Dell U2311H

That being said, my U2311h is much easier on my eyes than either monitor, so I prefer it over the other two. There is no text size difference that I have noted (even subtle ones). There probably *IS* a difference, but not one I have noted from prolonged use of all three monitors (using U2311h as my only monitor, now).
Thanks for the feedback.

Do you play any face paced games at all, like FPS's? I'm curious to know about any ghosting or input lag. I've read reviews, but I'd like to hear from people who actually own the monitor and have used it for some time :)

Could an owner of the U2311H do me a favour and tell me what the actual viewable screen dimensions are (width & height, preferably in cm or mm)?

I've Googled and can't find much except the diagonal length which is 58.42cm and Dell's own site only states the size of the entire monitor, not the screen itself.

Hi guys!

Is there a way to use 72Hz and 75Hz both without changing the driver?

With using the 75Hz driver, i managed to set 72Hz with Powerstrip, but i couldnt add it to the refresh rate list...

So now that I finally have a working computer, I've been using my U2311h for a week or so, and noticed a few issues. First, as mentioned before, the default color settings are terrible, and i had to do quite a bit of fiddling with it.

The other issues trouble me much more, though. When my PC went to sleep (monitor had been manually turned off) the monitor wouldn't turn back on when I hit keys/mouse and PC started up again. Monitor just said entering power saving mode. Now, I'd heard of this issue before, but only with regards to Display Port. I use the provided DVI cable.

the second issue is that when I turn off my monitor with the PC running, and turn it back on, it takes forever for the screen to show up. The power button lights up blue, but it takes upwards of ~75 seconds for picture to show up. Does not matter whether the monitor has been turned off for a while, or just for a second.

I feel like I got a lemon. I'll contact tech support, but if I end up having to send this back, it'll be frustrating. i had to wait over a month longer than estimated for my PC itself due to wrong part/and then Dead on Arrival (2 RMAs).

anyone had these issues? Other than these, I've been happy with the monitor. Sadly, the issues are starting to get really annoying. I had ignored the sleep issue by setting PC never to go to sleep, but the time it takes for the monitor to work after being turned off is harder to ignore. Is this normal? I swear it wasn't this long even just a day ago, but now it's intolerable..

ETA: same seems to be true for the monitor controls now. i hit the menu button and nothing is happening. i get the menu lock icon, but holding down the button above the power button for 10 secs is doing nothing. Grr.. I got the unlock to show up, but then pressing menu--nothing happens for a good long while, and locked icon shows up again.

The monitor also won't show a screen until "Starting Windows..." shows up. so no longer when the motherboard advertisement screen with the hit f* to boot from cd, f* to get to bios, etc.

Last update: fixed it, i don't really know how. i had been messing with my computer the same day this happened, and had to replug all cables in like the USB cable from the monitor. yesterday i tried switching the usb to different ports, but no go. today during my lunch break i hauled out the VGA cable and hooked the monitor up to my laptop to see if it was my PC or the monitor.. i had the exact same issues. then i rehooked everything back up to my PC to call tech support, and voila, it now works. i did switch the USB to yet another port, though, and plugged in the monitor to a different part of my surge protector. other than that.. i'd checked everything like replugging in the monitor to make sure things weren't properly seated, etc. all of that yesterday. who knows, i hope it was just somewhat of a fluke and i won't encounter the problem again. I feel somewhat stupid, but I'll leave this up in case it helps someone else. I know of at least a few other cases where people had similar issues with monitors, so def check everything!

eta: nvm not working again. same issues. wtf. really hate my computer luck these days.

Last edited:
Hi there,

I ordered a U2311H last Thursday, after looking respectively at Dell U2410, HP ZR24w, Samsung F2380MX, Nec EA231wmi, LG W2220P and hating they all had major flaws. I only bought the U2311H because after one of frustration over how all displays suck, I decided to for the best cheap option (250€) so I could wait 2 more years for displays to finally become any good.
Not without anxiety regarding all the issues the U2311H potentially carries along.

Anyway, the very same day I heard about the BenQ EW2420 / BL2400PT which looks great, supposedly in the line of F2380MX, for 250€ also.

My question is : do you think should I just send back the U2311H and get a BenQ ?
Or does the BenQ trails the flaws of the F2380MX : very slow response, burnt whites, loss of details in dark areas ?

Thank you.

Hi there,

I ordered a U2311H last Thursday, after looking respectively at Dell U2410, HP ZR24w, Samsung F2380MX, Nec EA231wmi, LG W2220P and hating they all had major flaws. I only bought the U2311H because after one of frustration over how all displays suck, I decided to for the best cheap option (250€) so I could wait 2 more years for displays to finally become any good.
Not without anxiety regarding all the issues the U2311H potentially carries along.

Anyway, the very same day I heard about the BenQ EW2420 / BL2400PT which looks great, supposedly in the line of F2380MX, for 250€ also.

