Dell U2311H

Just my experience with VGA connections at higher resolutions. Then again I have seen VGA connected LCDs where I could not tell a difference.

Sorry, I didnt want to come off so strongly. I just think one of the inherent problems with VGA connections are tinting issues and the appearance back lighting unevenness. even if there might be none when using a digital connection. Just trying to eliminate all potential sources of those issues other than the panel itself.

No you didn't VGA could be the problem of the tinting issues and I am hoping it is. I will take new pictures with displayport tonight when I get home from the library (if the cable came in the mail)

It's powered by kittens and fairy dust? It's probably just a bit of marketing nous i.e. redefining 'typical use' as something different than the definition they used for the older 2209WA (55W) There probably are some efficiency gains in the electronics and bulbs used as well, but honestly I wouldn't view this as being LED equivalent efficiency if that's what you are hoping for.

I just measured mine with a Kill-A-Watt - 28 watts! GREAT!

My personal view is that tinting is caused by uneven backlight and not the type of connector used.

On a side not Dell just called and said my u2311H is postponed until the 27th. I'm tempted to cancel after seeing some peoples issues. It doesn't make any sense to buy an IPS panel for color accuracy purposes if they all have tinting issues. Plus knowing Dell they will just wait until they get some returns and then send me one out of those.

My personal view is that tinting is caused by uneven backlight and not the type of connector used.
I think it's determined by the manufacture tolerance of how the LCD crystals are formed and aligned - LED edge lighting and LED grid lighting do nothing to improve matters. ColorComp correction and cherry picking panels is the only way to ensure improved (but still imperfect) uniformity

I just measured mine with a Kill-A-Watt - 28 watts! GREAT!
That's pretty nice :) has anyone checked the 2209WA with the power meter for comparsion? I suspect it's not much worse than the new displays but any improvement is good.

When going through the menu's on the screen there is a gamma setting for mac or pc. I am using a mac but what is the difference. By default it is set on pc.

When going through the menu's on the screen there is a gamma setting for mac or pc. I am using a mac but what is the difference. By default it is set on pc.
Old macs have gamma set at 1.8, lighter than the 2.2 value of newer macs and PCs. I suppose that's the difference.

I'm not sure what just happened but I connected the display via displayport and everything worked fine. But when I went into Sypder3 Pro to calibrate it an error came up then quit. But all of the dialog boxes were blacked out but when I scrolled over them the text came up. I restarted my computer and now the computer recognizes the display but the display doesnt show anything. I connected it via VGA from mini displayport from my mac and it works fine. Is it a crappy cable or is something wrong with the display?

How is the response time on the u2311h compared to the dell 2209wa ips? I'm concerned primarily with gaming. Is the 2209wa faster response than the u2311h?

I'm not sure what just happened but I connected the display via displayport and everything worked fine. But when I went into Sypder3 Pro to calibrate it an error came up then quit. But all of the dialog boxes were blacked out but when I scrolled over them the text came up. I restarted my computer and now the computer recognizes the display but the display doesnt show anything. I connected it via VGA from mini displayport from my mac and it works fine. Is it a crappy cable or is something wrong with the display?

Update: Ok I don't know what happened but it works now fine. But I am having troubles with Sypder3 Pro to calibrate it. I first calibrated it under VGA and allowed me to adjust brightness and RGB along with the USB calibrator. But now when I try it wont give me that option....does anyone know how to get it back?

How is the response time on the u2311h compared to the dell 2209wa ips? I'm concerned primarily with gaming. Is the 2209wa faster response than the u2311h?

2209wa is great. I went with it over the u2311h and no regrets. Love it. I game quite a bit

Anyone know why 2209wa is priced higher than 2311h? $309 vs $299 on the Dell website. Shouldn't the newer, larger screen be more expensive, or is 2209wa a better quality panel?

I think it's determined by the manufacture tolerance of how the LCD crystals are formed and aligned - LED edge lighting and LED grid lighting do nothing to improve matters. ColorComp correction and cherry picking panels is the only way to ensure improved (but still imperfect) uniformity

That's pretty nice :) has anyone checked the 2209WA with the power meter for comparsion? I suspect it's not much worse than the new displays but any improvement is good.

