Dell S-Line Screens - S2740L, S2440L, S2340M, S2340L, S2240M

But as you can see on the pictures the 23inch version isnt so reflective as the 24 and 27 version

He's got the 24" model ...

Anyway, 22" and 23" should also be as reflective as 24" and 27". The only difference is these smaller models don't have edge to edge glass, but the glass is still there. Unless it's somehow different from the one used in 24" and 27" models.

Check the pictures on page 18 and you will see what i mean about 23 version being less reflective. I think that edge to edge glass makes the screen more reflective on 24 and 27 models.

Ok, but the 23" version also has glass. It's just that part at the bottom of the screen that makes the difference. Other than that it should be the same as 24" and 27" versions. There's an unboxing video of S2340L on youtube and there you can see it's very reflective as well.

Anyway, I was referring to freestonew's mini review of S2440L which is 24" and not 23".

Ok, but the 23" version also has glass. It's just that part at the bottom of the screen that makes the difference. Other than that it should be the same as 24" and 27" versions. There's an unboxing video of S2340L on youtube and there you can see it's very reflective as well.

Anyway, I was referring to freestonew's mini review of S2440L which is 24" and not 23".

good morning all.

here I sit with my s2440l. A sunny day, bright sun. the kitchen lights are on and the kitchen is part of my living room. I do see reflections, but strange, they do not bother me much. I am not sure why. I have a suspicion that for all of my life I have looked through windows where there is a reflection and my brain has accommodated and adapted to this.
my brain might have trouble with a AG coated screen, though.
I can well imagine that for for some people, their brain has not adopted yet to reflections. my suggestion: give your brain time to adjust!

And i do note that this monitor cannot be raised. tipped, tilted, yes, but not raised or lowered.
here is my suggestion.

Tomes!

go to a used bookstore, if you do not have any books, go buy some cheap thick Tomes, old coffee table books, of various thicknesses and use these as risers to set the stand upon. I am using two books.

This s2440l is a mva panel, i believe. it is not the ips that the 23 or 27 inch has. the 24 inch model has only this panel.

I do not seem to notice any problems with this monitor if i look at the end of the screen, i can see the image even at an angle of view.

if i move the mouse cursor around, on a black background i see no trailings.

and do i mean "Black"! the blacks are deep and rich. no AG coating haze here.

a photo?

i might try one soon. i once tried a comparison between my crt and my older nec ea23wmi and on the crt all i got was a flickering image.

now the screen door effect.
on my old crt, bless its heart, the diagonal measurement is 18" but the model says 19". the dot pitch is very small plus the screen size is smaller too.
but if i look closely at the crt screen I see some screen effect there.
[good grief, i wonder how bad this effect is on a 27" dell with only that 1080 res?!]

there is seemingly no way i can get away from screen effect unless I use the apple cinema. even there I see it if i look closely.
oh the catleaps, oh the high end monitors.
we are talking $500 to $2000 now. plus the high res means that my computer really needs to be replaced! a new video card will cover my Express slot and there goes my wonderful creative sound card!
Oblivion or skyrim, at very high res, means a slideshow as my poor emachine processor cannot keep up! Yes, at 71 years old, i love rpg games. especially first person view "I am there" games.
----in other words, for my $200, this is the best monitor that i can buy, i guess. I have a limited disability income and I am 71 years old and live in a senior home!

the settings menu is tricky. I like it but i have to learn not to try to press the on-screen arrows *on* the screen!

I will now try to take a picture or three, on another post.

freestone

For me the main problem with reflections is that it can damage your eyes after some time. I already wear glasses and I wouldn't want my sight defect to get even worse.

freestonew, thanks for your mini review, but seeing this:

DSC05316.jpg

Anyway, it would be nice if you could post some photos just to confirm your version (not that I think you're lying - I just want to see some more photos of S2440L :D).

hi again.

I took some photos and screenshots. yes there are reflections and strange, the photos show them far more than I actually see. I took the photos with my canon powershot and the screenshots were just from the windows screenshot function.

IMG_1115.jpg.html

a screenshot of a street outside of my apartment. Tis nice.

