Dell S-Line Screens - S2740L, S2440L, S2340M, S2340L, S2240M

Now I'm not certain if the dark corner is really caused by pressure on the panel or not. If I turn the brightness to 45 or higher, the dimness in the corner becomes much less noticeable. Does anyone else with this monitor notice that the bottom corners on their unit go dim at lower brightness settings? I'm thinking it's possible the dimness I'm seeing is due to the nature of the edge lighting system. It could be that this model is simply not designed to run at a brightness setting lower than 45 or so.

I got my S2440l today, and I love it. The blacks are amazing. But one thing that was weird is that all the references to the monitor having led backlighting has been covered with white stickers on the box. So I'm wondering if this means that the monitor doesn't have led backlighting.

I've had the S2340L since late October. The colors are great and blacks are deep, but I find that it's too black. For example, looking at this grayscale image the five leftmost bars are indistinguishable. I have contrast at 100. It's even worse with a lower contrast setting.

For comparison, I have a Dell 2001FP as my second monitor and only the 2 leftmost bars are the same shade.

I've had the S2340L since late October. The colors are great and blacks are deep, but I find that it's too black. For example, looking at this grayscale image the five leftmost bars are indistinguishable. I have contrast at 100. It's even worse with a lower contrast setting.

For comparison, I have a Dell 2001FP as my second monitor and only the 2 leftmost bars are the same shade.

It's likely a graphics card issue. S2340L connects via HDMI which means you'll have to do the following:

http://hardforum.com/showthread.php?t=1729604

I really wanted a glossy screen and S2440L being a VA panel was exactly what I was looking for. Then I found out about the utterly pointless glass covering. It contributes nothing but more glare and internal reflections between the glass and the panel itself. Style over substance -- and for no reason at all. I doubt the lack of the glass covering hurts or contributes to the sales of S2340 and S2240. Then again, I could be wrong given that most people will buy monitors according to how good they look in the store.

Also PWM. I'm glad it seems to be getting phased out industry-wide.

It's likely a graphics card issue. S2340L connects via HDMI which means you'll have to do the following:

http://hardforum.com/showthread.php?t=1729604

Does that apply to AMD video cards as well? That thread focuses on Nvidia cards.

f.lux overrides AMD's CCC settings. My eyes love f.lux at night, but I wish they would introduce some color and gamma settings. If I exit out of f.lux I can adjust the gamma settings in CCC for a proper picture, but once you get f.lux you can't go back. :(

Hi there. I know this is two years later, but I'm on the verge of buying either the Dell S2340l or S2440L. I like the edge to edge design much more, reminds me of thunderbolt disp. But the fact that its an AMVA panel puts me off a bit. I can't find a store that has both so I can compare side by side, but I see @scorpio69 has two, that is the 27" IPS and 24" AMVA. Could you perhaps post more pics of these two side buy side? It would really help me out.

got my first VA panel 8 years ago since than i am not able to use any other screen technology as a monitor or TV except plasma because i use my screens mostly in dark conditions.
If you are going to use the screen mostly the lights very dim or off, ips or tn panels are the worst thing ever. the black performance is just absymal compared to va . I have no idea why ips screens are so hyped over the years a good callibrated va panel gives exact same color accuracy compared to a ips screen yet the contrast and black levels are not %100 but %500 better.

I would never use ips or tn screen in my pc even if they pay me to . It is that bad for me.
But thats just me....

Back