My question is : do you think should I just send back the U2311H and get a BenQ ?
Or does the BenQ trails the flaws of the F2380MX : very slow response, burnt whites, loss of details in dark areas ?

Thank you.

Hi, I wouldn't do that. My brother had EW2420 and he decided to return it. It cost approx. 222€ in CZ with all taxes and even some vodafone mobile is added. And guess why? It's shit. Its response time is horrible, very horrible. Not mention unusable speakers and so on ...... it's BENQ, PERIOD! Now he has ZR24w and he is happy, but it's almost twice expensive than that BENQ. I bought U2311H for approx. 290€ and I'm happy. HP and DELL are probably the same, HP is little bigger and more expensive, but with twice power consuption and I think it has slower response (however it's very subjective). I would suggest to stay with DELL:)

Hiya

I've had to return two monitors so far, and debating if it's worth keeping the third or continue the 'Dell lottery'. All three of them were noticeably brighter on the right half of the monitor, and have a slight blue tint on the right side. I can handle the tinting, but the uneven brightness really jumps at me whenever I surf or have loading screens in games. It's very obvious when viewing lighter colours and white backgrounds.

I saw that some people here dealt with similar issues. I'd like to know if you folks eventually got one that was problem free, and how many replacements did it take?

Really? I had an A01, and while the backlight wasn't perfect, I couldn't see any noticeable luminance differences or tinting when looking at a white screen. The only thing I noticed was a slight shift in color temperature vertically, near the edges.

The brightness change is kind of gradual across the screen. On a site like mmo-champion, the left green border is several shades darker than the right border.

I believe my first monitor was a00, but the next ones were a01. I thought that just having an a01 would solve everything.

Hello,

I have a problem with my U2311H monitor. I have recently built a completely new system and after installing every driver (motherboard chipset, graphics driver etc. ) I still experience a bit of jagginess when I drag windows for example.

If I watch h a movie which has very fast movement in it, this jagginess occurs which basically means that for instance if someone moves his arm really fast, I can see some bits of the arm being "left behind" .. it is a sort of trailing, but not like when you have small response time. It is basically the same thing for example when you are playing an FPS game and have v-sync turned off. If you orbit around with your character really fast, you can see this effect..

I tried installing the drivers for the monitor but I have no idea how to do it, since there are only 3 files: u2311h.cat ; U2311H.icm ; U2311H.inf . What do I do with these files?

Thank you!

Oh :(

Do you mean a clear line (horizontal) cutting across the "updated screen" and "unupdated screen" portions? Or random, scattered, blocks of unupdated imagry?

Force vsync via either AMD CCC or nVidia CP for the:

Windows Desktop Manager.

Either that, or your refresh rate isn't set to 60Hz?

Last options would be resetting your display's settings, or going to something like "game" mode?

I'm sorry if I am stabbing at the dark, here, I don't really know what could be causing your setups issue.

Force vsync via either AMD CCC or nVidia CP for the:

Windows Desktop Manager.

Either that, or your refresh rate isn't set to 60Hz?

Last options would be resetting your display's settings, or going to something like "game" mode?

I'm sorry if I am stabbing at the dark, here, I don't really know what could be causing your setups issue.

Its not just vsync issue, I can feel that everything is a bit slow..graphics wise at least. It is as if I did not install any ForceWare driver at all. I tried what you mentioned above but no result...

I think I would need to install the monitor driver, but I don't really know what to do with those 3 files I mentioned above.

Thanks for helping me here by the way, appreciate it! :)

Well, if anything, right click on the each file and see if it gives an "install" option.
Or just go through Device Manager (Start-->Control Panel-->View as Large/Small Icons-->Administrative Tools-->Computer Management-->Device Manager-->Displays-->) and see if you can get it to pickup one of the files as the install information file.

EDIT: iirc, most monitor drivers are useless, and only give a "monitor name" for windows to see, since EDID did most of the heavy work? Maybe I am wrong? (again?)

I've only had problems with tearing when the Windows 7 welcome screen fades. Otherwise, there have been no issues, and the refresh rate is set at 60Hz. You might want to try connecting other devices to the monitor to see if the problem is consistent.

Yeah, I will try some things tomorrow.

Thanks for your help guys! I`ll write something when I get this resolved.

Can anyone confirm that when you turn off the monitor, the USB ports stop working? This happens on my U221H and it's somewhat disappointing assuming it's not a defect. My HP ZR22W keeps the USB ports powered even if I turn the monitor off.

USB ports, and the Dell soundbar, go off when:

No inputs, monitor sleeps
or
Powered off.

My HP w2408h does this, too...

Can anyone confirm that when you turn off the monitor, the USB ports stop working? This happens on my U221H and it's somewhat disappointing assuming it's not a defect. My HP ZR22W keeps the USB ports powered even if I turn the monitor off.