IMG_1115.jpg.html

a screenshot of the same image in a photo editor. note the deep blacks, I wanted to show this.

IMG_1115.jpg.html

a photo taken of the monitor. there is a bit of reflection.

IMG_1115.jpg.html

at an angle. note how that you can see the end of the screen fairly well.
note how the kitchen light reflects.

IMG_1115.jpg.html

my room looking North. a LOT of light!

IMG_1115.jpg.html

my room looking south. see how even at 10 AM the florida sun really shines in.

so if my photos show reflections, you see what i am dealing with here.
And yet I can use this monitor without complaints.

never ending edits . finally got the photos up.

so here I have been sitting in my room for nearly an hour and a half and no eyestrain or headaches or otherwise "queasy" feelings.

that nice hp tn panel monitor, also glossy, gave to me *so* bad a "head condition" that i could not even see visually right for about three hours after only using it for an hour!

my nec ea23wmi has this same problem, not so bad, an ips screen but with flouresant lighting panel.

thus this mostly LED driven panel plus the va panel seems to give to me NO such problems.

what good is a supurior screen if i cannot use it?!
thus I should be happy here with my monitor.

and even another tiny thing. some new electronics really stink up the room with outgassing smells and for a while. my copd is not happy. but this dell seems to be not so "stinky"!

i hope this all helps.

freestone
freestone

Last edited:
For me the main problem with reflections is that it can damage your eyes after some time. I already wear glasses and I wouldn't want my sight defect to get even worse.

There is actually very little evidence to support that theory. If you are straining to see then your muscles are becoming strained and you should take a break if needs be. If you continuously struggle to see past reflections (you will know when this is happening) then your eyes will be fatigued. Permanent damage to your sight is very unlikely. I've personally used glossy and matte screens for years - taking a break when I feel I need to - and my eyes are perfect. My wife is an ophthalmologist and has studied this kind of thing extensively.

MY S2440L flickers...

Definate PWM flicker... that increases and increases as you turn the brightness down :( HUGE amount of PWM at lowest brightness setting. I am absolutely not imagining it. It's the same amount of insane PWM flickering as with any other LED monitor I tried so far at lower brithness settings.

Very very dissapointing. I am not joking - you people must have gotten "older" models or something. I just got my S2440L this week's (Monday) from a place called Dustin in Sweden where I live.

I think it probably has flickering at full brightess as well - but it is much harder to detect at full brightnes.

I would SERIOUSLY recommend you trying out this monitor in a store, or buy it in a way so that you can return it (I can't... i didn't think it would be neccecary).

Anyone want a PWM:ing S2440L for cheaps? =( Raise your hand...

Thats odd. How can you tell that its flickering or not? Going by 'feeling' isnt permissible as proof around here. :)

Anyhow. I'm sure you can return it or at least exchange it. You can do it in almost all civilized countries. Contact the store.

Thats odd. How can you tell that its flickering or not? Going by 'feeling' isnt permissible as proof around here. :)

Anyhow. I'm sure you can return it or at least exchange it. You can do it in almost all civilized countries. Contact the store.

Well, see, the flicker is so AGGRESIVLY noticeable, that you do not need any technique to determine it.

If you move your eyes the slightest around on the screen at lowest brightness setting, the whole screen digitally flickers in a hugely "choppy" way - without the expected smoothness... and if I increase it... the more smooth it becomes, but I don't think it's 100% smooth even at highest setting.

I just had my friend Jonas over who could see it too on lower settings.

I am not going to go out of my ways to prove this with any technique, I'll simply write this to warn you - be wary - I am sure that there ARE PWM free models out there... I just did NOT get one.

I won't write back now until I have gotten one without PWM or any other monitor without PWM. I can't STAND flickering =(

Too bad.. the monitor is EXCELLENT for viewing video... etc...

If it's so bad that you can't stand it then perhaps the monitor is damaged in some way or something. All reviews say it's PWM free. Call Dell and ask if they could replace it or something.

Well, see, the flicker is so AGGRESIVLY noticeable, that you do not need any technique to determine it.

If you move your eyes the slightest around on the screen at lowest brightness setting, the whole screen digitally flickers in a hugely "choppy" way - without the expected smoothness... and if I increase it... the more smooth it becomes, but I don't think it's 100% smooth even at highest setting.

