Dell S-Line Screens - S2740L, S2440L, S2340M, S2340L, S2240M

My DELL S2740L came this weekend. So if any1 has any questions, i'd be pleased to answer them. I'd like to test it, but aint got any free time now :mad: so feel free to ask

IMG_4746.JPG

actually tftcentral says they were sent 2 monitors of s2440L. if tftcentral is saying they dont have pwm then the monitors should not have the hardware in them to drive pwm. the driving process would be different.

I am beginning to think that you are misinterpreting me on purpose?

1) TFT Central told me in an email that they tried 2 monitors, and did not detect any PWM.
2) TFT Central also told me in an email that ANOTHER S2440L user also had written to them, about him seeing PWM on the monitor, and that he was going to try and take pictures of it and send it to them
3) Monitor makers sometimes DO make small changes to their products, without notifying anyone, like introducing a PWM stage at some point, where there before was none, etc.

so i dont understand where does the question of software being written for non existent hard ware driver arise?

your observation suggests that pwm hardware driver is present in the monitor and is being driven with bad regular pwm software which exposes the pwm since you say it is a properly working monitor.

if it is a properly working monitor then it should not have pwm hardware itself, forget the question of software.

that is where i cant make sense of your observations.

4) Sigh... again... there is no software being written for non existent hardware. I was TRYING to explain to you how a PWM routine is written inside the PWM circuit itself in ANY monior having PWM. I have no idea how to better explain this to you, but let me try again:

TFT central got a monitor without PWM
I got a monitor WITH PWM
so... there is a hardware curcuit, which has built in software (as ANY pwm unit does) that drives the PWM in *MY* monitor. NOT the one TFT central gpt. Are we really having this discussion? It's so utterly clear?

Me talking about a typical badly written pwm routine, was just that: most pwm routines are flickering even at 100% brightness. That's the *bad* part. They wouldn't have to, if they'd added some more lines of code. Such as the PWM in MY monitor. Get it? This does not *expose* the pwm - all pwm routines can be exposed, with or without "badly" written routines.

And yes, it's a properly working PWM driven monitor. There is no hardware FAILURE or anything. It *does* work a-okay. But it does NOT have non-flickering light. You are suggesting that it is not properly working monitor because it has PWM?... it IS a properly working monitor if it has PWM or no PWM! Dell has not gone out and said "all monitors by us that some reviewers and other people have gotten that does not use PWM are properly working. And those with PWM are not"

Get it?

It IS properly working. But it has pwm. Having PWM does not make it a non properly working monitor. It's up to the manifacturer to implement it as they wish.

:) I am giving up on you if you have more questions. I had no idea how much I was going to have to explain about easy to understand matters. You'd be welcome over to see that it does indeed have pwm. Id take pictures if I owned a digital camera. Doubt they would convince you however.

AGAIN: I am NOT saying that there aren't S2440L units out there does don't flicker!! There must be flickerless units that are being sold even as we speak, otherwise people and TFT central would not report them being flicker free!! What I am saying is that there ARE units out there that DO flicker as well!!

Hope for the best when placing your order - and make sure you can return it if you do detect flicker!

dopple: I am not mad at you :) just slightly annoyed. You can buy MY S2440L at a discount if you'd like. Hey... after all.. TFT central says it does not have PWM :p So what have you got to lose? :)? If you think i was screaming a bit in this post, and going a bit overboard, it's mostly because of frustration from PWM symptoms I am getting which is making me irritated at anything.

Respect.

Last edited:
hi all.

i think that I have the answer to why I have had some small tiny problems with my otherwise wonderful dell s2440l!

