Dell U2311H

I'm still wondering, if the Dell 2209WA would be a better buy compared to the U2311H, does anyone have some input on that?

It seems like the 2209WA doesn't have the tinting problem - despite that i'd prefer a 23" screen if not 24".

I'm still wondering, if the Dell 2209WA would be a better buy compared to the U2311H, does anyone have some input on that?

It seems like the 2209WA doesn't have the tinting problem - despite that i'd prefer a 23" screen if not 24".

I have the 2209WA personally and I've inspected a U2311 when I purchased for a family member.

The U2311 had very poor uniformity. While not at the level of obvious, glaring tint, the panel would be disqualified were it not in such a cheap monitor.

The 2209WA is fairly good in terms of uniformity. I would rate its image quality as higher than the U2311. Of course, this doesn't mean much because I've seen photos of other 2209WA units with the same tint issue.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bM9SbBB2ng0

Not the best video as the uploader fudged the aspect ratio, but it's still watchable.

From what I've read, the 2209WA seems to be the better monitor - it's slightly more responsive, can be run at 75Hz, is 16:10 (although only with a native res of 1680x1050) and even has better viewing angles (as seen in that video).

It's just a shame there's no 24" 1920x1200 version of the 2209WA, the U2410 is not the same and too expensive.

The 2209WA has much better viewing angles than the U2311. In fact I think the PVA EV2333W has slightly better viewing angles than the U2311, which is odd because typically IPS has that edge in off-angle contrast. Of course, I am specifically referring here to contrast, not colour accuracy over viewing angle.

It is important to note that the 2209WA uses a quite high 60W during operation, twice as high as the U2311 and EV23. The power consumption must be related to viewing angle, because the 2209WA has both higher power usage and very aggressive viewing angles with little darkening.

There shouldn't really be any noticeable difference in image between the two IPS monitors. Unfortunately, there was a clear performance difference in my case.

Last edited:
I have the 2209WA personally and I've inspected a U2311 when I purchased for a family member.

The U2311 had very poor uniformity. While not at the level of obvious, glaring tint, the panel would be disqualified were it not in such a cheap monitor.

The 2209WA is fairly good in terms of uniformity. I would rate its image quality as higher than the U2311. Of course, this doesn't mean much because I've seen photos of other 2209WA units with the same tint issue.

Does every U2311 suffer from this bad uniformity? I've been replacing these recently hoping to beat the odds and get a good one. But if it's an inherent or unavoidable flaw then I'll stop spinning my wheels and try finding another monitor.

Also, the 2209wa has been popping up a lot in various threads, but aren't they discontinued?

Does every U2311 suffer from this bad uniformity? I've been replacing these recently hoping to beat the odds and get a good one. But if it's an inherent or unavoidable flaw then I'll stop spinning my wheels and try finding another monitor.

Also, the 2209wa has been popping up a lot in various threads, but aren't they discontinued?

You know, it is a really interesting question... whether LG bins their panels for high volume partners like Dell... how massive the volume is for these parts and how quality is affected. I have no idea of what the rate of tinting in LG LM230W-- parts are.

We don't even know what causes the issue and whether it is technology specific. It may be a point that we can't recommend cheap IPS screens with the expectation that they offer similar basic panel performance as say, more expensive NEC or Mitsubishi IPS models.

Should poor uniformity be the norm, these screens still offer better than average value. Of course, the problem is that customers from this forum expect an issue-free experience.

I honestly think that if they can't offer good uniformity across the screen they shouldn't sell them. You wouldn't buy a sofa or a car with different colours at either end so why would you want to buy a monitor like that when you are looking at it for most of the day. it would drive me insane and I don't know how they can justify it.

That's not tinting, that's IPS glow. You'll only notice tinting on a white or very light coloured screen.

Oh, I see. Again, this is the first IPS panel I have personally owned, but that is good to know. As far as the tinting goes, I couldn't really discern it even on a white background.

Got through testing out another replacement, and I think things are looking better.

Again the right side is brighter than the left, but it's much more subtle. I think if a review site used my panel, they would say uniformity was OK or decent, instead of poor. There was some minor tinting but calibration got rid of it, and slight back light bleeding in the bottom corners. Still an improvement overall compared to the previous monitors.

So now I can either call it a day and stick with it, or ask for one more replacement and see if it gets any better.

