blacks and colored ghosting. I'd personally rather have a TN. I've used several Dell and other brand IPS monitors, and I'd recommend any of them over the 2405FPW.

Glad I came across this thread, because this monitor looks to be just right for me. I've tried narrowing my choices down (21-24", IPS panel, under $400) and ended up with the U2311h, the HP ZR22W, or the NEC 23" ips (the Viewsonic is apparently very dim).

I want (nay, need!) a monitor to connect to my laptop because at home, the laptop's 1366x768 is driving me crazy. I need more vertical real estate!

I'll also be doing some gaming, so the sooner you guys post your impressions, the better. I was this close to finalizing my order, but backed out. I hope this monitor has a better response time than the NEC, because that is what is keeping me from ordering it. If it doesn't, it's back to square one :-(

I wouldn't expect much difference in the response time aspect. Technology has it's boundaries despite what manufacturers state. Trust your brain and not their claims. Moreover their claims are incomparable as the Dell states G2G and hte NEC B2W response times.

The logic says that this is an IPS panel and it will have average response time, good enough for all but the most hardcore gamers. Other than that, the only room for improvement over the NEC (since they also use the exact same panel, not only same technology panel) is if it uses some kind of overdrive that the NEC lacks, but this is not without its disadvantages too (increased input lag etc) and don't expect any miracles from it...

The 2405FPW is the first and worst LCD I've had. I don't think I could stand it for video use, due to the crushed blacks and colored ghosting. I'd personally rather have a TN. I've used several Dell and other brand IPS monitors, and I'd recommend any of them over the 2405FPW.
Maybe my standards are lower than yours but my existing 2405FPW has been great for over 4 years now. There's absolutely zero chance I'd use a TN over it.

My decision is still ongoing though. I'm so used to 1920x1200 that I think the U2410 is the best bet. If I like it enough, I'll use it in addition to the 2405 for a few more months until I budget for a 2nd.

Maybe my standards are lower than yours but my existing 2405FPW has been great for over 4 years now. There's absolutely zero chance I'd use a TN over it.

My decision is still ongoing though. I'm so used to 1920x1200 that I think the U2410 is the best bet. If I like it enough, I'll use it in addition to the 2405 for a few more months until I budget for a 2nd.
That might be the best option.

I just received mine. I also got a Spyder3 Pro to calibrate it. Hopefully it is as good as the NEC EA23wmi

Also it comes with a DVI cable. I did a chat with Dell the other day and they said it didnt.

It doesn't come with a displayport cable though I don't think. Good thing I have one. Hope mine gets delivered to the office before I leave for lunch. I would love to be able to hook it up over lunch hour.

It doesn't come with a displayport cable though I don't think. Good thing I have one. Hope mine gets delivered to the office before I leave for lunch. I would love to be able to hook it up over lunch hour.

No it doesnt. I ordered on from monoprice but it still has not arrived. I am using VGA right now because all i have is a minidisplay port to vga adapter

I have followed HardForum for a long time and found the info and opinions to be very helpful. I am now a member and have the following question. I currently have older Dell 1907 19" LCD monitor. I am considering very strongly the new Dell U2311H. My question is this, on my current monitor I seem to have an effect some refer to as "looking through a screen door". I assume this is due to the antireflective coating. If this is true, I would love to hear from anyone who gets this monitor and would give me their opinion on how prevelent this effect is on the U2311H. Thanks to all and glad to be a member of HardForum.

I have followed HardForum for a long time and found the info and opinions to be very helpful. I am now a member and have the following question. I currently have older Dell 1907 19" LCD monitor. I am considering very strongly the new Dell U2311H. My question is this, on my current monitor I seem to have an effect some refer to as "looking through a screen door". I assume this is due to the antireflective coating. If this is true, I would love to hear from anyone who gets this monitor and would give me their opinion on how prevelent this effect is on the U2311H. Thanks to all and glad to be a member of HardForum.

I am not sure what you are talking about but it looks to me that the anti-reflective coating looks good and does not degrade the picture quality.

I think the screen door effect has more to do with the dot pitch and pixel density than the anti-reflective coating.

Please correct me if I'm wrong though.

Thank you for correcting me. I would still be very interested in hearing from anyone who has this monitor and getting their impressions. I would like to pick it up while the 20% coupon is still valid. How does it compare with the NEC EA231WMI?

I just hooked mine up, over analog unfortunately though, as my mini-DP to DP cable isn't coming until tomorrow. There appears to be a reddish hue on the right side of the monitor, something that no doubt indicates a poor default calibration. Can someone who has calibrated his/her own U2311H post the settings that he/she is using (brightness, contrast, etc.), along with any necessary files? I'm aure it will be better than default.

Back