Here is this wonderful monitor and by the way, i detect no PWM.

the clue came just now when i read the reply from my English lady
pen-pal, from my mail.
I had yesterday told her about my problems and she too has a sensitive system.

she told me that in her Library she will get a splitting headache in an hour, when she uses the Monitors there. "they all are widescreen" she says.
*that*, for me was the "Boing-Boing" of Realization!

in my public library, here in tallahassee, they must have about 65 to 70 computers. Often I go there and use these computers as i have no printer in my apartment or that i am just there and want to look at stuff.
many of these computers systems are old and most are donations.
the monitors also suffer from mis-adjusted settings and user messing-around, too.
but i can look at even an over-bright cffl screen for over an hour and "nothing" happens!! as restful as looking at a wall!

but these are all cffl florescent tube screens!

there is but one Common Denominator.

they all are square 4:3 screens with 4:3 aspect ratio!
NO widescreens.

now I See...pun intended.

the central vision Looks at a scene in front of the eyes. the peripheral vision scans to both sides and makes for a true 3-D image, of something looked at.
but a flatpanel widescreen is forcing the brain to process a 2-D image *as* a 3-D image.

dissonance results!

the brain tries to see this 2-D image as a three dimensional image.
this is not good. the conflict causes a headache and/or a very tired eyes and thus even nausea as the stomach and brain are linked.
the dissonance will make for dizzyness too.

the only physical solution would be to sit far far back from the screen to make that widescreen into a central focus area! this sort of defeats the whole propose of a large monitor!

as the red Indians say about white men and campfires...." white man builds firewood pile three feet high and then sits back 20 feet. we Indians build a firewood pile six inches high and then sit back two feet: we are just as warm as the white man"!

i see it now, in 2015, i have a 27" monitor and sit 15 feet back from it!

I am probably affected by this Condition more than others as i am part Indian and am a bit ADD, the Hunter genes person. I tend to use my peripheral vision probably much more than other people do!
I tend to see effects to one side of my eyes, more than other people. I will notice, for instance, a bird on a branch that is almost that max,
135 degrees, to my side from central focus!

so this is my discovery. I am not sure what i am going to do with this information, though.

none of the crts, as far as i know, are widescreen.

freestone

hi all.

i think that I have the answer to why I have had some small tiny problems with my otherwise wonderful dell s2440l!

Here is this wonderful monitor and by the way, i detect no PWM.

the clue came just now when i read the reply from my English lady
pen-pal, from my mail.
I had yesterday told her about my problems and she too has a sensitive system.

she told me that in her Library she will get a splitting headache in an hour, when she uses the Monitors there. "they all are widescreen" she says.
*that*, for me was the "Boing-Boing" of Realization!

in my public library, here in tallahassee, they must have about 65 to 70 computers. Often I go there and use these computers as i have no printer in my apartment or that i am just there and want to look at stuff.
many of these computers systems are old and most are donations.
the monitors also suffer from mis-adjusted settings and user messing-around, too.
but i can look at even an over-bright cffl screen for over an hour and "nothing" happens!! as restful as looking at a wall!

but these are all cffl florescent tube screens!

there is but one Common Denominator.

they all are square 4:3 screens with 4:3 aspect ratio!
NO widescreens.

now I See...pun intended.

the central vision Looks at a scene in front of the eyes. the peripheral vision scans to both sides and makes for a true 3-D image, of something looked at.
but a flatpanel widescreen is forcing the brain to process a 2-D image *as* a 3-D image.

dissonance results!

the brain tries to see this 2-D image as a three dimensional image.
this is not good. the conflict causes a headache and/or a very tired eyes and thus even nausea as the stomach and brain are linked.
the dissonance will make for dizzyness too.

the only physical solution would be to sit far far back from the screen to make that widescreen into a central focus area! this sort of defeats the whole propose of a large monitor!

as the red Indians say about white men and campfires...." white man builds firewood pile three feet high and then sits back 20 feet. we Indians build a firewood pile six inches high and then sit back two feet: we are just as warm as the white man"!

i see it now, in 2015, i have a 27" monitor and sit 15 feet back from it!

I am probably affected by this Condition more than others as i am part Indian and am a bit ADD, the Hunter genes person. I tend to use my peripheral vision probably much more than other people do!
I tend to see effects to one side of my eyes, more than other people. I will notice, for instance, a bird on a branch that is almost that max,
135 degrees, to my side from central focus!

so this is my discovery. I am not sure what i am going to do with this information, though.

none of the crts, as far as i know, are widescreen.

freestone
Can you describe your issues a bit? The solution could be to use the display in portrait mode. See if that helps.

