Dell U2311H

UK buyers - I've been hassling retailers and it looks like deliveries to end users may be possible around the end of this month / early June :) Not too bad at all, half expected we'd have to wait a couple of months!

UK price isn't confirmed yet.

The Dell website quotes a remarkably low 33W typical for the power consumption, which is near what some LED backlit displays get. Anyone know why it's so low?
It's powered by kittens and fairy dust? It's probably just a bit of marketing nous i.e. redefining 'typical use' as something different than the definition they used for the older 2209WA (55W) There probably are some efficiency gains in the electronics and bulbs used as well, but honestly I wouldn't view this as being LED equivalent efficiency if that's what you are hoping for.

It's probably got an ECO mode which turns all the settings way down and makes the picture look like shit but save energy.

so not fair you US fookers get those coupons etc, we in EU get shit & nothing!!!!!!

Not to mention we pay 20-50% more for same shit :)))))

UK buyers - I've been hassling retailers and it looks like deliveries to end users may be possible around the end of this month / early June :) Not too bad at all, half expected we'd have to wait a couple of months!

UK price isn't confirmed yet.

It's powered by kittens and fairy dust? It's probably just a bit of marketing nous i.e. redefining 'typical use' as something different than the definition they used for the older 2209WA (55W) There probably are some efficiency gains in the electronics and bulbs used as well, but honestly I wouldn't view this as being LED equivalent efficiency if that's what you are hoping for.
If the price structure stays similar to the US, I would expect it to cost about £250-£280. At £500, I would buy a couple of those.

I think that would put it too high, the EA231WMi is only £280. US customers are paying approx. $250 for the U2311H. Exchange rate + tax would put that around £195, I'm willing to allow 5-10% for higher cost of business in UK/EU, so I say £220 inc. delivery is the maximum acceptable UK price. Any more than that I conclude there is rip off price gouge occurring, if that happens there is no way I will buy.

For a time the 2209WA was priced sensibly over here, think I paid £170ish for my parents one (if I'd known they would jack the price up to £250 I would've got a couple for myself at the time) Silver bezel 2209WA are back down to £200, which is just about reasonable given the exchange rate is much worse than at the original launch.

I think that would put it too high, the EA231WMi is only £280. US customers are paying approx. $250 for the U2311H.

The price is $299.00 in the US. Dell is giving a 20% off coupon to sign up for the small business email mailing list. That is how we are getting it for $250. Not sure how long they will be giving the 20% coupon.

I know about the coupon, but this is normal for Dell isn't it - they have an MSRP on their own website, yet 95% of the time it's possible to get everything cheaper by using a code or phoning one of the sales reps directly? or by buying from an alternative retailer

Of course Dell finally brings out a new monitor that I want the week after I buy a new car... >_<

Anyone know how long these coupon deals usually last?

EDIT: also, is the coupon good for two monitors if I buy a pair, or just one?

Last edited:
Of course Dell finally brings out a new monitor that I want the week after I buy a new car... >_<

Anyone know how long these coupon deals usually last?

EDIT: also, is the coupon good for two monitors if I buy a pair, or just one?

It will work for 2 monitors.

I just snagged a U2311 for $255 ($239 + $16 tax) with the coupon. It will be perfect as a secondary monitor/HDTV. :)

I'm really curious WHERE it states these displays are CCFL backlit? The power consumption numbers strike me as LED backlit.

No, it can't be this because the U2711 quotes a typical power consumption of 113W, and is recent release.

According to Dell's specs, one could run three U2311Hs and still consume less power than a U2711, while having 68.75% more pixels.

The 21" model quotes a 22W typical power consumption, so one could do nearly five of those while having 281% the pixels of a U2711 and still consume less power.
Heck, six 21" inchers will use less power than most 30" monitors out there -- they're so perfect for 6-panel eyefinity setup.

These monitors are really looking to be the best IPS monitors in greenness for 2010, nevermind value. I'm eagerly waiting for reviews for some real power consumption numbers.

Last edited:
I'm going to stick with the Dell 2209wa, since I've already ordered it.... and got it for cheaper than this in CDN $$ on sale.

extra inch would be alright, and so would the 16:9 since i'm using a ps3 with this... but it won't be too far until I get a nice HDTV for PS3... so then its just for comp games and 16:10 is definitely better imo.

Also, the tinting issues worry me as well. Looks like I'll be keeping the 2209wa!

Just bought one for $254.15 total plus I went thru bing and might get another 5% back from them.

I think that would put it too high, the EA231WMi is only £280. US customers are paying approx. $250 for the U2311H. Exchange rate + tax would put that around £195, I'm willing to allow 5-10% for higher cost of business in UK/EU, so I say £220 inc. delivery is the maximum acceptable UK price. Any more than that I conclude there is rip off price gouge occurring, if that happens there is no way I will buy.

