Dell U2311H

Thank you for correcting me. I would still be very interested in hearing from anyone who has this monitor and getting their impressions. I would like to pick it up while the 20% coupon is still valid. How does it compare with the NEC EA231WMI?

I owned the NEC for about a month so after I get off work and get it hooked up I will let you know.

Just snagged 3 to test from work, wondering if this in eyefinity is better then one Dell 3008wfp??

I just hooked mine up, over analog unfortunately though, as my mini-DP to DP cable isn't coming until tomorrow. There appears to be a reddish hue on the right side of the monitor, something that no doubt indicates a poor default calibration.

I hope Dell learned their lessons about red tint from the U2410 issues.

I ordered two of these on Tuesday, and they shipped out today. Should have them by mid next week since I am in Canada.

Can anyone else comment on any tint on their screens?

I hope Dell learned their lessons about red tint from the U2410 issues.

I ordered two of these on Tuesday, and they shipped out today. Should have them by mid next week since I am in Canada.

Can anyone else comment on any tint on their screens?

The tinitng issue is not entirely Dells fault. It is the LG's problem. They are the ones who make the panel. Dell just puts up with LG's poor quality control. LG is the one who really needs to fix the problem.

Did anyone upgrade from a 2005FPW? If so how do you like it?

I have an old 2005fpw that I took to use at the office several months back. It is much better than the crappy tn monitors that we have there. The u2311h doesn't seem as sharp but that is most likely from the larger pixels. I just hooked it up and so far it looks great. It looks as good as the 2209wa that I currently have. Initially there doesn't seem to be any tint issues with my sample. Colors look good (same as the 2209wa). Very pleased so far. As I do some more testing I will keep you updated.

Thank you very much. I'll try your profile tomorrow when I have a proper cable. Are you using the "normal" preset? Contrast at default?

I used VGA, with standard preset, brightness 40 and contrast 75. I am going to redo it under Custom and Displayport when i get my cable. I will post the new one ASAP.

I take back my comment on tinting. After doing a little checking there is some tinting on my monitor. The left side has a blue tint and the right side is more yellow. HTe pic is over exagerated but it is clearly visible on a white or gray background otherwise I don't see it. Now I need to decide if I want to try and exchange it.
dsc00311g.jpg

Here is another pic with all background lights turned off.
dsc00320n.jpg

I have noticed another problem. When I had it hooked up to displayport from my sapphire 5770 I was getting some flickering and occasionally the screen would go black for a couple seconds. Seems fine on DVI. Has anyone heard of or experienced this problem using displayport? This is the first time I have used the displayport so I have no other monitor to test it with.

Why is dell calling this an ultrasharp monitor? It doesn't have the silver trim around the edge or the pull out tray behind the usb for the serial number. Also doesn't come with a displayport cable. It is also considerably thinner than my 3309wa. It looks just like the professional series p2310h with the better panel.

I think I will call dell tomorrow and try for an exchange, although I doubt a replacement would be much better.

Last edited:
That looks very much like the tinting on my NEC EA231WMi. Yours also has the same faint horizontal line in the middle. Yours also has what looks like faint dark spots on the left side, which mine doesn't have.

Why can't LG get a handle on these problems? :mad:

Makes me almost want to just return it and stick with my 2209wa that has no noticeable tint issues, at least to me.

oh man just setup 3 of them, one word ..... Beautiful!!!

Do you have any tinting issues. Other than the tint, which is only visible on white or light gray background, I am happy with this monitor. I just want to get one with less tint.

At the lagom.nl lcd test site I can see all but 1 on the black test and all but the highest white on the white test. I set sharpness to 40. I like the smoother fonts. Brightness is at 50 and contract is at 75. I am using the standard color profile and it looks very good to me. I have no calibration hardware to do a proper calibration.

I took them out of the box and they appear just fine for me, just trying to see how they work

Four people have received their monitors here and two have confirmed tinting issues.

That's really encouraging. :-|

I have an old 2005fpw that I took to use at the office several months back. It is much better than the crappy tn monitors that we have there. The u2311h doesn't seem as sharp but that is most likely from the larger pixels. I just hooked it up and so far it looks great. It looks as good as the 2209wa that I currently have. Initially there doesn't seem to be any tint issues with my sample. Colors look good (same as the 2209wa). Very pleased so far. As I do some more testing I will keep you updated.

I'm actually (thinking) about upgrading from a 2005fpw as well.

The pixels are that much larger? I was thinking it would be more clear, due to the 1920 resolution. But I guess 3 more inches of screen really offsets that?

I took them out of the box and they appear just fine for me, just trying to see how they work

Do they have any tinting issues? How is the uniformity of the screens? When you put a solid dark gray background on them does the brightness distribution look uniform across the screens? Can you post a few pictures of the displays with solid gray background on them, I suspect that the gray will look like in the pictures, which wagsrules posted just few posts above - darker/colder on the left side and brighter/hotter on the right side.

Uniformity is just fine and I do not see any tinting issues at all, we purchased 10 at my job and so far all looked fantastic.

Is this monitor better for basic pc use/watching movies/gaming(not hardcore fps) than a Samsung XL2370?
I don't like the overall image quality, and colors of the XL2370, but I don't know if it would be worth to replace it...

Uniformity is just fine and I do not see any tinting issues at all, we purchased 10 at my job and so far all looked fantastic.

But you still can post a few pictures of some of them with dark gray backgrounds (like wagsrules already did) so we can decide about the uniformity ourselves.

Last edited:
I ordered two of these that should arrive tomorrow.

