Dell S-Line Screens - S2740L, S2440L, S2340M, S2340L, S2240M

My S2740L arrived yesterday from PCBuyIT. Around 360 euro including delivery. Only had a chance to power it up last night and plug xbox 360 in. PC build still in progress.

Very impressed. No scratches, stuck pixels, or any major light bleed. Condensation not an issue either. Typical IPS glow is there which I don't mind. Nice rich colours, and I like the gloss finish as used to imac and will be playing in dark room with an antec bias lighting strip on back. I've noticed game mode gives a very nice picture very suitable to the xbox 360. Just had to turn brighness down to 50%. Also using RGB, and set the Xbox 360 hdmi level to expanded which usually crushes blacks on HDTV's but works fine on this screen. Have not noticed any inverse ghosting in games. Only tried Skyrim and Halo anniversary so far.

Does anyone have any recommended settings for this screen ? The range of adjustments seems very limited coming from a HDTV.

Thanks

I picked up a couple of the S2340M yesterday from Fry's for $138 each, but haven't opened them yet because Frys now has a 15% restocking fee for monitors. I was planning on trying them out and if I didn't like them would just return, but thats not really an option now.

Do you guys think there will be a better deal on a comparable monitor around Black Friday and through the holidays?

I picked up the S2340M today. Obviously a budget monitor but, in my mind, a step up from my 2407wfp. I was getting tired of the matte display.

Color saturation is great, blacks are amazing, reflection is not bad at all. Images look like they are sitting right on top of the glass. Whereas I work on imacs all day and while they have excellent screens, I can still tell that they are "behind" the glass. Only complaint I have with the S2340 is that there is some noticeable dithering with blues. It almost looks like an inkjet printer at times, the way they made those vertical streaks. Not enough to get me to return it though.

I picked up a couple of the S2340M yesterday from Fry's for $138 each, but haven't opened them yet because Frys now has a 15% restocking fee for monitors. I was planning on trying them out and if I didn't like them would just return, but thats not really an option now.

Do you guys think there will be a better deal on a comparable monitor around Black Friday and through the holidays?

$138 for this kind of monitor is an awesome deal! I highly doubt it can get lower than that.
If you like glossy monitor, you'll love it!
Just open one!

S2340 in action. I'm not a pro photographer by any means but I tried to get the pics exposed to what you would see in person. For some reason this resulted in weird vertical dark bands in some of the colors. I could get rid of them with a few changes, but then the pics didn't look as accurate. No clue what causes this.

Daytime, window with slatted blinds just to the left.
ta4gaa.jpg

Nighttime, overhead lights on. You may just be able to make out the reflection of my hands on either side of the splash.
midtox.jpg

Side by side with my 2407wfp
2yocya8.jpg

Last edited:
Surprise!!! It does look just the same as the 2240M! Just a little bit bigger!
You can see that only bottom part is not edge to edge, I doubt this makes any difference about the reflections.

With this monitor, you just don't want any window in your back, that's it.
But who sets his monitor like that...?

@jwhazel Nice pic! and nice keyboard :)

Thanks for the pics!!!

Now i'm just not sure what to get the 23inch version which is IPS or the 24inch which is MVA

So do these line of monitors have the same color/picture quality as the U2412M ?

A quick question I hope someone can answer:
The 27" only says it's VESA mountable in the specs. Does that mean you can buy a height adjustable stand (such as from monoprice) and put it on that?

The only thing keeping me from getting it is I need to lower the monitor all the way down to desk height (like the u2711 and u2713hm basically can)

Thanks

Yes as long as the stand, arm or wall mount is VESA 100 mm compliant

That's great to hear. Thanks for the reply
I dont understand then why the non-adjusting stand is a big drawback (for the 27"), as replacement vesa stands are only $20-30. (other than having to pay extra for it).