Portrait mode could help, but at 24" you then have a very high portrait.

Simplest solution is to just move the monitor further back on your desk -- at least 24". I sit around 30" away from my 24" LCD.

And yeah, if you sit too close to any monitor, it's simply too much for your eyes. Or at least it is for some people. I had used CRTs my whole life, and originally wanted a 4:3 LCD, just because I was so used to that ratio. But that didn't work out so well when my 4:3" LCD broke. But now I am pretty used to 16:10... just keep it a bit back on your desk and your eyes will adjust.

Keep in mind you don't have to maximize every window either. You can make a browser window any ratio/size you want, for instance.

as is the case in 2440 with a crystalline effect, it is? On the focusing screen I really hinders crystalline effect, the eyes get tired of it fast

Well let's talk about some more helpful here!

Do you guys mind sharing your parameters for your model?

With my S2240M, I'm using the multimedia preset with brightness @45 and contrast @70.
On the paper, the contrast should be a little higher, but I lowered it a little for my eyes comfort.

I didn't touch the gamma setting at all, it seemed dead on.

I am just SO disappointed that I cannot keep my S2440L. After talking to the company in Sweden on the phone they finally let me send it back. But they were not happy hehe.

I mean, I now have to go get another one that could very well have PWM as well... probably another model and manufacturer all together. What sucks the most is I have go get a monitor with much suckier contrast, black levels, speed, way too big (27") way too big "well over HD" resolution, and other bs :(

Boo hoo.. This monitor so great on HD. sob sob

Having some damn 2560x1440 res where the HD pixels don't align properly... ack... the loss of clarity

... and all that crap for TWICE the price too :( grr...

Also I got this in the mail: (NOT from the company I bought it... from the company TFTcentral got their PWM free units!!):

"Hi <name removed>,

Unfortunately we cannot guarantee this, we do not open monitors to check as this then makes the item used. Also we are on a new batch of S2440L from the original shipment where we shipped the review unit so i'm not sure if they would also be affected

Best Regards

Simon
-----Original Message-----
Sent: 09 November 2012 20:23
To: pcbuyitsales
Subject: Enquiry from PC Buy It - Pre-sales Enquiry

Enquiry Type: Pre-sales Enquiry
Order/Invoice Number:
Telephone Number: <removed>
Enquiry Message: Hi! I'd like to order a DELL S2440L from you, however, I already have ordered one from a company in Sweden (where I live) and I got a unit WITH PWM!! (that i intend to send back) The reviewers on different pages on the internet said this was a monitor WITHOUT PWM, so DELL must have changed the specs on it very very recently. I'd like to order from YOU because the reviewers on http://www.tftcentral.co.uk/ said they had gotten two units from you that did NOT have PWM. PWM is, if you do not know, a flickering way to control the brightness level on a monitor. IE: When you turn the brightness level down to the lowest, the screen should flicker the most if it has PWM. If it does not flicker at all (at lowest setting), it is PWM free. Could you be so kind, to go out of your way for me, and check if you have a S2440L unit that does NOT flicker at the lowest brightness setting? And then "hold it" for me and write me back, so I could order THIS exact unit that does not flicker? Some people can't tell that it flickers, but it's easy to detect if you: Take the monitor to a darker room, and let your eyes shift back and forth across it several times. If you get a "stuttering" image: an image that "repeats itself" in your eyes, instead of a "smooth ghosting trail" - then it has PWM, and then I do not want it. I know this is probably the most absurd letter you ever had, but if you'd do this for me, and let me buy it so that I can return it even if you failed to see that the unit DID after all have pwm... I'd be MOST MOST MOST happy, because I can only use a computer for minutes a day since several years back because i have gone so flicker sensitive. Please please take my letter seriously, i'd love to order from you! Regards <name removed>

(their form removed all my paragraphs... hehe)

Last edited:
@syndrome

Are there any other retailers you can order it from? Or did you try Dell directly?
You could try sending an email to Dell asking about PWM, and if perhaps certain revisions have it, or not.