I am not going to go out of my ways to prove this with any technique, I'll simply write this to warn you - be wary - I am sure that there ARE PWM free models out there... I just did NOT get one.

I won't write back now until I have gotten one without PWM or any other monitor without PWM. I can't STAND flickering =(

http://www.tftcentral.co.uk/reviews/dell_s2440l.htm

PWM Flicker Tests at Various Backlight Brightness Settings

100% 50% 10%

Pulse Width Modulation Used
No

Cycling Frequency
n/a

Possible Flicker at

100% Brightness
No

50% Brightness
No

10% Brightness
No

We tested the screen to establish the methods used to control backlight dimming. Our recent article talks in more details about a common method used for this which is called Pulse Width Modulation (PWM). A series of photos was taken using the method outlined in the article. These were taken at 100%, 50% and 10% brightness settings. We would normally also test this at 0% brightness but the screen was so dark it was hard to get a decent photograph. These tests allow us to establish 1) whether PWM is being used to control the backlight, 2) the approximate frequency at which this operates, and 3) whether a flicker may be introduced or potentially noticeable at certain settings.

A thin white line was shown on an all-black background and a photograph was taken at a slow shutter speed of 1/8 second (in this example) as the camera was scanned left to right in front of the screen. This produces a series of white lines which can be used to identify the frequency of the PWM and how quickly the backlight is cycled on and off. The higher this frequency, the less likely you are to see artefacts and flicker. The duty cycle (the time for which the backlight is on) is also important and the shorter the duty cycle, the more potential there is that you may see flicker. Please remember that not every user would notice a flicker from the backlight but it is something to be wary of. It is also a hard thing to quantify as it is very subjective when talking about whether a user may or may not experience the side effects. We are able to at least measure the frequency of the backlight using this method and tell you whether the duty cycle is sufficiently short at certain settings that it may introduce a flicker to those sensitive to it.

Interestingly the Dell S2440L does not use PWM at all for dimming of the backlight. Even at 0% brightness there was no sign of the usual splitting of the white line that you'd expect to see in these tests. We carried out the checks at an even slower shutter speed which returned the same result. This is great news for those who are affected by flickering backlights and suffer from eye fatigue and eye strain. It seems we have seen quite a few new monitors recently which don't use PWM for backlight dimming. The HP ZR2740w, DGM IPS-2701WPH, ViewSonic VP2770-LED, Samsung S27B970D and Dell U2713HM spring to mind as other models which do not use PWM which we have tested recently.

hmmmm.
maybe your monitor is defective.

say!
---in Sweden eh? is it possible that there is a mis-match between your monitor and the currant cycle, in your country?

here in America the cycle is, i belive, 60 cycles per second at 120 volts.

Scientists describe the cycle of switching directions as the frequency. Frequency is measured in Hertz (Hz). Currents that cycle more often during a specific amount of time are said to have a higher frequency. AC power cycles 60 times per second in the US.

Since the web is a global resource, we should also mention that there are different alternating current frequencies across the world. While we all use alternating current, the switching happens different amounts during a specific time period. Most countries use AC frequencies at either 50 hertz or 60 hertz.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Mains_power_around_the_world

Sweden [is],

230 V

50 Hz

Non-grounded sockets are prohibited in new installations. 400 V for some washing machines and other fixed installations. In bathroom etc. 110–115 socket can be found and used for shavers and other "bathroom tools". Formerly 220 V.

here in the usa 120 volts at 60 cycles a second and if you live in sweden, the above table is true.

maybe your s2440l is made for another country!!

the Manual says....
[AC/DC adapter*
Input
voltage/frequency/current
Delta adapter ADP-40DD B: 100 VAC to 240 VAC / 50 Hz to 60 Hz + 3 Hz / 1.5 A
(Max.),
Lite-On adapter PA-1041-71: 100 VAC to 240 VAC / 50 Hz or 60 Hz + 3 Hz / 1.2 A
....reads like it should be compatible. look at the actual converter box and make sure. you could contact dell to ask them.