Does anyone know if this will work? (The U2311H only has 1x VGA, 1x DVI & 1x DisplayPort - Graphics card will have either 2x DVI or 1x VGA and 1x DVI):

I'd like to hookup a DVD player (or possibly BluRay player in the future) to the U2311H, so I'd need a HDMI to DVI cable. Am I right in thinking there's isn't such a thing as Active/Passive cables with HDMI > DVI as they're pretty much the same thing, so any cheapo cable will do?

I also want to connect my PC to it at the same time as well, so I'd need either use VGA to VGA or ideally a digital connection so DVI to DisplayPort. Now I won't be using Eyefinity or more than 2 monitors, so am I right in thinking I don't need an Active cable for DVI > DP to work?

I'm a little bit confused with what Single Link cables are and how they differ, but I'm hoping I don't need them?

Last edited:
Does anyone know if this will work? (The U2311H only has 1x VGA, 1x DVI & 1x DisplayPort - Graphics card will have either 2x DVI or 1x VGA and 1x DVI):

I'd like to hookup a DVD player (or possibly BluRay player in the future) to the U2311H, so I'd need a HDMI to DVI cable. Am I right in thinking there's isn't such a thing as Active/Passive cables with HDMI > DVI as they're pretty much the same thing, so any cheapo cable will do?

I also want to connect my PC to it at the same time as well, so I'd need either use VGA to VGA or ideally a digital connection so DVI to DisplayPort. Now I won't be using Eyefinity or more than 2 monitors, so am I right in thinking I don't need an Active cable for DVI > DP to work?

I'm a little bit confused with what Single Link cables are and how they differ, but I'm hoping I don't need them?

Personally, I'd just get a BluRay DVD drive for the PC itself, but yeah, HDMI and DVI have the same signal so a basic HDMI-DVI cable will work fine. I use one myself to connect my 360 to the U2311H.

No, DP and DVI/HDMI use different signals, you would need an adapter. It'd be easier if you grabbed a DVI switch box, plug both things into there and just switch whenever you wanted.

Personally, I'd just get a BluRay DVD drive for the PC itself, but yeah, HDMI and DVI have the same signal so a basic HDMI-DVI cable will work fine. I use one myself to connect my 360 to the U2311H.
Fair point about the BluRay and is what I'd do myself, except I'm setting this up for my Dad who (being old-fashioned) likes his external equipment.

No, DP and DVI/HDMI use different signals, you would need an adapter. It'd be easier if you grabbed a DVI switch box, plug both things into there and just switch whenever you wanted.
I'm aware I need an adapter, but not sure if a passive one will do, i.e. this: http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=15-158-138

Seeing as I'm not using Eyefinity or more than 2 monitors, I'm not sure if a passive adapter/cable is sufficient or will it have to be active?

From what I can find (here in the UK), a DVI switch is more expensive than a passive DVI > DP cable. I'd rather go for whatever option is the cheapest.

Bleh, that indeed does suck if that's the case. I thought DisplayPort was the future, why have they made it so goddamn expensive for conventional adapters.

Is there a fix for this monitor not coming out of stand-by/sleep?? The computer wakes up just fine, via the mouse, but the monitor stays asleep.

I'm using the stock DVI cable, HIS HD5850 graphics card, and Windows 7 64-bit

Mine doesn't. The A00 ones seemed to have really bad issues. The A01 ones, there have been some with issues like backlight bleeding and tinting, although there have been others that have been without issues.

The only gripe with this panel is the poor viewing angles (compared to other IPS - much better than a TN, and rivalling a PVA), and the lack of the A-TW polarizer (although even the new PA series doesn't have them), which you don't expect at this price point.

Otherwise, it's an awesome panel (if you get a good one anyways). IPS panel at TN prices! Good response time and input lag for gaming, contrast is pretty good, and colour accuracy is said to be better than the U2410.

Mine doesn't. The A00 ones seemed to have really bad issues. The A01 ones, there have been some with issues like backlight bleeding and tinting, although there have been others that have been without issues.

The only gripe with this panel is the poor viewing angles (compared to other IPS - much better than a TN, and rivalling a PVA), and the lack of the A-TW polarizer (although even the new PA series doesn't have them), which you don't expect at this price point.