If it was me, I'd simply try to hunt down that same model from a retailer who has a PWM free version. Otherwise, you'll probably never be happy, as you'll always compare contrast/black levels, or something about the original you preferred. Unless you manage to find a similar monitor from a different manufacturer, using that same panel, that is, and without flicker -- but I am not aware of any other VAs (besides supposedly the Dell) that are flicker-free.

Anyone have dust behind the glass of their S2740L ? I'm talking tiny specs only visible on the inside of glass in very bright room from a few inches away.

My first one had a chip on the inside of the glass and about 7 or 8 dust spots. It went back over the chip which was a 4 or 5mm long, appeared as a white line in daylight, and when using pc in dark room, showed up like a lense.

2nd one has no chips or scratches but I have seen a few tiny dust spots. They show up as black dots stuck to inside of glass. To be honest they are not visible on a white windows desktop as the glass is offset from the panel. They can only be seen on the glass in an extremely bright sunlet room, and in that environment the monitor isn't usable really. I've also noticed slight haze on a couple different spots on the the glass but again, not only noticeable in sunlight at a certain angle, up close (a few inches away). My iMac is much worse.

I think this is par for the course with edge to edge glass screens unless you are very lucky. I suppose if I can't see these defects while using the screen (which is mainly Xbox 360 gaming), then it shouldn't bother me. The main thing I guess is no stuck or dead pixels, and an almost perfect backlight (leaving out the IPS glow).

By the way, the stand sucks as people have said. Anyone tried something simple like the Hazro stand :
http://www.tftcentral.co.uk/reviews/hazro_em31222_stand.htm

Thanks

@syndrome

Are there any other retailers you can order it from? Or did you try Dell directly?
You could try sending an email to Dell asking about PWM, and if perhaps certain revisions have it, or not.

If it was me, I'd simply try to hunt down that same model from a retailer who has a PWM free version. Otherwise, you'll probably never be happy, as you'll always compare contrast/black levels, or something about the original you preferred. Unless you manage to find a similar monitor from a different manufacturer, using that same panel, that is, and without flicker -- but I am not aware of any other VAs (besides supposedly the Dell) that are flicker-free.

Well...

18:45:09 System System
Thanks for choosing Chat to assist you in making your purchase on Dell.com. A Dell.com Chat Expert will be with you shortly. Don&#8217;t forget to ask about our $100 off XPS Ultrabook&#8482; deal.

18:45:32 Customer Daniel
i have a tough question
i want a monitor without PWM for the backlighting
and i read in reviews that some of your monitors do not use PWM for backlighting
but sadly, i got a dell s2440l that DOES use pwm =(
could you in some way find out where ...
i mean who would know at your company which revisions and which models do not use PWM? is it possible to order a monitor with no PWM?

... (cutting to it)...

18:54:04 Agent Maricel G
Thanks for wiating
18:56:09 Customer Daniel
np
18:57:39 Agent Maricel G
Upon checking, I see here that all Dell monitors uses Pulse Width modulation as they are all uses LCD and LED lights Daniel

18:58:23 Customer Daniel
theyh do huh =( aww... i was hoping to get a flicker free one
18:58:28 Customer Daniel
its strange because
some reviewers have gotten what they claim to be PWM free models when they have ordered some of your models
when they mesured the flicker they saw no flicker what so ever
the thing is that i cannot use a computer for more than a few mins a day
because i am so sensitive to flicker
18:59:40 Customer Daniel
i dont know how to resolve this
19:00:04 Agent Maricel G
I see, sorry to hear that Daniel.
19:00:19 Customer Daniel
well... thank you anyway
19:00:34 Agent Maricel G
Have you tried to check some monitors from local retial stores so you could see them personally ?
19:01:23 Agent Maricel G
You cna actually a monitor that uses lower brightness
19:02:11 Customer Daniel
well... i know i should try them out at a store... only problem is that most stores have gone bankrupt where i live :) but i know what ur saying is the best option yes
19:02:18 Customer Daniel
another problem is
that the stores usually dont have ALL the monitors in the world at once... 99.9% of monitors use PWM... so... finding one... is rare
19:02:58 Customer Daniel
i got to go.,.. thank you for your efforts however
19:03:14 Agent Maricel G
Not a problem =)
19:03:25 Customer Daniel
bye =)
19:03:39 Agent Maricel G
Anyway, I can always send you information to your email once we have that monitor available :)
19:03:50 Customer Daniel
absolutely do so

BTW: my s2440l is REV00!! I just flipped to back of it. It shocked me. If I have REV00 it should be the first model and how the hell could then other people have PWM free and me not?? =( =(

über strange...