otherwise might be defective. I do not see flicker and i am sensitive to it and i have lowered the brightness down too.

the only other thing that i could think of is that your power is "dirty" coming from the line. buy a surge protector that says, "conditions and filters the currant": most of them do. try it.

then there is the video card. try going from hdmi to vga or vis-versa.
if a change of input fixes it, then maybe it is not your monitor.
in nvidia cards, one should use the RGB settings.

if you can, try adding this monitor to another computer. if the monitor is OK with another computer, then it is the computer that makes the problem! if you can not, try pluging in the monitor to another circuit. be sure to use the hdmi connection, not the vga. you can buy a hdmi-dvi converter connector cheaply.

other than that, i have run out of ideas.

freestone

Last edited:
Hi Guys,

Got my S2340L yesterday. Loving it :D As you can see on the pictures, it does show some reflections in darker images. Otherwise, it's fine. Lights are on, except for the last picture.

if you can really see it like that with the naked eye and it's massively obviously to several people it sounds very much like a faulty unit, or perhaps something to do with the current / voltage as suggested above (good idea by the way!)

at 100% brightness there should be no need at all for PWM as there's no "dimming" going on, and i don't recall ever seeing or hearing about a screen which shows PWM flicker at a full brightness control.

sounds like a dodgy unit or something else to me!

sounds like a faulty power board. get it exchanged.

Is that a Mac Mini you're running with it?

If so, how does the screen take to it as I've heard they are a bit of a mixed bag with monitors.

Hi Guys,

Got my S2340L yesterday. Loving it :D As you can see on the pictures, it does show some reflections in darker images. Otherwise, it's fine. Lights are on, except for the last picture.

Is that a Mac Mini you're running with it?

If so, how does the screen take to it as I've heard they are a bit of a mixed bag with monitors.

Actually, it's a Macbook Air. I'm using a DisplayPort to HDMI cable. So far so good.

About my S2440L:

if you can really see it like that with the naked eye and it's massively obviously to several people it sounds very much like a faulty unit, or perhaps something to do with the current / voltage as suggested above (good idea by the way!)

at 100% brightness there should be no need at all for PWM as there's no "dimming" going on, and i don't recall ever seeing or hearing about a screen which shows PWM flicker at a full brightness control.

sounds like a dodgy unit or something else to me!

No, no, no.

Not a faulty unit. Logic dictates it is working a-okay. See first of all, the unit changes flickering frequency ONLY during brightness control. Had it been a faulity unit or something to do with current - the pwm would NOT be changing - the flicker would be pretty much constant at all levels.

Current does NOT make a screen flicker at different speeds at different brightness setting.

The monitor is also bought in Sweden for Swedish current. (shouldn't matter though, most monitors are designed to work for any current)

By the way; it flickers DIGITALLY: i.e the whole screen flickers, perfect "frame by frame" flicker - this would not increase if it was a current issue, especially since it runs on DC (there is a box that converts AC to DC outside the monitor).

My S2440L flickers EVEN WHEN NO COMPUTER IS CONNECTED TO IT and it is only showing the DELL logo and the box saying "this monitor will turn off in 5 mins" (or something like that).

And...

At 100% - there is 99% of the time on all monitors STILL PWM going on.
You see, the routine is not written like you imagine it to be. I am a programmer myself and I know for a fact that most programmers aren't very good at what they are doing. When they write a PWM they also want the least amount of code that requires the least amount of cpu, therefor...

It's almost always written like this:
Turn ledlights on
wait a while
Turn ledlights off
wait a while
cycle

So even when you have it at 100%, the routine reads like this:
Turn ledlights on
wait the longest while
Turn ledlights off
NO WAITING TIME (OR; very short waiting time) <-- but the lights STILL went off for a little while, even though there was "no waiting time" DURING the off cycle
Turn ledlights on again... etc

Don't belive me? Check out pwm at full brightness on this page: http://www.tftcentral.co.uk/articles/pulse_width_modulation.htm
(the pictures on the bottom of the page, before "conclusion")

This means that it can be VERY hard to determine for a human if PWM is OFF at full brightness or still working at full brightness. However, if you are sensitive to PWM, you are probably STILL going to get headaches and nausia and feeling sick even if the image SEEMS completely static at 100% brightness on a PWM monitor (with a typical PWM routine as above).