Otherwise, it's an awesome panel (if you get a good one anyways). IPS panel at TN prices! Good response time and input lag for gaming, contrast is pretty good, and colour accuracy is said to be better than the U2410.

I wish had received one like yours. My replacements so far have been A01 and they all have one issue or another, mostly with bad uniformity.

The latest replacement seemed alright, but turns out it has way more bleeding than I thought. It's showing through the top right and the bottom corners. I didn't notice nearly as much before because I didn't test it out on a pure black screen, I was too wrapped up making sure uniformity was good enough.

Well, back to Dell customer support for me on Monday.

I wish had received one like yours. My replacements so far have been A01 and they all have one issue or another, mostly with bad uniformity.

The latest replacement seemed alright, but turns out it has way more bleeding than I thought. It's showing through the top right and the bottom corners. I didn't notice nearly as much before because I didn't test it out on a pure black screen, I was too wrapped up making sure uniformity was good enough.

Well, back to Dell customer support for me on Monday.

I ordered two of these panels, what are the criteria I must meet in order to have a valid reason to return? I know lit stuck pixels, as low as 1, but what about tinting and backlight bleeding?

I ordered two of these panels, what are the criteria I must meet in order to have a valid reason to return? I know lit stuck pixels, as low as 1, but what about tinting and backlight bleeding?

For my two I said one had a stuck pixel and the other had horrible bleed. They accepted both.

I just bought a U2311H and had been trying it with different video and movies.

I'm quite happy with the monitor as a whole - it's great for reading and photos as far as I'm concerned but when I watch Original DVDs there seems to be a problem with it (I have these ripped full quality in my computer - so I'm not using the DVD-Rom to play them - when I do it's still the same).

The thing is that the movies seem badly compressed (pixelled and with moiré) - I've watched the same movies in my old Sony 19" monitor (and with my new 13" MacBook) and they are perfect. I'm using the DVI port of my Dell U2311H - last night I tried connecting it via VGA and it was slightly better yet I'm not convinced with the quality.

I have 3 days left to return the monitor to Dell in case I'm not satisfied with it so do you have any ideas or advice you can give me - does this happen to you or it might be defective?

Thanks a lot

Last edited:

I'm quite happy with the monitor as a whole - it's great for reading and photos as far as I'm concerned but when I watch Original DVDs there seems to be a problem with it (I have these ripped full quality in my computer - so I'm not using the DVD-Rom to play them - when I do it's still the same).

The thing is that the movies seem badly compressed (pixelled and with moiré) - I've watched the same movies in my old Sony 19" monitor (and with my new 13" MacBook) and they are perfect. I'm using the DVI port of my Dell U2311H - last night I tried connecting it via VGA and it was slightly better yet I'm not convinced with the quality.

I have 3 days left to return the monitor to Dell in case I'm not satisfied with it so do you have any ideas or advice you can give me - does this happen to you or it might be defective?

Thanks a lot

Are there any tinting issues (pink or green)?
Is the display uniform?
Does the backlight bleed (note that IPS glow is not backlight bleed -it's IPS glow if it is kind of violet and it changes with viewing angles)?
Dead pixels?
Also, check the black levels.

If there's none of those problems, then you're good. Be sure to calibrate the panel as it isn't so good out of the box.

Thanks a lot
did you try to turn off all the stupid so called image enchancments in the drivers for you video card? and what software and videocard do you use?, newer cards has better scalers than the older ones, btw vga is the worst input to use

There seem to be no tinting issues and the display seems to be uniform. About the dead pixels - how can I check this - is there any link to a test?

I'm using a Mac Pro so there are no possible image enhancements to be changed using my video card - I just calibrated the profile but it doesn't seem to be the problem.

My problem only happens when I watch movies - it's strange but if it's a high definition image it seems to be Ok (there are some strange artifacts from time to time), but when I watch films I've watched in other monitors (like a friend's iMac or my old Sony 19" Trinitron monitor) the same films are perfectly fine.

3 years ago I bought an 22" HP LCD and when I watched films it was the same but worse - finally I returned it and the guy at the shop told me it was normal since it was what I was paying for and if I wanted higher quality I should buy an expensive screen like an Apple Cinema Display.

Could it be that the U2311H is somehow lacking quality for watching movies and I'm expecting too much? How do you guys see your films on it - is the quality good in general?