So much for contacting Dell then.

You could try asking to speak to a tech person, rather than online chat, although who knows if the results will be any different.

When I had my Dell 2412 I had to deal with their customer service... I forgot how painful that can be.

The other thing you could try is simply ordering one from Dell, and return it if it has flicker. I am not sure about return policies in your country, but will assume they are the same all over. But to avoid a restocking fee I think it has to have something wrong with it... and flicker probably wouldn't qualify. I guess you could always say it has some bleed, or dust behind the glass, etc.

Or try amazon or buy.com, as I think they have good return policies (check first though).

Yeah I was going to email them, however I can't get pass the "fill out your serial" because there is NO serial what so ever behind my monitor... i swear... there is no sticker at all anywere. just a REV00 sticker.

I was thinking i'd fill in some other serial i found online but aaahhh.. the HASSLE.

I know that emailing them will probably bring up the same answer. At any big company the people who work there are normal people who do not built the monitors.

Id have to get my email forwarded to someone who has HUGE knowledge... finding that person... probably next to impossible...

Yeah well i am thinking about getting a cheap old U2312HM. Supposedly it does not have pwm. Sadly, it's a dell.

ack. ack. hope for the best :) ill report to you when i gotten my hands on a PWM free model of any kind.

edit: i'm gonna scratch the U2312HM off my list... it has FRC = color flicker.

Last edited:
Try calling them directly, then ask to speak to a technical advisor regarding their monitors. You can even fib and say you are planning on a large order or something. All companies do have tech people who actually know something about the products they sell -- but you may have to jump through hoops to get to such people.

Unfortunately for Dell, you have about 3+ layers of customer support/overseas reps to get through first. And all they do is read off whatever pre-canned answers that have been provided to them.

Yeah I was going to email them, however I can't get pass the "fill out your serial" because there is NO serial what so ever behind my monitor... i swear... there is no sticker at all anywere. just a REV00 sticker.

edit: i'm gonna scratch the U2312HM off my list... it has FRC = color flicker.

hi syndrome.

maybe that is the problem! the first unit off of the assembly line!

maybe, also, you got a counterfeit model! seems a bit early to have this problem, but i read once that someone from microsoft was visiting in China and the next windows version was due to be released in six months but as he walked down a row of street stalls, there was that bootleg version of the new windows, out for sale!!

indeed. you could indeed have a fake model, made in SloTainia by
dirty-clothed workers working to assemble stuff in an old meat packing plant, at night, and shipped across ten borders in unmarked trucks!

[edit]
i checked the back of my s2440l. there is a serial number sticker there.

I have Suspicions. you do not have a dell s2440l monitor! it might say so on the box or even on the Thing, but there is something Wonky and Off, here.

you might even report this to dell!

freestone

Last edited:
not every version of the S2440L has PWM or flicker, there's quite a few reports and reviews out there of units without it. does seem to be a bit hit and miss though!

besides the health symptoms how do you test for pwm flicker without a high speed camera?

put it at the lowest brightness and see through a regular camera for flicker?

besides the health symptoms how do you test for pwm flicker without a high speed camera?

put it at the lowest brightness and see through a regular camera for flicker?

The "fast moving hand" shows a terrible strobo-effect...

can you guys check which panel is in your S2440L the PWM free panel is M240HVN01 V0 as per tftcentral.

Sorry, the one i had has already gone back to the shop. - As far as i remember, the sticker on the back showed something like Vers. A0

The tricky thing with the camera: My cheap Panasonic-Camera also did not show flicker! But for the eyes and the "hand" it was clear.- If you read the PRAD-review you will find that the PWM-Frequency is quite high but on the other hand the "Tast-Rate" (don't really know the English expression) is low. - I am sorry that i can't publish the results her, because they earn their money with this reviews. - On Dec. 17 it will be free for all.