Any suggestions for a good stand? I don't know anything about vesa stands, but found these two -- I assume they would work?
http://www.monoprice.com/products/p...=10828&cs_id=1082808&p_id=5970&seq=1&format=2
http://www.monoprice.com/products/p...=10828&cs_id=1082808&p_id=5402&seq=1&format=2

Also, is it pretty simply to make the switch? (These monitors seem pretty thin and don't want to screw through the display)

thanks

The S2240M is on sale at Fry's this week for $128.

You guys think at $138 the S2340M is a better deal?

I'm torn between the two sizes now as the 21.5" will have a higher ppi density compared to the 23", but not sure if that will make a noticeable difference in actuality.

I'm torn between the two sizes now as the 21.5" will have a higher ppi density compared to the 23", but not sure if that will make a noticeable difference in actuality.

I picked the 21.5" for that reason. Unfortunately I haven't seen the 23" version...
If you're like me, obsessed with the pixel pitch, stick with 21.5".
I personally feel 21.5" is big enough and at that price which may even go lower during the holidays, you may pick a second one!

It looks like theyre slashing the -m (dvi) prices everywhere. They do have the s2440l up on amazon right now for $200 though. It's not even listed as a sale or anything..

Hi, I want to buy the S2740L, but I dont know how bad the ghosting and the reflections are. Can one of the owners tell me about it? The room where the monitor will stand, has only one window and I can dim the light in the room, but how bad are reflections during daytime even when there is no sunlight shining on the monitor? Is the ghosting really noticeable? I never saw any ghosting on my previous monitors, so this might not be a problem for me then, hm? I want to use it primarily for gaming(consoles) and movies. The Acer S275hl will be avaible on 11/22/12 here in Germany, but I dont know, if I can wait that long =/... I thought about buying the AOC I2757fm, but I guess its picture quality isnt as good as the Dells, right?

Went to bestbuy and saw the 24" and 23" dells. The 24" reflections were awful, way more than my apple cinema display. The 2340m on the other hand was awesome. If I was in the market for another display, it would be my choice (and it's surprisingly cheaper.)

Went to bestbuy and saw the 24" and 23" dells. The 24" reflections were awful, way more than my apple cinema display. The 2340m on the other hand was awesome. If I was in the market for another display, it would be my choice (and it's surprisingly cheaper.)

Is the 2340M the same as the 2340L? The edge to edge glass is only on the 2440L and 2740L right?

Did you notice any backlight bleed from the display model?

I'm thinking about the 2340L for a Mac Mini.

I think they're the same except the L has HDMI while the M has DVI. The 24L and 27L are not good imo because the glass is so far away from the actual lcd that it produces almost a double reflection. I can't comment on the backlight bleed due to instore lighting.

Still curious how does this line of monitors compare to U2312HM and U2412M in terms of picture quality.

I think they're the same except the L has HDMI while the M has DVI. The 24L and 27L are not good imo because the glass is so far away from the actual lcd that it produces almost a double reflection. I can't comment on the backlight bleed due to instore lighting.

Thanks. I did a bit more research and it's just the S2440L and S2740L that are edge to edge.

I like glossy monitors, but those models are overkill by the looks of it.

The S2240L and S2340L are just what I'm after, so I have to decide if the inch difference is worth 30 Euro more. I'd be sat about 48 inches from the screen.

When viewing such a small (<23") display from such a far distance (4ft) the resolution doesn't really matter. 1080p on a 27" is fine until you get <1.5ft away, at 4ft, the resolution won't be a problem unless you will be using binoculars.

The S2440L is on sale for $240 this week at Best Buy. I was able to get one for me and one for my dad.

I dunno, it looked pretty good to me in the store--it was obvious even in those poor conditions that the black level was far superior to all the other monitors, and the reflections didn't seem so severe. It probably didn't do much good but I did also look closely for overdrive artifacting during the video demo loop, but I couldn't see any. Of course, I'll know more later once I hook it up and try it out properly.