For a time the 2209WA was priced sensibly over here, think I paid £170ish for my parents one (if I'd known they would jack the price up to £250 I would've got a couple for myself at the time) Silver bezel 2209WA are back down to £200, which is just about reasonable given the exchange rate is much worse than at the original launch.
I see $250 with rebates. You can't factor in rebates when converting prices to our side of the pond. Unfortunately, it doesn't really work that way. If it did, we would get the NEC much cheaper, too.

I wouldn't expect price to be as low as £220. In fact, I can hardly foresee it will be under £250, but I sure wouldn't mind being proven wrong :).

You can't factor in rebates when converting prices to our side of the pond.
I feel I've dragged this thread off topic, so this will be my last comment on this:

• you can, and should factor in the real "street price" as the factory price is fixed - I will reassess my opinion of the U2211H/U2311H price once it is widely available and the street price is fully established
  • you need to be aware of currency fluctuations, and the consider prices may be based on exchange rates from months earlier (so sometimes it takes a bit of extra research to decide if the price is good)
  • NEC is actually a great example, this is a brand where some of their monitors do have close to price parity a lot of the time!
  • close to, or actual price parity is achievable for some brands so the rest should catch up or go out of business. Free market doing what it does best (except it's not really free so real change takes longer)
  • I wouldn't expect price parity from USA made products and I'm willing to make more allowances for small businesses and low volume products
Unfortunately, it doesn't really work that way
as a consumer the only real weapon of protest you have is to choose not to buy. Lazily accepting the situation and rationalising it as something that "has always been this way" is an attitude I find somewhat objectionable - of course there are exceptions, where there may be little or no choice on some essential item or unique products. However as consumers we should avoid the "rip off Britain" (& Europe) as much as possible.

If this Dell ends up with a big extra premium in the EU then so be it, I'll look elsewhere. There are a lot of brands to choose from.

Last edited:
I know about the coupon, but this is normal for Dell isn't it - they have an MSRP on their own website, yet 95% of the time it's possible to get everything cheaper by using a code or phoning one of the sales reps directly? or by buying from an alternative retailer

Heh, yeah that always seems the case. Always hunt around for a coupon before placing an order!

I'm really curious WHERE it states these displays are CCFL backlit? The power consumption numbers strike me as LED backlit.

It isn't. I've seen these in the flesh a few weeks ago. I find the colours of LED displays too flat - I'm still waiting for RGB LED displays to take off.

I feel I've dragged this thread off topic, so this will be my last comment on this:

• you can, and should factor in the real "street price" as the factory price is fixed - I will reassess my opinion of the U2211H/U2311H price once it is widely available and the street price is fully established
  • you need to be aware of currency fluctuations, and the consider prices may be based on exchange rates from months earlier (so sometimes it takes a bit of extra research to decide if the price is good)
  • NEC is actually a great example, this is a brand where some of their monitors do have close to price parity a lot of the time!
  • close to, or actual price parity is achievable for some brands so the rest should catch up or go out of business. Free market doing what it does best (except it's not really free so real change takes longer)
  • I wouldn't expect price parity from USA made products and I'm willing to make more allowances for small businesses and low volume products
as a consumer the only real weapon of protest you have is to choose not to buy. Lazily accepting the situation and rationalising it as something that "has always been this way" is an attitude I find somewhat objectionable - of course there are exceptions, where there may be little or no choice on some essential item or unique products. However as consumers we should avoid the "rip off Britain" (& Europe) as much as possible.

If this Dell ends up with a big extra premium in the EU then so be it, I'll look elsewhere. There are a lot of brands to choose from.

DITTO!!!!

EU market 800 mio consumers , USA around 250mio, right?

And we consumers in EU always pay fooking more than USA, WHY?!!!!!!!!!!!!

RANT OFF :D

DITTO!!!!

Import taxes + higher sales taxes got anything to do with it?

If this is the same panel as the NEC, my thought is this: NEC championed this 23" panel based on the specs they wanted. After a certain run of panels, Dell could now be buying up the surplus panels. The question is whether the panels Dell are buying are lesser tolerances (panels NEC rejected)???

I doubt they are nec rejected panels. The u2211h most likely used the same panel as the HPs zr22w. LG should have plenty of capacity to produce a panel for more than 1 manufacturer.

DITTO!!!!

It's more like 500 million vs about ~310 million, with the latter not having fragmented markets separated by languages (English being a modern day lingua franca notwithstanding).

In any case...someone has to pay for healthcare.

If this is the same panel as the NEC, my thought is this: NEC championed this 23" panel based on the specs they wanted. After a certain run of panels, Dell could now be buying up the surplus panels. The question is whether the panels Dell are buying are lesser tolerances (panels NEC rejected)???
What about the ViewSonic VP2365wb? It came out almost at the same than the NEC. Curiously I do not remember a single complaint of uniformity problems with the ViewSonic... but then again it has been much less popular model (for example here, the ViewSonic thread is 3 pages vs. 66-page NEC thread, I guess that sums up the popularity).