I can only speculate here, but the PWM is actually the fastest on/off switching (once the switch occurs) at 100% brightness (and 1% brightness), which could mean that you are in fact making your problems WORSE by having it at 100% - the PULSE reaching your eyes / brain / nervous system is "going in at the highest rate". But I have no idea on this one. Because at 100% (or 1%) brightness, the pulses are also the furthest apart from each other. Very very hard to determine which would be the least harmful for you. Both are still terrible. PWM free is the only way to go.

And I wrote to the guys reviewing this monitor and they said another user had reported the same issue. I would take pictures of it, but i don't own a digital camera :(

I guess you just have to trust me on this one. I am going to try to get some other pwm free monitor and hope for the best.

The monitor IS however absolutely superb in every other aspect. Watching HD video on it is fantastic, especially when you changed to extended in the nvidia settings, and changed a little on the contrast in the nvidia settings.

Regards
Syndrome

Last edited:
^ expert comments on the above are welcome. till then ill just have to postpone my purchase. is there a true flicker free monitor out there?

^ expert comments on the above are welcome. till then ill just have to postpone my purchase. is there a true flicker free monitor out there?

There probably are, I just havn't seen one yet.

I got a list from TFT central in the mail, of monitors they have tested to NOT have PWM: (Which most I have not tried, so there is hope!)

Dell U2713HM &#8211; 8-bit module, no FRC
Dell S2440L &#8211; 8-bit AMVA module, no FRC
DGM IPS-2701WPH &#8211; 8-bit module, no FRC
ViewSonic VP2770-LED &#8211; 8-bit + FRC added by scaler
Samsung S27B970D &#8211; 8-bit PLS module, no FRC

Notice that the S2440L is in there - I do not doubt that they had a PWM free S2440L sent to them, however, the one I got has pwm.

As for the rest of the monitors on the list - only way to find out is to in one way or another get your eyes on one :) Send them back and forth if they do have pwm, or try one out in a store (hard to find where i live, i have to order by mail).

Please note: I do NOT know which of the above monitors have LED or other backlighting. Probably what you want is PWM free LEDS since CCFL flickers by nature. Check specs for yourself.

So, it is hard to determine which to buy. You probably do want a monitor without FRC as well, as FRC flickers fast between colors (to simulate a broader color range) - if you are sensitive to PWM.

It's a shame really that my S2440L has PWM. It's got perfect full hd - 1 pixel equal 1 pixel on a hd movie - best for clarity in watching movies. I love the glossy look of it. The price is low. The panel type has great black levels and great contrast. :(

By the way... you MIGHT get a PWM free monitor if you buy a Dell S2440L - maybe you should try and order one? Maybe I actually got an EARLIER model WITH pwm, and those reviewing it got a LATER model? Or maybe the other way around? Who knows?

Last note: you probably want to hook a PWM free monitor up with HDMI or DVI - since this would produce the least amount of tiny flickering noise as well, for the most static image possible.

I'd be most happy to buy a PWM free monitor from anywhere if anyone has any tips...

Last edited:
I have tried that Lagom test posted earlier on my S2240M and well...
What are you supposed to see if there's some PWM flickers...?
I made a friend tried that test and he said one of testing screens was making his monitor flashing like crazy.

I guess if I'm asking the question, there wasn't any... :)

my s2440l seems to have no flicker. no pwm.

there are people who *cannot* look at any screen device, even a phone screen, without massive headaches and problems.

http://vasyafromukraine.webs.com/

then read...
http://www.cloanto.com/users/mcb/19960719lcd.html

ya want to read about screen *Pain*?! read these long long articles. people who cannot use *any* screen device at all, tv, phone, monitor.