I believe flatpanels.dk / flatpanelshd.com have energy consumption measurements in their tests

The panel in this Dell is most likely the same as in the NEC EA231 so yes, the 2209WA is faster. There is plenty of info on how to get 75Hz on 2209WA as well so if you play a lot of shooters and you might wanna go with the proven 2209WA.

I just received one of these today. I'm a n00b when it comes to those things. Is there anything in particular that i should look for? I've already checked for dead pixels, is there anything else i should be weary of that isn't easily detected at first glance?

I just received one of these today. I'm a n00b when it comes to those things. Is there anything in particular that i should look for? I've already checked for dead pixels, is there anything else i should be weary of that isn't easily detected at first glance?

If you read through the thread, you'll find that there is a percentage of units with tinting issues.

I'm worried about this. Anyone knows if the smaller U2211H has the same tinting problem?

The NEC 231wmi is 75hz, and these monitors uses the same panel? Why is not the u2311 75hz??

The NEC 231wmi is 75hz, and these monitors uses the same panel? Why is not the u2311 75hz??

People are assuming it's the same without actually knowing. It definitely has some similar specs but it's not a proven fact or anything.

Interesting, was checking out this monitor @ Dell.ca and stumbled across this one.

Dell E2310H. Look very similar. TN instead of IPS, no display port. But one heck of a price.

I've been eyeing an eyefinity setup lately, and I'm considering either 1 of the U2311H with 2 of the E2310H. Or maybe I should just go with 3 of the E2310H and a good active/ powered DP converter?

On the topic of Eyefinity, quick question.

With 3, 1920x1080 monitors and a 5870 card will my cpu/board/ram end up being a bottleneck? Or will I definately have to upgrade that as well?

E6600 @ 3.0GHZ
EVGA 680i
4G - DDR2 1066

Mainly concerned about the processor, I was hoping to get another 6m to a year out of it.

Great, i just received mine, and half the side on the right of the screen is covered with bars and lines. I tried resetting the monitor to default settings, which was a challenge since i can only see half of the menu, but nothing changed. Did i just receive a damaged monitor or is there something i can do, some setting perhaps?

Last edited:
People are assuming it's the same without actually knowing. It definitely has some similar specs but it's not a proven fact or anything.
According to TFTCentral it is the same LM230WF2 panel (except for the "SLA1" part in the model name, whatever that means).

I'd suggest trying a different cable. Which input are you using now?

I used both the DVI and the VGA cable that came with the monitor, but no change.

UPDATE: I just unplugged the cable from the monitor and i still see the lines (this time its a bunch of colored vertical lines, but the area affected its the same), which means its neither the cable nor my machine. I'm assuming i just got a defective unit. Great.

Last edited:

Using displayport I can only get 60 Hz. 75 shows up but is grayed out and cannot selected it on my macbook pro.

I used both the DVI and the VGA cable that came with the monitor, but no change.

UPDATE: I just unplugged the cable from the monitor and i still see the lines (this time its a bunch of colored vertical lines, but the area affected its the same), which means its neither the cable nor my machine. I'm assuming i just got a defective unit. Great.

Yea most likely. RMA it

So... is this monitor a better choice than 2209wa if you don't care too much about being 1" bigger?

If I don't care they are basically the same quality? What about the color accuracy, black depth, and anti-glare coating? Are they about the same?

My unscientific view is that U2311H looks a lot better. The coating is more intrusive than 2209WA but not nearly as bad as U2711. Others have already covered the color and contrast issues.

U2211H is 22" and is currently ~$30 cheaper than the old 2209WA. I'd consider that. It also does full 1080.

My unscientific view is that U2311H looks a lot better. The coating is more intrusive than 2209WA but not nearly as bad as U2711. Others have already covered the color and contrast issues.

U2211H is 22" and is currently ~$30 cheaper than the old 2209WA. I'd consider that. It also does full 1080.

I see... well, in our country even U2211H is more expensive, and I don't know if it is a better choice or not, there isn't even a topic for that monitor, and no reviews either, so, I don't know if it is worth it over 2209wa or not...
What do you mean by more intrusive coating? There's bright sunshine in my room sometimes, and it can be disturbing, so for me it would be the best, if the screen reflections/quality degradements are minimal (maybe harder coating is better?)

Back