Thanks for your help

I've had my two U2311H's for almost a month now. I have finally settled on some settings which I'm fairly happy with although I've had to turn gamma down via my graphics card as proper calibrated gamma for some reasons causes major eye strain for me (things look too washed out as well) - had quite a few problems over the past weeks with eye strain and these monitors.

However, my second monitor has really obvious tinting. About 25-35% of the left side of the screen is pinkish and then the remaining goes to green. Calibration is pretty much impossible because if I reduced green, the pink / redness increases and if I reduce red, the right goes far too green.

I can just about accept it but not sure I should as if I ever want to sell it I can't see many buyers being very impressed.

The problem is I didn't buy direct from Dell so my supplier will pick up the monitor and then test it. I'm very paranoid that they will plug it in and wont' see the issue. Then charge me for delivery.
The monitor quality is good, it's just the tinting which is blatantly obvious whenever I look at it.

Any advice?

Last edited:
Just to add to my previous post, I've taken some photos to illustrate the tinting. I would be interested to hear what you think. You should be able to see pink tinting over the first 23-35% of the screen or so then moving to green.

The first one has slight level adjustment to make it more obvious:

tint_normal-large.jpg

Then this one has even more level adjustment to show the tinting even more clearly:

tint_levels_adjusted-large.jpg

The final pic is from my other U2311H which has NO real tinting problems as a comparison:

good_monitor-large.jpg

that looks like what i got, half of my screen is greenishbrown and the other purpleish blue seems to be related to view angle when i sit right on front of it, its annoying when watching a movie i can realy see it on 2.35:1 when there is black bars, and half the screen looks just like a grayscale without the black
Just to add to my previous post, I've taken some photos to illustrate the tinting. I would be interested to hear what you think. You should be able to see pink tinting over the first 23-35% of the screen or so then moving to green.

The first one has slight level adjustment to make it more obvious:

tint_normal-large.jpg

Then this one has even more level adjustment to show the tinting even more clearly:

tint_levels_adjusted-large.jpg

The final pic is from my other U2311H which has NO real tinting problems as a comparison:

good_monitor-large.jpg

I'm considering not to buy this screen at all.. I just want a nice screen without flaws to a decent price :)

that looks like what i got, half of my screen is greenishbrown and the other purpleish blue seems to be related to view angle when i sit right on front of it, its annoying when watching a movie i can realy see it on 2.35:1 when there is black bars, and half the screen looks just like a grayscale without the black

Ah that is not good at all. Especially in terms of it affecting black level. My issue only affects whites and greys really.

It's certainly not right or acceptable..

I'm still paranoid that my supplier will not see the issue though and charge me for the return..

1920x1080@75Hz is possible over DVI (Displayport also, haven't tried VGA).

I uploaded the .inf here: http://data.fuskbugg.se/skalman01/u2311h.inf

Credit goes to ToastyX for providing the timing information. I tried to get 83Hz working over Displayport, didn't work though.

anything special you need to do in win7 to get this to work? i installed the driver, and 60hz is still the max resolution selectable, even after a system restart

also here's the video of my screens with a white background

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tWGcVMc2HZU

you can see the red/pink color shift when i move the camera around, is that pretty much the glow effect?

anything special you need to do in win7 to get this to work? i installed the driver, and 60hz is still the max resolution selectable, even after a system restart

also here's the video of my screens with a white background

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tWGcVMc2HZU

you can see the red/pink color shift when i move the camera around, is that pretty much the glow effect?

I just got this to work in Windows 7. How did you apply the driver?

You need to select the option that allows you to 'Have disk', then it'll override the default driver. Then once applied go out of the control panel and back into it.

I now have mine running at 75hz.. Very weird when the onscreen display says max resolution is 1920x1080@60hz but it also reports my current screen mode as 1920x1080@75hz.

So what is the benefit of running at 75hz? I thought refresh rate didn't matter on TFT's?

Last edited:
here is my issue
taken with Nikon D40x on stand with ISO 100
* the camera makes it a bit overkill due to its sensitivity compared to the human eye but you get the idea, the camera stand is a bit crooked
(fullsize)
sintel_1355-907.png

Last edited:
I'm considering getting 3x of this monitor for an eyefinity setup.

This monitor seems to be the best value for an IPS monitor.. any other contenders?

Back