A Solution for Apple and Windows 7 Users

Most of today's Apple products show no signs of flicker when being measured for PWM. Yet some users report having severe symptoms, similar to PWM problems, without without flicker being measurable. Someone measured his LCD to have no flicker, but still had his symptoms with it, while he paradoxically had almost no problems with an other LCD with PWM at 170 Hz. When the user tried a non-native screen resolution, he found that his symptoms had 70% gone. Some users were fine with their LCDs until they upgraded from Windows XP to Windows 7. So there is something going on with windows 7 and Apple's operating systems that is different from Windows XP in the way these operating systems are sending the signal from the PC to the monitor. Often, a non-native screen resolution is a solution in such cases.

you, syndrome, might be one of those people who was written about in that paragraph above. try his solution, then.

these two people in these articles went to desperate measures to try to live with this. one guy also was alergic to nearly every smell in the air.
[MCS]

so these two articles, syndrome, i found very very informative.

freestone

Someone measured his LCD to have no flicker, but still had his symptoms with it, while he paradoxically had almost no problems with an other LCD with PWM at 170 Hz. When the user tried a non-native screen resolution, he found that his symptoms had 70% gone.

there are too many reasons for symptoms to come on in an LCD panel. Perhaps the original issue wasn't with PWM but with something else that is why it worked. Non native resolution does change the frequency at which electronics operate inside the LCD so perhaps at some frequency the monitor stabilized itself to work without issues.

Some users were fine with their LCDs until they upgraded from Windows XP to Windows 7. So there is something going on with windows 7 and Apple's operating systems that is different from Windows XP in the way these operating systems are sending the signal from the PC to the monitor.

difference would be cleartype which needs registry editing for system wide removal of cleartype in windows 7. blurry fonts cause headaches.

Often, a non-native screen resolution is a solution in such cases.

A non native resolution would blur the cleartype fonts so that is one explanation of why it works,

There probably are, I just havn't seen one yet.

I got a list from TFT central in the mail, of monitors they have tested to NOT have PWM: (Which most I have not tried, so there is hope!)

Dell U2713HM &#8211; 8-bit module, no FRC
Dell S2440L &#8211; 8-bit AMVA module, no FRC
DGM IPS-2701WPH &#8211; 8-bit module, no FRC
ViewSonic VP2770-LED &#8211; 8-bit + FRC added by scaler
Samsung S27B970D &#8211; 8-bit PLS module, no FRC

It's a shame really that my S2440L has PWM.

I'd be most happy to buy a PWM free monitor from anywhere if anyone has any tips...

any 24 inch or less monitors which were on that list? can you exchange s2440l and see if this problem goes away?

since you mentioned frc that would be something else to research on, so much tech jargon... i love it :D

Notice that the S2440L is in there - I do not doubt that they had a PWM free S2440L sent to them, however, the one I got has pwm.
if the pwm software control program is faulty as per your suggestion.how do you come to this conclusion?

i thought pwm was a hardware implementation. so it would either be there in all the monitors or not be there...

the flicker is dependent on some having this software coding issue and some not.. as you are saying.. doesnt make sense. were more than one software implementation used since you say tftcentral got a good monitor and that too with same hardware which is supposed to be pwm hardware free?

if the pwm software control program is faulty as per your suggestion.how do you come to this conclusion?

i thought pwm was a hardware implementation. so it would either be there in all the monitors or not be there...

the flicker is dependent on some having this software coding issue and some not.. as you are saying.. doesnt make sense. were more than one software implementation used since you say tftcentral got a good monitor and that too with same hardware which is supposed to be pwm hardware free?

What I meant was the software code / hardware code running the PWM INSIDE the monitor. Whatever you want to call it :) This part, the pwm "unit" (hardware and software in the physical PWM structure) was what I meant.

NOT any software program running inside your computer.

IE: that they've ADDED a hardware PWM stage (that could very well be running a software routine to trigger the backlight switching) to the backlight at some point - in the monitor I got, and that it's not implemented in some other S2440L models.

Hope this clears things up...

