Dell U2311H

At any rate, even though the screen is defective, i can confirm that this screen is suitable for gaming. I run several first person shooters, including really twitchy ones like Quake Live, and i haven't noticed anything out of the ordinary. As soon as i get a replacement i'll try some more in depth testing but i was happy that the monitor was suitable for gaming. For all intended purposes, this is a good 23 inch counterpart to the 2209wa.

I got my display a couple days ago, and it has some tinting issues as well, specifically, a bad yellow tint in the lower left hand corner, hopefully I can get a replacement and it will be better. Aside from that, I like it quite a bit.

many people have this tinting problem... how annoying is it? is it annoying compared to using a TN monitor? i haven't ever noticed any issue like this on any tn...
2209wa doesn't have any problem like this, right? (i wonder about U2211H)

Is there a even a single person who has received a non defective u2311h yet? It looks like the ratio of defective ones is 100% so far.

Is there a even a single person who has received a non defective u2311h yet? It looks like the ratio of defective ones is 100% so far.
There are some that seem to have good units.

Makaveli6103 - tinting (vga), ?? (displayport)
sonyman - tinting (vga), OK (displayport)
wagsrules - tinting
AthlonXP - OK
TidalWaveOne - OK
Lyric Suite - defective
Moonraker 7 - tinting

But most have tinting. I think people should buy this monitor with the assumption that it will have some sort of tinting. If you're looking for monitor perfection you'll probably have to spend somewhere like $200 more.

Also confirming tinting issues with mine, blue on the left and much more yellow on the right.

edit: the more i look at it the more its bothering me, is there an easy way to initiate a return without having to call? Their customer support is terrible over the phone.

Last edited:
There are some that seem to have good units.

Makaveli6103 - tinting (vga), ?? (displayport)
sonyman - tinting (vga), OK (displayport)
wagsrules - tinting
AthlonXP - OK
TidalWaveOne - OK
Lyric Suite - defective
Moonraker 7 - tinting

But most have tinting. I think people should buy this monitor with the assumption that it will have some sort of tinting. If you're looking for monitor perfection you'll probably have to spend somewhere like $200 more.

There is still tinting issues with displayport. Yellow on the right and blue on the left.

I got my two U2311's setup.

Both have tinting (Blue on the left and yellow in the right) on VGA and DVI.

Why does LG have to be so horrible at making panels?

I guess these are going back to Dell for a refund.

There should be no difference between DVI and Display Port right, or should I go buy a display port cable and try that to see if the tinting is changed?

Well it looks like Dell doesn't want my money. I don't feel like playing tint roulette.

I ahve tried both dvi and displayport. Tinting is identical.

You already had an XL2370 too... which do you recommend? this Dell u2311 with tinting issues, or the Samsung? I don't know how annoying this tinting issue could be, compared to a TN.
What about the 2209wa? Is that overall better than this?

Also confirming tinting issues with mine, blue on the left and much more yellow on the right.

edit: the more i look at it the more its bothering me, is there an easy way to initiate a return without having to call? Their customer support is terrible over the phone.

If you go into your account on the dell website then click on your order number under My orders there should be a button to Request a Return. Then under initiate a return there is a button to click on to fill out an online return form. But can I ask what monitor are you going to get if you return this one? I was thinking about the NEC EA231WMi but is the tinting any better?

If you go into your account on the dell website then click on your order number under My orders there should be a button to Request a Return. Then under initiate a return there is a button to click on to fill out an online return form. But can I ask what monitor are you going to get if you return this one? I was thinking about the NEC EA231WMi but is the tinting any better?

Id like to keep it, just swap it for another one. There isn't really anything with an ips panel for the price I paid (250). I thought I remember reading about tinting issues with the NEC panel as well.

Yeah, the NEC is definitely not tint-free. Coming weeks will probably clarify (when more people get the U2311H) which is one safer bet.

Id like to keep it, just swap it for another one. There isn't really anything with an ips panel for the price I paid (250). I thought I remember reading about tinting issues with the NEC panel as well.

Do you know how long it takes to get a replacement? And do we have to pay for shipping back to dell?

You already had an XL2370 too... which do you recommend? this Dell u2311 with tinting issues, or the Samsung? I don't know how annoying this tinting issue could be, compared to a TN.
What about the 2209wa? Is that overall better than this?

I really don't notice the tint during normal use. Yes it is kindof apparent with a full google page open but I rarely do that. I prefer the better viewing angle with the tint issue to the xl2370.

Do you know how long it takes to get a replacement? And do we have to pay for shipping back to dell?
Problably will take as long as it took you to get the first one. Dell pays the return shipping. You don't have to send the first one in until you get the replacement, so send the worst one back if you are not happy with the replacement and make them send you another.

I think chances are way too high you'd just get another one with the same exact problem. It's probably not worth it unless you plan on getting something completely different.

I think chances are way too high you'd just get another one with the same exact problem. It's probably not worth it unless you plan on getting something completely different.

Well there is a 3 year warranty. So I am going to wait a month or two and hopefully something gets worked out then I will RMA it for an exchange. Right now everything else is awesome about the monitor and I only notice the tinting issue when I am in Photoshop or lightroom

My two monitors arrived on Friday, but I won't be able to test them until Wednesday night (when I build my new system).

A few questions:
What tests should I run (please provide links). Please instruct me on what you would like to see in terms of pictures so I can run the right tests.

Should I invest in calibration for these screens? What should I get?

Does it matter if I should run these on DisplayPort for testing? Shouldn't DVI more than suffice?

I just ordered two of these, couldn't help myself. 20% discount is ridiculous, plus 5% bing cash back.

It's weird, haven't received my email from bing to notify me of my cashback yet. Wonder if it went through or not.
I used the cashback link on Bing when I ordered mine and received no email from them, nor does my online account show any purchase activity. I don't think you can use cashback and the 20%-off coupon.

I used the cashback link on Bing when I ordered mine and received no email from them, nor does my online account show any purchase activity. I don't think you can use cashback and the 20%-off coupon.

When did you order?

I took a photo of a blank Notepad screen. I don't see any obvious tinting problem. If there is an issue, it's not easily visible. What does everyone think?
http://www.htmlvalidator.com/jpg/dell-u2311h-tinting.jpg

A little more testing with colors in PhotoShop (after shrinking the image):

Top left (RGB): 179, 179,182
Bottom left: 184, 182, 185
Top right: 197, 198, 197
Bottom right: 200, 200, 201

That looks pretty good to me.

I took a photo of a blank Notepad screen. I don't see any obvious tinting problem. If there is an issue, it's not easily visible. What does everyone think?
http://www.htmlvalidator.com/jpg/dell-u2311h-tinting.jpg

A little more testing with colors in PhotoShop (after shrinking the image):

Top left (RGB): 179, 179,182
Bottom left: 184, 182, 185
Top right: 197, 198, 197
Bottom right: 200, 200, 201

That looks pretty good to me.

I could live with that. It's visible but not obvious.

So, does everyone agree that this is the best deal a quality Eyefinity setup under $1000? (Assuming you use the 20% coupon)

So, does everyone agree that this is the best deal a quality Eyefinity setup under $1000? (Assuming you use the 20% coupon)

For a 3 monitor setup? Seems like a pretty good deal to me... and won't have to buy an expensive active adapter. I tried one of those and had problems - ended up returning it.

Back