I'm currently using my old, trusty 19" Hyundai L90D+ from 2005, so no doubt this will be a big step up. However, I have to say that I've only reverted back to the Hyundai after my beautiful Sony FW900 bit the dust a while back :( And I'm a looooong time CRT user, so, I will be probably be pretty critical in my analysis of this thing :)

The S2440L is on sale for $240 this week at Best Buy. I was able to get one for me and one for my dad.

I dunno, it looked pretty good to me in the store--it was obvious even in those poor conditions that the black level was far superior to all the other monitors, and the reflections didn't seem so severe. It probably didn't do much good but I did also look closely for overdrive artifacting during the video demo loop, but I couldn't see any. Of course, I'll know more later once I hook it up and try it out properly.

I'm currently using my old, trusty 19" Hyundai L90D+ from 2005, so no doubt this will be a big step up. However, I have to say that I've only reverted back to the Hyundai after my beautiful Sony FW900 bit the dust a while back :( And I'm a looooong time CRT user, so, I will be probably be pretty critical in my analysis of this thing :)

yes please waiting for your analysis of eye strain etc.

Anyone using the 2740l for an eyefinity setup? If so how is the glossy panels at angle?

hi all.

my S2440l came today, Amazon shipping was quick.

I am not a technical techie so that photos and color settings and the like are not going to be done.

I set it up while the sun was still out. plus the kitchen lights were on and are on now.
yes there is reflection but I do not notice it unless a very bright light strikes the screen.

I fiddled a bit with the settings, may do so some more; i like a darker screen then some.
people
seemingly no stuck pixels.
24" of goodness.

i will tell you all what I did NOT notice!
with my NEC ips 23wmi monitor and even worse with an older hp 21 inch tn panel, when i used them for a while, i would walk away with a spacy dizzy head and my vision takes an hour to get back to normal.
I never did like flours-ant lights. even if there is no flickr, there is something about them that causes a slight nausea and dizzyness.

So far i have not noticed any of this with this Monitor!!
maybe it is that the led lights "work" with my brain and eyes; i am so glad there is no led-flicker.

yes there is a slight screen door effect, but i see that all monitor have this to some degree even the apple 27" cinema display!

photos look wonderful.

I was going to buy the Dell S2240L for $149, but Dell website is having problems. I can log in and even when I change my password, it still won't work.

hi all.

my S2440l came today, Amazon shipping was quick.

I am not a technical techie so that photos and color settings and the like are not going to be done.

I set it up while the sun was still out. plus the kitchen lights were on and are on now.
yes there is reflection but I do not notice it unless a very bright light strikes the screen.

I fiddled a bit with the settings, may do so some more; i like a darker screen then some.
people
seemingly no stuck pixels.
24" of goodness.

i will tell you all what I did NOT notice!
with my NEC ips 23wmi monitor and even worse with an older hp 21 inch tn panel, when i used them for a while, i would walk away with a spacy dizzy head and my vision takes an hour to get back to normal.
I never did like flours-ant lights. even if there is no flickr, there is something about them that causes a slight nausea and dizzyness.

So far i have not noticed any of this with this Monitor!!
maybe it is that the led lights "work" with my brain and eyes; i am so glad there is no led-flicker.

yes there is a slight screen door effect, but i see that all monitor have this to some degree even the apple 27" cinema display!

photos look wonderful.

that is very good freestonew congrats!

freestonew, thanks for your mini review, but seeing this:

DSC05316.jpg

it's hard to believe you don't see any reflections.

My room is rather dark. There's a window on my right, but for the most time I keep the blinds shut. I took my laptop which also has very reflective screen, but not as reflective as S2440L. Even with window blinds shut and no artificial light I still could see my reflection on darker parts of the screen.

Anyway, it would be nice if you could post some photos just to confirm your version (not that I think you're lying - I just want to see some more photos of S2440L :D).

But as you can see on the pictures the 23inch version isnt so reflective as the 24 and 27 version

Back