I can definitely say the 24 inch version (S2440L) crushes the 27 inch version (S2740L), being an AMVA panel it has a true contrast ratio of 3,000 to 1 vice the 27 inch version which is IPS and according to TFT.Central has a substantially lower contrast ratio at 691. the 24 inch has a 0.04 black vice a 0.17 on the 27 inch version. I've tried both, just picked up the 24 inch today from BestBuy for $199 price matched Amazon. This monitor is an absolute beast when it comes to the 360, looks incredible - if you set output to CR 709, don't ask my why, it just looks better. Nvidia users should change their output display to YCbCr444 within the driver panel - makes the screen look much better. I think this monitor is good for the PS3 as well, though since the PS3 lacks a scaler it doesn't look as good as the 360 on this monitor. The glass on this monitor is beautiful - reminds me of my old CRT. I have my setup in a darkened room with specific theater LED low light - 17watt.

Last edited:
@philstat

Hi Phil,

Is your S2440L free of PWM Flicker?

Any photos of your setup in your darkened room?

Can you provide some more details about the specific theater LED low light - 17watt?

Thanks,

@philstat

Hi Phil,

Is your S2440L free of PWM Flicker?

Any photos of your setup in your darkened room?

Can you provide some more details about the specific theater LED low light - 17watt?

Thanks,

Yes - have yet to see ANY flicker at all regardless of setting - I currently have mine calibrated with brightness at 45 and contrast at 75 - no issues what so ever. I don't have anything to do photos with. At Home Depot, Lowes, Walmart etc., they sell ultra low - non flickering and neutral lighting at 17 watts (LED based) you'll also want lower lumen about $15 for one - outstanding to provide some natural light within the room yet not enough to cause any glaring. I have mine on an outlet about 7ft in the air over top of my PC work area - makes for a very natural view.

philstat...

BestBuy will price match from Amazon.com? Didn't know that...might be time to visit the old BestBuy and pick up the S2440L.

kind of didnt make sense. ill look forward to your experience with the replacement.

Yes - have yet to see ANY flicker at all regardless of setting - I currently have mine calibrated with brightness at 45 and contrast at 75 - no issues what so ever. I don't have anything to do photos with. At Home Depot, Lowes, Walmart etc., they sell ultra low - non flickering and neutral lighting at 17 watts (LED based) you'll also want lower lumen about $15 for one - outstanding to provide some natural light within the room yet not enough to cause any glaring. I have mine on an outlet about 7ft in the air over top of my PC work area - makes for a very natural view.

those bulbs sound great. how did you check them for being non flickering?

Any comments on the 23 IPS panel vs. 24 VA panel?

I'm looking at buying 2 of these, and I'm really undecided which way to go. I'm a little afraid of the screen door affect on the 24, as it might drive me crazy.

For those of you who purchased one, I checked a non working unit out in Best Buy, and it seemed poory constructed. Any comment on that now that you have one at home? I was looking for the power button and i accidentally pushed the glass panel in about an 1/8 inch.

I have an Asus vw222u which I love, but the buttons have stopped working and it's gone to full brightness on me. I currently have it paired with a 20 inch Ultrasharp, which has been fantastic for a very long time. This is why I'm leaning toward the Dell.

I have not noticed screen door effect at all - not even once and I have the 24-inch version.

The bulb that I bought on the package it said non-flickering multi-LED 17-watt - 25,000 hours.

The bulb that I bought on the package it said non-flickering multi-LED 17-watt - 25,000 hours.

try pointing your cellphone camera at the leds with -2.0 exposure. you should be able to see them flicker or not. that will be a real life proof. :D

What I meant was the software code / hardware code running the PWM INSIDE the monitor. Whatever you want to call it :) This part, the pwm "unit" (hardware and software in the physical PWM structure) was what I meant.

NOT any software program running inside your computer.

IE: that they've ADDED a hardware PWM stage (that could very well be running a software routine to trigger the backlight switching) to the backlight at some point - in the monitor I got, and that it's not implemented in some other S2440L models.

Hope this clears things up...

actually tftcentral says they were sent 2 monitors of s2440L. if tftcentral is saying they dont have pwm then the monitors should not have the hardware in them to drive pwm. the driving process would be different. so i dont understand where does the question of software being written for non existent hard ware driver arise?

your observation suggests that pwm hardware driver is present in the monitor and is being driven with bad regular pwm software which exposes the pwm since you say it is a properly working monitor.

if it is a properly working monitor then it should not have pwm hardware itself, forget the question of software.

that is where i cant make sense of your observations.

Back