You can't go reliably by videos or hand waving. There's a very simple step which can be used with any camera really described in TFTcentrals article. That's a good way to test it

The revision sticker on the back of the screen is only the revision of the screen and has nothing to do with the panel being used. There won't be anything other than rev A00 out there at the moment. You'd need to take the back off the screen to check the panel too as dell hide that info from their factory OSD menu nowadays

I wonder if Dell may have done a switcharoo, giving PWM free versions to review sites early on, then swapping them back to PWM for mass production.

Or perhaps it is simply certain revisions that are PWM free based on region. It is bizarre if there are two versions of this monitor out there already ... not like it's been released for very long.

Ps PWM use or not, I can't help feel some people are worrying over nothing and deciding they don't like the screen based purely on whether it does or doesn't use it. Remember 99% of all screens use it really and apparently the frequency is high (on units with PWM) so it should in theory be even less problematic than other screens

I wonder if Dell may have done a switcharoo, giving PWM free versions to review sites early on, then swapping them back to PWM for mass production.

Or perhaps it is simply certain revisions that are PWM free based on region. It is bizarre if there are two versions of this monitor out there already ... not like it's been released for very long.

The TFTcentral units ( they had 2) were from regular retailer stock at random and not from Dell as they've confirmed

I just bought S2240L, its a decent monitor. Movies look real good on it, and seems to handle games without any problem. But sometimes after waking up from power nap, the screen goes black whenever I move the mouse. Rebooting the pc seems to fix it, but its definitely something to look into before I decide to keep it.

I just bought S2240L, its a decent monitor. Movies look real good on it, and seems to handle games without any problem. But sometimes after waking up from power nap, the screen goes black whenever I move the mouse. Rebooting the pc seems to fix it, but its definitely something to look into before I decide to keep it.

what connector and OS are you using?

I have S2240M, purchased from Amazon. I have been using a 4:3 HP LP2065 IPS monitor for long time now. For every Dell wide-screen that I tried over the years, I have been able perceive uniformity issues. The viewing angle tests at Lagom LCD Test website are the best example for seeing this at its greatest degree (specifically the first image).

On my S2240M, the left side of the screen is cooler moving toward the center it is neutral and has a slightly warmer appearance on the right side. This is noticeable to a lesser extent while web browsing, but on common white backgrounds the left side almost has a feint blue tint while scanning left to right.

I am sure this appearance is affected by viewing angle. When the screen is to my left I and I am viewing at a nearly parallel angle, the entire screen appears cooler, while the opposite is true when viewing it in the same manner from the right.

I am not sure if it is a coincidence or not, but on a completely black screen the IPS glow coming from the left side of the screen is yellowish while from the right it is blueish.

I have been able to limit the intensity of what I am able to perceive by raising the center of screen to my eye level (on a stand) and increasing my normal view distance slightly (~24 inches).

I know the relevance of this is not really applicable to the S2440L due to it being a different panel type, but has anyone else with S2240/S2340 been able to perceive something similar in the quality of their screens? If this is fairly common, I am pretty sure I would be willing to settle with it, because it is such an affordable screen at ~$142.

what connector and OS are you using?

Video Card: XFX 4890
Connector: Hdmi with hdmi to Dvi adapter.

I clean out old the video card driver and reinstall Cat. 12.6, that seem to have fix it. Hopefully there will be no more problems, but only time will tell.

uh oh i know that one.. saw it on ccfl backlit monitors.

can you guys check which panel is in your S2440L the PWM free panel is M240HVN01 V0 as per tftcentral.

you can check the panel via the factory menu http://josh.st/2008/05/02/dell-2707wfp-lcd-monitor-service-menu/ - hope this method works.

sigh.

mine does not flicker! my s2440l does not.

here is another Idea. there is a concept well known on these forums called "the panel lottery"!
---this is where a major company subcontracts out the actual panel to
a factory elsewhere. *many* factories!
Like i think one major trusted manufacturer, while they made some panels of their own, they subcontracted many of them out to other manufacturers, partly due to the high demand and limited stock.
In this one monitor, there were like three or four panel types made, all only identifiable by some arcane repair menu number. several of the panel-makers had panels SO poorly made that one might as well, as the guy wrote, might as well just go ahead and bu a $130 24" tn panel-model!