Yep, if you turn U2311H A01 off (with the blue button), USB goes off as well. If you put monitor in sleep mode, USB is still on.

What are the situation with the A01 revision, is it any better at all? I'm kind of picky and recently returned my Samsung PX2370, because of the vertical viewing angle, bad stand, and lousy HDMI performance.
I have my thoughts about buying this display, since half of you guys scream YEAH, while the others scream BAHH :)

Does anyone know, if they are releasing a new revision of the screen in the near future?

I doubt it. Although the U2311H is better than most other consumer monitors, and it generally looks pretty good, if you're picky about things like viewing angles, scaler options, and missing a few inputs, then I would suggest that you look at something else like the U2410, which is what I'm considering now.

yeah well, i don't care much about the scalar options, and i will definitely run it af native res. 1920-1080.
About the inputs, i would have prefered an HDMI input an maybe som audio out. But it's not that important to me.

What really bothers me, is the backlight bleeding, and if the tinting is too bad. Other than that i think i'll digg this screen totally :)

I have been looking a lot at the U2410, but i doesn't really seem to be that good of a buy. AFAIK, it's almost the same panel, but the U2410 is a little slower, and doesn't have as deep black as the U2311H. Furthermore it costs almost twice as much in Denmark, where i'm currently holding up.

Is the NEC, as badly built as the U2311H? and is the only difference the Overdrive that the dell is featuring?

I didn't notice any tinting on mine, nor backlight bleed (RevA01, France), and I'm perfactly happy with it.
I still have to take pictures and check them though.

What Nec are you talking about ? EA231wmi ?

I have been looking a lot at the U2410, but i doesn't really seem to be that good of a buy. AFAIK, it's almost the same panel, but the U2410 is a little slower, and doesn't have as deep black as the U2311H. Furthermore it costs almost twice as much in Denmark, where i'm currently holding up.

I agree that the black depth won't be as good because of the more powerful backlight, but the response time is as good if not better than the U2311H.

Nice, could be the QC by dell is better in europe?
Yes NEC EA231WMi.

I just got a look at the dell 2209WA, it looks pretty good. What does you guys prefer, the u2311H or the 2209WA? The price in DK is almost the same, around $355-360.

Oh wow. Was contemplating getting a new monitor and just saw the u2311h $235 shipped. Thinking I should get two.

Just got my U2211H today, and I am very impressed. This is my first IPS monitor, though the last standalone monitor I used was an old 17" Dell (I don't remember the model). I haven't bought new desktop parts yet, so I am currently connecting it through my laptop's VGA port, and the quality was still leagues above the laptop's TN LCD sitting next to it. The AG coating didn't really bother me as I am used to matte screens, but I did notice the tint issue a little bit. However, I could only see it on an all black screen, and only when viewing on an off angle horizontally. Still, I thought this was an excellent buy at the price I paid ($200 with tax and shipping).

One more thing, in case some of you are worried that the 21.5" U2211H is too small compared to the more expensive U2311H, it isn't that big of a deal really. Maybe my eyes are just good, but I found that the screen was more than large enough, considering that the other LCD I am using has an incredibly small dot pitch in comparison (14.1" at 1440 x 900). It may be a moot point if the price difference between the two were much smaller, but currently, the U2311H is quite a bit more expensive due to apparently lower supply.

Last edited:
i posted earlier about getting my RMA unit. I edited because I found out that my problems were in fact software-related. SpeedFan, if it ever runs, somehow changes the monitor settings and the monitor takes 1-2 mins to turn on, menu button is permanently locked, and monitor won't show a screen until "Starting Windows." the reason I didn't figure this out before was because my original monitor had the same problems when I hooked it up to my laptop, suggesting it was the monitor, and not my PC. The only way to reset the monitor was to unplug and replug it.. does not matter if Speedfan got turned off, computer rebooted, etc. Bizarre problem..

but now I have to decide whicih monitor to keep. The new unit is an A01 manufactured in October, the old one manufactured in August. The new unit has more uneven backlight bleeding (4 corners) which bothers me when watching dark scenes in movies.. but the old unit has brightness problems. At least, the two monitors have severely different brightness levels. I had my old set to 40, and my new one at 40 is SIGNIFICANTLY brighter. ( I have them hooked up at the same time.) Only by turning my new one down to 0 do the two look comparable.

Any thoughts? Which should I keep? Backlight bleeding vs. dark monitor.. Mostly worried that the brightness level of the old unit could be a defect.. or maybe units do vary completely wildly with regards to brightness..

Last edited:
The AG coating didn't really bother me as I am used to matte screens, but I did notice the tint issue a little bit. However, I could only see it on an all black screen, and only when viewing on an off angle horizontally.
That's not tinting, that's IPS glow. You'll only notice tinting on a white or very light coloured screen.

Back