This is for a brand new system build (haven't built a computer since 2003). That being said, I am trying to become an enthusiast this time around since I am no longer a kid and have money to spend :)

I would like to offer review/feedback for the monitors, but need to know what to look for and what you guys would like to see. Keep in mind that I am completely new to all this.

Can someone recommend me how to go about calibrating this (don't have any equipment, but please recommend anything especially if I can use it to calibrate a Sharp Aquos LC-46D85UN LCD TV that I just purchased).

From there, after I receive the monitors (and perhaps calibrate them), I will run whatever tests or take whatever pictures you guys would like me to answer so I can 1) inform myself, 2) inform you about these particular monitors

Here are some more pictures. There is for sure some tinting issues. As previously stated the left has a blue tint to it and the right yellow.

screentest4.jpg

screentest3.jpg

screentest2.jpg

screentest1.jpg

Should I RMA it and try for another one?

Just ordered three for my Eyefinity Setup.

Thanks to those posted pics/reviews. The tinting issue I don't think is going bother me that much. I didn't want to have to buy three TN panels, so at this price I can deal with the response time and tinting issues. Can't wait to get them in.

Just ordered three for my Eyefinity Setup.

Thanks to those posted pics/reviews. The tinting issue I don't think is going bother me that much. I didn't want to have to buy three TN panels, so at this price I can deal with the response time and tinting issues. Can't wait to get them in.

True..for this price it wont be perfect.

So far is the tint only visible with gray/white backgrounds? Wouldn't even displaying Google's webpage full screen show the tint then, or when working on an office document?

That tint looks just annoying enough that I'm starting to learn towards three P2210's or P2310H's.

wagrules pictures show pretty good monitors, but Makaveli's monitors look unacceptable to me.

Here is a picture of my monitor. Uncalibrated, normal mode, no external lighting, no flash, just natural light from a small window at the other end of the room. It's connected through the DisplayPort which improved the picture drastically. I no longer see a reddish tint. The uniformity is acceptable to me.

Here is a picture of my monitor. Uncalibrated, normal mode, no external lighting, no flash, just natural light from a small window at the other end of the room. It's connected through the DisplayPort which improved the picture drastically. I no longer see a reddish tint. The uniformity is acceptable to me.

I tried hooking my monitor up to displayport but it randomly flickers and occasionally goes black for a couple seconds. I have a sapphire 5770. Sapphire doesn't have a bios update on their site for my videocard. Do you have this problem?

I tried hooking my monitor up to displayport but it randomly flickers and occasionally goes black for a couple seconds. I have a sapphire 5770. Sapphire doesn't have a bios update on their site for my videocard. Do you have this problem?
I'm currently using a 24" iMac (2.93GHz C2D, ATI Radeon 4850 HD) and have no problems whatsoever.

Edit: See if this thread is at all relevant to you: http://hardforum.com/showthread.php?p=1035385893

Last edited:
Found a couple of UK prices:

22" U2211H is looking very overpriced compared with the HP ZR22W. U2211H is approx. £255 inc. VAT and delivery, whereas the ZR22W is only £234, maybe even less direct from HP if you order by telephone? I doubt there is any difference in performance so I think it would be simple to choose HP out of these two 22".

23" U2311H is £273 inc. VAT & delivery, only just under cutting the NEC EA231WMi (£280.) Very disappointing and I would hope this just a retailer hoping to cash in on early adopters. Maybe when they appear on Dell's own UK website they will come up with a better offer, or the street price adjusts itself when availability is fully established.

Found a couple of UK prices:

22" U2211H is looking very overpriced compared with the HP ZR22W. U2211H is approx. £255 inc. VAT and delivery, whereas the ZR22W is only £234, maybe even less direct from HP if you order by telephone? I doubt there is any difference in performance so I think it would be simple to choose HP out of these two 22".

23" U2311H is £273 inc. VAT & delivery, only just under cutting the NEC EA231WMi (£280.) Very disappointing and I would hope this just a retailer hoping to cash in on early adopters. Maybe when they appear on Dell's own UK website they will come up with a better offer, or the street price adjusts itself when availability is fully established.
Damn. That is even worse than I was expecting, and you already though I was being too flexible.

I am pretty surprised to be honest, I thought they would be extremely competitive with HP, that 22" model looks damn near identical! I didn't name the shop in case they are just trying to screw early adopters.

So wait and see, but delivery won't be until at least early June. I was told Dell UK's launch for these would be today - maybe their website will be updated very soon?

Who cares about VGA results? Its a connection unbefitting of a higher end monitor like this. video cards with DVI are $25.

So far:

VGA - tinting issues, light bleed issues?
Display port - no issues?
DVI - tinting issues?

Who cares about VGA results? Its a connection unbefitting of a higher end monitor like this. video cards with DVI are $25.

So far:

VGA - tinting issues, light bleed issues?
Display port - no issues?
DVI - tinting issues?

Yea my results are from a VGA cable. I get my displayport cable today hopefully and will post if there is any change.

Sorry, I didnt want to come off so strongly. I just think one of the inherent problems with VGA connections are tinting issues and the appearance back lighting unevenness. even if there might be none when using a digital connection. Just trying to eliminate all potential sources of those issues other than the panel itself.

Sorry, I didnt want to come off so strongly. I just think one of the inherent problems with VGA connections are tinting issues and the appearance back lighting unevenness. even if there might be none when using a digital connection. Just trying to eliminate all potential sources of those issues other than the panel itself.
Really? Do you have any hard data to support that view or is that just your experience?

Either way, it is a bit disappointing for me, since I was thinking about connecting two of these monitors to my laptop and it only has 1x digital and 1x analog.

Back