So i suspect that for Europe, at least, the panels sometimes come from "factory B" instead of the "Factory A" that dell intended and advertises.

see...suppose a panel made to dell specs cost $50 to make. the subcontracted factory, somewhere in another country altogether, substitutes a cheaper PWM control and saving the factory $10. now multiply that $10 by a million panels and you can see why this was done to the panel parts!
Dell would have no idea!
How could they even control this. the factory is in another country and tech support is terrible there.
---this is another way to say "counterfeit parts"!
something like a monitor is nothing but a collection of Parts, any one of them could be counterfeited. and even the Company might not know for months and months!

that is why this is called "the panel lottery". you buy and you take your chances.

freestone

Cant really rag on Dell for being inconsequent with a feature that most people never will notice and its not even an official property of the monitor. Its more of an altruistic move by Dell to have this at all. The reason could be something as simple as they had already produced PCBs with PWM dimming before taking the decision to move to PWM-free design. Could also be that there are not enough of the required new PWM-free electronics components to meet monitor demand.

EIZO's new EV-series, on the other handm are marketed as being PWM-free or 'Hybrid PWM dimming' as they call it. Which means that they dim down to 20% PWM free and the rest of the way down to 0 nits. In this case it would be a breach if they did deliver monitors that did have PWM dimming all the way.

Video Card: XFX 4890
Connector: Hdmi with hdmi to Dvi adapter.

I clean out old the video card driver and reinstall Cat. 12.6, that seem to have fix it. Hopefully there will be no more problems, but only time will tell.

for clean testing i use a single os on the hdd winxp x86 without any adapters or converters.. generally dvi-dvi gives the best results for checking if hardware is the issue or not.

A panel lottery seems to be a possibility but would be good to see someone with a PWM version take the back off and check for us

Cant really rag on Dell for being inconsequent with a feature that most people never will notice and its not even an official property of the monitor. Its more of an altruistic move by Dell to have this at all. The reason could be something as simple as they had already produced PCBs with PWM dimming before taking the decision to move to PWM-free design. Could also be that there are not enough of the required new PWM-free electronics components to meet monitor demand.

Couldn't agree more. A lot of fuss for something most people would never notice anyway

i don't think flicker is irrelevant entirely. i was at the benq workshop today and saw some models being repaired. one of the cheap ones had no flicker it was benq g2020 hd incase anyone wants to buy a cheap flicker free monitor.

http://www.prad.de/en/guide/screen8283.html i think this might be the same as s2440L panel but specs look better than s2440L.. it has dvi/dp/reading mode etc.

i wonder what the reading settings are over here http://www.benq.com/product/monitor/bl2410pt/ this could be easily used in s2440L :D

Dont get me wrong. I think PWM flicker is very relevant. I just dont think its fair to blame Dell for 'bait-and-switch', in this case. I'm just glad they seem to care enough to attempt to fix this unnecessary flicker madness.

Dopple: G2020HD is a CCFL. Could be some strange type of dimming for CCFL only, but the most probable case is fugly dimming by reducing input values. You get the same effect by reducing contrast in monitor settings or graphics card settings. Many laptop screens probably does this since its the simplest way to do dimming. Although there are laptop screens that does DC dimming too.

More on thread topic: Noone has anything to report on overdrive properties and PWM dimming on the 23" and 21.5" models?

This "I can't help feel some people are worrying over nothing and deciding they don't like the screen based purely on whether it does or doesn't use it"

Whats next "I just went to my Doctor and they dont have anything for PMW"

Haha I loved this "I am sure Dell sent them a free PMW".

Strange but I read people and reviews say my Asus PB278 has PMW yet no lie here not ONE person can see it. Turn brightness all they way down you name it no one can see it. Oh I think Asus really likes me and gave me one free of PMW .yeah thats it.

So lets come back from la la land. If you dont like it send it back buy something else.

Back