Prad.de have reviewed the Viewsonic and they were quite critical of the uniformity. No surprises here, this is the key failing of these cheap e-IPS displays. I don't expect any better from the new Dell versions. Someone spotted earlier that the response to time Dell quote is grey to grey v NEC's black to white reference so it probably is the same panel part, but it's not the end of the world if the price is right

Yeah, we did get a bit off track.

I'm definitely not as critical as you. There are 4 main factors that make Europe much different than the US - warranties, taxes, volume and distribution, currency aside. You can never expect price parity or for it to be even remotely similar. It is not a matter of rationalising a crappy situation, but doing math and seeing how it adds up. Besides (and thankfully!), there isn't a (cut-thoat) free market culture as established as in the US.

Regarding the brands you mention that have close to price parity, I think it is much more reasonable that prices in the US are inflated to match the European ones than the other way around.

Still, I hope that you are right about street price. :)

Blazestorm said:
No it's most likely the same response time.

The difference is NEC listed the black-to-white response time (which takes longer), Dell lists the dark gray to light gray response time (which takes less time)
No, gray-to-gray takes more time without overdrive. 8 ms either means there's overdrive or they're making up numbers.

Yeah, we did get a bit off track.

Besides (and thankfully!), there isn't a (cut-thoat) free market culture as established as in the US.

I believe its that cut-throat free market why companies like Dell base themselves in the U.S rather than Europe. Think of it this way: you guys get social healthcare and more expensive welfare, and here we get low-priced monitors. ;)

Although, the US might (unfortunately) be heading the European way reaaaal soon. Then we'll all be buying from Asus or free-market asian companies. :mad:

Anyway, back to the U2311H, I cannot decide now whether to get 3x2209wa or three of these. While it is larger by 1 inch, the 2209wa has 16:10, and while 16:9 might be better for movies, it is much worse for productivity. And if I could fin the 2209wa for $215 like many people here have... I think that might be the better buy. I believe one 5870 can power 5040x1050 better than it can power 5760x1080 anyway. And if the reviews turn out to have the 2209's response time better than the u2311h, hmmm... the 2209wa might be a better buy.

To me it seems like the extra horizontal res of 1920 won't be noticed much anyway, as it'll be on the peripheries mostly (the vertical res of the 2209wa is only 30 pixels smaller than the 1080!).
Any thoughts on 2209wa vs. the u2311h for eyefinity?

No, gray-to-gray takes more time without overdrive. 8 ms either means there's overdrive or they're making up numbers.
I had a quick look at the NEC product page, it doesn't actually say which standard they used to quote the response time. Probably an ISO standard, but I can't remember how those were defined? I've a vague idea that g2g is better for comparing like for like.

Are you getting one of these to test? If RTC adds lag and halos I'll probably strike this from the short list.

I believe its that cut-throat free market why companies like Dell base themselves in the U.S rather than Europe. Think of it this way: you guys get social healthcare and more expensive welfare, and here we get low-priced monitors. ;)

Although, the US might (unfortunately) be heading the European way reaaaal soon. Then we'll all be buying from Asus or free-market asian companies. :mad:

Anyway, back to the U2311H, I cannot decide now whether to get 3x2209wa or three of these. While it is larger by 1 inch, the 2209wa has 16:10, and while 16:9 might be better for movies, it is much worse for productivity. And if I could fin the 2209wa for $215 like many people here have... I think that might be the better buy. I believe one 5870 can power 5040x1050 better than it can power 5760x1080 anyway. And if the reviews turn out to have the 2209's response time better than the u2311h, hmmm... the 2209wa might be a better buy.

To me it seems like the extra horizontal res of 1920 won't be noticed much anyway, as it'll be on the peripheries mostly (the vertical res of the 2209wa is only 30 pixels smaller than the 1080!).
Any thoughts on 2209wa vs. the u2311h for eyefinity?

Your argument would make sense if you where deciding between 1920x1200 and 1920x1080. How can a monitor with a higher resolution be worse at productivity even if it the difference between a 16:10 and a 16:9. In my opinion 1920x1080 is always better than 1680x1050. You gain width, which your eyes like better than height anyway. I have a 2209wa and can say it is a great monitor. I'm sure the u2311h is going to be just a good but with a better (higher) resolution.

I guess. The 2209 can still be found for cheaper I hear. :D

Not sure what the going rate is for the 2209wa currently but I got it for 212+tax shipped in Feb. I may sell it after my u2311h gets hear. Not sure yet. The u2311h should be a great monitor and it includes displayport so it will say about $100 for eyefinity by not having to get an active displayport adapter if eyefinity is what you are after. If you sign up for that 20% coupon, you could get 3 u2311h's for $750ish shipped.

And because some noob in later posts just don't know any better, i'll post this here as well:

The U2311H is not the same monitor as the U2410, not the same panel nor internal electronics. It is NOT the "same monitor but one inch smaller".

If you sign up for that 20% coupon, you could get 3 u2311h's for $750ish shipped.
20% coupon info for Dell Business (May 13-15th, 2010)

Edit: sorry, repost.

Last edited:
I hate these monitors ... why??? because I just bought a U2410 and they came out these great monitors .... argh DELL!!

Back